Type keyword(s) to search

Pnina Tornai and Her Sparkly, Sparkly Gowns

(1) where did you get your dress?

(2) are you still married, and how long has it been?

Local department store in 1970.  It was a-line with long sleeves (fall wedding) and had a cathedral train.  It cost $200.

Marriage lasted 13 years the first time, divorced, and after 10 years remarried again.  Within a year we both realized why we divorced the first time.  Have been happily divorced for 23 years, but my ex and I are very good friends and stay in touch.  We just can't live together.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Pachengala said:

1) $750 at a local nonprofit bridal store, where profits go to fight human trafficking in our community. 

2) It'll be one week tomorrow! 

Congratulations!

• Love 2

Sorry, @Frozendiva, not gauche. Obscene. Why in the world wear anything if you're going to wear this? There really is no decency in the world anymore, is there? Has Pnina never watched the beautiful, classy women of the past? Lauren Bacall, Audrey Hepburn, Rita Hayworth, Grace Kelly, add your own to the list? Do we have to tramp everything down to the lowest denominator these days? Is it because I have just turned 60 that this "couture design" is royally pissing me off? Naughty bits indeed! I don't want to see anyone's poop hole. Okay, taking a breath now......

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Frozendiva said:

I visit Gofugyourself almost each day. Some of the gowns there are just as obscene. The sheer trend needs to die. Eventually class and elegance will return.

Sadly, I am 70 and will probably not live to see it.

• Love 2

I think almost all the PT dresses are hideous. I wonder whether it's partly a cultural thing--had this kind of look been popular in Israel for years before PT brought it to Kleinfelds? I dunno.

(1) Wore my mom's dress, with alterations to remove the pointy boob look of her 1962 gown; nevertheless a very classic look, silk taffeta, dropped waist & short sleeves, chapel train. It was the affordable option!

(2) 22 years and counting. (It served for two of my sisters' weddings as well; one lasted 3 years, the other one is 19 years and counting.)

• Love 5

The "sexy" showing a lot of skin trend might be on it's way out in a few years.  A whole group of my daughter's friends got together for before the prom so they could all take pictures and go together.  I said to one of the mothers that I was impressed at how classy all of the dresses were and how about 15 or so years ago I was shocked at how much skin prom dresses were showing.  They were skin tight, with the whole back showing or a deep v down to the navel, or both!  She said that back then, kids were emulating JLo and wearing those skin tight, low slung jeans with crop tops, but that trend isn't quite as in fashion now as it was then.  If these brides were at an age to have been influenced by that look, then that might be why they still like it now.  At least I hope this is how it will all work out. 

• Love 2
On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 0:27 PM, LilJen said:

I think almost all the PT dresses are hideous. I wonder whether it's partly a cultural thing--had this kind of look been popular in Israel for years before PT brought it to Kleinfelds? I dunno.

(1) Wore my mom's dress, with alterations to remove the pointy boob look of her 1962 gown; nevertheless a very classic look, silk taffeta, dropped waist & short sleeves, chapel train. It was the affordable option!

(2) 22 years and counting. (It served for two of my sisters' weddings as well; one lasted 3 years, the other one is 19 years and counting.)

I agree. The prices she charges for her gowns is RIDICULOUS, and they look like something a stripper would wear. The dresses look trashy and low class.

• Love 1

1) my grandmother made my dress and hand beaded it, materials cost $500 for dress and veil (she made my veil using the same pattern she used to make my mother's 25 yrs before, she also made mom's dress)

2) married 18 years this year, my parents married 43 yrs this year

I shudder every time I see a Pnina see through corset. Especially at the cost yikes! 

• Love 3

I shudder every time I see a Pnina see through corset. Especially at the cost yikes! 

Yeah, just think how much less fabric they have to use for those tacky Pnina's.  Should cost less, not more.

• Love 1
On 5/21/2017 at 1:35 PM, laredhead said:

(1) where did you get your dress?

(2) are you still married, and how long has it been?

First wedding dress in 1994 - a place in St. Paul MN, paid about $350.  Divorced in 2011 after 17 years, two awesome kids.  Nice guy, we just grew very apart.

Second wedding dress: $380 at Bride to Be Consignment in Bloomington MN.  Bought a beautiful champagne ball gown (no bling, it was $20) for this ceremony but wanted ivory and a true wedding dress.  So I got another one. We are both 52  - I wish we had married each other back in the late 80's!!!  (We knew each other as kids.)

On 6/19/2017 at 3:14 PM, Kohola3 said:

Yeah, just think how much less fabric they have to use for those tacky Pnina's.  Should cost less, not more.

No kidding - "You want to be half naked on your wedding day?  Okaaaaaay."  PT dresses look like My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding rejects.  Seriously!!

• Love 2
(edited)

1970 My mom and I made my gown and veil.  My dress was long sleeve high neck empire waist.  Beautiful satin with lace trim on bodice and sleeves.  The lace came from Lyon France brought over by my great grandma.  I also took some lace cut out the flowers and sewed them on my floor length veil.  I think now that my mom has been gone for over 30 years my dress was devine....wish I could fit in it....divorced after 9 years he turned out to like cheating....total cost about $30.00

Edited by seahag50
  • Love 3
37 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

@sleepyjean, pardon my language, but wow, that is some truly ugly shit. Why wear anything at all?

I can't imagine there's much of a market for wedding onesies. Although I would be fascinated to see these on the show and see who actually buys these and how much they cost.

• Love 1

I can't unsee those dresses.  Just...no.  Major ass ugly.  

I want to edit my earlier post but am unable to:  after all the dress chatter and "How much did you pay?"  I got married in early October in a $60 dress off Amazon.  Free shipping no less, and I loved it.  

• Love 3

After one experience in a restroom stall with a one-piece culotte dress many years ago, I learned to never wear anything that would require me to strip down to close to nothing just to be able to answer a call of nature, especially in a place where people will be waiting for you to exit the stall. And that's all I can think about while looking at those Pnina outfits. Not only will they be peeled down to nothing, they'll have to figure out what in the world to do with those skirt/trains.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, rur said:

After one experience in a restroom stall with a one-piece culotte dress many years ago, I learned to never wear anything that would require me to strip down to close to nothing just to be able to answer a call of nature, especially in a place where people will be waiting for you to exit the stall. And that's all I can think about while looking at those Pnina outfits. Not only will they be peeled down to nothing, they'll have to figure out what in the world to do with those skirt/trains.

I don't think a wearer of these so-called dresses will worry about having to peel down to nothing in a restroom! Anyone who'd wear one of these is not exactly a modest person!

Edited by Spunkygal

Wedding bell-bottom onesie. So curious how you pee in this thing because I don't see a zipper in any of the photos.

I've been scrolling through Pnina's instagram. I can't explain my fascination. Maybe it's because in the first couple seasons of this show, she made one really beautiful, elegant sheath dress that I adored and I keep coming back to see if she's capable of ever doing it again. (So far, no.) The other thing is I'm looking to see if she has any models with darker skin tones. I want to know - all these gowns with the sheer tulle bodices to give the nearly nekkid effect - does she change the color of the tulle/mesh so that it's nude for a variety of skin tones? Or do all brides get the Caucasian version of nude (for lack of a better term)?

Well, I finally found my answer: NO. I'm trying to think how many African American Pnina brides I've seen on this show. Not many. And now I guess I know why. The nude effect looks ridiculous when it's not really nude.

• Love 2

The waxing and shaving that would have to happen before putting on that sequined mosquito netting...who has that kind of time?  

I could only imagine the look on the brides father's face walking that down the aisle.  

That is where one (or two) of those over skirts would come in handy.

• Love 4

I never, ever want to see that much of anyone's skin in public.  I don't care who it is.  And I cannot imagine why someone would want friends, family, and total strangers see that much either.  It's sick.

• Love 4

I'm watching SYTD Atlanta and there is a bride being harassed by I think her mother or maybe an aunt with fingernails that are a good six inches long and cork skewed shaped, why would this bride take any fashion direction from this woman?  Those nails positively gross, I don't even want to think about the bacteria that lurks.

• Love 2

And I cannot imagine why someone would want friends, family, and total strangers see that much either.  It's sick

"Good morning, Reverend.  Here's my titties." 

"Hi, Grampie. Got a nice view of my tushie from your seat in the front row?" 

"Hey, Ring Bearer.  You're at just the right height to get a look at my Brazilian."

• Love 10
On 1/7/2018 at 11:29 AM, Quof said:

"Good morning, Reverend.  Here's my titties." 

"Hi, Grampie. Got a nice view of my tushie from your seat in the front row?" 

"Hey, Ring Bearer.  You're at just the right height to get a look at my Brazilian."

And if the bride should, I don't know....move - everyone will see her Florida State Line!!!  

• Love 1
On 12/4/2017 at 4:52 PM, sleepyjean said:

Well, I finally found my answer: NO. I'm trying to think how many African American Pnina brides I've seen on this show. Not many. And now I guess I know why. The nude effect looks ridiculous when it's not really nude.

I actually think this bride looks gorgeous, and it's not like the illusion is completely shear/invisible (or "nude") on White/lighter skinned brides either. 

On 6/9/2017 at 6:34 AM, gonecrackers said:

Class & elegance won't return; what's happening is they're being redefined. Now it's 'classy', & 'elegant', as well as 'empowering', to be mostly naked.

Women are allowed to feel empowered however they choose to be. For some it might be showing skin, because they feel comfortable in their skin and are proud of it. For some it might be the more "classic" look of a wedding dress. Everyone has their own definition of beauty and empowering, and there is not one universal definition. 

Does this mean that I like all of the styles that brides choose? Nope. But I also try not to slut-shame women or dictate what they can or can't wear or what they choose to feel empowered by/beautiful in. 

Edited by HighHopes
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, HighHopes said:

Women are allowed to feel empowered however they choose to be. For some it might be showing skin, because they feel comfortable in their skin and are proud of it. For some it might be the more "classic" look of a wedding dress. Everyone has their own definition of beauty and empowering, and there is not one universal definition. 

Does this mean that I like all of the styles that brides choose? Nope. But I also try not to slut-shame women or dictate what they can or can't wear or what they choose to feel empowered by/beautiful in. 

Okay here's my opinion on this & I get that not everyone agrees... there's tasteful & there's not. There is a line that can be easily crossed with these gowns, & whether the bride likes it or not seeing every nook & crevice or all the peekaboo boobs & butt cracks are tacky & offensive to many people, & the wedding is not a place for her to 'display' her body. She can feel empowered half naked at the beach, not in front of grandma.

That said, of course she can wear whatever she chooses, but that's how I see it (& I don't want or need to see it).

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

Okay here's my opinion on this & I get that not everyone agrees... there's tasteful & there's not. There is a line that can be easily crossed with these gowns, & whether the bride likes it or not seeing every nook & crevice or all the peekaboo boobs & butt cracks are tacky & offensive to many people, & the wedding is not a place for her to 'display' her body. She can feel empowered half naked at the beach, not in front of grandma.

That said, of course she can wear whatever she chooses, but that's how I see it (& I don't want or need to see it).

If a woman needs to wear next to nothing in order to feel empowered on her wedding day, I question her sense of self worth and dignity.  Dressing provocatively  while the focus at the most public event most of us will ever participate in, doesn't send a message of pride or strength or class.  It makes me question what it is that makes her feel the need to appear that way in front of her nearest and dearest at that particular milestone moment of her life; let alone why she would feel that a church service or any sort of wedding ceremony was the place to make that statement.

Just me, YMMV.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 10

Women are allowed to feel empowered however they choose to be. For some it might be showing skin, because they feel comfortable in their skin and are proud of it.

In viewing the personalities of the women we have seen selecting styles suitable for hookers and whores, I seriously doubt they are feeling empowered.  They have even stated that they want to look "skanky". Empowerment means strength and confidence - these bimbos are in it for the shock value and their ability to embarrass people who have no recourse but to suffer in silence.  That's not pride, that's hubris.

• Love 6