Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

It may run over, but this is the first time it doesn't feel like it's running long.

Sad for Glenn.  I haven't seen anything Olivia has been in (waiting patiently for The Queen), but she has been adorable in every talk show I've seen her in.  Very sweet of her to acknowledge Glenn like she did.

• Love 6
Just now, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Olivia's speech was so amusing to me that I might actually bother watching The Favourite.

She is friggin brilliant in that film (hilarious, tragic, bitter). I was pulling for her to win the Oscar, but had begun to lose hope since Glenn seemed to be gathering steam. Such a pleasant surprise - and glad to see The Favourite take home an award. Olivia’s speech was the highlight of the evening for me (along with Spike).

• Love 10
1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

So much for the show coming in at 3 hours.  Silly us, we thought not having a host would help!

I would blame that on ads and some long speeches. It got rid of a lot of hosting bloat and annoying segments.   I say all things considered, this is running better than I was expecting. 

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, Camille said:

I thought so too. I was very surprised when the nominations came out--either all three were co-leads, or Colman was supporting while Stone and Weisz were leads.

I was really surprised too, it seems backwards. I actually hated the Favourite, but the acting was all very good.  And it is nice when there's a surprise win.

• Love 1
Just now, mtlchick said:

I would blame that on ads and some long speeches. It got rid of a lot of hosting bloat and annoying segments.   I say all things considered, this is running better than I was expecting. 

It feels more streamlined to me.  No ridiculous stunts by the host, minimal montages...if we could cut down on the number of ads, we would've been done on time.

• Love 12
Just now, mojoween said:

The show is running long because of speeches and presentations of nominated movies which is a win, I think.  Campaign for no host ever again starts now!

It’s running smoothly though. I don’t mind the length but I hate when we can feel it. That’s what so many of the bits and montages tend to do but a smoothly running long show is fine. 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, vb68 said:

I feel so bad for Glenn Close. It's got to sting. She seemed like such a shoo-in.

And no, there is no guarantee that she will ever win.

I feel so bad for her too. I know she has a long career of fine work, but I really loved her during Damages. And everything seemed set up for her win - didn’t she win every single precursor award before the Oscars?!

And I thought it would have been a nice Oscar moment for Frances to hand off the award to Glenn.

• Love 4

P

1 minute ago, Crs97 said:

Does Julia Roberts have incriminating photos of someone in charge of the Oscars?  There is absolutely no reason she should be on my screen tonight.

She looks beautiful, though 

• Love 6
35 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Has anybody seen The Wife?

I did (actually, I saw all five Best Actress nominations). She was terrific, but Olivia gave my favorite performance, followed by Melissa, then Glenn.

Edited by sweetcookieface
  • Love 2