Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Nothing against Renee Zellwegger, but I was really hoping for a shocking upset in the Best Actress category.

It looks like I've really got to see "Parasite" now. Is this the first time a movie has won Best Picture and Best Foreign Film?

• Love 4
5 hours ago, superdeluxe said:

Yeah, I haven’t seen it and probably never will.  But like I said earlier in this thread, I read up on it.  I read the synopsis twice and I was like, “People are losing their minds over this?”  Based on that and what happened tonight with the loud reaction, I don’t get it.  The over-the-top adoration is confusing.

I have seen it and it did not blow me away. However, it was an odd, interesting movie and I’m glad it won best picture because it should have had no chance. I will say the movie is laugh out funny in several spots and I thought the most interesting thing about it is I could not peg it as one genre.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, mojoween said:
8 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Given Billie’s knowledge of music history, her reaction to Eminem’s performance could be because she had no idea who that old man was.

Old man?  Lol.  Well I guess to her he is. But yeah he getting close to 50.

I haven’t watched Parasite yet.  I want to believe it’s some kind of masterpiece but I just can’t take Hollywood seriously anymore   I feel there is some kind of agenda or story arc.  “First film to win in a foreign language.”  “First film to win both international and best picture.” “Look how accepting we are”....it just doesn’t feel natural.  Also reading the plot it seems this movie has a social agenda also.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Billina said:

I disagree.  I think they work just fine, without a host.  But, if it has to happen again, I wouldn't mind seeing Steve Martin and Chris Rock, tag team it.  They were funny.

But i didn't understand why steve martin was acting like an out of touch old man. I don't think he is and it felt weird and i kind o f cringed.

Well, that was pretty bad.  Not the worst Oscars show since I started watching in the mid-70s, but not far from it.  Please, please Academy - next year just hire Chris Rock to host and spare us this dull mess!

The opening number wasn't Rob Lowe/Snow White levels of bad, but that's a really low bar.  Hey, at least Janell Monae can sing, unlike Billie Eilish, who  was dreadful.

The wrong movie won Best Picture, imo, but since it was the second best film nominated, we're not talking Titanic levels of travesty either. 

The other winners were pretty much fine, although the Original Song nominations were not good this year.  Second-rate Elton John, second-rate Randy Newman, okay Harriet Tubman song, and two pieces of dreck which should never have been nominated, ugh.  Mary Steenburgen was robbed of a nominated for Glasgow.  And the musical performances were lackluster and boring, except for Eminem's fantastic performance of Lose Yourself - can we just award it the Oscar this year instead?  (Side note: being stuck in a theater for 3 hours with Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenowith yelling at me is my idea of hell.)

The speeches were nothing special, although Brad Pitt's was charming and Laura Dern's was quite nice.  And I was amused by Roger Deakins' comment that he was actually a pretty good cook, following up on one of the few amusing presenter bits: Julia Louis Dreyfus and Will Ferrell getting the job of cinematographer all kinds of wrong.  Joaquin Phoenix, on the other hand, is why the mute button was invented; if I wanted to watch bat-crap crazy, I'd watch reruns of Tyra Banks on America's Next Top Model - at least that was entertaining.  Plus, I'm not watching the Oscars to get lectured about milk; get back to me when the alternatives aren't terrible for the planet and/or my thyroid function.

Basically, they, Olivia Coleman, Chris Rock and Steve Martin were the only presenter highlights.  Mostly they ranged from eh to "what the hell is wrong with Maya Rudolph and Kristen Wiig, and why won't they present the award already?!?".

So, to sum up, I wasted my night and stayed up way too late for very little.  I coulda just listened to Eminem on my Ipod and been more entertained.

9 hours ago, Bees52 said:

That's what I want to know.

It was a very good movie, but didn't deserve Best Picture, imo.  But it wasn't an egregious mistake either.

• Love 3

I love Yesterday, but not that rendition.  I also think the lyrics don’t fit with the moment:  “I said something wrong, now she’s gone?”  No.  She sounded awful, and the problem with having a singer is that TPTB then think we want to see the singer rather than the people they are honoring.  They also need to mute the audience so we don’t hear any clapping.  

• Love 10
On 2/9/2020 at 10:28 PM, bmoore4026 said:

Now I have to see Parasite.  And Joker.  And Bombshell.  And Little Women.  And 1917.

Good for Parasite, though.  It's great when an underdog story happens in real life.

1917 was fantastic.  Parasite was very good.  Little Women was good, not great.  Joker was not good.  Haven't seen Bombshell.

On 2/9/2020 at 10:35 PM, Jaded said:

I'm really surprised they only went 30 minutes over. 

It felt like hours.

On 2/9/2020 at 10:42 PM, thuganomics85 said:

I still think they're actually doing fine with no host.

I think they desperately need a host, a good one like Chris Rock.

• Love 6

Funny how sometimes clips from the Academy Awards can sway me in wanting to see a movie or not.  

Clips from Ford Vs. Ferrari made me want to head to the library and check out the DVD.

The more clips I see of Florence Pugh as Amy March, the more I never want to see that version of Little Women

Edited by MissAlmond
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, blackwing said:

The Oscars need a host.  They really do.  They need a comedian who can be funny and keep the show moving. Tiffany Haddish!!!

I could get behind that selection.

8 hours ago, Billina said:

I disagree.  I think they work just fine, without a host.  But, if it has to happen again, I wouldn't mind seeing Steve Martin and Chris Rock, tag team it.  They were funny.

I've found that tag-team hosts rarely work, but they could.  They were very funny.  And the show desperately needs a host.

8 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Unlike most I liked Billie Eilish's singing (and I am NOT a fan of hers), but agree that a somber instrumental would be more appropriate for the In Memoriam segment.

Really?  She was off-key almost as much as she was on-key.

8 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Deakins winning the Cinematography award was my if-someone-else-wins-I-riot category, so that made me happy. I didn't think the best song won, but can't really begrudge Bernie Taupin being honored.

I'm with you on Cinematography.  Anyone else would've been a travesty.  I did think the best NOMINATED song won, but it was hardly the best song out there this year.  The song nominations sucked.

8 hours ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

I'll be in the party of one of having liked Joaquin's speech. I don't care how long it was. There have been ones that were as long or much longer. I don't remember quite how long her speech was, but I think Olivia Coleman's speech last year was pretty long. I know it was funny and charming, but either you have a problem with speech length or you don't. This is a major accolade for these people - and I know they technically have an allotted time to give a speech - so I don't mind if they get out what they need to say, especially not if it's just some grocery list of names. If you've watched many awards shows you have to know that major actors are going to be given a lot more leeway for speech length than ordinary or less famous folk. 

It wasn't the length which was the problem - it was the rambling bat-shit craziness, and not in an entertaining way.  He's why there's a mute button on my remote.

8 hours ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

Well, again, his moment so he can say what he likes. I get that it's funny to joke about, but it was one part of his speech. The whole thing wasn't about cow insemination.

It's all anyone will remember about it.  And in his honor, I put milk on my cereal and in my coffee this morning.  Cheers!

7 hours ago, slowpoked said:

I think you just addressed your own concern - there’s no way you will understand the reactions on a movie you haven’t seen, and will never see.

I have seen it, and still don't get all the love.  It was very good, don't get me wrong, but not that spectacular.

6 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

I would like to eat a bacon double cheeseburger in front of Joaquin Phoenix.  Just for kicks

I'll join you.

• LOL 3
12 hours ago, irisheyes said:

Is "Hair Love" available for free viewing?  I'd love to show it to my students this week when it's supposed to rain every single day during recess.

Hair love is available on u tube I downloaded it yesterday

8 hours ago, shoregirl said:

Its nice to see that the Academy has finally seemed to get over a foreign language film winning best picture.

Now if they could just get over their wild bias against superhero movies, we'd be getting somewhere.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Re: political remarks by actors ("And the Oscar for 'Most Cogent Political Comments in an Acceptance Speech' goes to...."). Why the heck not?  Billionaire businessmen get to own radio stations, newspapers, and television networks to put across their political beliefs.

Just because a person is an elected official doesn't mean he or she is among the only people who can speak to the issues of the day. Creative people are always the first destroyed by tyrants, because art is dangerous to power. So I welcome their use of the bully pulpit of the microphone to go beyond the superficial. 

I don't have a problem with political and/or social commentary in acceptance speeches.  I do have a problem with rambling craziness.

12 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

Clips of Florence Pugh as Amy March made me never want to see that version of Little Women.

She's not much like the book.

2 minutes ago, yowsah1 said:

Now if they could just get over their wild bias against superhero movies, we'd be getting somewhere.

Most of them aren't award worthy.  A few, maybe.

• Love 4
52 minutes ago, seasons said:

But i didn't understand why steve martin was acting like an out of touch old man. I don't think he is and it felt weird and i kind o f cringed.

It's become part of his comic persona now, and it works for me.

Count me among those who thought Parasite was "fine" but not more than that. I hate to say it, but if the exact same movie had been made by an American production company with an American cast, it would have received good reviews, but would not have been considered Oscar material. It was the Academy's year to be "international." 

Also, I'd like to see how those seated in the first ten rows would react if a poor family took over their house.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

Given Billie’s knowledge of music history, her reaction to Eminem’s performance could be because she had no idea who that old man was.

I still can recall my David Bowie-obsessed best friend getting POed about Avril Lavigne pronouncing it like "bough-ie" at some awards show.

• Love 1

I will be at my very lonely table for one with liking Billie Eilish and being fine with her performance during the memoriam segment.

34 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

The more clips I see of Florence Pugh as Amy March, the more I never want to see that version of Little Women

I loved her as Amy March. I would say that Greta's version of Little Women is probably my favorite.

• Love 5

Now this is how you memorialize a legendary actor....

I haven’t watched Parasite yet.  I want to believe it’s some kind of masterpiece but I just can’t take Hollywood seriously anymore   I feel there is some kind of agenda or story arc.  “First film to win in a foreign language.”  “First film to win both international and best picture.” “Look how accepting we are”....it just doesn’t feel natural.  Also reading the plot it seems this movie has a social agenda also.

I understand what you are saying, but I'd express this - cinema is an international art form.  Maybe there is an agenda, but maybe also it is simply the best of the bunch.  This was voted on by the Academy, not the gen pop, and they didn't ask me, nobody sent me a ballot.  Shame too, I would have enjoyed that!  Given there's been some really spectacular non-english speaking films within just the past 25 years I think it's damn time, and am still a bit surprised that Roma didn't win last year.  Masterpiece I suppose is in the eye of the beholder.  Vertigo is frequently hailed as the best picture of all time, and I hate it.  You could say that Spotlight has a social agenda, or Moonlight as well.

• Love 12
9 hours ago, ProudMary said:

There are actually two upcoming properties celebrating the life and career of Aretha Franklin. Cynthia Erivo is playing Aretha in the Nat Geo TV series Genius.  Jennifer Hudson will be playing Aretha in the film, Respect set to be released late this summer.

Oh I know, but my point was that Erivo shouldn't be playing Aretha.

• Love 2

It annoys me that someone is always left out of the "Memoriam" segment and that the reasons for doing so are always bullshit. If time is an issue, they need to shorten or eliminate any of the hundred other filler segments they always have.

And will you PLEASE alphabetize the damn thing?!

• Love 6
12 hours ago, mtlchick said:

I have nothing against Billie Eilish, but Yesterday? PASS. 

It was HORRID. SHE was HORRID. And who the fuck came up with that song as a choice? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE that song. But she ruined it.

12 hours ago, anna0852 said:

She sounds like she's singing through clenched teeth

Thank you! I was thinking the same thing. And her uber, FUGLY overlong nails were so distracting. I kept thinking: how does she NOT scratch up her face?

12 hours ago, mojoween said:

Fuck this noise.  In Memoriam is just fine with an instrumental.  Billie has her fans and that’s great, but I am not in that number and definitely not for this song.

Can I sit at your table?

12 hours ago, wallflower75 said:

Yeah.  I mean...usually they include a couple of clips here and there from the big names.  This time around, nothing.

Yes! I was expecting to hear five to six second clips from the better, well known stars, and especially from Kirk. And was Kobe an Academy member? I thought only members were included. Or did he get special dispensation?

12 hours ago, TVFan17 said:

I have nothing against the song "Yesterday" -- I think it's beautiful.  However, I did not like Billie's version at all.  She did the song no favors, nor did the song do her any favors.  Not a good choice for her.

1000 times this!

This show definitely needs a host. Like I said many pages back, Eddie Murphy would be a good one. Trevor Noah I think, would also do a good job.

• Love 7

In agreement that Parasite was good but not ground breaking. Not mad that it won, but I preferred 1917. I think that film was just well made all around - acting, directing - visually just great. Parasite's change in tone halfway through was a little jarring to me and I felt disconnected from it.

I tell people Renee gave a phenomenal performance in a mediocre film. Her voice didn't sound like Garland, but she had the mannerisms down pat and there were times I totally forgot it was Renee playing the role. But her speech was...odd.

I also really liked Marriage Story and that scene in the apartment between the 2 where they finally get it all out was, to me, the best written and acted scene in any movie the entire year. I wanted it to win screenplay because it was good.

My biggest complaint is the over attempt at diversity. We did not need people to present the presenters and most of them were minorities so it felt like pandering to include as many POC as possible. Also, having the woman conduct the score segment was terrible to me. It only pointed out that they didn't choose a woman in the first place (and nothing against the actual conductor).

Edited by xander874
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

The other winners were pretty much fine, although the Original Song nominations were not good this year.  Second-rate Elton John, second-rate Randy Newman, okay Harriet Tubman song, and two pieces of dreck which should never have been nominated, ugh.  Mary Steenburgen was robbed of a nominated for Glasgow.  And the musical performances were lackluster and boring, except for Eminem's fantastic performance of Lose Yourself - can we just award it the Oscar this year instead?  (Side note: being stuck in a theater for 3 hours with Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenowith yelling at me is my idea of hell.)

The speeches were nothing special, although Brad Pitt's was charming and Laura Dern's was quite nice.  And I was amused by Roger Deakins' comment that he was actually a pretty good cook, following up on one of the few amusing presenter bits: Julia Louis Dreyfus and Will Ferrell getting the job of cinematographer all kinds of wrong.  Joaquin Phoenix, on the other hand, is why the mute button was invented; if I wanted to watch bat-crap crazy, I'd watch reruns of Tyra Banks on America's Next Top Model - at least that was entertaining.  Plus, I'm not watching the Oscars to get lectured about milk; get back to me when the alternatives aren't terrible for the planet and/or my thyroid function.

Basically, they, Olivia Coleman, Chris Rock and Steve Martin were the only presenter highlights.  Mostly they ranged from eh to "what the hell is wrong with Maya Rudolph and Kristen Wiig, and why won't they present the award already?!?".

Agree with all of this.  The Best Song choices were terrible and boring.  The song sung by Chrissy Metz... I kept thinking “they passed on Beyoncé for this?”  The Frozen 2 song was boring.  I was confused as to why Eminem sang but I guess it was to make up for the awful song performances they knew were coming from the rest of the show.  

Was “The Lego Movie 2” not eligible this year? I thought it was released in late January or February 19 which I thought would have made it eligible for this year’s awards.  I loved Queen Watevrawanabe’s song “Not Me” and think it would have been a fresh and cool choice.  Would have definitely been a fun performance. 

Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Will Ferrell were the best presenters.  So funny!  I cringed at Maya Rudolph and Kristin Wiig... so incredibly not funny.  And what the hell were they wearing?  It’s like each tried to outdo the other in terms of awfulness.  Maya: “I’m wearing a voluminous sparkly orange trash bag.”  Kristin: “Oh yeah?  I’m wearing a sleek red number with structured side fringe inspired by uncooked lasagna.”

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

It was HORRID. SHE was HORRID. And who the fuck came up with that song as a choice? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE that song. But she ruined it.

Thank you! I was thinking the same thing. And her uber, FUGLY overlong nails were so distracting. I kept thinking: how does she NOT scratch up her face?

Can I sit at your table?

Yes! I was expecting to hear five to six second clips from the better, well known stars, and especially from Kirk. And was Kobe an Academy member? I thought only members were included. Or did he get special dispensation?

1000 times this!

This show definitely needs a host. Like I said many pages back, Eddie Murphy would be a good one. Trevor Noah I think, would also do a good job.

I think Kobe was included because he won an Oscar for his animated short film "Love Basketball".  And yes, about Billie's long, awful black fingernails!

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, Cementhead said:

I love Mindy Kaling but I am so distracted by her chin implant.  It is all that I see when I look at her unfortunately.  It looks painful and uncomfortable to me.  And was not at all needed, she was beautiful without.

For me it's her nose and her lips.  She just went way overboard in general.

• Love 1

Not only was Billie Eilish awful singing Yesterday, but I thought she was much too young to be singing for the In Memoriam tribute.  I actually felt bad for her, singing an awful tribute and having no idea who the people were she was singing about.   Big mistake by the producers having her on the show.

• Love 7

A few things I forgot to add, that later posts reminded me of...

1. I felt like Billie Eilish was not only off-key a few times (and singing in a key that sounded painfully low for her), but at one point about 3/4 through she seemed to actually lose her way and mumble/slide past some lyrics as if she forgot them. Did anyone else catch that? The entire "In Memoriam" was wayyy too much about her for my taste, versus the departed.

2. I agree with those who thought the Maya/Wiig bit felt like it went on forever and ever. It was one joke repeated ten times. If they'd simply done the "angry! whoops, just acting!" bit then moved on, cute joke. But by the time they were singing (and singing and singing) I was doooooone.

3. I was really, really unhappy that the cameras were not prepared to focus on Wes Studi and Geena Davis for their awards, which were a big deal (and normally would have been occasion for a walk up to the stage, dammit). I was really angry about that -- lazy direction and camerawork. Studi is a superb actor, and Geena has been tireless in promoting gender equality in film and beyond.

4. I love Randy Newman, especially his film composition work (and his work for Marriage Story was just lovely this year), but good God, every single song he's ever written or performed for a Toy Story movie sounds exactly the same to me. As a Newman fan, it's ironic to me that after 4 Toy Story movies, the best song from a Toy Story movie for me is still "When She Loved Me."

5. Okay, bear with me... No, I am not a PETA person (swear) but there are some pretty powerful arguments about the cruelty of factory farming (unsurprisingly) and this does include huge dairy farms encompassing 15k-30k or more animals (also known as Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations), where the calf is simply a by-product -- the milk is the point -- so the calf is created, born, taken from the mother and either shot and discarded or set in a tiny pen/enclosure to become either veal or another milker at 12-15 months, perpetuating the cycle). It's a far cry from farms where cows are treated humanely and the calf and mother get time together (my great-grandfather was a small farmer FWIW). Anyway, this article is a pretty decent overview from a UK perspective (it's much worse in the U.S. but the articles are more propagandized).

Sorry y'all, I just thought Joaquin did actually bring up something that drives a lot of activism, and he is a passionate participant -- he shows up and protests just like Jane Fonda does. I'm not a vegan, although I don't eat pork for similar reasons, but I will say that the issue personally caused me to stop drinking dairy milk a few years ago.

(And outcry has caused industry changes like -- for instance, the Ben & Jerry's admission that no, the cows that provide the milk aren't actually "happy cows" but mostly factory farmed in pretty hellish conditions.)

(jumps sheepishly off soapbox...) (or... cowishly?) (runs away)

• Love 21

I know one must consider the source and the fact that it's no secret that, for all his talents and good works notwithstanding, Elton John is a camera-hogging showboat,  All that said,    would it have killed Mr. John have let his collaborator of more than half a century Bernie Taupin (who co-wrote the Oscar winning tune) to actually get to utter 'thank you' or even get a single word in edgewise?! IMO, Mr. Taupin is FAR more tolerant and accepting of Mr. John's hogging than he deserves to say nothing of how I'd have treated it! 

• Love 3
15 hours ago, mtlchick said:

That was less hilarious and more heartfelt. Love that he gave a shout out to Ridley Scott and Geena Davis.

I read somewhere recently that Geena pushed to have him cast as JD in Thelma and Louise.  What a break-out role for Brad Pitt that was -- almost 30 years ago!

15 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Commercial break - I hate the novel Little Fires Everywhere with the heat of a thousand suns so will definitely be skipping that show.

I skipped over commercials so I didn't even see that there was a promo for LFE.  My hate isn't as intense as yours, but it was NOT a good novel.

14 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I don't care for either Maya or Kristin Wiig's dresses..

I don't think we were supposed to.

13 hours ago, TVFan17 said:

I love Elton and he's one of my all-time favorites, but this winning song is not his best song.

First time I've heard it, but it sounded like a pastiche of several of his other songs.  Not impressed.

12 hours ago, yowsah1 said:

Complete shutout for THE IRISHMAN.  Maybe that will teach Scorcese to keep his opinions about superhero movies to himself.

Or maybe voters woke up to the fact that it wasn't that great a movie?  I still can't believe the acclaim for The Irishman.  

4 hours ago, Camille said:

Nothing against Renee Zellwegger, but I was really hoping for a shocking upset in the Best Actress category.

It felt like the one category that might have a surprise winner, but I guess no other nominee generated the same enthusiasm.  

Re In Memoriam: the Oscars version is always an abbreviated mess.  Watch what TCM does instead.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Most of them aren't award worthy.  A few, maybe.

Yeah, I love superhero movies, their becoming blockbuster popular entertainment is a dream come true for my 9-year-old comics loving inner child. But while I think they often feature Oscar-worthy work in production categories, there are only a few individual acting performances, and perhaps Logan as an overall film, that were deserving of nominations.

13 minutes ago, Blergh said:

I know one must consider the source and the fact that it's no secret that, for all his talents and good works notwithstanding, Elton John is a camera-hogging showboat,  All that said,    would it have killed Mr. John have let his collaborator of more than half a century Bernie Taupin (who co-wrote the Oscar winning tune) to actually get to utter 'thank you' or even get a single word in edgewise?! IMO, Mr. Taupin is FAR more tolerant and accepting of Mr. John's hogging than he deserves to say nothing of how I'd have treated it! 

What? Bernie Taupin spoke first, got to say everything he wanted to, and only after he was done did Elton John say anything. I think he was very aware that this was Bernie's first chance at an Academy Award speech whereas he'd had the opportunity before, and thus gave his writing partner first crack at the mic.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 23

I watched the red carpet pre-pre-show on ABC. Mostly on mute and with fast-forwarding though I did pause for the Idina Menzel and Lin Manuel Miranda interviews. 

I feel like all the fashion in this section could best be described as "fancy prom." Yes, there was polish but there wasn't couture. There wasn't DESIGN. It was an elevated version of something you could conceivably get at Lord & Taylor except the amount of pleating on those gowns would price them out of ready-to-wear. But the designs weren't special. 

Of this group, my favorites were probably Mindy Kaling because the golden marigold was just such a flattering color and Beanie Feldstein because that was a great dress for her body type. It felt appropriate for her level of fame and recognition but not so simple. Like, she was still taking her moment to dress up. I feel like someone did Chrissy Metz dirty. I am always prepared to be disappointed when a plus-size actress is invited the awards. Her hair and makeup were flawless. So glamorous. But that dress... she looked like a curtain. It's 2019. Why can't we do better on dressing different body types? 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

She was quoting me. I've seen the movie and I have the same question about the over-the-top adoration.

6 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

It was a very good movie, but didn't deserve Best Picture, imo.  But it wasn't an egregious mistake either.

13 hours ago, superdeluxe said:

Yeah, I haven’t seen it and probably never will.  But like I said earlier in this thread, I read up on it.  I read the synopsis twice and I was like, “People are losing their minds over this?”  Based on that and what happened tonight with the loud reaction, I don’t get it.  The over-the-top adoration is confusing.

I'm not questioning the opinions of people who have seen it. Like someone said above, taste is subjective. We can't all like the same thing, or else the world would be very boring. The ending moved me, and stayed with me for days. I can understand if it doesn't affect other people the same way. Heck, I have a Korean friend who didn't like the ending because

Spoiler

she said she would have liked to see some justice served for the Park family, and even though Mr. Kim would spend the rest of his life in his own personal prison, she preferred to have him be in an actual prison.

I just don't understand the complaining about "not getting the hype" when one hasn't experienced the movie for him/herself to form a more complete opinion. That's like, complaining about a well-reviewed restaurant that's hard to get in and forms lines down the block, not understanding why people are going gaga over the food, yet not having to experience eating the food itself yet. How can you complain about the reactions of other people for something you yourself haven't experienced? 

For me, since there can never be a consensus about the Best Picture winner, my personal test for it is if it ages well. I think as long as it does, it's a good Best Picture winner. IMO, those that didn't age well in recent times were Titanic, American Beauty and OMG, Green Book. If La La Land had held up its win, it would be on my list too - I didn't already like it the first time I saw it. 

Edited by slowpoked
Added spoiler tag
  • Love 12
12 hours ago, paramitch said:

thought Renee's performance looked amazing in the trailers, but I kind of hated it in the actual movie. She just spends every single scene doing 25 things at once -- twitching, shivering, yelling/crying/singing, etc. It's a very showy, over the top performance. I was hoping for Scarlett too

That's what irritated me too.  It's why I don't like when the biopic performance wins.  It's usually a mediocre movie propped up by a GRAND PERFORMANCE!  Rami Malek and Marion Cottilard had similar wins although I enjoyed their performances better.  While there have definitely been exceptions it still shows that playing a tragic figure/dressing down is still the path to Oscar in the Best Actress category.

Still so happy for Team Parasite!  Has any one person ever won FOUR Oscars in one night before Bong did?  The Coens won three in 2007 (they were also nominated for editing under "Roderick Jaynes" but lost).  I wanna say three for one individual is the former record before last night.

• Love 3

Personally, I think Joaquin tried to cover too much in his speech.  I loved his apology and gratitude for second chances.  Then it felt like the cows came out of nowhere.  What he said was effective; hearing how the cows are treated is highly disturbing.  I think he was going for a “be kind to everyone and everything” moment, but didn’t quite get there.  He was so cogent at the BAFTA’s.  I guess he needed Brad’s speechwriter.

Winners have said that they go out of their minds after hearing their names called so I appreciate him not just reading a list of names.

• Love 10

I couldn't finish watching Roma because I got grossed out by all the scenes of dog feces, especially the up close ones with the tire rolling over it. I could almost smell it! What the hell??! I could excuse one scene but there were multiple ones. I think I made it about halfway through the movie but never found it interesting.

• LOL 2
13 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Who the hell directs the Oscars? You let Joaquin and Renee ramble about cows and whatever white people lose sleep over, but you can't let more than 1 Korean person speak during the biggest award of the night? 

Yeah that was bad. Jane Fonda handled it beautifully, I thought. It was clear when the lights went down on the Parasite folks that she was supposed to say, "Well that's it! Congrats to all the nominees and goodnight everybody!" And she was like, umm, I'm not doing that.

• Love 14

On a different note (heh), none of the Best Original Songs stayed in my head, after I heard them.  They all sounded so...generically uplifting, to me, and I just didn't get them.  Even though Marshall Mathers' performance didn't quite make sense, I welcomed it, because at least it was different.  And it was fun to watch some of the cast members from Hamilton rap along, with him.

I'm also tired of biopics winning ALL the acting categories.  I might be in the minority, but I didn't think Tom Hanks played a convincing Fred Rogers, at all.  The entire time, I knew I was watching Tom Hanks.  Great actor, but quite frankly, I'm surprised he was even nominated, for that.

Edited by Billina
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, Scout Finch said:

I couldn't finish watching Roma because I got grossed out by all the scenes of dog feces, especially the up close ones with the tire rolling over it. I could almost smell it! What the hell??! I could excuse one scene but there were multiple ones. I think I made it about halfway through the movie but never found it interesting.

I absolutely loved Roma (although I wasn’t sure where it was going until halfway through) but yes to the above. An unnecessary directing choice at best. I watched on my IPad so the smaller screen probably helped me get through it.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

I liked that he had something he wanted to say and him talking about having this privilege and the platform to say it. I also liked the more personal touches like when he talked about being difficult to work with and how grateful he is to people who have given him second chances and how important redemption is. And then the quote from River - just a rip out my heart moment. I almost started crying right at the beginning when they showed Keanu in the audience and I know he must have been thinking of River. I wonder if he and Joaquin have kept in touch at all after working on Parenthood.

In my world of make believe, I'd sure like to think that too. I just caught Parenthood yesterday morning and even back then Joaquin then Leaf was so damn good. I'm thrilled that Joaquin won last night and loved him talking about River whose death really broke my heart.

I dvr'd the show last night and plan on zipping through it tonight. Was there popularity clapping during the In Memoriam because I just can't with that. TIA.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Scout Finch said:

LOL, sounds like something San Franciscans would just "meh" at... if only the poop we had to maneuver around on the sidewalks every day only belonged to dogs! I think I've seen poop of every shape, color and variety in the last decade of working here. 💩

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Oh I know, but my point was that Erivo shouldn't be playing Aretha.

In your original post you wondered why Cynthia Erivo was playing Aretha when Aretha had wanted Jennifer Hudson to play her. It didn't sound as if you were aware that there was a scheduled project where J-Hud would be doing just that.

Aa someone who has watched the previous seasons of Genius, I'm looking forward to Cynthia Erivo's portrayal of Aretha. The casting people have done a great job in both the Einstein and the Picasso seasons. I have no reason to believe that they haven't gotten it right once again.

2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And was Kobe an Academy member? I thought only members were included. Or did he get special dispensation?

Kobe was an Oscar winner himself, qualifying as worthy of inclusion in the montage.

1 hour ago, Blergh said:

Bernie Taupin was actually the one who accepted the award and gave the acceptance speech. Elton John said a few short words after Bernie finished, basically just thanking his kids and telling them he loved them. I think your vitriol is misplaced here. 🤔

• Love 12
11 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

His name is Bong Joon-ho, not "Boon Joon Ho".

The caption under his picture in my local paper says “Bong Joon-Ho” and the first words in the first paragraph of the article accompanying it are “Bong Joon Ho.”

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, kittykat said:

Has any one person ever won FOUR Oscars in one night before Bong did? 

There was discussion last night at the after-parties shows that technically the Best International Feature Film isn't his Oscar, it's the country's Oscar. 

But if it's the country's Oscar, then who gets to keep it? The government??

• Useful 2
40 minutes ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

The Maya/Kristen bit was cringey after 10 seconds.

Dear Randy Newman - continue to write, but for the love of God, stop singing.  You were a gimmick in the late 70s/early 80s, and your voice is a complete caricature now.

Mad TV's Wil Sasso interpretation of Randy Newman is so spot on, it's uncanny. 

• LOL 2