Type keyword(s) to search

Pnina Tornai and Her Sparkly, Sparkly Gowns

Outrageous is an understatement to describe Pnina's gowns. There must be at least a a couple of beautiful dresses in her collection. But I reckon we will never get to see those gowns. Instead we are continually subject to the same old recycled blinged out, see-through "look at my knickers, I am a hottie" ones.

• Love 1

The Pnina wiki page is painful to read. 

The blonde lawyer twin had her wedding shown. Her twin convinced her to get the dress lined but she really didn't want to so had it torn out at the fitting. Well, at least her fiance was happy. 

• Love 1

Even strippers don't go around in see through clothing in front of all their friends and family.  Why would someone think to do that at a wedding? I just loved the shot of the boy ringbearer being at the same height as the see through bride's navel.  I'm sure he could tell if she waxed or shaved for the event. 

• Love 1

That page is hilarious.

Tornai creates dresses while she is dreaming, which inspires the fabrics she uses and her designs.[1] ... According to the New York Times, Tornai's dresses are considered "vixenish."[5] Tornai tries to make dresses that will work for every bride.

Yes, for every bride.

So do I understand correctly that Say Yes essentially made Pnina's career? I truly can't fathom the market for this style of gown.

• Love 1

What is up with this women's wedding gowns. Every freaking episode has a gown featured. I get it! Beading, see through, expensive!

I would wear nothing of hers, not because they aren't pretty, some aspects are nice but nothing I can't get at David's Bridal for thousands less. But the see through is just too much, it's not even flattering, it's all over!!

If your gonna do a bit risque do classy, not cheap!

• Love 3

I'm watching White Christmas for the 3rd or 4th time in a week, and every time I watch it, I'm struck by the black (velvet?) gown Rosemary Clooney wears in the nightclub-solo-debut scene. I don't know if it's a fit and flare or a mermaid design, but, Wow! It accents all her curves, gives her a tiny waist, and  doesn't reveal a thing. (And films in the '50s had to abide by moral codes; I noticed that the dresses were designed to hide any hint of cleavage.) It's the kind of dress that Pnina should be designing, but isn't. Even if Rosie is wearing a corset under the dress instead of having the boning sewn into the dress like the stripper fairy gowns do, the design itself is what I think brides should be getting when they say they want something "timeless." Imagine that dress in white velvet for a winter wedding -- and then imagine a Pnina. No contest. It's classy vs. cheap.

• Love 2

I'm watching White Christmas for the 3rd or 4th time in a week, and every time I watch it, I'm struck by the black (velvet?) gown Rosemary Clooney wears in the nightclub-solo-debut scene. 

For my first office party at my current office, I wore a black evening gown and put a brooch at the small of my back the way she did on that dress. It made me very, very happy. /OT

• Love 2

If that's dress 4349, the sheer cutouts leave nothing to the imagination. Wow. 

Go down 7 rows and look for the picture dated Dec. 16. Several comments asked if it was a zombie bride dress, but I think they meant mummy. 

I also thought it was kind of … interesting … that the top of the page says she's the Star of SYTTD. 

I see she's also selling stripper fairy shoes, too. She has to be laughing madly all the way to the bank.

Edited by rur

I finally found the zombie dress, after getting stopped on a few other curiosities. At least some of the posters there seem to realize that no sane bride would show up to her wedding in a bikini with a bit of expensive net and beading over it. I'm also wondering if the Pnina brides have the zero-fat figures of the runway models. I can only imagine how all that transparency would look on me and the normal women I know.

Where is the semi-transparent tuxedo for the groom?

• Love 1

I went back in and read the comments by the dresses I thought bordered on the more outrageous. 

Although I don't speak the languages that all of the comments were written in, I am pretty sure I recognized "ridiculous" "Halloween" and "prostitute" among the comments. 

Hee.

• Love 3

She sells. It's not her fault that the brides who buy her dresses want to look like they are wearing their dresses inside out. I would like to see divorce statistics calculated by brand of wedding dress. I just suspect that Pnina brides divorce faster than Mori Lee or Maggie Sotero brides. That's just a hunch. Wouldn't that be interesting to find out? Wouldn't it be funny to see something like that? Maybe we could gather anecdotal data here:

(1) where did you get your dress?

(2) are you still married, and how long has it been?

(3) if divorced, how long did the marriage last?

I wore my great-great-great-great grandmothers gown from 1804 the first time, divorced after 10 years. Wore my grandmothers gown from 1918 the 2nd time, still married after 31 years.

• Love 3

I finally saw someone respond to one of those Pnina see-through dresses (or rip-off but same idea) on SYTTD Atlanta.  It was either mother or grandmother:

"HA-HA-HA-HA(gasp!)HA-HA-HA-NO-NO-HA-HA-HA(gasp!)-HA-HA-NO-HA-HA-NOOOOO-HA-HA"

(small voice) "It looked pretty on the hanger."

Edited by backgroundnoise
  • Love 2

Yes, we have been discussing this and other special snowflake brides on the All Episodes forum. It is sickening. I don't want to know what the entire wedding cost. Her father was some official in Angola. I bet there are plenty of needy, hungry people in their country who could put that money to better use.

• Love 12

Did you all see the VIP brides episode with the woman from Africa who spent $200 K on Pnina Colada dresses for her, her mom and her EIGHT bridesmaids???

Naulila Diogo. She for sure won the prize for conspicuous consumption. And the fact that she comes from Angola, one of the poorest countries on the planet, made it extra special. Well, at least she got a lot of dresses for that money.

I sort of hate to admit it, but I liked her bridesmaid gowns.

10 hours ago, sleepyjean said:

Naulila Diogo. She for sure won the prize for conspicuous consumption. And the fact that she comes from Angola, one of the poorest countries on the planet, made it extra special. Well, at least she got a lot of dresses for that money.

She probably could've fed her whole country on what she spent on her wedding.

• Love 3
On 8/1/2015 at 11:09 PM, algebra said:

1) Off the rack in an indian clothing store in Garden State Plaza, Paramus, New Jersey, 1986

2) I was married 27 years until my husband died three years ago.  Would be married to him still otherwise.  Don't want another one.  ;-)

• Love 5

1. I got my dress online, which was a relatively new thing in 2001, the year I got married. I tried it on in a bridal salon and loved it, but not the price tag.  I said, "I get I can find this cheaper somewhere else!)  And I did - about $400 less than the bridal salon.

2. Married for 16 years this June and we were together about six years before that.  :)

• Love 4
On 8/1/2015 at 9:09 PM, algebra said:

1)  1982, in a bridal store.  It cost $350, which I paid for by myself.  Just me and my mom shopping, and I think it was the first one I tried on.  I remember the saleslady saying that the dress was featured in a movie, but I can't remember which one.  I also remember the saleslady writing up a description of the dress to be used in the wedding announcement in the newspaper.  Good times.

2)  Still married, will be 35 years next month.  Time flies.  Every year we toast ourselves and up the contract for another year.  Good times.

• Love 4
On 8/1/2015 at 8:09 PM, algebra said:

(1) Got my dress at Lerner's off the rack for $17.95 in 1964. It was a knee-length white lace dress with a matching bolero. It was the only dress I tried on, but with our dysfunctional family situation, I knew it was a good idea to get it while my mother was in a rare good mood.

(2) 52 years so far, and it gets better every day.

• Love 15

52 years so far, and it gets better every day.

Congrats, AZChristian.  You are a rare couple in today's sad world!  My folks were married 63 years and lived for each other.

• Love 3

(1) Gimbel's, knee length ivory lace, definitely less than $100, picked it out and paid for it myself. We had a smallish wedding and honestly, I wish we'd had a bigger & more traditional party with the gown and all the trimmings.

(2) Having said that, we celebrated our 35th anniversary last December. :)

• Love 6

Wedding #1:

1. Betsy Robinson's in Baltimore 1987, first dress I tried on, it was a Fink Brother's for $350, my father nearly fainted, lol.

2. That marriage lasted 13 years, 17 if you count the 4 years it took to divorce a judge.

Wedding #2:
1. White House/Black Market - around $200 in 2005, simple cream colored lace strapless over champagne under slip. (17 guests at this wedding)

2. 12 years this July, could not be happier.

• Love 5

(1)  Hinshaw's (local department store), 1970, cost $60.  It was the only dress I tried on and I knew it was the right one.

(2) Marriage lasted 15 years.  Unfortunately, he had a problem staying faithful.

• Love 2

(1) Local bridal shop for $1500 (twice as much as we had budgeted but the entire wedding still came in under $10K--it was very small with great food). I cut a picture out of a magazine, took it to the appointment with me, and that was the first one (of four) I tried on and the one I bought.

(2) Married 15 years to date but we were together, owned our house, etc. for 9 years prior so 24 years total

• Love 2

I don't remember the name of the store. Some small bridal shop here in the valley, east of Pasadena, CA.  It was a $250 white bridesmaid's dress that the saleswoman kept reminding me of, to which I kept responding "I don't care--I love it".  It was a long sleeved tuxedo jacket with a floor length skirt around the back and short in the front, over a knee length, strapless dress.  So, when I got to the reception, once the formal dances were finished, I could take off the jacket for the real dancing  :) 

We've been married for 22 years now. 

Looking back, I wish I could have afforded one of those floor length gowns--they were pretty, but we were paying  out of our own pockets for everything, and  wanted to save on the wedding for the honeymoon with a lot left over for life stuff.   I tried on different ones to get an idea of what styles looked good on me and there was one that I fell in love with.  I forget the designer's name, but I was told that he started as an assistant to Lazaro.  I stopped trying on the gowns out of my price range immediately afterward because I knew I would just keep getting disappointed.  It's why I cringe when I see a bride try on something out of their price range.  Anyway, I loved my gown (although now, I look at it as dated).  It was different and suited my personality at the time. 

• Love 3

It was a $250 white bridesmaid's dress that the saleswoman kept reminding me of, to which I kept responding "I don't care--I love it". 

Who has white bridesmaid's dresses?  Unless, of course, the bride is wearing something other than white.

(Shannon L., we seem to be neighbors.  I live in the SGV and work in Pasadena.)

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, camom said:

Who has white bridesmaid's dresses?  Unless, of course, the bride is wearing something other than white.

(Shannon L., we seem to be neighbors.  I live in the SGV and work in Pasadena.)

I actually wore a white tea length wedding dress as a bridesmaid for a friends wedding...most expensive bridesmaid dress I ever bought.

1 hour ago, camom said:

All white weddings come and go. They were quite popular in the 1940s.

(edited)
1 hour ago, camom said:

Kate Middleton  :)

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, camom said:

My sister. It was a summer wedding about 20 years ago. Maybe at the time it was a little out of the box, but it was lovely and sophisticated.