Type keyword(s) to search

Dean Winchester: aka Squirrel

• Start Topic

Posting this here because we don't have a Jensen thread.

This would be perfect for Jensen.  Its about a guy from Austin, Texas trying to survive in a post apocalyptic world.  Its from the team behind Chernobyl 

• Love 5
22 hours ago, ILoveReading said:

Posting this here because we don't have a Jensen thread.

This would be perfect for Jensen.  Its about a guy from Austin, Texas trying to survive in a post apocalyptic world.  Its from the team behind Chernobyl 

I would so love that! Another thing I would love to see him in is a sort of Jack Ryan type role. He would be great!

• Love 2

As the show is coming back, I realize I was perfectly happy with the hiatus and wish it never ended. I will only miss the things that could have been and memories of Dean as a character. Not even what he is now in Dabbernatural. Season 2 and Season 4 and MOC Dean, those I will miss and mourn.

Maybe it's because I found a new show/fandom with a Dean-like character (apparently my type is iron-clad) that it feels easier and easier to simply ignore SPN beyond Season 11.

Hopefully Jensen announces something good in the future.

• Love 5
38 minutes ago, Aeryn13 said:

As the show is coming back, I realize I was perfectly happy with the hiatus and wish it never ended. I will only miss the things that could have been and memories of Dean as a character. Not even what he is now in Dabbernatural. Season 2 and Season 4 and MOC Dean, those I will miss and mourn.

Maybe it's because I found a new show/fandom with a Dean-like character (apparently my type is iron-clad) that it feels easier and easier to simply ignore SPN beyond Season 11.

Hopefully Jensen announces something good in the future.

Who is this Dean-like character you speak of?

Yeah, a new fandom is always the best salve when losing an old one, or when an old fav show has gone off the rails.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, PAForrest said:

Who is this Dean-like character you speak of?

Yeah, a new fandom is always the best salve when losing an old one, or when an old fav show has gone off the rails.

I found myself with something completely new (to me), a Chinese fantasy show called "The Untamed". The main character is fun-loving, mischievious but also incredibly caring for his family and protective of everyone weaker or in need. He just can't not jump in and be a hero. Secretely, he makes an enormous sacrifice for his younger brother that propels the entire plot forward on some level and leads to lots and lots of suffering. I found myself bawling several times

I mean, sound familiar? 😂

Edited by Aeryn13
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2

I'm wondering it there should be Jensen and Jared threads separate from their SPN characters. I know that we have the Supernormal and Media threads but they're still mostly SPN related. Maybe a thread to follow both actors after they move on from SPN? Just a thought 🙂

• Love 5
12 hours ago, DeeDee79 said:

I'm wondering it there should be Jensen and Jared threads separate from their SPN characters. I know that we have the Supernormal and Media threads but they're still mostly SPN related. Maybe a thread to follow both actors after they move on from SPN? Just a thought 🙂

Good idea. However, what will happen to this forum overall when the show has aired its last episode? Ironically the shutdown is what will likely keep the forum the way it is for longer than would have happened if the finale aired on May 18.

• Useful 1
8 hours ago, PAForrest said:

Good idea. However, what will happen to this forum overall when the show has aired its last episode? Ironically the shutdown is what will likely keep the forum the way it is for longer than would have happened if the finale aired on May 18.

Don't they keep forums for shows that are popular and in re-runs, but no longer showing new episodes?

• Useful 2

I don’t understand the weird brimmed hats.. but I’m from England so there’s that.  He’s got the looks and physique to wear anything he damn well chooses and he knows it. But I am often surprised at his eclectic choices, especially the last few years.

I do appreciate that Jensen always brings the complexity no matter how dire the script. And I’m way more excited about Jensen’s next project than I am about the ending.

Oh ... I also don’t get Slipknot??

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Pondlass1 said:

I don’t understand the weird brimmed hats.. but I’m from England so there’s that.  He’s got the looks and physique to wear anything he damn well chooses and he knows it. But I am often surprised at his eclectic choices, especially the last few years.

I'm not a fan of hats indoors, even as fashion statements, but I have to say I much prefer Jensen's choices to Jared's beanies.  JMO.  

• Love 6
15 hours ago, ahrtee said:

Proof that Alec from Dark Angel really is a very young Dean Winchester:

I forgot how much I loved Jensen's hair as Alec. It should be illegal for someone to look this fabulous - so as to prevent early heart attacks!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

All seriousness,  he looks ten years younger than he did in March. There has to be a crossroads involved somehow.

Whatever role Jensen gets next he really needs to keep this look.

• Love 4

All seriousness,  he looks ten years younger than he did in March.

I think this is why I'm so reminded of Alec. Though that would mean, what, 20 years younger? 😲  Except that he's barely aged at all?

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, ILoveReading said:

Since we don't have a Jensen thread, I thought I'd put this here.  I was hoping he'd make a fan art and I'm not disappointed.

Not a big fan of that, but given he's supposed to be a soldier, I'm expecting a more military style cut (Dean-like actually) or a slicked down version, like Michael!Dean. He's supposed to have served in WWII right? I wonder what era they will go for, assuming he doesn't age, a la Captain America.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Bringing this over from the Public Appearances thread:

Thanks.  It sounds like he put a lot of thought into how he wanted to take his next step.  He's always really thoughtful and intelligent when he talks about this stuff.  Back when the Cons first started and people still sometimes asked serious questions and he did Q & A's on his own, he always gave such thoughtful answers when it came to the show, acting, etc.  And I do hope at least some of those plural projects are another acting project.  He and Steve are already working on a second Radio Co album but I want more acting!  

Jensen did acknowledge in the Rosey podcast that he gets asked about new projects and specifically in the way of if he wants to do something completely different right now but he said that he specifically enjoys playing character types like Dean Winchester and if a project comes along that is in that vein, why ever would he not?

He also enjoys/would love to play characters types like Indiana Jones, John McClane, that kind of thing. I know some snobs will whinge about how those roles are surface level or how it is because he has limited acting abilities and no range and only can play this type bla bla blibbity blah, seen it all. I saw him first on Dark Angel, playing two completely different character types who were distinctly different so I just laugh about those remarks. 

And personally those are not only cool, fun characters but also ones I very much enjoy watching so if Jensen gravitates towards that, rock on with your bad self.   

I got the distinct impression that a 22 episodes network Season is a no-way-deal for him, unless it was a role of a lifetime. Even if he headlined it, I don`t think he wants that. Maybe he is more after a character like Jeffrey Dean Morgan who is a household name but to my best knowledge never headlined his own project, he just played very prominent roles in shows/movies. Since Jensen was a lead for 15 years, I guess he feels like he has done his dues that way. Haha.

Oh, and he did mention he wants Dean Winchester to have a good legacy. No idea if he thinks that is possible. With him, it is a bit harder to tell if he was bummed out at the ending more for Dean or more for the show overall. From the way he phrased things here, he seemed unhappy with the finality and would still like a pick-up in a couple of years. Hm. When he said the legacy thing, it was in the context of his possible next role which I couldn`t really make the connection. No matter what role it was, why would it influence how Dean is viewed? Maybe I couldn`t just follow his thought process there.

Also, a cool factoid about Bruce Campbell and Supernatural. I never heard that before. Not in 15 years of interviews and cons. 

Edited by Aeryn13
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, Aeryn13 said:

And personally those are not only cool, fun characters but also ones I very much enjoy watching so if Jensen gravitates towards that, rock on with your bad self.  

John McClane literally saved Bruce Willis from total obscurity and turned into one of the most iconic characters in movie history.  I would love to see Jensen continue with Dean's cool bravado and quick wit.  Jensen has something that BW really didn't have the acting range for and that is the raw emotion he can bring to a scene.  I really can't wait to see what he does next.

I don't think even Andrew Dabb can erase everything (or anything really) we love about Dean.  No matter how hard he tried.

Edited by Casseiopeia
  • Love 7

If Jensen Ackles played John McLane, my little fangirl heart would explode. Die Hard is my favourite action movie of all time. There is nothing wrong with playing roles you love, no matter what they are. We know Jensen has range - to suggest otherwise is just wilful blindness, IMO. He could do a lot worse than iconic characters like Indy or John.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

If Jensen Ackles played John McLane, my little fangirl heart would explode. Die Hard is my favourite action movie of all time. There is nothing wrong with playing roles you love, no matter what they are. We know Jensen has range - to suggest otherwise is just wilful blindness, IMO. He could do a lot worse than iconic characters like Indy or John.

Gosh, I love "Die Hard", my favorite action movie too along with the Indy movies. Dream roles either way. Besides the original "Die Hard", my favorite is the one when John is older and trying to protect the computer kid - "Live Free or Die Hard". I enjoy the way humor is brought in while the action is in full force.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, FlickChick said:

Gosh, I love "Die Hard", my favorite action movie too along with the Indy movies. Dream roles either way. Besides the original "Die Hard", my favorite is the one when John is older and trying to protect the computer kid - "Live Free or Die Hard". I enjoy the way humor is brought in while the action is in full force.

Our family considers the first Die Hard one our Christmas movies. 🙂  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, FlickChick said:

I loved Live Free or Die Hard as well.  My favorite after the original.  

7 minutes ago, tessathereaper said:

Our family considers the first Die Hard one our Christmas movies

It certainly is mine.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Aeryn13 said:

Bringing this over from the Public Appearances thread:

Jensen did acknowledge in the Rosey podcast that he gets asked about new projects and specifically in the way of if he wants to do something completely different right now but he said that he specifically enjoys playing character types like Dean Winchester and if a project comes along that is in that vein, why ever would he not?

He also enjoys/would love to play characters types like Indiana Jones, John McClane, that kind of thing. I know some snobs will whinge about how those roles are surface level or how it is because he has limited acting abilities and no range and only can play this type bla bla blibbity blah, seen it all. I saw him first on Dark Angel, playing two completely different character types who were distinctly different so I just laugh about those remarks. 

I got the distinct impression that a 22 episodes network Season is a no-way-deal for him, unless it was a role of a lifetime. Even if he headlined it, I don`t think he wants that. Maybe he is more after a character like Jeffrey Dean Morgan who is a household name but to my best knowledge never headlined his own project, he just played very prominent roles in shows/movies. Since Jensen was a lead for 15 years, I guess he feels like he has done his dues that way. Haha.

Oh, and he did mention he wants Dean Winchester to have a good legacy. No idea if he thinks that is possible. With him, it is a bit harder to tell if he was bummed out at the ending more for Dean or more for the show overall. From the way he phrased things here, he seemed unhappy with the finality and would still like a pick-up in a couple of years. Hm. When he said the legacy thing, it was in the context of his possible next role which I couldn`t really make the connection. No matter what role it was, why would it influence how Dean is viewed? Maybe I couldn`t just follow his thought process there.

Also, a cool factoid about Bruce Campbell and Supernatural. I never heard that before. Not in 15 years of interviews and cons. 

The reveal about going after Bruce Campbell for an older John was the first I think any of us had ever heard of it. Surprising it hasn't come out before now. If it has, I've completely forgotten about it or never heard it myself.

I think you're right that Jensen is not down for a regular network year-long series on the heels of finishing up SPN. In fact, it was interesting when he said how you never know, they might get together 5 years from now, dust off the show, and do a 6-episode "streaming" update. In other words, IF they really ever wanted to do a limited reboot or revisit of the series, he's not interested in how they're doing it now, but something much smaller and specifically for a streaming network - which would be WB's HBOMax service, since the WB owns the series. That would be better, IMO, especially if they got a new showrunner and good writers. I assume the Js would at the very least be the exec producers.

Bottom line, I think he sees streaming as the future and way to go in terms of television - and he's not wrong. Not that I think he'd turn down any part he really wanted if it was on a regular network, but it feels like streaming is where he's looking right now.

I'd have to go back and rewatch the interview to be reminded of what you're confused about when it comes to Dean's legacy. I honestly couldn't tell if he was very unhappy with the finale or what - or more disappointed than we knew he was before the season even started. He said something along the line of he hoped they did it justice even with the COVID changes, which IMO he made sound more significant than we've heard before. I know some folks think we won't see any difference on screen, but even a couple months ago that wasn't at all the way Showalter presented it given how openly he expressed his disappointment at the changes. I think it's going to be hard to watch without noting changes now that we already know they've been made.

It does sound like he's most interested in characters like Dean - larger than life kind of action heroes/characters. Though he did say he certainly wouldn't be uninterested in something completely different, like a romantic comedy, for instance, with a good producer/writer/director, etc. But it sounds like the action characters are what he enjoys. Obviously his upcoming character in The Boys is along that vein. It'll be interesting to see what comes after Soldier Boy, and in particular what those other "irons" are that he had in the fire.

I love these very intimate kind of interviews, especially with friends. Honestly, the whole zoom thing has made these a lot more accessible than the traditional print mag interview.

• Love 6

It was interesting to me that when talking about random possibilities going forward he specifically mentioned, say, if he got a meet with Chuck Lorre and bam, he's in a half hour show. Hmmm. It was also interesting to me that he's apparently friends with Nathan Fillion (enough to talk about his career arc) and calls Sandra Bullock 'Sandy'. 🙂 Seems like Jensen is better known in entertainment circles than we might expect.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
11 minutes ago, ukgirl71 said:

so it’s a small show biz world.

That's basically the reason why Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon not only works every time but could easily be renamed Two Degrees of Kevin Bacon. 😁

Oh, and way back when Jensen did the Still Life pilot with Morena Baccarin as his love interest. Who of course played Nathan Fillion's love interest in Firefly.

And Jake Abel played the son of Hermes in Percy Jackson where Fillion played Hermes.

Small world indeed.

Edited by Aeryn13
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1