Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, wallflower75 said:

I figure Kirk Douglas won't be included given how recently he died.

Heck, I think he may get the final slot!  It seems this gets locked in the week before but they will not leave out Spartacus!

• Love 5
1 minute ago, vb68 said:

Yep. They did.

No worries on that.

I would think that if they can tear apart the Grammys hours before the show to do tribute to Whitney Houston, SOMEONE could do an edit to include  Kirk Douglas.

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Love 1
Just now, Growsonwalls said:

Cynthia Erivo is an amazing singer but she's quite obnoxious on social media and I wish I liked her more.

This.  I really want to like her, but it's just so...difficult.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, ebk57 said:

I believe they announced that he will be included.

It's amazing that AMPAS will make an exception for certain people by finding a way to include them in the memoriam at the last minute but the rest of the time they'll be like "*shrug* They didn't die in time."  I get why they would make the effort for Kirk Douglas, but it just highlights how disrespectful it is when they don't make that effort for the people they consider to be of "lesser" importance.

• Love 13

Great performance.  Cynthia Erivo is extremely talented, to put it mildly.  But since Harriet didn't get any other nominations besides her for Song and Actress, I'm guessing the film was one of those cases of an "decent to okay elevated by its lead actress."

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, wallflower75 said:

I figure Kirk Douglas won't be included given how recently he died.

I’m guessing they’ve had Kirk Douglas’s in Memorium segment on standby for a few years now. He was 103!!!

• Love 9

I'm watching this commercial for a show about Aretha Franklin and Cynthia Erivo is playing her.  I thought Aretha wanted Jennifer Hudson to play her.

And why is a British woman playing two iconic American women, in particular Harriet Tubman?  I can't believe they couldn't find black American actresses for those roles.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 7
Just now, Steph J said:

It's amazing that AMPAS will make an exception for certain people by finding a way to include them in the memoriam at the last minute but the rest of the time they'll be like "*shrug* They didn't die in time."  I get why they would make the effort for Kirk Douglas, but it just highlights how disrespectful it is when they don't make that effort for the people they consider to be of "lesser" importance.

Perhaps, but he was an legend in his time, there are still a lot of old-school folks on the Academy and Michael still carries considerable weight in the industry.  Put it all together and it makes for a no-brainer.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

I'm sure he will be, but I don't know about Orsen Bean or Robert Conrad. 

A lot depends on if they were members of the Academy or not.  Non-members generally don't get into the reel.

• Useful 1