Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, Calvada said:

I assume their stylists are on hand with the 2nd outfit, but where do they all go?  Is there a line for the ladies room at the venue?  

I don't know but Melissa McCarthy showing up to one of the after parties in an Adidas track suit and Nikes is probably the smartest move anyone could do.  

Complete aside, I am not feeling the capes this year, but I think Selma Blair looked fabulous at the Vanity Fair party and rocking her cane to boot.  

• Love 5

If time is the reason they need to leave a handful of people out of the "In Memoriam" segment, then they need to simply allot more time for it. 

The length of the show has improved by them cutting out a lot of the ridiculous bits that they used to do--remember the fashion show for the Best Costume award?--but they should NEVER skimp on commemorating beloved colleagues who have passed away.

At the very least, perhaps it's the "behind the scenes" people who should be pared down, rather than actors.

Edited by Camille
  • Love 2

galaxygirl76: REQUIEM FOR A DREAM was Jennifer Connelly.

Camille: The quality of a movie starts with the *writer*. Yet no one ever complains when the Best Picture and Best Screenplay awards don't go to the same movie.

Edited by wendyg
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Camille said:

If time is the reason they need to leave a handful of people out of the "In Memoriam" segment, then they need to simply allot more time for it. 

The length of the show has improved by them cutting out a lot of the ridiculous bits that they used to do--remember the fashion show for the Best Costume award?--but they should NEVER skimp on commemorating beloved colleagues who have passed away.

At the very least, perhaps it's the "behind the scenes" people who should be pared down, rather than actors.

I agree that they need to include more people in the "In Memoriam" segment, but I think they should include MORE of the "behind the scenes" people. They're the reason we can watch the movies, and they don't get enough credit while they're alive, either.

I was particularly irked that they didn't even list the winners of the technical awards. Why bother talking about the ceremony if they're not going to say anything about the winners?

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, wendyg said:

alaxygirl76: REQUIEM FOR A DREAM was Jennifer Connelly.

Ellen was nominated for Best Actress for Requiem for a Dream and lost to Julia Roberts in Erin Brockavich which is what I imagine the poster was referring to.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Camille said:

but it seems odd that a movie would become the best picture of the year without the best director helming it.

Or without the lead actor winning best actor. I mean, what makes a movie if not the acting? That’s not taking anything away from the director, cinematographer, costume, makeup, editor or anyone  else. But if a movie isn’t welll acted, that’s the only thing most people take away. And if the film wins best picture, then how does the lead actor not win his category? It’s just something I’ve never quite understood.

19 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

Or without the lead actor winning best actor. I mean, what makes a movie if not the acting? That’s not taking anything away from the director, cinematographer, costume, makeup, editor or anyone  else. But if a movie isn’t welll acted, that’s the only thing most people take away. And if the film wins best picture, then how does the lead actor not win his category? It’s just something I’ve never quite understood.

There's a lot more to a movie than the acting. I would argue that a poorly written movie shouldn't be the "best" of the year, even if the acting is great. And if it's poorly edited, it might not make much sense to the viewer. Poor cinematography might make it difficult to see what's going on, etc.

And the best performance of the year might not have been in the best movie (and often isn't). Or the movie might not have had a "lead" actor at all (like THE FAVOURITE, or ROMA, which only had female leads).

• Love 2
2 hours ago, wendyg said:

galaxygirl76: REQUIEM FOR A DREAM was Jennifer Connelly.

Camille: The quality of a movie starts with the *writer*. Yet no one ever complains when the Best Picture and Best Screenplay awards don't go to the same movie.

Jennifer Connelly won best supporting actress for A Beautiful Mind. While she was in Requiem for a Dream, it was Ellen Burnstyn who was nominated for best actress against Julia Roberts and in my opinion should have won.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Camille said:

I appreciate the Academy trying to spread the goods around, but it seems odd that a movie would become the best picture of the year without the best director helming it.

I’ll never forget when Billy Crystal sang about ‘the movie that directed itself.’ Too bad I can’t remember which movie he was referencing. 

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, topanga said:

I’ll never forget when Billy Crystal sang about ‘the movie that directed itself.’ Too bad I can’t remember which movie he was referencing. 

Whoopi Goldberg made a similar joke as host, about Moulin Rouge, which got something like 6 or 7 nominations and Baz Luhrmann didn't get nominated for Best Director. 

And I don't think any of those beats The Color Purple's 12 nominations and Spielberg not getting a Best Director nomination for it. 

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, topanga said:

39 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Driving Miss Daisy.

I thought it was Prince of Tides.  Wasn't there a controversy about Barbara Streisand not getting an nomination?  I seem to remember him saying this, then the camera showing Barbara blowing him a kiss and saying "thank you". 

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 2
53 minutes ago, biakbiak said:
53 minutes ago, biakbiak said:
1 hour ago, topanga said:

Driving Miss Daisy.

No, it was "The Prince Of Tides".

"Seven nominations on the shelf. Did this film direct itself?!"

Edited by Camille
  • Love 6
14 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

There are tons of examples of best pictures where the director didn’t win.  For Argo, Ben Affleck didn’t even get nominated.

26, according to the Wikipedia page. Two sevenths of the time. It just seems to have been happening a lot lately.

IIRC, Billy Crystal also made a crack about the director of As Good as it Gets not getting nominated. Something along the lines of mentioning Gloria Stuart, who was nominated for Titanic, starring in The Invisible Man back in the 1930's and following that up with 'The Invisible Man still gets work, he directed AGAIG.'

8 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

I think it is more of a revival from the fashion show scene from Adrian's design in the 1939 movie called The Women. I think the fashion designers are trying to bring that style back with the capes and all.

Not familiar with ^this.  I'll have to look it up!

15 hours ago, Simon Boccanegra said:

But now I'll be really outrageous: I think Driving Miss Daisy gets a bum rap.

Thanks for this reminder.

As for Green Book, I didn't think it was one of the best movies of 2018. (Nor did I think BlackkKlansman was!) But here's the thing. The Academy has repeatedly awarded its highest honor to middlebrow feel-good movies. Or impressive spectacles that were kind of dumb. Or movies in which a character has a disability, even if the movie was not that great. It's actually amazing when a movie like Moonlight wins! But more years than not (based on history), the Academy will continue to salute work that was not really the best or brightest of its year. I can't muster up any outrage about it.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Simon Boccanegra said:

They're easy and inevitable. Would-be-heartwarming "black/white improbable friendship" movies, set in the 1960s (wholly in GB's case, in large part in DMD's), in which one character is well off and the other is the chauffeur.  

But now I'll be really outrageous: I think Driving Miss Daisy gets a bum rap. I see a lot of revisionism these days from writers who either were children or not even born when it was in theaters. I read one the other day claiming it was a surprise Best Picture winner despite receiving "mediocre reviews." Nonsense. It was one of the best-received films of that year, and it was expected to win Best Picture. It had done the same at the Globes.   [snip]

Anyone who's never seen the movie and only knows it as the unworthy 1990 Oscar winner should give it a look. It's a stronger film than Crash or, in my opinion, Green Book. Jessica Tandy and Morgan Freeman are wonderful in it (Freeman's present-day controversial status notwithstanding).  

I agree about Driving Miss Daisy.  I remember when I watched it in the theatre that the pre-elderly relationship between the two characters was so powerful and reflected my own father's experience as a grown man who was treated as a "boy" every day of his job (and we lived in New England).   I think there is a group think happening over time -- enough people label a movie as a White Savior movie, and it becomes de facto true, even if it's not.  The thing about Green Book for me, though is:  if you tell me you are making a movie called Green Book, and it's referring to the actual Green Book, which is a thing in African American history, I would expect it to be about African Americans making their way around the South in those days and coping with the racism inherent to that time and place.  Not a white guy showing a black guy how to make his way around in the South during Jim Crow.  Maybe if it had a different title: "How I Helped That Black Guy That Time."  Maybe that wouldn't have felt so white-window-ish.  It's probably irrational, but there it is.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Jennifer Connelly won best supporting actress for A Beautiful Mind. While she was in Requiem for a Dream, it was Ellen Burnstyn who was nominated for best actress against Julia Roberts and in my opinion should have won.

With all due respect, a small correction here, regarding the bolded. Ellen’s last name is Burstyn, not Burnstyn.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, topanga said:

3 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I thought it was Prince of Tides.  Wasn't there a controversy about Barbara Streisand not getting an nomination?  I seem to remember him saying this, then the camera showing Barbara blowing him a kiss and saying "thank you". 

You're right about it being Barbra Streisand, but the film in question (with BillyCrystal)was Yentl, which was the first film she had ever directed.

Then, of course, Barbra received the same treatment from the Academy for her direction of The Prince of Tides. 🙄

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

You're right about it being Barbra Streisand, but the film in question (with BillyCrystal)was Yentl, which was the first film she had ever directed.

Then, of course, Barbra received the same treatment from the Academy for her direction of The Prince of Tides. 🙄

Shockingly Billy Crystal likes to reuse material because he also said the direct itself line about Driving Miss Daisy. He did however not sing it.

• Love 2

I kinda recall an actor/actress winning the Oscar and saying something along the lines that he/she apparently didn’t have to thank the director because the movie must have made itself.  Everyone laughed and the camera turned to the director, who laughed as well.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Thumper said:

What's with the capes?  I hate them.  They flop around and look so pretentious.  IMO.  Like anyone asked me.   😜😜

The capes, yes, and also the gigantic bows that sit on one shoulder, bigger than the head of the person wearing the dress  And the yards of fabric wrapped around a person and then trailing after them - ugh.  I think when you exceed the amount of fabric in the train of a British royal wedding dress, it's time to re-think.  

• Love 3
6 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Jennifer Connelly won best supporting actress for A Beautiful Mind. While she was in Requiem for a Dream, it was Ellen Burnstyn who was nominated for best actress against Julia Roberts and in my opinion should have won.

Although to be fair, Jennifer Connelly in Requiem for a Dream acted circles around Julia, too.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Crs97 said:

There are tons of examples of best pictures where the director didn’t win.  For Argo, Ben Affleck didn’t even get nominated.

With the Best Picture category able to go up to ten films and Best Director still set at five, this is going to happen more and more often.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, yowsah1 said:

With the Best Picture category able to go up to ten films and Best Director still set at five, this is going to happen more and more often.

That's probably EXACTLY why it's been happening so often recently, even though the director's respective picture has also been nominated.

Edited by Camille
8 hours ago, ProudMary said:

The first of Billy Crystal's many hosting engagements was in 1990. Yentl, a 1983 film, would have been a bit before his time, and while it was nominated for some Academy Awards, Best Picture wasn't one.  

I do remember the "DID THIS FILM DI-RECT ITSELF!?" song lyric being about The Prince of Tides for the 1992 show, as @Shannon L. noted, and I found the clip.  The relevant portion of Crystal's monologue/song (including Babs's reaction shot) begins at 7:17 below.  

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Simon Boccanegra said:

The first of Billy Crystal's many hosting engagements was in 1990. Yentl, a 1983 film, would have been a bit before his time, and while it was nominated for some Academy Awards, Best Picture wasn't one.  

I do remember the "DID THIS FILM DI-RECT ITSELF!?" song lyric being about The Prince of Tides for the 1992 show, as @Shannon L. noted, and I found the clip.  The relevant portion of Crystal's monologue/song (including Babs's reaction shot) begins at 7:17 below.  

While his musical number left a little to be desired, his easy, witty hosting style was perfect for the show.  I miss the days when the broadcast was actually entertaining, and the politics was kept to a still-unnecessary minimum.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

While his musical number left a little to be desired, his easy, witty hosting style was perfect for the show.  I miss the days when the broadcast was actually entertaining, and the politics was kept to a still-unnecessary minimum.

I love Billy Crystal as host. But I also loved Whoopi. I must have missed her first hosting gig--I just remember her second one. Where her opening line was something along the lines of "did you miss me?" And she had me 🤣 when she riffed about the many ribbons for the many, many causes. She was sharp. She was funny. I MISS that Whoopi.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I miss the days when the broadcast was actually entertaining

That seems to be the crux of it -- should the Oscars be a musical variety show or should the entertainment be primarily derived from the awards and winners themselves?

The decision-makers at AMPAS seem to favor the former, but since every (deliberate) change they tried to make in that direction was widely reviled, it seems like many of the dwindling number of viewers, along with rank and file Academy members, don't care that much about comedians, dancers, songs, and miscellaneous schtick.

Would ratings really go up if a popular, non-controversial host like Crystal took over again next year? Be interesting to see.

If you ask me, the Academy should stop beating its head against the wall and recognize, the same way other series and specials have, that TV is on the decline and there will simply be fewer and fewer viewers as time goes by.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Simon Boccanegra said:

Thanks!  I guess the reaction I remember from her must have been for something else, though.

palmaire: Not just that, but that people will skip the broadcast and just watch the clips they're interested in on YouTube. Why spend three hours if you only want to see three minutes?

Re Whoopi Goldberg: I thought she was great the year she ad libbed a mini-tribute to Gene Siskel, whom the Academy had refused to include in In Memoriam, claiming he wasn't part of the industry. Goldberg, which Goldberg explicitly disputed in mentioning him.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And she had me 🤣 when she riffed about the many ribbons for the many, many causes

That was terrific, because at the time, the ribbon thing was out of control.

6 minutes ago, wendyg said:

Not just that, but that people will skip the broadcast and just watch the clips they're interested in on YouTube. Why spend three hours if you only want to see three minutes?

Exactly. Overall, I only care about the in Memoriam segment, the acting awards and for director and picture. Six awards, 4 of which are saved until the end. I'm not particularly interested in the other things unless a film I really enjoyed is nominated.

6 minutes ago, wendyg said:

Re Whoopi Goldberg: I thought she was great the year she ad libbed a mini-tribute to Gene Siskel, whom the Academy had refused to include in In Memoriam, claiming he wasn't part of the industry. Goldberg, which Goldberg explicitly disputed in mentioning him

I completely agree. That's why it ticked me off that they didn't include Joan Rivers the year she died. Maybe she was never in a movie, but she worked that red carpet for YEARS. 

Edited by Camille
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, Sake614 said:

I think there are probably plenty of examples where a movie wins Best Picture but none of the actors are even nominated.  I know that "The Last Emperor" is one, and I want to say "Slumdog Millionaire" and "Braveheart" are two others.  I'm sure there are more.

19 hours ago, topanga said:

I feel like he made that same joke every year he hosted, but as others have pointed out, the most memorable one was referencing Barbra Streisand.  There was a lot of flak that year about how female directors can't get nominated for Best Director.

13 hours ago, Calvada said:

The capes, yes, and also the gigantic bows that sit on one shoulder, bigger than the head of the person wearing the dress  And the yards of fabric wrapped around a person and then trailing after them - ugh.  I think when you exceed the amount of fabric in the train of a British royal wedding dress, it's time to re-think.  

I generally don't mind the capes.  I think they are very elegant when done right.  Glenn Close, yes.  Maya Rudolph, no, just no.  Agree that the huge honking bows, usually in the back but sometimes in the front or the shoulder, are just not a good look.

13 hours ago, wallflower75 said:

Although to be fair, Jennifer Connelly in Requiem for a Dream acted circles around Julia, too.

I think pretty much everyone can act circles around Julia Roberts.  To me she's like a Gwyneth Paltrow.  They both had one showy, Oscar bait role, won the Oscar, and really haven't done much award worthy work since.  Obviously, opinions differ, but I cannot stand either of these women.

1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I love Billy Crystal as host. But I also loved Whoopi. I must have missed her first hosting gig--I just remember her second one. Where her opening line was something along the lines of "did you miss me?" And she had me 🤣 when she riffed about the many ribbons for the many, many causes. She was sharp. She was funny. I MISS that Whoopi.

Whoopi is my favourite host.  She can come back anytime.  Of all the hosts, she made me laugh more than anyone.  (The only other host that had me cracking up with laughter was Seth MacFarlane during his "We Saw Your Boobs" segment.)  Whoopi's "Didja miss me" was so deadpanned and awesome.  Because the previous year was the year of the David Letterman debacle, when he introduced Oprah to Uma and he was the only one that found anything hilarious about their supposedly similarly unusual first names.

Edited by blackwing
  • Love 1
59 minutes ago, Camille said:

That was terrific, because at the time, the ribbon thing was out of control.

Exactly. Overall, I only care about the in Memoriam segment, the acting awards and for director and picture. Six awards, 4 of which are saved until the end. I'm not particularly interested in the other things unless a film I really enjoyed is nominated.

I completely agree. That's why it ticked me off that they didn't include Joan Rivers the year she died. Maybe she was never in a movie, but she worked that red carpet for YEARS. 

She wrote, directed, & did at least a cameo in, a movie called Rabbit Test which, coincidentally, starred Billy Crystal as the world’s first pregnant man.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add italics and remove extraneous letters.
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Fabulous movie!

It really is. The cast was amazing: Joan Crawford, Norma Shearer, Marjorie Main, Paulette Goddard, Rosalyn Russel and Joan Fontaine just to name a few. It did not get a single nomination due to being released in that magical year, 1939.  Whatever you do don't see the gawdawful 2008 remake. 

On 2/26/2019 at 10:37 PM, yowsah1 said:

I saw an interview where Rami said he trained with a vocalist who had studied how the vocalizations Freddie did were physically produced, so that he would look more like Freddie when he sang.  So that might be the source of the "sang like Freddie" thing.

The makers of the film have made a big deal about the singing in the movie being partially Freddie's vocals, and partially Rami's.

Various Rami fans have run with it - as in, "Rami's voice is so great that they were able to just blend it in with Freddie's! Isn't his singing amazing?"

And until we actually hear what Rami's singing voice sounds like - on its own - I'm going to assume that the amount of his vocals that actually made it into the movie are negligible, and he shouldn't get credit for having "amazing" vocals.

To be fair to Rami, I've never heard him try to take credit for the singing in the movie. 

• Love 4
(edited)
49 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

Various Rami fans have run with it - as in, "Rami's voice is so great that they were able to just blend it in with Freddie's! Isn't his singing amazing?"

Really? I don't remember seeing any comments like that because most places I read online, the consensus seemed to be that it was clearly Freddie's vocals and there were those making cracks about Rami winning awards for lip syncing for two hours.

I saw a lot of lip syncing shady comments throughout this award season and never saw anyone thinking Rami could sing like Freddie. Like why would anyone be that delusional when Rami himself in interviews said when he first met the producers he told them he couldn't sing or play any instruments. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 4
On 2/27/2019 at 5:16 AM, Robert Lynch said:

I think it is more of a revival from the fashion show scene from Adrian's design in the 1939 movie called The Women. I think the fashion designers are trying to bring that style back with the capes and all.

Yes, I think this red & white number from that fashion show scene in The Women would work today with some minor modifications. It would take someone with the right amount of old school flair to pull it off though or else it might look kind of ccostume-y. I'm thinking Dame Helen Mirren or Tilda Swinton.

thewomen3.jpg.40377f0b3a44dfbbe0008b554ee85fa1.jpg

• Love 2
(edited)

First, let me preface this by saying that I did love the Lady GaGa and Cooper performance this year.  On Kimmel, she described how Cooper totally produced, directed the whole thing. I'm impressed. 

So, while I have no issue with Lady GaGa taking her Oscar for the song Shallow I do have a question about her comment on working hard in her acceptance speech.  I realize that she trained in music, has written many songs, performed, acted, etc., but, I'm just trying to figure out what she's describing as so hard.  She stressed her point AGAIN on Kimmel the other night, saying this was HARD!  She took out her Oscar for Jimmy.  That was fine, but, once again she talked about how it was HARD WORK.  I'm not being sarcastic, but, just trying to figure out what she means by that. I mean, I'm an attorney and law school and practicing law is hard work, but, not as hard as cleaning hotel rooms, loading trash into a garbage truck, or operating on a person's brain.  You know what I mean? 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3

I don't know, I just think she's trying to let the ones who look at the industry and maybe see stars in their eyes know that yeah, when you make it, it can be a glamorous world but it doesn't happen overnight, unless you're really, really lucky. That it does take years of struggling, taking odd jobs, hustling, etc. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
23 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

I don't know, I just think she's trying to let the ones who look at the industry and maybe see stars in their eyes know that yeah, when you make it, it can be a glamorous world but it doesn't happen overnight, unless you're really, really lucky. That it does take years of struggling, taking odd jobs, hustling, etc. 

Okay.  I can accept that, I suppose.  Perhaps, I am super sensitive to the plight of many Americans who consider the so-called hard work that some of us complain of as "rich people problems."  lol  I don't begrudge her the win.  I do find it fascinating to see how it took 4 people to write a simple little song.  lol This description of how it came together helps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shallow_(Lady_Gaga_and_Bradley_Cooper_song)

• Love 1

I took Lady Gaga to also mean that there are a lot of hours put into something that seems so “short.” I don’t know what production was like for A Star is Born, but I’ve heard of 16+ hour production days for other things. While I think actors probably make way too much money, especially when other professions make way too little money, people reduce too often reduce their pay down to “thousands of dollars for a half hour!” when far more time went into it than us understood. 

• Love 3

Just wanted to give support, good wishes, positive thoughts and prayers to Selma Blair. Loved her Oscars party outfit; absolutely gorgeous. But, more importantly, I wanted to acknowledge her strength and beauty as she battles a very aggressive form of Mutiple Sclerosis.

selma-blair-2019-vanity-fair-oscar-party-11.thumb.jpg.b19aa1041b6007b55fcf0308d09f92af.jpg

You truly walk in beauty like the night. We are all with you! 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Pallida said:

I took Lady Gaga to also mean that there are a lot of hours put into something that seems so “short.” I don’t know what production was like for A Star is Born, but I’ve heard of 16+ hour production days for other things. While I think actors probably make way too much money, especially when other professions make way too little money, people reduce too often reduce their pay down to “thousands of dollars for a half hour!” when far more time went into it than us understood. 

And that doesn't include the promotional tours which must be exhausting and kind of mind numbing after a while.