Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: Fire!

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

I don't get why he thinks that he will win out if it's a choice between him of Kate staying.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that he's (partially) the victim of reality show producer hijinx.  I have little doubt they're  laughing uproariously at his snide talking head comments, and whispering in his ear constantly that viewers can't WAIT to see Kate taken down, especially by somebody who's just so goddamned AWESOME as he is.  I can easily see them saying "Wow, Leon, more of THAT please!" after some particularly hostile rant.  

Of course this works best on people who are already self absorbed douches.

I don't get why it's so bad for a male chef to yell at a woman if he yells at men too.

I think it was that he seemed to be reveling in making girls cry.  Not “I’m a chef, I yell at staff, if they can’t handle it, they don’t belong in a professional kitchen” but “yeah, you should see me make my female employees cry!”

• Love 6

Kate takes her troubles to Captain Lee: http://www.bravotv.com/below-deck/season-3/episode-309/videos?clip=2923870

Does anyone know the specifics of the 'plane ticket' home?

Is it from Grand Abaco to the employee's domestic home?  eg. somewhere in Australia for Leon?

Is it severance, paid for by the yacht owners?

When Lee handed Dane his 'plane ticket' it almost appeared it was written like in the old days, how does Lee get this on his boat the next day?

Thinking the 'plane tickets' are as bogus as the tips.

If an employee really could get a complimentary flight to permanent home for getting fired, but had to buy their own ticket to get home from Abaco after not getting fired, getting fired may be worth a lot of money

Edited by Liberty

I don't know the workings of this show, but many countries have a rule that people entering the country have either proof of the finances necessary to leave or an actual ticket out. Boats have to agree to provide tickets out for their crew, should their crew "elect" not to continue the voyage. The nations don't want deadbeats "stuck" in their country unable to leave.

• Love 5

This won the internet for me today.

Re: the yelling at girls being so bad -- it's because he specifically said he yelled at girls in his kitchen and made them cry and seemed proud of it.  He didn't say he yelled at everybody, he made sure the world knew he yelled at "girls."  I also think, the females working in his kitchen were probably women, not girls, and calling them girls is yet another way to undermine them.

I totally agree about Captain Lee needing to step it up in real life and not just talk a big game in his blog after the fact.

Leon's choice to refer to the ladies as "girls" also stuck out to me, but I wondered if that may be a cultural thing.

I also think that what he fails to remember is that the galley is not "his". He is working as an employee. He is not Captain Lee's equal, but I think it's inconceivable for him to accept that Kate is at least in the hierarchy of the yacht.

I think Eddie is going to decide he wants to work things out with his girlfriend; thus the hysterics exhibited by Rocky in the previews.

• Love 3

Is it from Grand Abaco to the employee's domestic home?  eg. somewhere in Australia for Leon?

Is it severance, paid for by the yacht owners?

I'm pretty sure the flight home just means they return to port. In this case, that's probably Fort Lauderdale.

• Love 2

I'm pretty sure the flight home just means they return to port. In this case, that's probably Fort Lauderdale.

Probably too, even for Leon. He has a visa to work in the US, so FL is probably as far as they'll fly him.

I watched the "fire" clip again. Kate set the oven for 375. While buttering a guests banana Rocky smells smoke and bitches to Eddie blaming Kate for the popcorn. While Eddie is mouthing off on Kate protecting his on board piece of convenient ass, Rocky checks the oven opening and closing it. She does it again to take out the pizza leaving it open. She then opens and closes it a couple times more fanning the fire. The fire is not coming from oil coated pans but from the floor of an obviously dirty oven. Kate at least turns the oven off but they both leave the galley with oven door open.

Little Miss. Culinary School screwed up again and blamed a dirty oven fire on Kate. Damn Kate for not scrubbing the oven. I didn't know Kate was also the scullery maid.

Rocky is a breathing disaster.

Edited by Giselle
  • Love 15

Rocky mentioned attending culinary school but I'm honestly not sure if she mentioned ever actually graduating. Knowing her, she was probably there for 1 day and once she wasn't treated like the special snowflake in the room for making a bowl of cereal, she quit and now goes around saying she attended culinary school.

• Love 4

I think both Kate and Rocky are to blame for the fire. In all of the years I've made microwave popcorn or oven pizza, I've never had an issue with smoke and/or fire. That oven was disgusting though...fire hazard in the making. I think that microwave popcorn is such a straight forward thing to make that I can understand though why they weren't watching it closely. However, having worked for two companies that banned microwave popcorn due to the fire hazard, I know that what happened on that boat happens more often than one would think.

And wtf at both Kate and Rocky appearing confused about where the fire extinguishers are located. I have two in my kitchen within arm's reach and several throughout my house just in case.

I did not understand that, either...you would think that the stewardesses would be instructed on where the extinguishers are located....also, don't you think that they would have mandatory fire/safety drills for the crew?  

I also wondered about Rocky complaining about her eyes when she opened the oven.  Does she wear contacts?  My son is a volunteer firefighter, and he said that contacts are a no-no for firefighters, because the lenses can melt to your eye.  (I never knew that....)  At the very least, I would imagine that the smoke coming from Leon's filthy oven would irritate someone wearing contacts.

Oh and I still really, really dislike Leon - he is still showing what a pompous ass he is!!  

That is true.  You may detest someone, but at the end of the day, they are all working for the same thing, a large tip.

But why is Eddie hooking up with Rocky again and again and again?

Because, as he said..."she has a great ass"....

I lost a little of my Eddie love last night when he said that - he sounded no different than any other horny fratboy looking for a hook-up.  (Okay, maybe that's what it is, but he didn't have to say that.)  I had hoped for more from him.

• Love 3

I watched the "fire" clip again. Kate set the oven for 375. While buttering a guests banana Rocky smells smoke and bitches to Eddie blaming Kate for the popcorn. While Eddie is mouthing off on Kate protecting his on board piece of convenient ass, Rocky checks the oven opening and closing it. She does it again to take out the pizza leaving it open. She then opens and closes it a couple times more fanning the fire. The fire is not coming from oil coated pans but from the floor of an obviously dirty oven. Kate at least turns the oven off but they both leave the galley with oven door open.

Little Miss. Culinary School screwed up again and blamed a dirty oven fire on Kate. Damn Kate for not scrubbing the oven. I didn't know Kate was also the scullery maid.

Rocky is a breathing disaster.

I watched it again, too...it appeared to me that the oven was smoking some when Rocky removed the pizza (and, btw - I think it was a frozen, already prepared, pizza). I'd have to watch again, but it seems like the flames started AFTER the pizza was removed - and then, Rocky opened the door again, and then again. Stupid twit never should have opened the door again without a fire extinguisher at hand.

It appeared to me like the flames were coming from the floor of the oven, as you said...NOT from the pizza on a baking sheet.  That oven looked scrungy, like it hadn't been cleaned in a while.  

While Kate was the last one to use the oven, I'm thinking that there may have been some grease or something on the floor of it - maybe something spilled from Leon's beef cheeks??  

There's a preview scene from next week on the Bravo website, and Captain Lee is shown swiping his hand on one of the galley counters, and he doesn't look too thrilled.  For all of the cleaning Leon seems to do when blasting Kate with his vitriol, it seems like he's not exactly adept at actually cleaning!!  

• Love 4

I am probably misremembering, but I thought Eddie was scolding Rocky about the popcorn. He said something like 'If you do not hear popping for a few seconds take it out of the microwave'. I thought he was speaking to Rocky, not Kate, but I was not watching too closely at that point so I am probably wrong.

• Love 1

I am probably misremembering, but I thought Eddie was scolding Rocky about the popcorn. He said something like 'If you do not hear popping for a few seconds take it out of the microwave'. I thought he was speaking to Rocky, not Kate, but I was not watching too closely at that point so I am probably wrong.

I think he was talking about Kate. Instead of saying it to her face he was just strutting down the hall bitching with little rocky trotting behind. It was very unprofessional of Eddie to continue to bitch about it in front of the guests.

• Love 6

I've never been fully on the Eddie love train, but he's really come off as lazy, gossipy, and an overall jackass this season. And while Emile is a tool, Eddie knew Emile had a fixation on Rocky and went and screwed around with her anyways.....great example he's made right there.

In a preview, Captain Lee is shown giving someone a plane ticket and tells them something along the lines of "get the f--- off the boat". I can't see him saying that to Eddie or a woman. He seems to have the closest personal relationship with Eddie. I can only think Leon.

Edited by AttackTurtle
  • Love 6

I thought he was scolding Rocky, too.

Neither Rocky nor Kate are blameless in this situation. They both handled the situation poorly because they were panicking. I don't blame them for panicking, it is what it is, but it was still a bad look for everyone involved.

• Love 2

From Cap'n Lee's blog, re: Kate:

I really can't stand Leon at this point, but I'd watch the heck out of a PBS cooking show called "The Disenchanted Chef." Beef cheeks and smears and boxed desserts!

To funny along with, "Sometimes you just want a cheese and dough delivery system!"
  • Love 5

I watched it again, too...it appeared to me that the oven was smoking some when Rocky removed the pizza (and, btw - I think it was a frozen, already prepared, pizza). I'd have to watch again, but it seems like the flames started AFTER the pizza was removed - and then, Rocky opened the door again, and then again. Stupid twit never should have opened the door again without a fire extinguisher at hand.

It appeared to me like the flames were coming from the floor of the oven, as you said...NOT from the pizza on a baking sheet.  That oven looked scrungy, like it hadn't been cleaned in a while.  

While Kate was the last one to use the oven, I'm thinking that there may have been some grease or something on the floor of it - maybe something spilled from Leon's beef cheeks??  

There's a preview scene from next week on the Bravo website, and Captain Lee is shown swiping his hand on one of the galley counters, and he doesn't look too thrilled.  For all of the cleaning Leon seems to do when blasting Kate with his vitriol, it seems like he's not exactly adept at actually cleaning!!  

Thanks njbchlover for clarifying  the fact that the oven was at first just smoking. All the culinary idiot had to do was turn off the damn oven and not keep opening the door. The fire didn't start till the oven was open and closed several times. Oxygen got sucked in each time they opened the door and fed the flame.

From what Rocky has shown us in the galley I am very dubious of her cooking skill set and her ability to apply it. Bravo has posted a blurb about her culinary schooling and where she has worked.  They don't say how long she worked there before she was fired.

Just keep her in the laundry room, she seems to do her best work there....just ask Eddie.

• Love 5

rocky is unstable.  makes sense now why she hasn't had a relationship in years....regardless of how she tells us it's her choice, it clearly is not.  this lunatic is unstable.  that conversation with amy?  wtf was that?  is she on bipolar meds or something?  if she is, given that she doesn't really listen to anyone, it's very likely she is not taking them as "directed" either.

and eddie, ewww.....you knew with your imitation of rocky about her cooking that she is crazy and yet you still kept on pounding that looney toons.  and way to break it up on the boat so you can hook up with the mental institution....then i'm sure you'd be getting back with the gf again.  makes sense now why he allowed the cameras to intrude into his phone conversations...to clearly show that he broke up during this hook up (typical guy move justifying he didn't cheat).

makes sense now when amy was on watch what happens live, she told andy that she doesn't have any more flames for eddie, lol.  that's just gross after eddie has touched the toxic lunatic barrel.

Edited by lovebug1975
  • Love 3

Nah if Eddie were scolding Rocky we would be treated to a sobbing, blubbering crazy-eyed mess in a puddle on the floor of the main salon in front of the guests as she sought validation from banana butter man.

Rocky is just this side from donning a nice white "I Love Me" jacket.

Edited by Giselle
  • Love 6

Hey, does anyone know how many episodes there are this season?

Season 2 had 13. The last on-the-boat episode was episode 11, then two wrap-up episodes.

If season 3 is the same, then we have two on-the-boat episodes left, which would finish the current charter and allow time for one -- MAYBE two -- more and then end-of-season melodrama. That would explain why the captain hasn't fired Leon yet. He wouldn't be able to hire a replacement with immediate turnaround for such a shot time period.

I'm looking forward to Ben's arrival. Leon is unbearable. Wonder what Ben charged them to step in and save the day?

• Love 1

Kate was stupid for bitching to the Captain about the box. She should have bided her time and let Leon hang himself further, or come to the captain earlier about him disregarding the guests requests. That would have gotten the Captains attention I would hope..

Eddie is acting like a know it all ass this season. He has no room to speak when he's bonking the resident loon and his crew was such a mess earlier because he was a mess. 

Connie learn all you can, take note of but disregard the crap, you would make a good first mate if you were inclined.

• Love 3

Kate was stupid for bitching to the Captain about the box. She should have bided her time and let Leon hang himself further, or come to the captain earlier about him disregarding the guests requests. That would have gotten the Captains attention I would hope..

Eddie is acting like a know it all ass this season. He has no room to speak when he's bonking the resident loon and his crew was such a mess earlier because he was a mess.

Connie learn all you can, take note of but disregard the crap, you would make a good first mate if you were inclined.

I agree, I'm not sure why the box was the issue that sent her running to the captain, she had lots of other valid reasons, I can understand her not running to the captain every single time and I respect that, but of all the reasons it was the box. I guess there is a chance she could have brought it up to the captain and it cut, or was not filmed, but it seems like the captain was not aware of it (albeit happening right in his face).

I've accidentally heated a clean empty pan in my oven before and it totally did not catch on fire.  That oven couldn't have been running that hot or for that long -- the pizza looked fine.  I suspect something else, like the oven being a fucking mess caused the fire.  i hope next week when Leon tries to blame it on Kate that Captain Lee points out that maybe if he was awake and doing his fucking job other people wouldn't need to be cooking.

True confession time: I have not scrubbed out the floor of my oven with oven cleaner in the past eight years. Yet, despite cooking fish, pizzas, and lasagnas at 400°-425° fairly regularly I've never had an oven fire. Someone had to have left something flammable in the oven that fell/dripped onto the heating coils and caught.

My suspicion is that next week Capt. Lee will call in Ben to help mediate or give Leon some tips. I don't think he'll be fired and replaced.

Oh, that would be even better than him getting pink slipped. Watching Leon work with Ben looking over his shoulder and lecturing him on Yacht Cooking 101 would be AWESOME!

I still can't stand Kate.  When Leon said he worked on the QM2, instead of getting on her high horse and calling it a cruist ship, she should have told Leon, "look dude, when you work on a big ship, you don't have to necessarily cater to your guests; they eat what's on the menu, case closed.  When you work on a yacht, you're like a private chef for the guests, hence, you got to do give them what they want, period.  

While I agree Kate shouldn't have been automatically dismissive of the QM2, Leon is not a rookie stew under her supervision like Rocky. It's her job to convey the guests' requests and schedules to him, not to explain to him what his job entails and how to do it properly.

• Love 7

Giselle

Yest. 7:47 pm

Taking a page from Leon's book titled "Slack Assery" I'm resubmitting my post from last episode again.... with vindication.

The asshole is a misogynist!

Yep, no question.  Not only did he say that he made girls cry, but he said it with relish and obvious glee. This loser is a real piece of work. God forbid a woman should voice her opinion. Kate is smart and strong...no wonder he doesn't like her. He'd rather have his female coworkers be fawning and dumb.

• Love 5

OMG I just choked on my coffee!

Leon is a douchebag & I think in real life Captain Lee would have already fired his lazy beef cheeks.  But alas this is reality tv, so of course the Kate/Leon conflict will carry through the season

Probably too, even for Leon. He has a visa to work in the US, so FL is probably as far as they'll fly him.

Yes and on top of that maybe Leon had to produce an open-ended round-trip (prepaid ticket) originating from FL flying back to his home country before he was even allowed to work on the yacht.  Countries don't want foreigners roaming around with no financial means to get back home.  Especially after 9/11.  I can't imagine in this day and age that foreign workers aren't required to show proof that they can get themselves back home.

I worked over seas for many years and I wasn't even allowed to work until I could prove that, in the event my employer fired me or I quit, that I had the financial means to get myself back to the US.  I had to purchase a round-trip ticket beforehand.  I had an open-ended ticket that was good for one-year. I bought it upfront and my employer reimbursed me when I landed on foreign soil.  Don't know how they do things now days but that was what I had to do.

Immigration wouldn't even allow me to step into their country unless I produced that plane ticket.  No ticket, no entry into their country.

Edited by beesknees
  • Love 3

People, people.... we are losing sight of the real issue here. HOW can a 50 year old rich guy "never have a birthday cake in his life" and does Sous Chef Betty Crocker make a white chocolate cake mix so that their White Party of Foam can remain pure? And does covering beef cheeks with cauliflower puree qualify them for the White Party menu? or will Leon use refrigerated biscuit dough to make Beef Cheeks Wellington (a la Hells Kitchen-Gordon-Ramsey-under-whom-Leon-staged)?

• Love 7

Yep, no question.  Not only did he say that he made girls cry, but he said it with relish and obvious glee. This loser is a real piece of work. God forbid a woman should voice her opinion. Kate is smart and strong...no wonder he doesn't like her. He'd rather have his female coworkers be fawning and dumb.

Maybe the fact that he "made his girls cry" is one of the reasons his restaurants failed.  I mean, wouldn't he sort of get a reputation as an asshole boss, and people would either quit on the spot, or not want to work with/for him?  

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 2

Eddie is an asshat.

Winner, winner beef cheeks dinner! 

Rocky is a piece of work but I don't think she deserves the vitriol she's getting on blogs and forums for hooking up with Eddie.  "How could he?"  "What was he thinking?"  "Step away from the crazy, Eddie."  "Eddie's too good for her."

Imo, he's worse than she is.  At least she's single.  I don't think he's a terrible human being but he's kind of dumb and very immature.  Rocky says she wants a man -  Honey, Eddie ain't it.

• Love 7

Maybe the fact that he "made his girls" cry is one of the reasons his restaurants failed.  I mean, wouldn't he sort of get a reputation as an asshole boss, and people would either quit on the spot, or not want to work with/for him?  

They say Karma is a bitch. He has two daughters. While it would be absolutely awful that his girls would have to work under someone like their father. I wouldn't wish that upon any woman or man. I'd be perfectly fine with him being upset and angry and unable to do anything at the way his girls were being treated by their horrid, misogynistic boss who relished making them cry and made their jobs a living hell.  But then Leon would be incapable of seeing the similarities to his behavior because he is never wrong.

• Love 2

...or will Leon use refrigerated biscuit dough to make Beef Cheeks Wellington (a la Hells Kitchen-Gordon-Ramsey-under-whom-Leon-staged)?

Hey, don't knock it until you've tried it. Chef Donny Cummings at Le Stick Nouveau has a signature dish that's a deconstructed Beef Wellington with a loop of baked biscuit dough instead of a pastry shell, and the one I ate this spring was easily the best meal I've had in years. The right chef can work magic with basic ingredients.

B9318513487Z.1_20150820152936_000_GDNBM0

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 2

People, people.... we are losing sight of the real issue here. HOW can a 50 year old rich guy "never have a birthday cake in his life" 

Maybe he was a Jehovah’s Witness up until this birthday and as far as I know Jehovah’s Witnesses do not celebrate birthdays- just a guess.

Hey, don't knock it until you've tried it. Chef Donny Cummings at Le Stick Nouveau has a signature dish that's a deconstructed Beef Wellington with a loop of baked biscuit dough instead of a pastry shell, and the one I ate this spring was easily the best meal I've had in years. The right chef can work magic with basic ingredients.

B9318513487Z.1_20150820152936_000_GDNBM0

I read that article.  I doubt that biscuit dough is from a can.  I still wouldn't eat it if so, because all biscuit dough from a can has that "biscuit dough from a can" flavor.

• Love 2

Rocky mentioned attending culinary school but I'm honestly not sure if she mentioned ever actually graduating. Knowing her, she was probably there for 1 day and once she wasn't treated like the special snowflake in the room for making a bowl of cereal, she quit and now goes around saying she attended culinary school.

On which day of culinary school do they teach you not to stick your thumb in the food and then lick it?

• Love 8

On which day of culinary school do they teach you not to stick your thumb in the food and then lick it?

It was the day after Rocky gave the class food poisoning from the raw chicken she served them in "Fun With A Fryolator" Class. She missed the "Finger Licking Bad" class because Crazy Eyes was on the phone all day to Daddy absorbing his good energy and aloha because she screwed up in the kitchen the day before.  Unfortunately when she returned she also missed the class called " How Not To Burn Down The Kitchen" because she was in the bathroom trying to get her eyes unstuck from staring too much at the inside of her empty cranial cavity searching for this thing called a brain.

Edited by Giselle
  • Love 15

I read that article.  I doubt that biscuit dough is from a can.  I still wouldn't eat it if so, because all biscuit dough from a can has that "biscuit dough from a can" flavor.

Well, it tasted just like the Hungry Jack biscuits I make from a can at home, though I could never in a million years get the dough formed into a big perfect loop like that. It wouldn't have occurred to me to pair that with a fine filet and demi-glace, but the flavors really complemented each other. (The chef also does this great flavor combination where he uses both pesto sauce and Caesar dressing with a grilled lettuce salad.)

I  see a cut edge and layers. If he used canned dough it was either a biscuit or bread dough that he laminated by putting fat between the biscuits and rolling them out or using the bread dough to make a turned laminated dough. He could have used "Flakey" biscuits or those "cressent" (sp?)  rolls that are already a "laminated" type of dough.

After laminating, if needed, he probably rolled them flat to the desired depth and length, cut a strip, formed it around a greased ring or can and baked it still wrapped around the can. Only way to get a perfect circle.

P.S. if you haven't tried your hand at making croissants you should they are easy, yummy and are great to freeze and pull out when you want them.

• Love 1

Ben is by no means perfect, but he did seem to like to challenge himself in the kitchen. He could be snippy and bitchy, but at the end of the day it seemed that he could shed his attitude when he took off his chef jacket (which I think he always wore). Leon is angry. I also think he seems to be depressed. I'm trying to cut him some slack, but damn it's hard. At the end of the day, I think Kate acknowledges she has resting bitch face, that she'd love to land a rich hot guy, and that she's got a bit of an edge that could be tough for others to handle. Leon doesnt seem capable of any self reflection.....right now.

• Love 1

The fire was all a little too convenient for me.  Opening with the dirty oven revelation, ending with the obvious conclusion to that...Rocky being involved in starting the fire by fanning the flames.  Suspect, imho, like it was either sabotage to get rid of Kate or production trying to amp up a fairly bland season. 

I also think they may be editing Kate favorably, even though I'm on her side all the way.  

Despite my recognition of possible fakery, I fully believe that Leon is a dick.  Can't wait for next week to see how the preview of him with the Captain develops.  Kate's not the nicest person, but I can't imagine

her drinking during her shift as he seems to have alleged.

Edited by phoenix780
  • Love 1

It was the day after Rocky gave the class food poisoning from the raw chicken she served them in "Fun With A Fryolator" Class. She missed the "Finger Licking Bad" class because Crazy Eyes was on the phone all day to Daddy absorbing his good energy and aloha because she screwed up in the kitchen the day before.  Unfortunately when she returned she also missed the class called " How Not To Burn Down The Kitchen" because she was in the bathroom trying to get her eyes unstuck from staring too much at the inside of her empty cranial cavity searching for this thing called a brain.

LOL, Giselle!!  And, thank you for figuring out the reason why Rocky was screaming "My eyes, my eyes!!!!" when she opened the smoking oven....she actually had to look DIRECTLY at something that was actually eye-level - the oven wasn't situated on the ceiling, so therefore, her eyes were unused to their new perspective!!  ;-)

• Love 8

I would have loved for that charter last season that wanted the molecular diet to come back, how would Leon handle that!?

I believe both Trader Joe's and Whole Foods have their own lines of Molecular Drink Replacement Beverages. You know, for when Sous Chef Betty Crocker is off staging with the head chef at the QE2.... 

Plus... beef cheeks.

• Love 2
Leon is not a rookie stew under her supervision like Rocky. It's her job to convey the guests' requests and schedules to him, not to explain to him what his job entails and how to do it properly.

I think that's true in the sense that she shouldn't be critiquing the temperature he sets the oven, or how he seasons his beef cheeks... but she is the person who has to put the food down in front of the people (or do the apologizing when they get back from hours of playing out on the water and there's nothing to eat). So when she relays a request and he grunts, or she asks when something will be ready, and he grunts... it's unprofessional.

• Love 5