Type keyword(s) to search

Shameless in the Media

Chas411
  • Start Topic

I guess that's cool. WHM is a great actor, and I would rather they get something over nothing, but I feel like these noms are out of touch and made by people who don't watch the show. His storylines are kinda ridiculous and repetitive, and he generally doesn't have strong ties to other stories or characters. Frank is mostly in his own little story bubble. And those stories are usually the least realistic/satisfying of the bunch. He's even done this story arc before, only this time the woman was super pretty and he didn't actively kill her this time.

I don't get why Emmy has never been nommed. She's basically the star of the show. She's central to the show, story-wise (okay, maybe not as much this season), and she's done a ton of meaty scenes and story arcs. Seriously, what gives?

That said, I am not on the same wavelength as the Emmys anyway. It always seems like some bland show gets on a nomination/win jag for 5-10 years while really great stuff gets overlooked.

Edited by Hamatron

I don't get why Emmy has never been nommed. She's basically the star of the show. She's central to the show, story-wise (okay, maybe not as much this season), and she's done a ton of meaty scenes and story arcs. Seriously, what gives?

This has always really bugged me. I think she show (and Fiona) is past the sell by date of being award worthy but I think it's ridiculous that she never got nominated in the first two seasons especially and again maybe in season four.

I think the reason Emmy doesn't get noms is because award shows are still (even though they are trying to get better) stickler for what is considered a drama/comedy. Like I said, they are getting more loose with these guidelines, with all the new streaming tv services coming but that seems to push people Emmy out more for others. I think season four was Emmys best year but that was the year where this show was considered a comedy and it was probably her most dramatic season. 

I thought season four was probably the most dramatic but she had some pretty Emmy baity scenes in season one (when the show was at it's most likely to get nominated) and she was fantastic in those scenes. It's really disappointing she never got nominated when Macy and Cuzack have gotten repeated nominations for doing very little.

Holy smokes. Emmy Rossum playing hardball in contract re-negotiations, and standing up for equal pay to her male co-star (who, let's be real, is more of a drag on the show than an asset). I don't really want to see another season of this show, but if she's successful, many kudos to her.

• Love 7

Good for her. As someone who has watched this show since the very beginning, I find the character of Fiona much more central to the plots than Frank. If they wrote Frank off the show, I wouldn't miss him. As it is, I feel like his scenes are very brief and basically the same scenarios over and over without any character growth. Fiona has had different storylines and she has grown over time (sure, she still makes mistakes but at least she is trying new things). To me, Fiona is a main character while Frank is a secondary character. If they bumped Frank's screen time up with the character as he is now, I would not want to watch the show anymore because he's obnoxious, annoying, and repetitive. I don't think it would matter if they tried to give him some growth either because he has done too many unforgivable things to redeem him at this point. Even though Macy was the biggest name in the cast when the show began, I think the other cast members have more than proven themselves. I don't blame Emmy Rossum for wanting to get paid more.

• Love 7

Good for Emmy - while I can't stand Fiona at this point I do think Fiona, her journey and Emmys portrayal of her have been the major drawing of the show. She deserves as much if not more then Macy at this point.

3 hours ago, Chas411 said:

8 seasons have gone by I reckon if Emmy is bringing this up now it could be that she's ready to move on anyway and the producers dropping her won't be the end of the world for her. 

I agree and unfortunately I think that is a strong possibility. John Wells has proven his pettiness before, and I'm sure he's not happy that she took the fight public. In related news, one of the Shameless writers (Sheila Callaghan) was tweeting today about the male writers of Shameless being paid more than the women. Seems this issue goes beyond Emmy, which is not surprising. 

• Love 1

I'm glad for her, but I wish it wasn't so late in the game! If she was contracted for seven seasons I guess the renegotiation had to be at this point; I just think Shameless has been on a quality downslide and can't imagine it lasting much longer. It's hard for me to imagine what kind of meaningful direction they can go in without more repetition of the same up-down cycle, and just speaking practically, a ratings/interest rebound is unlikely a few years off their critical high point.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, sazzat said:

I'm glad for her, but I wish it wasn't so late in the game! If she was contracted for seven seasons I guess the renegotiation had to be at this point; I just think Shameless has been on a quality downslide and can't imagine it lasting much longer. It's hard for me to imagine what kind of meaningful direction they can go in without more repetition of the same up-down cycle, and just speaking practically, a ratings/interest rebound is unlikely a few years off their critical high point.

It sounds like the negotiation is only for one more season, and Showtime has a bunch of new shows in development, so my guess is that the intention is for this to be the last one. Agree it's a shame she wasn't able to fight for this earlier in the run.

• Love 1

I'm glad for her, that she got what she wanted but I agree with everyone, it's kind of late in the game, this show isn't what used to be. It's kind off the radar really athough WHM did get a SAG nom yesterday for the show if that means anything.

16 minutes ago, snarts said:

I hate the he continually gets nominated based on reputation when his character is such a one trick pony.  The others actors/actresses on the show have much meatier roles and are overlooked.

I'd wager that the vast majority of people voting for SAGs have never even seen Shameless. He gets nominations because everyone knows him (ditto Joan Cusack for the first five seasons).

• Love 3
On December 16, 2016 at 4:37 AM, snarts said:

The others actors/actresses on the show have much meatier roles and are overlooked.

I think Shameless is good enough to warrant more nominations, however, I wonder if they aren't considered because this show is essentially a repeat of the British Series. I apologize to all if I ma repeating something that's already been discussed as I haven't read through the forum yet.

On December 8, 2014 at 10:13 PM, Blue Castle said:

I've never seen the British version but I definitely agree Frank monopolizes way too much time on the American one. 

I got hooked on the British version of Shameless, and only found out last year there was an American version. Clearly I live under a rock, ha.