Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E13: Movie Magic - Part 1

The only ones that looked remotely professional were Nora's. Ben's looked like a stereotypical alien and mummy and didn't seem like finished work. Evan's were just horrible. They wouldn't even pass muster at a Halloween spook house.

• Love 8

Evan's look like some of his previous work, so it's very redundant. I really wish that Scott was a finalist instead of Evan. I also think Evan's helpers are weaker, but that's on him as he chose his friend over a stronger assistant. I do like that they get to make adjustments after a screen test. Very interesting concept for the finale.

• Love 6

I can't decide whether it's kind of sad or entirely adorable that Ben's loved one was his dog. His tearful elation upon seeing him tips the balance toward adorable.

• Love 16

We in our household just love this new idea for the finale.  Very cool, especially that they get to see what their work looks like first and can make corrections.  I also love that they are getting some extra guidance from the director, as that makes it a very realistic challenge.  Last week we disagreed with the judges' decision to go with Evan for the third finalist instead of Scott, and I think this week shows that was wrong.  Of the three finalists, Evan's work was by far the worst.  We love Nora, so we're hoping for a win for her.  She hasn't always blown us away, but she hasn't done anything that we thought was really awful either.  And several times she was just safe when we would have put her in top looks.  Ben's make-up was well done but less original (not sure if that's it exactly). 

It will be interesting to see what happens with this third character they'll need to create now.  Should have known Face Off wouldn't leave it at that.  :)

• Love 2

I don't know, because I've never worked with the stuff, how resilient those pieces are.  Taking them on and off seems tricky since some of them looked like they might tear just by wearing them, and I wonder how resilient the paint jobs are too (yes, I know the paints are made for this purpose but that didn't keep me from wondering).  Interesting how much goes into all this....love seeing the process, and I'm definitely looking forward to next week.

We wondered the same thing in our household.  Will those pieces stand up to being taken off and put back on again?  For some reason I was under the impression that movies and tv shows made multiple sets, but I couldn't begin to tell you where I got that idea.  <lol>  Here's hoping nothing gets ripped.

I wonder if how much they adapt their make-up after the director's critiques will play into the judge's final decision.  If so, Nora will have a harder time than Evan since he was given so many notes on changes he should make.  There wasn't much to improve upon for Nora.  I really do hope that isn't a deciding factor in the decision-making.  

I'm really hoping for Ben, especially after seeing his adorable dog, but it would be sad if Nora lost because her first make-up was just too strong and didn't change.  

I'm totally on team Ben because Quincy. That was all kinds of adorkable.

I wouldn't be upset with any of them for the win, but Nora has been slightly bothering me the past couple weeks, so I would prefer Ben, because, well, Quincy.

I don't know.... it sort of seems like they're wanting us to THINK Nora will be the winner, but they're setting up Evan as the eventual winner because his critiques were so bad. Just seems like the sort of red herring with which these shows like to hit us over the head.

Once again, though, I won't be unhappy with any of them as the winner. Ben kind of has the dream team, though, and they have had female winners the past couple seasons so...

• Love 5

Real film productions go to great lengths to ensure the continuity of makeups as the shoot goes on. That's generally one person's job, and you'll see it in the credits. They also produce many copies of hands and ears and faces, etc., for just this purpose. Actors on heavy effects movies have to endure it being applied every day, and there are many backups made just in case something gets damaged over the course of a day and has to be replaced. Not sure if they have time in this particular instance to create multiple copies of their makeups but that's usually how it's done.

I also really like this finale. The challenges they did in previous seasons were also examples of how effects and makeups can be used commercially, but it's kind of amazing that it took so long to hit on this format, especially given the film emphasis in general on this show.

Does anyone know if Patrick and Mackenzie got married yet?

• Love 1

I can't decide whether it's kind of sad or entirely adorable that Ben's loved one was his dog. His tearful elation upon seeing him tips the balance toward adorable.

That and the fact that he called himself 'such a dork' for loving his dog.

Evan's look like some of his previous work, so it's very redundant. I really wish that Scott was a finalist instead of Evan. I also think Evan's helpers are weaker, but that's on him as he chose his friend over a stronger assistant. I do like that they get to make adjustments after a screen test. Very interesting concept for the finale.

I'm fearful that they're giving Evan the 'winner' edit as in I have to overcome so much and look, I managed to win.

I hope that's not the case .... I think Ben and Nora had better looks (even if Ben's was typical alien fare) and have been the more consistent contestants all season.  I'd like to see one of them win.

I wouldn't be upset with any of them for the win, but Nora has been slightly bothering me the past couple weeks, so I would prefer Ben, because, well, Quincy.

I don't know.... it sort of seems like they're wanting us to THINK Nora will be the winner, but they're setting up Evan as the eventual winner because his critiques were so bad. Just seems like the sort of red herring with which these shows like to hit us over the head.

Once again, though, I won't be unhappy with any of them as the winner. Ben kind of has the dream team, though, and they have had female winners the past couple seasons so...

That's my fear.

• Love 5

No one who watches Project Runway was surprised by the addition of a third design requirement in the middle of the finale challenge. :)

Finalists (I'm looking mostly at you Evan) should not be whining at this point. You wanted to make it there, you fought to get there, you made it over others who were also eager and ambitious for the win. Whining because you are tired or because the challenge is haarrrd is not a good look for you now.  For that alone, I hope Evan doesn't win. Well, that and the fact that there was no cohesion whatsoever between his rescuer and his prisoner. And I thought Patrick told him quite clearly (and more than once) that the rescuer was not supposed to show signs of the virus until she put down her  binoculars. To me, that meant that the first signs of the virus should have been confined to the area right around her eyes, but Evan seemed to have put the "veining" further down on her face.

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 3

I wonder if the plan all along was to give the final three 2 additional days? Never before have the final three been given more than 4 days yet these folks get not only 2 additional days, they also get a "screen test" with tons of helpful critique upon which to base changes they make in the additional 2 days. Was this the original plan OR was this batch of contestants so weak the producers came up with this in order to have a more compelling finale?

Ugh, so Evan not only made it into the finale but he then picked the most problematic artist of this season to be his helper out of friendship. Dont get me wrong, I think Kevon is an amazing artist but he said it himself, he tends towards a very obscure artistic vision and it showed again on his creature model. I dont think Evan has it in him neither creatively nor managerially to reign in Kevon but worse than that, I dont think Evan has his own artistic vision to replace Kevon's with. Evan is a very sweet man and a talented artist but I still believe Scott would have been a MUCH stronger choice for final three, even Jordan would have been.

Ben, ah man when it was revealed Ben's special friend was his dog, I got all misty eyed (and not just because of the pain killers Im on right now). His goggie looks kind of old so I bet they've been best friends for years and years, I thought that was super sweet. However, Ben's aliens were not great. Look at the alien he created for the challenge Michael Dorn was a guest judge for. See how Ben favors an alien type with sort of dents on each side of the cranium. Boring and redundant as his aliens are, he's probably going to make the most of the extra two days and make them look amazing.

I'm on team Nora all the way. Im thrilled she got so few notes from her screen test, that means her team can really focus on the third character and rock it out. She's a solid, dependable artist but her backup team...well the smart choice would have been Jasmine and Scott but after she got Jasmine when it was time to choose again she was stuck with Meg. Meg can be a good work horse though and she has had moments of really shining during the competition so no problems there. I think (if the show is being honest which Im not so sure this season has been very honest) it's Nora's to lose at this point.

• Love 3

No one's work-in-progress looks have won me over yet. If it was a regular weekly challenge, I would have chosen Nora's.

She has produced good, consistent work for the most part over the season.

I like the idea of the finale challenge. Much more realistic than the circus act or underwater makeup challenge. They do have their place though as many makeup artists can get a gig at a Vegas show or a travelling Cirque de Soleil type show.

The challenge allows the contestants to see what working on a movie set is really like and gives a much better idea of what makeup look is camera-ready. It also allows us to see what the judges really look for. We don't see much of the critiques of the weekly 'looks'. Just a snippet here and there.

Quincy is really adorable.

I don't know if Evan will fix up his work for the 'win'. 

No one is 'special' this year or really stands out and right now, either of the three can take the prize.

• Love 1

My entire family is convinced that Nora's "crisis of confidence" was generated after the PA said to her "Nora, look, you gotta make it look like MAYBE someone else will win, so can you carry on for a while to manufacture some drama? Please?" and Nora was like, "OK, how about I fake some tears and storm off, but I got stuff to do so I really can't carry for very long"

• Love 5

I really love the camera test and I just realized we've been missing this sort of test for years. The previous live action finales were cool and relevant, but designing creatures for camera work is different than designing for live performance.

And see, people - this is where you need beauty makeup skill! You can't just paint the whole eye socket black. That may work in a haunted house but it's going to look like hell on camera. Beauty makeup isn't about turning everyone into Miss America. It's about enhancing the features so that they're still readable to an audience while not looking stupid when the camera gets in close.

Instead, Nora's Tree Demon totally lost the face and eyes behind the big, immobile, brow & nose area. Compare that to Groot, who has big, visible eyes, and highly mobile brows and mouth. Ben also lost a lot of his actors' features in muddy coloring and no eyeliner. Evan's creature mask was embarrassing.

I hope they do more screen test challenges next year. It's an important part of a make-up artist's skill set.

• Love 6

I wonder if the plan all along was to give the final three 2 additional days? Never before have the final three been given more than 4 days yet these folks get not only 2 additional days, they also get a "screen test" with tons of helpful critique upon which to base changes they make in the additional 2 days. Was this the original plan OR was this batch of contestants so weak the producers came up with this in order to have a more compelling finale?

Ugh, so Evan not only made it into the finale but he then picked the most problematic artist of this season to be his helper out of friendship. Dont get me wrong, I think Kevon is an amazing artist but he said it himself, he tends towards a very obscure artistic vision and it showed again on his creature model. I dont think Evan has it in him neither creatively nor managerially to reign in Kevon but worse than that, I dont think Evan has his own artistic vision to replace Kevon's with. Evan is a very sweet man and a talented artist but I still believe Scott would have been a MUCH stronger choice for final three, even Jordan would have been.

Ben, ah man when it was revealed Ben's special friend was his dog, I got all misty eyed (and not just because of the pain killers Im on right now). His goggie looks kind of old so I bet they've been best friends for years and years, I thought that was super sweet. However, Ben's aliens were not great. Look at the alien he created for the challenge Michael Dorn was a guest judge for. See how Ben favors an alien type with sort of dents on each side of the cranium. Boring and redundant as his aliens are, he's probably going to make the most of the extra two days and make them look amazing.

I'm on team Nora all the way. Im thrilled she got so few notes from her screen test, that means her team can really focus on the third character and rock it out. She's a solid, dependable artist but her backup team...well the smart choice would have been Jasmine and Scott but after she got Jasmine when it was time to choose again she was stuck with Meg. Meg can be a good work horse though and she has had moments of really shining during the competition so no problems there. I think (if the show is being honest which Im not so sure this season has been very honest) it's Nora's to lose at this point.

I'm certain this was the plan all along. You can't just pull production crews together in a couple of weeks. Plus, some of the earlier challenges were preparing them for this. The Star Trek challenge had them reworking a look and the final choice was about correcting mistakes and improving the makeup. It at least makes it more understandable why they picked the guy who did the best in reworking his flaw, although I still think Scott was robbed. I'm hoping for another "return season" where the losers get another chance.

I've liked Nora since day one, partly because on day one I could pick her out of the crowd. I knew who Missy was too, but her work didn't catch me. I do think that Nora's youth is really working to her benefit here. Both Ben and Evan have talked about how tired they are. Being young Nora has more energy and reserves to cope with what sounds like "killer fatigue".

• Love 1

And I thought Patrick told him quite clearly (and more than once) that the rescuer was not supposed to show signs of the virus until she put down her  binoculars. To me, that meant that the first signs of the virus should have been confined to the area right around her eyes, but Evan seemed to have put the "veining" further down on her face.

Agreed and agreed.  Evan seems to have managed the Schrodingerian *feat of having her disease make up spread too far down her face and also make her look "too normal".  I thought this was a golden opportunity to do something really interesting with the gorgeous contact lenses they have at their disposal.  Missed! Tell me again why Evan got in over Scott? 

* And yes, I know that isn't a word.  But it should be.

• Love 5

Agree that this is a wonderful choice for a finale challenge, and one of the things I like best is hearing from the director some of the shooting conditions the artists will need to consider ("high contrast" "blue and ocher lighting", etc.). I'll be fascinated to see what alterations each one does, and what the third character is like.

I do think that Nora's youth is really working to her benefit here. Both Ben and Evan have talked about how tired they are. Being young Nora has more energy and reserves to cope with what sounds like "killer fatigue".

I might be wrong and I don't have the energy to look it up right now (killer work fatigue!), but isn't Nora 26 and Evan 29? That's hardly enough of an age difference to make youth a factor in favor of Nora.  I think it's more that Nora has more talent and creativity than Evan in general, but she also got lost in the middle of her facial sculpt and has done a bit of whining.  Still, anyone but Evan for the win!

• Love 1

Not too impressed by Nora's quasi-Groot, and really disliking her Prey character (which almost looks more predatory than the hunter) ; pretty indifferent to Ben's aliens ; and Evan's creations were... hmm... to be kind, let's say pretty underwhelming.

Again, I find myself not particularly captivated by this season's finals (although the concept of said finals is a good one).

• Love 3

Does anyone know if Patrick and Mackenzie got married yet?

I saw a recent article that, if memory serves, said they got married last month but that this was filmed before their wedding.

My entire family is convinced that Nora's "crisis of confidence" was generated after the PA said to her "Nora, look, you gotta make it look like MAYBE someone else will win, so can you carry on for a while to manufacture some drama? Please?" and Nora was like, "OK, how about I fake some tears and storm off, but I got stuff to do so I really can't carry for very long"

So much this!!  That's one of the things we love most about Nora - so very little drama.  Things get wonky, and she just rolls up her sleeves and gets back to work.  Even her "I'm not lovin' this sculpt" was so mild compared to the tears and whining and complaining and moaning and groaning we get from some of the others.  And she handled the very wisely for her age - she turned it over to someone else and walked away to clear her head.  I know a lot of people who could benefit from her example.

• Love 1

I am fine with any of the 3 winning (or even having Scott come back and win), but I am rooting for Nora because she has been the most consistently good.  

I don't think that Even is getting the "underdog comes back to win edit" or that Nora is getting the "We want you to think she wins but she doesn't" edit.  This show does a crappy job of being a typical reality competition show, which is one of the reasons it is my favorite.  The contestants get along and support each other, there is no drama, none of the judges are the mean judge, and, if you listen to the judges comments, it is usually pretty obvious who wins and who goes home.  They just aren't good at the mind games and drama-creating-crap that other shows do, so I don't think that there is any hidden meaning behind the editing.  About the only thing that this show does that is typical of its genre, is the "and the winner is..." cut to commercial - but, like I mentioned, the winner is usually obvious if you have listened up to that point, so they don't even get the "suspenseful winner announcement" correct.  

• Love 4

I wonder if how much they adapt their make-up after the director's critiques will play into the judge's final decision.  If so, Nora will have a harder time than Evan since he was given so many notes on changes he should make.  There wasn't much to improve upon for Nora.  I really do hope that isn't a deciding factor in the decision-making. 

I don't think it will be a factor in the finale because the judges who will make the final decision were not there for this camera test. They'll never have seen anything except the final version.

Plus the teams all have to create a third character now that they'll be judged on too, and that third character won't have had the camera test. This addition really makes Nora the heavy favorite to win because she showed this week that she puts out the highest-quality initial work of the three competitors. Even if Evan fixes everything with his first two creations, he'll still have to put out a third creation without benefit of all that feedback he got here. (Even if Mr. Westmore stops by, which he probably will, there's still a big difference between having him review sketches and sculpts-in-progress versus a camera test.) Judging from this week and last week, that's not likely to go well. Ben is a dark horse and he has the benefit of having Scott on his team, but what he's put out so far is just kinda dull, so unless he really kicks it in gear with the third character he should still be behind Nora.

• Love 1

Count me among those who love this concept for a final challenge - this is probably way closer to what their actual jobs would be like if they get work in TV/Film than the usual "Three characters and they have to dance around!" type assignment they usually get. 

I can't bag on Ben for his special friend being his dog. If I were isolated on a reality/competition show and got a call from home, I would be thrilled if it was my dog calling. 

I'm on Team Nora here, though. She's been very solid and consistent, and honestly, she's set up the best to finish well. The other two have to spend a lot of time fixing their first two characters while creating their third, and she just has minor tweaking to do on the first two. The only way she doesn't win is if one of the guys pulls off a miracle makeover on their original characters and/or Nora totally biffs it on her third character. 

I did love how excited Nora's model was for her. I love it when the models get involved.

• Love 2

One of my favorite things about Jim Henson's Creature Shop Challenge was that every creation was screen tested, so I like that the Face Off finale is having the contestants show their makeup on camera. I also love that they got to do an initial screen test so they could get feedback and make adjustments.

I like that Patrick was very specific with his feedback. I also liked that the contestants got to see their makeup on the screen so they could see exactly what he was talking about.

Hate the Project Runway twist of having one more makeup thrown at them though.

• Love 3

I think this is a great idea for the final challenge. I also loved Quincy. How adorable is that.

What gets me about almost all of the make-ups (not just this challenge but always) is the eyes. It is so obvious that it is a mask because of the eye gaps. There is a big edge and then the eye. I would hope that the face-testants could blend them in better so that we don't see the edge and then the eye.

Good luck to all.

• Love 2

I think this is a great idea for the final challenge. I also loved Quincy. How adorable is that.

What gets me about almost all of the make-ups (not just this challenge but always) is the eyes. It is so obvious that it is a mask because of the eye gaps. There is a big edge and then the eye. I would hope that the face-testants could blend them in better so that we don't see the edge and then the eye.

Good luck to all.

Yes! I think it was Evan's monster/victim that was especially bad in that respect. There was a solid half inch of skin visible around the eye.

• Love 1

The teeth on Evan's male reminded me of the teeth Michael Westmore often put on Ferengi on Deep Space Nine. Not Quark or Nog, but Rom and the others would often have one sharp crooked tooth jutting out like that.

I would prefer to be looking at Scott's ideas rather than Evan's, but whatever.

• Love 1

Totally losing interest in the show.

Ben - shouldn't even be there. He was realy great at times but he was saved by the judges not once but twice at the expense of other contestants. Also selling your image on t-shirts, mouse pads, shower curains etc. is kind of douchy.

Evan - not the strongest, don't really feel him at all.

Nora - I like Nora. :)

Scott really should have been there and I'm not trusting the judging this season at all. Giving the whole thing a side-eye.

• Love 1