Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Honestly I just want to listen to Bohemian Rhapsody on a loop now.  I haven’t seen the movie yet, but my son saw it four times and loved it.

Just wondering, did US citizen Rami Malek get shit about playing the ultimate Brit like Renee Zellweger did about playing Bridget Jones?

Just now, Vermicious Knid said:

We are actually on track to finish within 3 hours.

Wellll....we've still got three awards to go, and thirteen minutes to the 3-hour mark.  So maybe not.  But it won't go too far over.  Bohemian Rhapsody is now 4-for-4, with one to go.

Just now, AnswersWanted said:

Rami lost his Mama, nice going Oscars, she couldn't get a front row seat with her baby boy??

Boooooo! You KNEW he was winning the damn thing!

I remember when Kate Winslet won, her dad had to whistle from way up in the balconies for her to be able to place him.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, irisheyes said:

I thought that’s what John Lewis was here for.  What’s he doing then?

Spike likes to invite civil rights giants when he's nominated.  He brought Rosa Parks the year he was nominated for 'Four Little Girls'.  He was ROBBED that year.

• Love 6
Just now, Steph J said:

I remember when Kate Winslet won, her dad had to whistle from way up in the balconies for her to be able to place him.

I was thinking about the time when Christian Bale couldn't find his wife in the audience.

2 minutes ago, ShellsandCheese said:

I must be the only person who wasn't that impressed by Bohemian Rhapsody, and by extension Rami. 

Trust me, you weren’t. I felt like Rami gave a career defining performance in a fair to middling film, kind of like Jamie Fox in Ray.

2 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

It more than worked out, Rami!  Especially if the rumors were true that you led the charge to get creepy Bryan Singer canned.

I believe that. Rami’s been doing his best to not mention Singer this whole time. Can’t say I blame him.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Ultimate Brit? Freddie's family is from Zanzibar.

I thought he moved to the UK when he was young, but also I could be crazy.  But still.  Rami is neither British nor from Zanzibar, heh.

Interesting that actor who lip synced (mostly) an impression of a real musician wins over an actor who learns to play guitar and piano, and learns to sing a (mostly) original character.  Just wasn't that impressed with the craftsianship of Rami Malek. 

• Love 11
5 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Honestly I just want to listen to Bohemian Rhapsody on a loop now.  I haven’t seen the movie yet, but my son saw it four times and loved it.

Just wondering, did US citizen Rami Malek get shit about playing the ultimate Brit like Renee Zellweger did about playing Bridget Jones?

Not even about being an Egyptian playing a Persian.

• Love 2

So far enjoying the show with no host. It’s zipping along a lot faster since they got rid of some of on air award presentations and a host. But still don’t understand why they didn’t stick to last years’ winners presenting to this years? Or Streisand not introducing A Star is Born? And again with Julia Roberts? Try for Helen Mirren next time. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Steph J said:

It's so maddening. And disrespectful in my eyes, yes they may not be the biggest of names but the family, if present, should be allowed front and center seats. Some of those around him are just seat fillers too. Gah!

Loved that Nike commercial. Gave me straight up chills.

• Love 7