Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

7 minutes ago, Toodleoo said:

Agree, I just can’t imagine how frustrating it was for his colleague 😞

The most famous instance of this was probably when "Falling Slowly" won best song in 2008 and Glen Hansard talked through the entire speech.  After the commercial break Jon Stewart brought out Marketa Irglova so she could give her thank yous 

Edited by kittykat
  • Love 18

I'm happy for Parasite winning Best International but now I'm afraid it won't win Best Picture.  That's ok though, they done great tonight.

And he's ready to drink!  I love it!

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 11

Parasite was a great movie, but it seems unfair for it to be in both best international film and best picture. I thought the same thing last year with Roma. But I guess people submit whatever they qualify for. It was certainly a well deserved win.

1 minute ago, Ohwell said:

I'm happy for Parasite winning Best International but now I'm afraid it won't win Best Picture. 

I dunno, ROMA fell just short of Best Picture last year, maybe this year PARASITE will make it across the line.  🙂

Just now, tennisgurl said:

My parents got to see Elton in his recent tour a few months ago and they haven’t stopped talking about it! 

I saw him in Vegas a few years ago and he was great! But honestly I have no idea what the hell is going on right now.

• Love 4
Just now, slowpoked said:

He really is. He's not difficult to work with, even with the reputation that he's a hard core control freak.

That might be cultural though. I have read that Asian directors in general expect/demand more respect from the cast and crew, and directors like Ang Lee have said that it was a big culture shock to direct in Hollywood where movies are an assembly of moving parts. Akira Kurosawa was infamous for terrorizing his sets.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

Parasite was a great movie, but it seems unfair for it to be in both best international film and best picture. I thought the same thing last year with Roma. But I guess people submit whatever they qualify for. It was certainly a well deserved win.

I don't think it's any different from animated films also nominated for Best Picture - Beauty & the Beast, Up, Toy Story 3, etc.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, kittykat said:

Folks we're going into overtime.

As usual.  I don't know why they don't just schedule an extra 30 minutes.  Oh, wait, I do know -- if they scheduled 30 extra minutes, they'd still run 30 minutes long!

• Love 5