Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

Thanks for this clip.  What a delightful acceptance speech!  Also enjoyed seeing shots of stars in the audience -- Martin Landau, Gregory Peck, Robin Williams, Jack Lemmon, Red Buttons(?).

Yes that was Red Buttons. Most of the celebrities they lingered on during Mr. Donen’s speech, except then-couple Arnold Schwarzenegger & Maria Shriver (& maybe a few others), sadly predeceased Mr. Donen.

I like Laura Harrier's dress and I'm impressed that she went with sustainable fashion. I'm a little worried that those beads on the butt are going to be painful to sit on.

Jinx @Browncoat

Edited by ABay
  • Love 1

I'm old, and my musical tastes tend to lean towards classic rock and/or musicians and bands who were big in the '70s and '80s, but I get a kick out of the fact that a lot of people are just now "discovering" Queen.   Oh well.  I guess better late than never.

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, ABay said:

Awkwafina is the fashion loser of the night so far.

While I wasn't crazy about the fashion, she would have looked a lot better had she stood up straight while posing for photos. Slumped is not flattering. 

Watching Etalk on CTV and they interviewed Richard E Grant.  Ben Mulroney told him that Barbra Streisand will be there and he's on the verge of flipping out  (Google recent stories about he wrote her a fan letter years ago and she tweeted him back.)  Now  I hope he finally gets to meet so he can die a happy lad. 

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, Catgyrl said:

Looks like Adam+Queen will be singing "We Are The Champions".

Oh. Not one of my favorites. I usually turn tune out after We Will Rock You. I hope they start with that one because a slow song doesn't say "Let's get this party started!" to me. Although it is another good one for incorporating a video of Freddie.

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 2
Just now, Browncoat said:

I can be a fan of Linda Cardellini and still hate her dress.

Agreed!  😄. I'm just cutting her some slack. And she is thin and can carry off something I couldn't.  MMV of course!

5 minutes ago, TVFan17 said:

I'm old, and my musical tastes tend to lean towards classic rock and/or musicians and bands who were big in the '70s and '80s, but I get a kick out of the fact that a lot of people are just now "discovering" Queen.   Oh well.  I guess better late than never.

Back when Glee was on and they did Queen song, I was working at a store for kids and teens. A Queen song came on and the kids were talking about "the song from Glee" and I shuddered just a bit. And it's not like I'm really old enough to have heard them back in their most famous, as I'm 42 now. Damn kids were making me feel old and I was maybe 37 or 38 at the time. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
29 minutes ago, Catgyrl said:

Looks like Adam+Queen will be singing "We Are The Champions".

That's one of my least favorite popular Queen songs.  It also feels too on the nose when it's sung during a competition. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 5