Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Weird. If they cared so much about Selma, maybe they shouldn't have snubbed them in the first place.

yeah... I think that was the whole point of the bit.  And the "Annie" joke, which I think was a bit too subtle.  I actually think (agree? Did someone mention this above?) NPH was trying to comment on the fact that audiences didn't seem to accept a non-white Annie (similar vein to his opening "whitest" comment) but it flew past.  (hell...Target deservedly got a lot of flack for doing an "annie-inspired girls' clothing line as a tie-in with the movie but using a white girl as "Annie" even though Annie was being played by the adorable Quvenzhané Wallis.)

I like the GG's because they are a mix of television and film

Heh...that's probably a big part of why the GG's are looser. The TV audience members don't take themselves quite so seriously and therefore add some energy to the room! 

Had never heard Rita Ora sing before, but will say she is gorgeous. 

Edited by loriro
  • Love 3
I don't disagree about it, but to bring it up during an awards show?  It is.  It's not the time or the place.

In this case I find it really appropriate.  When the film industry began over 80% of the industry was women - directors, writers, editors, you name it.  Now it's a very male run, and even though there are women in the studio offices, it's not what it used to be.  

• Love 18
In this case I find it really appropriate.  When the film industry began over 80% of the industry was women - directors, writers, editors, you name it.  Now it's a very male run, and even though there are women in the studio offices, it's not what it used to be.

Don't forget the tidbit from the Sony leak that the women of American Hustle were paid less than the men.

• Love 5

Not expecting the Disney win. I'm still upset all those Disney Renaissance films were not eligible for best animated feature (the award wasn't created yet) but I thought they'd spread the wealth around tonight. 

Also, Oscar orchestra: Your uplifting story has no dead relatives. NEXT!

I think NPH is going yeoman's work out there.  The crowd is so not helping.  But I'm laughing.

Yep... they REALLY aren't at all into the jokes that are at their expense.  Like the LEGO MOVIE joke.  That's the biggest and most inexplicable snub of the year by all accounts and NPH making a joke about it just was not something the audience was prepared to acknowledge.  Well... tough.  Y'all were the ones who snubbed it, so deal with the consequences.  

I've come to terms with the fact that for me it's not NPH that's making this a disappointing show...it's the audience. Gah. 

• Love 2

I fail to see why having a huge audience is NOT "the place for" anything "political," although why equal rights for women is deemed "political" I'm not sure. Patricia read probably so she wouldn't omit anything before the music began.

I'm glad I watched the trailers today to be able to get the NPH underwear and drummer gag!

• Love 3

NPH is dying a slow, pitiful death on stage. Someone, please, put him and us out of the misery.

At this point, I can't think of anyone who'd be a good host. Everyone seems to bomb. Maybe have Bill Murray do it? He has a comic background, too. But yeah, probably would suffer the same fate.

Although I don't think anyone was as awful as Anne Hathaway and James Franco. That was just...painful.

• Love 2

Here, have a drool bib!

Oh thanks, I gotta little something... *Dabs*

Why can't he be the host? At least if he bombs he'll still be attractive and good to look at. And imagine him strutting around in nothing but a pair of tight undies like during his "The Rock" days... *Dabs some more*

• Love 2

Obvs I feel like "The LEGO Movie" should have been at least nominated but I have been slowly falling in love with TJ Miller since last summer so I love that "Big Hero 6" won and he jumped up in the cheap seats.

• Love 2

At this point, I can't think of anyone who'd be a good host. Everyone seems to bomb. Maybe have Bill Murray do it? He has a comic background, too. But yeah, probably would suffer the same fate.

Although I don't think anyone was as awful as Anne Hathaway and James Franco. That was just...painful.

No lie......I had entirely blocked that out until I read your post.

• Love 1