Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Just now, tennisgurl said:

Wait what is happened?!? Cut down camera people I dont know whats happening!!!

They turned the lights down on the Parasite folks and lit up Jane Fonda and the audience started calling for the lights to come back up (and so, the cameras to go back to) the Parasite people. 

• Love 10

HELL YEAH! Called it. And once Bong pulled off the massive upset in Director,  I knew it was over. Good for them. Made history and well-deserved. 

Last year, despite the support for Roma, I knew Green Book was going to win. But this year, the love for Parasite just seemed to build to insane heights in the last weeks of the season.

I'm telling you, that standing ovation at SAG was hard to ignore. The industry itself seemed to just be crazy for this film. 

• Love 11
1 minute ago, MerBearHou said:

I haven’t seen Parasite.  What is so amazing about it?

There's a lot of layers to it.  I saw it a couple of weeks ago and I'm still thinking about things that happened, and why they might have happened.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
3 minutes ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Seriously, Marriage Story looks as torturous as Joaquin and Renee's speeches.

Every time I come across it on Netflix I consider it for a brief moment and then quickly pass it by for something else.

• Love 7
Just now, MerBearHou said:

I haven’t seen Parasite.  What is so amazing about it?

To tell you would be to spoil you, somewhat. Great acting, twisty plot, a poor family grifting a rich family with sly looks at class and inequality. That's the starting point.

• Love 9

I think this may be one of my favorite Oscars. My favorite movie won! 

And yes, the acting categories were predictable, but aside fromt that, the Oscar love was spread amongst a lot of movies and because of that, it made for a very exciting awards show!

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 11

So they tried to cut away from the people that made the movie that made history and won all of the things, but let Joaquin and Rene ramble on for as long as it takes for continents to separate about cow insemination and coffee and vague notions of gender and whatever other half baked ideas they were going on about?!? Seriously?!

• Love 15
3 minutes ago, ichbin said:

Every time I come across it on Netflix I consider it for a brief moment and then quickly pass it by for something else.

That's more time than I give it. It's really not my kind of thing, same with Manchester by the Sea.

It was fun, see you all at the Tony's.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, yowsah1 said:

Complete shutout for THE IRISHMAN.  Maybe that will teach Scorcese to keep his opinions about superhero movies to himself.

Clearly he had the votes, but his remarks led to Thanos snapping half of his voters out of the universe!

• LOL 15
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, superdeluxe said:

That’s what I want to know.  Like I said, I read up on it and don’t get it.

I saw Parasite and thought it was a very good movie, and the story is different than anything I've ever seen. I think they deserved to win for screenplay for that alone. But I don't think it is as amazing as a lot of others seem to.

4 minutes ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Who the hell directs the Oscars? You let Joaquin and Renee ramble about cows and whatever white people lose sleep over, but you can't let more than 1 Korean person speak during the biggest award of the night? 

I think the director decided to leave at 11, whether the show had ended or not.

• Love 5

Wow.  I really thought this show was going to be a snooze-fest because it looked like the big categories were all locked up, but between Eminem and the Parasite wins, it was pretty awesome!  And only half an hour over the limit!!  See y'all next year!!

• Love 10
Just now, thuganomics85 said:

Clearly he had the votes, but his remarks led to Thanos snapping half of his voters out of the universe!

You know what they say Marty, some thing are...inevitable.

Ok that was my last one, promise!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Joaquin gave his best speech at the BAFTA's.  This one was a mess, but seeing him choke up when mentioning his brother was enough to make me choke up a little, too.I

Now I need to see Parasite.  And Hair Love.

• Love 6

It ran long which is usually does and a few skits were cringe. Still it was a good show. The acting awards were locks as we figured. Still I feel many of the awards were spread across different movies tonight. Parasite roared as the movie that could, As someone said in a previous post we saw history tonight. The love for the movie was great.  We even had a secret cameo from Eminem. I'll never look at cows the same way again lol.  It was a pretty good show.

• Love 8

Well that was the good, the bad, and the weird...so basically it was the Oscars! Some surprises, some obvious wins, some good performances, also whatever was going on in the memorial portion, but it was a good time with you all. We even saw actual honest to god movie history being made, even when the camera tried to cut away! Thank you and goodnight! 

Off to watch Hair Love!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 6

Wow! I was hoping for a surprise and that is definitely one I can live with! I would have been happy with 1917 as it just edged out Parasite as my favorite, but the history that was made makes Parasite's win so exciting.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

I saw Parasite and thought it was a very good movie, and the story is different than anything I've ever seen. I think they deserved to win for screenplay for that alone. But I don't think it is as amazing as a lot of others seem to.

That's how I feel. I enjoyed it, thought it was good - but I just didn't see what the big deal was.

• Love 3

Actually didn't think it was too bad either: it really only got annoying at the end when Joaquin and Renee decided to see who could have the longest speech ever, but there a lot of wins I enjoyed, and I liked that almost every film got some love (sorry, Marty!) 

And even though its final wins destroyed my Oscar pool, I'm glad for Parasite and I really hope this means it will finally come to my theater!

I still think they're actually doing fine with no host.  Probably could still cut back on some of the montages, but it wasn't too bad here (now the commercials was a whole other thing.)

Good night, folks!  I wish I could go drinking with Bong, but my invitation was lost in the mail!

• Love 10

Ireally loved Once Upon a Time but learnedlong ago that movies I love rarely win so I I am not surprised it lost Best Picture but if it had to lost, at least it lost to something completely out of the norm....Now, I just might have to see it...and Marriage Story still looks like yelling for two hours.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

That's how I feel. I enjoyed it, thought it was good - but I just didn't see what the big deal was.

I don't begrudge anyone who's seen Parasite and goes away thinking "that was a pretty good arthouse film" but nothing more than that.

But after awarding The Green Book last year, I'm just glad they steered away from the more eyeroll inducing options.

• Love 8

1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

So they tried to cut away from the people that made the movie that made history and won all of the things, but let Joaquin and Rene ramble on for as long as it takes for continents to separate about cow insemination and coffee and vague notions of gender and whatever other half baked ideas they were going on about?!? Seriously?!

Is that really a surprise? Joaquin and Renee are big-time movie stars and the cast of Parasite aren't. Of course they were going to let them ramble - and Renee eventually got cut off.

Edited by FilmTVGeek80
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

Joaquin gave his best speech at the BAFTA's.  This one was a mess, but seeing him choke up when mentioning his brother was enough to make me choke up a little, too.

I agree. I think he initially started off trying to replicate how good that speech was, but he veered way off track. 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

1 minute ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

Everybody is acting like this movie is life-changing.  Come on.  It’s got to be just hype.  In the various clips I’ve seen, there’s a toilet.  I’m not watching anything with a toilet just right there.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Great show tonight and Best Picture was exciting! The biggest surprise for me was Best Director but all the love for Parasite should have given me more confidence. I don’t think I won my pool but Parasite wining was a win for the audience as well so I’ll take it. 

• Love 3
Just now, scarynikki12 said:

Great show tonight and Best Picture was exciting! The biggest surprise for me was Best Director but all the love for Parasite should have given me more confidence. I don’t think I won my pool but Parasite wining was a win for the audience as well so I’ll take it. 

One of the reasons it was nice they won. We got some surprises for the night. 

• Love 1