Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Man this sucks. Couldn't we have had a tie? I love Olivia and I am thrilled for her but I'm so bummed for Glenn Close. And this is why I was nervous about Rami because I just had a gut feeling, there was going to be an upset in the lead categories, either with Actress or Actor. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, Silver Raven said:

Has anybody seen The Wife?

Yes.  The protagonists are horrid people.  Glenn Close was very good in it and merited a nomination.

The movie is a small film about small and deceitful characters.  

The professional ceilings women faced back in the day, however, were ubiquitous and awful.  It's not the focus of the movie, though.  

• Love 5
1 minute ago, ShadowHunter said:

Omg Olivia Coleman. Well some day Glenn Close will finally win.

Sadly I wonder if it'll be while she's still living at this point...and I am only partly joking. 

I just feel this was an opportunity to right so many wrongs. Blah.  

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

I feel bad for Glenn but I enjoy when the Oscars deliver a genuine surprise.

Yes and a well deserved one!  I know a lot said she shouldn't be in a lead catagory and she didn't do much, but there's something to be said for the restraint or the moments of understated portrayal that an actor can show with their character as well.  She's wonderful.

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, wallflower75 said:

No.  It lost the award it probably had the best chance of winning, Original Screenplay, to freaking Green Book.

So mad that The Favourite lost. If it had lost to First Reformed or possibly Roma, that may have softened the blow, but Green Book...?!

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

I don’t miss having a host at all.  They even managed to put in some funny bits with Melissa McCarthy/Bryan Tyree Henry snd Keegan Michael Key.

And Tina,Amy & Maya...I've enjoyed the humor tonight

• Love 2
1 minute ago, GreekGeek said:

Olivia!!! I'm happy she won, even though her role was more of a supporting character than lead. 

I thought so too. I was very surprised when the nominations came out--either all three were co-leads, or Colman was supporting while Stone and Weisz were leads.

• Love 2
Just now, Browncoat said:

So much for the show coming in at 3 hours.  Silly us, we thought not having a host would help!

Aaah, with only two awards to go, it's likely only going over by half an hour.  That's not quite as bad as in past years.

• Love 2
Just now, tennisgurl said:

Sad that Glenn didnt win, but Olivia is an amazing actress and just so damn charming!

I'm excited Olivia won. Had Glenn Close won it totally would have been a make-up or lifetime achievement and I'm sicking of the academy doing that. It just continually messes everything up. Glenn should be a multiple Oscar winner already (Fatal Attraction and Dangerous Liaisons, anyone). 

• Love 14
6 minutes ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

I tried watching it two different times and fell asleep both times. I don't think I'll try a third time.

I actually saw it today and thought it was pretty good. It's all subjective. Glenn Close was very good in it. 
Before I saw it I was picking Colman because she was just amazing.  I would have had no problem with Close winning, was actually pulling for her..but hell, it could have been a tie! 
Loved Colman's speech and her nod to Glenn. Ha I think she felt bad she took the Oscar from GC.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, 27bored said:

I think it’s, like, against the law to show people drinking in alcohol commercials. 

1 minute ago, Mystery said:

You can't drink beer in a commercial, can you?

Aww dammit stupid rules ruining my joke.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
Just now, ShellsandCheese said:

I'm excited Olivia won. Had Glenn Close won it totally would have been a make-up or lifetime achievement and I'm sicking of the academy doing that. It just continually messes everything up. Glenn should be a multiple Oscar winner already (Fatal Attraction and Dangerous Liaisons, anyone). 

I agree.  I recently rewatched Dangerous Liaisons and she blew me away all over again.  Jodie Foster gave a great performance in The Accused that year, but...damn, Glenn was good in that movie.

• Love 3