Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, Simon Boccanegra said:

EW's mega-composite Honest Oscar Ballot makes nothing clearer, other than that "Shallow" is a slam-dunk in the Song category.    

https://ew.com/oscars/2019/02/21/oscars-anonymous-voters-reveal-picks/

I do wonder which actress "known for supporting roles in Oscar-nominated projects," who identifies as black in her remarks, made the nasty comment about being sick of "all these damn Brits" coming over and winning Oscars. 

I think it's Taraji P. Henson... some other posters in the comments thought the same.  Not sure if she was joking or serious about the Brits always winning.  It's obvious that she is very biased in her opinions/voting and I wish they had picked someone that could be a little more objective.  She admits to being friends with Regina King.  She picks "Black Panther" wherever she can, even for Best Original Song and Best Score.  She picks "Roma" because "I like that it's about Hispanic housekeepers because we have to deal with them living in L.A."  Huh?  The movie was set in Mexico, and while I guess the housekeeper in the movie is Mexican and therefore Hispanic, I am not sure if "The Actress" is actually trying to make a comparison between being Mexican and working as a housekeeper in Mexico for a middle class Mexican family vs. being Mexican and working as a housekeeper in California for rich Americans.  Her comment had one of these "oh I felt sorry for her because I have a Mexican housekeeper myself so I know what it's like" vibes.

• Love 1

The EW ballot list made everything more confusing!

IMO, only Rami Malek is safe. Regina King will probably win.

Olivia Colman could best Glenn Close, same for Richard E. Grant vs Mahershala Ali.

Also, if Roma will split the vote, taking Best Foreign Film but losing Best Picture. The Favourite is the film to most likely benefit from split voting.

IMO, only Rami Malek is safe. Regina King will probably win.

You think Rami is completely safe? Trust me, I would love for you to be right. But all these damn anonymous ballots are making me nervous that Christian Bale might swoop in there.

Of course I was sure Bale would win the SAG and that didn't happen. Then I was sure BAFTA would at least go his way and Rami won that too. So maybe I should start having more faith in Rami.

The Favourite is the film to most likely benefit from split voting.

Definitely agree with this. It's baffling to me how little the pundits are predicting it for Best Picture, considering the film has 10 nominations. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

As we get ready for the big night...a reminder that we have the awesome Movies forum available to discuss the specifics of the different movies. A little chatter is fine here, but for a more in-depth conversation on a specific film, please head over there to take the deep dive!

In the mean time, I'm popping the corn, consulting with my stylist (I will be wearing the newest fashion from Kohl's pajama section), and getting ready for the show!

• Love 5

To think all this drama over the host could have been avoided it it worked out for Dwayne Johnson to host. Maybe they can book him next year.

I'm kind of hoping BlacKkKlansman wins Best Picture or Director just to hear Spike Lee's speech. It would make up for all the crap from the last couple weeks just to hear him say, "It's about fucking time!" and drop the mic.

1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

I'm kind of hoping BlacKkKlansman wins Best Picture or Director just to hear Spike Lee's speech. It would make up for all the crap from the last couple weeks just to hear him say, "It's about fucking time!" and drop the mic.

I have not seen Roma or Vice, but of the other 6, BlackkKlansman is the one I would have voted for.  And I say that as someone who loves the Marvel movie franchise and who names BoRhap as my favorite movie of the year. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

I wonder if Stanley Donen will make it into the In Memorium? I know it’s late, but it would be a huge oversight and if they can retool the Grammys hours after Whitney Houston’s death, they can add a few clips of Stanley’s. 

One of the fondest memories of the Oscars I have is when Stanley received his honorary Oscar and he had a fantastic acceptance speech complete with singing 'Cheek to Cheek' and a little dancing.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Shannon L. said:

What station does everyone watch for the red carpet?  I usually watch E!, but see that ABC has one starting at 1:30pm (EST).  Which one is usually better, in your opinion?

I'll start with E! at 5 (EST) and then switch back and forth between that and ABC when theirs starts later.  It's all just filler before 5, and sometimes even until 5:30 or so. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, galaxygirl76 said:

One of the fondest memories of the Oscars I have is when Stanley received his honorary Oscar and he had a fantastic acceptance speech complete with singing 'Cheek to Cheek' and a little dancing.

Thanks for this clip.  What a delightful acceptance speech!  Also enjoyed seeing shots of stars in the audience -- Martin Landau, Gregory Peck, Robin Williams, Jack Lemmon, Red Buttons(?).

• Love 1

The site closed me out a few minutes ago. Too many connections? Whatever. Bring on the hideousness.

Wow, 6 minutes in and I'm already sick of Victoria's Secret.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, SimoneS said:

Winning is all about the behind the scenes campaigning so I just hope that Sony/Marvel went all out to get Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse that win.

I'm pretty sure that's one of the locks for tonight. It has swept Globes, Critics Choice, BAFTA and PGA, and it won everything it was nominated for at the Animation Guild awards. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3
Just now, truthaboutluv said:

I'm pretty sure that's one of the locks for tonight. It has swept Globes, Critics Choice, BAFTA and PGA won everything it was nominated for at the Animation Guild awards. 

Good to know. I haven't been paying attention. I loved that movie so I am hoping it wins the biggest award.

So I guess Queen (with Adam Lambert) is opening the show, supposedly?   That should  be good, but I wonder if they are only performing "Bohemian Rhapsody" or doing a medley of sorts.   Does anyone know?   I'd love for them to get the entire audience clapping and stomping along to "We Will Rock You", but that might be too much to ask.     Can they arrange for Adam Lambert to sit on Glenn Close's lap and sing to her or something?  lol

I finally saw A Star is Born (I had been waiting until it got to On Demand), and, while it was a flawed movie in certain sections, I pretty much loved it.   (I am a sucker for movies in which famous people fall in love with non-famous people!)   I was surprised at how many songs I liked from the movie.  And, although I think the only award it will win tonight will be in the Best Original Song category, I am actually quite stunned that Bradley Cooper was not nominated for Best Director.  I'm not saying that he should have won -- simply because I haven't seen all of the other movies to be able to compare directing styles -- but he should absolutely have been nominated, and it's weird that he wasn't.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

65, which is warmer than it has been in a couple of weeks.

Very true.   My apartment (in Los Angeles) has felt like a meat locker recently -- and I say that as someone who detests hot weather and loves chilly weather.   Normally, I am the one who is doing a happy dance if it drops down to 40 degrees.    I have no idea why it has suddenly seemed so cold to me lately, because this should be ideal weather for me!

• Love 1

I like the BlackKKlansman woman's necklace a lot.  Her dress is nice, too.

Not a huge fan of the chain mail look in general, so Amandla Steinberg's dress didn't do anything for me.

The red velvet tux would look better without the bow tie that's trying to eat his head.