Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

They're definitely gonna go long and I can't blame it on the  producers. It's the darn commercials!

Well, that and the stupid recap in the middle of the show.

Ohhh we still have the recently passed too

edited bc i cannot spell

Edited by Toodleoo
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

I don't think it's any different from animated films also nominated for Best Picture - Beauty & the Beast, Up, Toy Story 3, etc.

To be fair to Beauty and the Beast, the animated feature category wasn't around when it got its nomination.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
Just now, TVFan17 said:

Okay, I love this American Idol commercial with "Tiny Dancer"!  That song will never get old for me.

I can't hear it any way other than the way Phoebe sang it on Friends, "Hold me close, young Tony Danza...." 

• LOL 11
  • Love 3
Just now, Growsonwalls said:

That might be cultural though. I have read that Asian directors in general expect/demand more respect from the cast and crew, and directors like Ang Lee have said that it was a big culture shock to direct in Hollywood where movies are an assembly of moving parts. Akira Kurosawa was infamous for terrorizing his sets.

True.

His actors have said, and he admitted himself, that he tends to stick to his storyboards and script very strictly and doesn't give a lot of room for spontaneity and/or free wheeling.

But that said though, there's a genuine love and friendship between himself and his cast ever since this all started for them at Cannes. I would venture that's not just from respect but affection.

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

Parasite was a great movie, but it seems unfair for it to be in both best international film and best picture. I thought the same thing last year with Roma. But I guess people submit whatever they qualify for. It was certainly a well deserved win.

Yeah, but one of the reasons that International Film, Animated Film, and Documentary Feature exist as categories in the first place is because voters so seldom nominate non-English, animated, or documentary movies as Best Picture - which is itself deeply unfair. 

• Love 12
4 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

I don't think it's any different from animated films also nominated for Best Picture - Beauty & the Beast, Up, Toy Story 3, etc.

I don't remember that happening, but it seems unfair too. But I agree it is not any different.

1 minute ago, Valny said:

I'm sorry but there is no way a song like Glasgow from Wild Rose would NOT beat any one of these nominated songs! That song and performance was amazing.  Just sorry everyone didn't get to see the awesome Jessie Buckley perform it at the Oscars. It should have been nominated!  Grrr....

Jessie Buckley should have been nominated for best actress....

3 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Ok why don’t they all lead the next Expendables sequel?!? 

Because that Ocean's 8 movie bombed and studios aren't going to risk an all female version of an old movie franchise for a long while, unfortunately. 

Edited by bmoore4026
1 minute ago, thuganomics85 said:

What?  According to the internet, Brie Larson isn't able to deliver a speech without ranting about evil men are.  What is happening?!

I guess you didn't pick up on what she was saying subliminally.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

True.

His actors have said, and he admitted himself, that he tends to stick to his storyboards and script very strictly and doesn't give a lot of room for spontaneity and/or free wheeling.

But that said though, there's a genuine love and friendship between himself and his cast ever since this all started for them at Cannes. I would venture that's not just from respect but affection.

It also varies from director to director even in Hollywood how much leeway you're allowed to have. Someone once said that they wanted to work with Woody Allen because they loved the wit and spontaneity of his films. They were shocked to find out that Woody Allen expected you to stick exactly to the script. The "spontaneity" of those films was all done in the editing room.