Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, FoundTime said:

Very unusual for two different films to win sound editing and sound mixing, since most Academy members don't understand the difference and usually vote for the same film in both categories.

There may have been unspoken consensus to vote FvsF so it won something. 

1 minute ago, tennisgurl said:

I always like seeing the middle of the show awards. They might not be as glamorous as the acting/directing categories, but these are the people that makes movies happen. Sound editing is the kind of thing you might not notice...until you see a movie doing it poorly and you realize how important it is. 

It’s frustrating that some denigrate awards shows as big pat-on-the-back-fests of the rich and famous, when it’s the talents of the behind the scenes people who really enrich everything about a film and they absolutely deserve to be awarded on a national stage.

As do the rich and famous when they create exceptional art, too. 

• Love 19

So quick tally: Once leads with 2 wins while Jojo Rabbit, Parasite, Marriage Story, Little Women, FvF, 1917 have one.  

Joker and Irishman still have nothing but expecting Joker to take Actor and Score.

Edited by kittykat
1 minute ago, Ohwell said:

I wish Randy could have sung Short People.

And 'Sail Away'. 

Just now, yowsah1 said:

I'll also remember when Randy Newman finally won Best Song after being nominated 15 times, his first words were, "I don't want your pity".  😉

I remember that.  It brought the house down.

• Love 13
17 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Whitney Houston 😞 Every time I hear "I Will Always Love You" I get so sad. What a beautiful voice.

I know I'm in the minority, but I've always preferred Dolly Parton's version, which isn't so polished.  It just seems so heartfelt and sincere, especially if you know the story about how she wrote it about leaving the Porter Wagner show against his wishes.

• Love 19
3 minutes ago, quickjessie said:

I am THRILLED they got Em to perform.  Loved that song then and now.  On my favorites Spotify list.  And by the way, I'm 70 and white, lol.  I've considered that kid the Shakespeare of his day and I still do.  

I’m 66, and was rocking out here in my chair! I’m not a big rap fan, but that was so entertaining and energizing!

• Love 16

Why...do we need a recap...of the show we’re watching...?

Oh fucking hell and it’s followed by Will Ferrell who keeps getting trotted out for awards shows and it’s BAFFLING.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 3

And let me say that asking why we were hearing a song from 2002 at the 2020 Oscars is not complaining.  I like the song.  But it was randomly presented at a show when I would not have expected to hear a song from 2002.  I think it was within reason to question it for a split second.  lol

I had forgotten that Eminem didn't perform it back then.  It was 17 or 18 years ago, after all.

I love Toy Story, but I don't like that specific Randy Newman song.

Edited by TVFan17