Type keyword(s) to search

Crimes You'd Like To See On Dateline: Calling Keith Morrison!

cooksdelight
  • Start Topic

I saw this story this morning, and would love for Dateline to do an in-depth story:

http://crimefeed.com/2015/10/man-arrested-after-confessing-to-killing-teen-girl-30-years-earlier-claims-her-ghost-haunts-him/

A man confessed to a murder he committed 30 years ago because he says the ghost of the dead girl has been haunting him.

That would be interesting.

I saw a twist on this theme of the ghost notion on an old Unsolved Mystery. The murder victim was a young nurse who haunted/appeared to someone, a friend, a neighbor, IDK  (not the murderer) and the victim ghost gave the person clues to go to the police in order to pursue the murderer. I thought, why not just haunt the hell out of the murderer? :)

• Love 3

That would be interesting.

I saw a twist on this theme of the ghost notion on an old Unsolved Mystery. The murder victim was a young nurse who haunted/appeared to someone, a friend, a neighbor, IDK  (not the murderer) and the victim ghost gave the person clues to go to the police in order to pursue the murderer. I thought, why not just haunt the hell out of the murderer? :)

You can bet your booty I'd be haunting THE HELL out of my murderer, relentlessly and with every poltergeist power I could muster, until the dirtbag fed my cats and every other stray animal for the rest of his miserable life.   I PITY the poor sucker who murders me - he'd never have another moment's peace!   :-)

• Love 8

You can bet your booty I'd be haunting THE HELL out of my murderer, relentlessly and with every poltergeist power I could muster, until the dirtbag fed my cats and every other stray animal for the rest of his miserable life.   I PITY the poor sucker who murders me - he'd never have another moment's peace!   :-)

Heh yes! Preach!

On a lighter note I told my bf that when I go before him I will come back and rearrange his sock drawer ...so he'll know it's me.,,,, hovering in the vicinity. :)

• Love 3

A man confessed to a murder he committed 30 years ago because he says the ghost of the dead girl has been haunting him.

LOL. When superstition and conscience collide! I was also tickled by another story linked on that page, about the man with the meth lab in his pants. I would LOVE for Keith Morrison to do an indepth investigation into Secret Meth Labs In Pants. :)

On a more serious note, I would love for Dateline to go international and cover the Christine Jessop case, which has been a mess since day one, sadly, including police misconduct and mishandling of evidence. 31 years later and still unsolved:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/christine-jessop-s-family-still-hoping-for-justice-30-years-later-1.2784486

• Love 5

There's a local case I'd love to send to Keith. It was deemed a murder/suicide... case closed. However, knowing the family involved, there was no way.

I spoke with the woman's mother last night and asked her if she'd feel like writing down all the details for me to submit. Here's what I know: Woman was at home alone with her son. She was divorced, a nasty one, and her husband had the other two boys. She didn't own a gun. She had a large amount of cash hidden in the house, emergency money, because she was afraid of her husband.

Two days before the incident, a handyman had been by to do some work and reported that she was happy, in good spirits, etc. She was found dead, with her son also shot. The son had been shot 9 hours before she died.

The money went missing. A bank teller reported to my friend that a sheriff's deputy tried to deposit the exact same amount in his personal account. A gun was found in the house near her body, one registered to her husband.

The police quickly closed the case and called it murder/suicide. No investigation. A friend of the family's who is with the FBI reopened the case on his own, and was quickly shut down.

Why, you ask? Because the husband's family is very well-connected here. Money and power talks. The people who move here who were not raised here are considered outsiders, as this family was. It burns me up inside to know that the woman didn't kill her son or herself, it just isn't possible. Her husband was pissed because the one son wanted to live with his mother and not him.

• Love 8

We have an old one in Rhode Island that has never been solved.  About 30 years ago, Jerri Anne Richards, a 4-month-old baby went missing from her crib in the middle of the night.  The family lived on the second floor of an apartment house, and it was at first thought that a kidnapper entered through the window of the baby's room, which could be accessed from the roof of an ell.  The father, Ralph Richards, had a history of being involved in drug deals, and the police thought the kidnapping might be revenge for a deal gone bad or possibly that the parents themselves were complicit in the crime.  Ultimately, the baby's body was found and the parents were charged and tried separately.  The father stood trial for sexual molestation of the child, and the mother, Donna Richards, was charged with murder, but when the father was found not guilty, evidence from his trial then could not be used against the mother, and her charges were dropped.

Now here's the thing:  During the investigation it was learned that prior to Jerri Ann's disappearance that two Pawtucket police officers on patrol saw a ladder going up to the Richards' apartment. To investigate, they climbed up, went through the window and saw the family sleeping.  The officers and the PD were lambasted in the press for their actions of entering an occupied apartment without there being a reason other than curiosity and without a warrant.  They left the premises in the same manner without waking the family.

The parents are now divorced and have moved from RI to somewhere in the Midwest.

It looks like the case may be revived again.  http://turnto10.com/archive/trials-of-the-century-the-murder-of-jerri-ann-Richard

Here's a link to the Google search results if you'd like deeper background:  https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Ralph+Richards%27+case+in+RI

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 4

Oct 21 2015. 9:07 am

I saw this story this morning, and would love for Dateline to do an in-depth story:

http://crimefeed.com...ost-haunts-him/

OMG!! I know this isn't funny, but the timing is perfect for Halloween. Yes, I would like to see that and find out whether the man was cuckoo when he committed the crime or only after "the haunting."

• Love 2

http://www.ohio.com/news/body-found-in-woods-at-chapel-hill-1.65772

JoAnne was one of my very best friends beginning in first grade and all the way through school. We continued to be close until her murder.

JoAnne was what you would call "the perfect girl." She had a beautiful face and figure, long black hair turned under at the bottom, and nearly always a smile to greet others. Naturally, she was Homecoming Queen. She didn't possess a fake bone in her body, and she was modest, religious and very popular.

After church one night near Thanksgiving, she stopped off at the Chapel Hill Mall to pick something up at O'Neil's department store. She completed her purchase and was seen walking out the main entrance to the parking lot, and that was the last time she was seen alive. She was tortured for two days and nights nearby until she finally died of her wounds.

This article mentions two other crimes of the same nature against women in the area, and a drifter was arrested and charged. Still, police could not establish for certain that he was also guilty of JoAnne's slaying, so he wasn't charged. He was sentenced to the penitentiary for the other two crimes.

Last year, I happened to read that the man was about to be executed. I called across the country and spoke with a reporter on the case, and she and the publisher were ready to call the governor to stop the execution and reopen the case. There was just one problem. I read the article at 11:30 a.m. and was in no rush to call the reporter. The man was executed 30 minutes later. I felt tremendous guilt.

Everyone who knew JoAnne, and many who didn't, wanted to see the case solved, especially because JoAnne was so special. There is deep resentment toward the Police Department for not pursuing the case as hard as they could have and for never revealing the info they had. Her death is still a cold case. I would give anything if Keith Morrison and crew descended on Akron and grilled the policemen involved. The public felt that the police already had their guy for the other two crimes, so why work hard to solve JoAnne's brutal torture and murder? It was almost like a cover-up. There were a number of witnesses who saw JoAnne outside the mall, but what did they see? If only for the sake of Chuck (her husband) and her sons, this case screams to be reopened.

Edited by Lura
  • Love 6

I actually thought about Dateline when I first heard about this case.  I hoped the case would be solved so Amanda's husband wouldn't have to go through the filming, etc.  It was just the kind of case that I think Dateline likes to spotlight ... the perfect wife, pretty, good mother, pregnant, etc.  So incredibly sad.

• Love 2
cooksdelight, on 23 Nov 2015 - 05:52 AM, said:

An arrest has been made in the murdered pastor's wife case.

http://abc13.com/news/arrest-made-in-murder-of-pregnant-pastors-wife/1095839/

Lura, on 23 Nov 2015 - 10:35 PM, said:

I actually thought about Dateline when I first heard about this case.  I hoped the case would be solved so Amanda's husband wouldn't have to go through the filming, etc.  It was just the kind of case that I think Dateline likes to spotlight ... the perfect wife, pretty, good mother, pregnant, etc.  So incredibly sad.

And now, the suspects/perpetrators 18 and 21 years old - trifecta.

• Love 3

So sad and so meaningless.  Being a Dateline addict, I had thought the husband probably did it when I first read about it (sorry Pastor.) Somehow this seems worse to me because there was absolutely no motive, no affairs, no insurance money just two young, stupid guys and  now a whole bunch of lives are ruined and a sweet, young woman is gone.

• Love 4

Rev. Davey is down in the Carolinas now, visiting Amanda's father.  Since that's all been in the news, I suppose everyone knows this.  Davey had an interview that was posted online, and he was amazingly composed, I thought.  Her father was sitting next to Davey while the cameras rolled.  He said nothing except for one short sentence at the end.  Whereas you could tell that Davey was fighting to work on forgiveness, I had the feeling that her father wasn't so forgiving at this point.  Her dad, also a minister, gave me the impression that he wanted to say more, but he glanced at Davey for a moment, and I got the feeling that he didn't want to say anything that would hurt Davey's struggle to be forgiving.  In other words, I think the father had some bitterness that he kept to himself.  What father (or husband, for that matter) could possibly forgive so soon afterwards?  Those heartless, masochistic boys amaze me -- that they could carry out such violent acts against a helpless woman.  I hope they fry!  I'm sorry for them that they turned out this way, but I still hope they pay dearly for their crimes.

• Love 5

I think it was on 48 Hours that I saw the story of Catherine McHaffey Shelton, but it was just too short. A lawyer in Dallas whose every boyfriend breakup was a disaster, yet she didn't have anything to do with it except to shoot one of them. This woman has a long, twisted history. I would love to see Dateline do it with Keith Morrison and make it a 2 hour show. Go back all the way to the first boyfriend and go into more detail. This woman is evil trash. I'd better be careful or she'll sue me for defamation.

yet she didn't have anything to do with it except to shoot one of them.

This sounds interesting!  I'm a wee bit confused, though, and it's probably just me.  I thought you were going to say that she was a sweet, innocent  woman who never did anything wrong, but then you say she was evil.  I'd like to see this, too.  :)

I just read the article.  While it's strange that there's no gun powder, it said he always left the gun sitting loose on the console, which doesn't sound too safe.  And the only other people in the car were his four children, so it sounds like it had to be an accident of some sort, either the gun went flying or one of his kids was playing with it.

How is it that none of the children were able to provide any details, at ages 9, 8, 6 and 4? Surely they heard the gunshot? I also don't see how a gun that was purportedly sitting on the front seat console could accidentally be discharged at such a significant angle as to strike the driver in the head. The police department also comes off as mighty cagey in that article, too.

Not sure if anyone has seen this in the national media but it is a local case where I live.  There are 6 more trials that are going to happen but the victims' father took a plea deal and the sister was just found guilty of assault and manslaughter.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2015/10/14/the-cult-like-church-whose-members-are-accused-of-fatally-beating-a-teen/

Also this one, another local case:

http://www.projectcoldcase.org/2015/06/21/cold-case-spotlight-kimberly-simon/

And this one, very recent:

http://www.uticaod.com/news/20160630/body-discovered-month-after-homicide-in-holland-patent-2-dogs-also-died

• Love 1

Okay so this bleeds over from my Unsolved Mysteries reruns fetish, but I would like to see Keith (or anyone from Dateline) take a fresh look at the Crystal Spencer case:

http://articles.latimes.com/1992-02-24/news/mn-2042_1_spencer-case

Plenty of creepy stuff for Keith to work with, starting with the fact that the medical examiner's report seems to reference the wrong corpse, working our way to the fact that the FBI had a file on Crystal and her fingerprints were on record with two different LE agencies (why?), moving along to the mysterious job offer in Japan, and maybe ending with the cop's cryptic statement that "bad things happen to bad girls" while maintaining there was nothing to investigate because she died of natural causes (even though her body was so badly decomposed that the cause of death was undetermined). I mean, maybe a healthy young woman did fall dead from the flu with her pants off after making ungodly cries/screams that rattled the neighbors, but...

Keith could wax poetic about small town girls with big Hollywood dreams. You know he loves that stuff.

• Love 2

I was a juror on a 9 month (yes...9 month) murder trial around 1978-ish (yes...I'm old) in NJ where the defendant - referred to at first as Dr. X - was accused of murdering about 15 patients by injecting them with curare.  Dr. Michael Baden - the sleazy well-respected autopsy gun for hire - testified, and a New York Times reporter went to jail for a few weeks for refusing to reveal his sources.

It was really fascinating and I think it would have made a great Dateline or Forensic Files episode. Even a Lifetime movie, since one of the victims was a 6-year old girl.  Maybe because we let him walk.  Or maybe because it was before all these crime shows were even around.

Anyway, as we all know...curare is an awful way to go. 

• Love 4
On July 15, 2016 at 1:56 AM, Albino said:

I was a juror on a 9 month (yes...9 month) murder trial around 1978-ish (yes...I'm old) in NJ where the defendant - referred to at first as Dr. X - was accused of murdering about 15 patients by injecting them with curare.  Dr. Michael Baden - the sleazy well-respected autopsy gun for hire - testified, and a New York Times reporter went to jail for a few weeks for refusing to reveal his sources.

It was really fascinating and I think it would have made a great Dateline or Forensic Files episode. Even a Lifetime movie, since one of the victims was a 6-year old girl.  Maybe because we let him walk.  Or maybe because it was before all these crime shows were even around.

Anyway, as we all know...curare is an awful way to go. 

What made you find him NG?

• Love 2
(edited)

Just not enough evidence, ButterQueen.  I was probably the only juror who thought he possibly could have done it.

He was chief of surgery at a small hospital, and the other surgeons decided that someone must be murdering these patients - it couldn't possibly be their fault. They actually broke into his locker and found curare, which he claimed to be using on dying dogs.  

All the bodies were exhumed and tested for curare (very complicated...half-life and stuff like that...way over my head lol) and they found a very small amount in some of the bodies.  But one had way too much...could not have that much present after being buried for 15 years.

Overall, just not enough proof to convict. 

Edited by Albino
  • Love 4

Has Dateline ever covered the Keddie (Cabin 28) murders?  It's a very cold case (1981), but they have recently reopened it and found some new evidence (possibly one of the murder weapons).  The two main suspects are dead, but there were undoubtably some accessories after the fact.  The case could have been solved at the time but the local sheriff's department bungled it to such an extent that it was widely thought that some of the officers were involved in the cover-up.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, shoovenbooty said:

http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-me-framed/#chapter1

I'd be interested to see this covered on Dateline. Not a murder case, but it shows you just how far some people can take even the smallest slight. Wow.

I was going to post this too. There's a clip of the wife on Dr. Phil and she's a nutjob. Reminds me of Amy from the Amy's Baking Company episode of Kitchen Nightmares. Extreme Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

It's a great article. Everyone should read it.

• Love 2
On 8/25/2016 at 11:29 AM, pigs-in-space said:

This buzzfeed article was really great, but I'd love to see Keith Morrison do a show on this one!

I remember when this first happened. I was a member of a true crime board, and I knew that the daughter did it....only I'm not condemning Gyspy, she was a victim. She tried to get away, and she failed. I'm not saying that she should've had her Mom killed, but I sympathize. 

Both of the last two cases linked with articles were covered by Crime Watch Daily. The YouTube Channel has several clips online, but I don't think it is everything. For example, under the spoiler tab I put a ten-minute clip of the PTA case that is posted on CWD's YouTube channel, but it seems that the entire hour was spent on the case when I saw it on television. It's under the spoiler tab just to help keep the page loading quickly. 

I really felt for Gypsy, and could understand why she thought that murdering her mother was her only way out. Her plea, which is also linked below, gave her ten years, which I think is fair. 

Spoiler

I'd love to see them do an episode on the murder of Liberty German and Abigail Williams in Delphi, Indiana, a few weeks ago. Two young teens were out playing around on some local trails. Between their drop off time of around 1 and their pickup time of around 3:30 they were abducted and murdered. Their bodies were found the next day near the trails. Here's the interesting part! Video of the suspect was taken by Liberty as well as audio of possibly the whole crime. Law Enforcement were pretty shook up in the press conferences. While nobody has been caught, I'd love to see Dateline cover it. In 2012 there was a remarkably similar crime involving Lyric Cook and Elizabeth Collins in Iowa they could work in. Law Enforcement sees no connection currently, but the similarities are fascinating. 

• Love 4

The media needs to start focusing on all of the young men who go missing and end up drowned in the harbor or the Charles river. Far too many of them. And its hard to fall into the rivet or the harbor from the locations that the men disappeared from. The victims all have a similar physical type also.  

• Love 3
3 hours ago, spankydoll said:

The media needs to start focusing on all of the young men who go missing and end up drowned in the harbor or the Charles river. Far too many of them. And its hard to fall into the rivet or the harbor from the locations that the men disappeared from. The victims all have a similar physical type also.  

That's true. There are so many missing and their cases need attention. IDK why they need to rehash the same stories (the various crime shows)  over and over when there are so many others out there that have not been covered.

• Love 3
(edited)

I don't want them to do shows about missing people because I like shows with answers.  I always hated Disappeared because there were no answers.  

Edited by partofme
  • Love 1