Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I liked Florence Pugh but I thought "this movie is about AMY" is the weakest part of Gerwig's Little Women. I thought the Jo/Teddy story was really underdeveloped because so much was spent on Amy. 

Laura Dern is really beautiful and lovely and all but it's really jarring to see all her hair extensions. She has such a lovely natural style IRL. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, tennisgurl said:

Oh god really? I love Laura Dern but she spent that whole movie playing a one dimensional version of her character from Big Little Lies. 

Thank you! I just don’t get it! She’s so talented and I like her a lot but for this role I just don’t think it’s Oscar award worthy 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Love 9
1 minute ago, Misslindsey said:

Laura Dern was a given, but I really loved Florence Pugh as Amy in Little Women. I have the unpopular opinion that Amy was always my favorite in the book.

Amy's the only one who doesn't compromise in what she wants unlike the downtrodden Meg and Jo. My UO: This is not an uplifting book. 

I liked Laura Dern's speech. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Mystery said:

Amy's the only one who doesn't compromise in what she wants unlike the downtrodden Meg and Jo. My UO: This is not an uplifting book. 

I liked Laura Dern's speech. 

I've always liked Amy as well. This version was the best for her. I'm glad Greta gave time to Laurie and Amy. Still Florence playing 13 yr old Amy was always silly lol.

• Love 2

Even though I admittedly haven't seen Marriage Story yet, I'm still happy for Laura since a) as someone who will always love the first Jurassic Park, I just love that Ellie is now an Oscar winner and b) to counter all the shit she got for daring to play Holdo in The Last Jedi.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 11
Just now, yowsah1 said:

Laura Dern is a second generation Oscar winner...  trying to think of other ones - Jane Fonda...?

Does Sofia Coppola count? Actually her grandfather is also an Oscar winner. The Huston's have three generations as well.

• Love 2
Just now, ebk57 said:

I'm impressed that Colin Jost made it out there after working so late last night... 

I've been peeking at him whenever the camera pans to her!  Yes, that was a long night and long flight, but lots of adrenaline around him now!  

• Love 2
1 minute ago, ebk57 said:

I'm impressed that Colin Jost made it out there after working so late last night... 

I suspect he was on his way to the airport as soon as "Weekend Update" wrapped.

1 minute ago, ebk57 said:

Flying the first flight out of New York this morning would still have given him a lot of time. And for a man, there's not much preparation to do.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, slowpoked said:

Flying the first flight out of New York this morning would still have given him a lot of time. And for a man, there's not much preparation to do.

Plus he has no show this week, so he has plenty of time to catch up on sleep.

1 minute ago, kib said:

I suspect he was on his way to the airport as soon as "Weekend Update" wrapped.

Well, first thing Sunday morning.  Unless he had a charter flight.  East to West means starting as early as possible, and getting there late West Coast time.  Done it too many times.  

Laura has been a foregone winner since the start of the awards season, but I'm still sad about this category as IMO, this was the one that had a lot of potential for diversity and creative choices - JLo, any of the Parasite women, the grandmother from The Farewell, etc.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, thuganomics85 said:

Lin-Manuel Miranda!  Someone needs to hurry up and give him another shot at that EGOT, dammit!

In the Heights and the Little Mermaid reboot...it will happen sooner than later. 

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, yowsah1 said:

Laura Dern is a second generation Oscar winner...  trying to think of other ones - Jane Fonda...?

Francis Ford Coppola and Sofia Coppola.

Not sure if this one counts, since they're related by marriage rather than blood, but George Clooney and Jose Ferrer.

Edited by Steph J