Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Chapter Twenty-Four

I loved The Bachelorette theme going through the episode. However her declaring to love them both was such a cop out, I really love Michael and like that he pointed out maybe she'll figure it out and maybe he'll still be around. He didn't come across as desperate and I hope she doesn't pick him just because of Petra's insemination baby. 

The instant replay when Rafael found out he was the poor sucker with the stamp was hilarious. 

• Love 3

I thought this was the best episode so far.  I loved bachelorette Jane, she was hilarious.  I will continue to be team Rafael even though its looking like Michael may win in the end.  I do think he was desperate especially with all the coffee visits and the alarm system, etc, etc.  I do think that he knows Jane better but he's known her longer so it didn't really work for me as a reason to choose him over Rafael.  People fall in love quickly all the time.  I also think he kind of took something away from Jane by basically telling her she doesn't know her own mind or her own feelings.  I'm glad that Rafael is trying this time around, he's not so quick to get going when the going gets tough.

I'm glad I was right in thinking that the woman was after Luisa and not Jane.  I'm pretty sure that's Rose and this is another attempt to be with Luisa.  I'm glad that Rafael found out about Petra taking the sperm and that he immediately tells Jane about it.  You would think that Petra would not be allowed to take anything else from that clinic without Rafael's express wishes but I digress.  I am unhappy however that she actually got pregnant considering how old that sperm was and just the annoyance of having to go through yet another baby storyline.  It reminds me of Adalind being pregnant with Nick's baby on Grimm.  Just terrible ideas. 

The stuff with Lachlan is really old now.  As well as them always doing something wrong with the hotel.  Let them win every once in a while.  Abuela broke my heart.  I'm so glad that she has decided to take charge of his circumstances and finally get herself a green card.

• Love 7

Hmm, the recap I read of this makes me think I wouldn't enjoy it, esp the many parts about the triangle. I already thought the premiere wasn't entirely worth watching.

The network synopses of the next 2 eps are uninspiring as well. 

Another possible hint at Michael's demise, with his comment about "if I'm still around"? Hmm.

I'm now leaning toward Michael in the Rafael/Michael fight (used to strongly prefer Rafael) but this is one of the few shows I watch where I'm not too bothered with the shipping stuff (which is probably a good thing, considering this is a telanovela).

• Love 1

I hope Rafael sues the pants off Petra and she's forced to cede her part of the hotel back to him in settlement. What she did was straight up fraud and theft. She was not his wife and had no legal rights to that sample. 

• Love 4

You see, I'm ok with heavy Team Michael anvils being dropped for a couple of reasons: first off, the show started off strong last season with Jane/Michael, with some Jane/Rafael. It was an ok triangle last season, until about episode...six, seven? As soon as Jane dumped Michael and started dating Rafael, Michael seemed to drop off her radar and it was like they never dated, and it happened for most of the rest of the first season, until near the end. Well, besides a couple of scenes and a couple of flashbacks, they focused a LOT on Jane/Rafael. At one point, I thought it was too much focused on them. So far, it seems they have a good balance again on the triangle, but there's definitely more preference on Jane/Michael, so that's fine for me. I like them anyway.

And the other reason? I do think there's a lot of anvils being dropped on Michael's demise. You know what they say about love triangles: it can only end with one of the parties being dead. And, seeing as this show seems to be hung up on Jane/Rafael, I have a feeling they'll be the surviving couple by the end. Also, I feel like there's unfinished business and closure needed with Jane and Michael, and I love to see more scenes with them. I mean, seeing as we've gotten a gazillion of Jane/Rafael scenes, why not try to make it even with Jane/Michael scenes? 

Michael holding Mateo was adorable.

Lachlan is annoying. Can he...you know....not be here? Can he get killed by Sin Rosetro next?

I will say that I liked seeing that small scene at the beginning with the family and Rafael. Now, that is what I need to see more of! And I still like Rafael. I don't mind his and Jane's scene, but I think I like it better with them being friends. I just needed more time to enjoy Jane/Rafael.

I wasn't loving the Xo/Rogelio subplot, but there were some pretty funny moments. But the Bachelorette gag was pretty entertaining. Poor Abuela. And finally, Petra. I really do enjoy her more than I probably should. Her being pregnant should be fun.

Also, still love seeing Bridget Reagan make hallucinatory/dream appearances.

• Love 3

This was a cute ep, but my biggest takeaway? Justin B cannot act. That double take at the end when Rafael found out he was the poor sucker was SO bad I cringed. The only thing that rescued it for me was the instant replay. I imagined the director in the background going, "Come on, Justin, let's have some shock. No, that's just widening your eyes. No, no, that's just making your mouth into an O. Come on, you can do it! You're shocked, you're devastated...come on, make it bigger...bigger...No, no... Eh, never mind. We'll toss the narrator in and he'll fix it." 

And I am choosing to ignore the Michael death anvils so I can continue to enjoy the show.

• Love 4

I didn't get any death anvils from Michael's comment about not being around. I thought he finally grew a pair and was basically telling Jane that if she takes too long to come to her senses he won't be around or available to care.

Edited by blugirlami21
  • Love 8

I don't know what to make of the crime side of the story at this point - I had hoped we'd lose Sin Rostro between seasons. I think the show is afraid of being *just* a soap, so they feel the need to keep something more heightened around; I also see how without an ongoing crime thread there's less justification to keep Michael hanging around.

• Love 1

Loved this episode!  So cute!  I died laughing when Jane woke up Michael in the tent. So well written, and so perfectly acted.  

This show is one of my favorites, and it's because the entire cast is great.  Love each and every one of them.

• Love 2

This episode was adorable. I loved Bachelorette Jane, she was so bubbly and enthusiastic about everything. And Xiomara and Rogelio cracked me up on the cruise ship.

I'm glad the pregnancy reveal didn't get dragged out. I'm also glad that Rafael is telling Jane next week so that doesn't get dragged out.

• Love 1

I don't know what to make of the crime side of the story at this point - I had hoped we'd lose Sin Rostro between seasons. I think the show is afraid of being *just* a soap, so they feel the need to keep something more heightened around.

Well the non-meh first two-thirds of S1 had that, and Petra's being blackmailed/fleeing from someone mysterious, and at least for a few episodes Michael's supposedly shady secret which wasn't that shady and Xo hiding Jane's father from her. 

There kinda aren't any sources of Mystery and Intrigue now, just a bunch of family and romance stuff, and I've seen a big quality dip as a result.

I continue to be team Michael all the way. He is just a winner. I think the Latin Lover narrator is team Michael as well. 

Oh Rafael. You poor sucker. Thank God they didn't string that reveal out for too long. That would have gotten old fast. Much better getting to see his shocked/horrified face as he finds out the news. 

That baby is ridiculously adorable. 

• Love 4

I'm totally Team Michael... his relationship with Jane feels real, and sweet.  Rafael is just gorgeous, and she has this ideal of a family with him, that would be uncomplicated.    However, I think the show is Rafael endgame, even though Michael is a better fit... so I'm betting Michael is killed somehow protecting Jane or Mateo.  

I can't believe they went there with Petra and a pregnancy.  But I"m glad the paternity isn't some big secret.  Now I wonder if we will find out more about Petra's previous loss.  Let's see where the show goes with it.  Does she carry to term, miscarriage... or is she farther along then she thinks and the baby isn't Rafael's.

Oh well.  This show is such a fun romp, every week.  

• Love 3

Loved the episode. Team Michael all the way. He has shown more ability to be responsible and caring than Rafael. R has money and uses it to show caring. Michael has thoughtfulness and time and uses that to show caring. I prefer thoughtfulness to money, anyday.

Glad Petra got pregnant. The more OTT scenarios, the better

And I am not a weeper but almost got a little misty with abuela. What a great storyline.

• Love 5

"And Petra didn't get off scott free" - Oh latin narrator lover, you make me laugh!

I felt so terrible for Jane throughout the show with her dreams/nightmares about Matteo being kidnapped by Rose. My heart skipped beats every time she woke up from those horrible dreams. And overtime she saw Rose in someone else.

Luisa was a riot this whole episode! "You are locked in, Lachlan!"

The whole cruiseship storyline was very funny. Chocolate fountain! And it was sweet how Xo and Ro are trying to figure out how to be together.

Rafael and Michael over eagerness to win over Jane makes for some funny moments. Rafael and Michael play off well off of one another.

Bachelorette Jane was hilarious!

Xo and Abuela Team!Michael! Team!Rafael! cracked me up. Especially Abuela's "I may be old but I'm not dead" bit.

I'm Team Rafael but Michael holding that baby was all sorts of cute.

Rick/Lachlan's schtick is sooooooooooo old. Enough already. Although the story between Rafael/Petra/Lachlan as told by latin narrator lover was funny.

"Feels so good to be back here, I mean here, naked in bed with you" LMAO!

Abuela's run in with the cops was heartbreaking. Leaving in fear must be awful. I am glad she decided to take matters into her own hands and not let her fear dictate the way she lives.

While I thought the "I'm in love with the both of you" thing was a tad lame, the bachelorette confessionals were hilarious!

Rose/winebottle/michael OH MY!

"I know you better, you're just in love with the idea of family" - that bugged me a lot more than it should have. Sounded dismissive of Jane's feelings.

Yes Rafael, you are the poor Sucker!!! LMAO!

I also think he kind of took something away from Jane by basically telling her she doesn't know her own mind or her own feelings.  

I'm glad I was right in thinking that the woman was after Luisa and not Jane.  I'm pretty sure that's Rose and this is another attempt to be with Luisa.  I'm glad that Rafael found out about Petra taking the sperm and that he immediately tells Jane about it.  

Yes, that's what bothered me about Michael telling her she was not really in love with Rafael, just with the idea of family.

Rose trying to get Luisa back? Interesting...

I wonder if the people who bought the property next to the Marbella are in any way related to Rose?

Edited by Bouffe
  • Love 1

the bachelorette confessionals were hilarious!

I loved the descriptions of Michael (Good Guy Cop) and Rafael (Hunk Hotelier) in their interviews.

I almost wish Michael and Rafael would become BFFs and start hanging out though. I really liked it in the season premiere when Rafa went to Michael for help and Michael just genuinely helped him.

Edited by Minneapple
  • Love 3

This was a cute ep, but my biggest takeaway? Justin B cannot act. That double take at the end when Rafael found out he was the poor sucker was SO bad I cringed. The only thing that rescued it for me was the instant replay. I imagined the director in the background going, "Come on, Justin, let's have some shock. No, that's just widening your eyes. No, no, that's just making your mouth into an O. Come on, you can do it! You're shocked, you're devastated...come on, make it bigger...bigger...No, no... Eh, never mind. We'll toss the narrator in and he'll fix it." 

I really took it as Justin overacting this for comedic effect. Oh well, to each their own! :)

• Love 3

I thought it was telling that Bachelorette Jane's main point to Jane when she told her to pick Rafael was that she could have sex with him all the time. I do feel like that's what it's mostly about for Jane, that Rafael is hot, and when the show actually underlines it that makes me think Jane/Rafael aren't endgame. Once they start having sex (if they do), I think she'll lose interest eventually.

I really do hope Rose hasn't gotten plastic surgery. Bridget Regan is just so gorgeous.

• Love 1

ITA. Other than the hotness factor and that he's the biological father, I don't see what other qualities Rafael has to offer. It's clear that his wealth makes Jane uncomfortable and his drama-filled world of Petra, Sin Rosetro, and crazy sis Luisa doesn't match with Jane's down-to-earth lifestyle.... though without all this, there wouldn't be a show. But I'm biased because all I want is for the Michael/Rogelio bromance to continue.

I'm not too crazy about the Petra pregnancy storyline either. It's just so generic soap opera... especially with the turkey baster DIY insemination. C'mon! I expect more from JtV, which is why there better be a cool twist. Maybe it's not Rafael's baby but Lachlan's. How much time has passed anyway? Maybe the sperm bank gave her the wrong sperm?

The Narrator and his new ESPN sports pen is great. He should doodle some more during the show. 

"I know you better, you're just in love with the idea of family" - that bugged me a lot more than it should have. Sounded dismissive of Jane's feelings.

That;s because it was dismissive of her feelings.  He can own knowing her better than Rafael all he wants but Rafael wasn't the one declaring her in love with both of them.  That came straight from Jane's mouth.  Michael wasn't just asserting how much he knows her better than Rafael, he was basically saying he knows her better than she knows herself. 

And that holds shades of much of what drove him last season.  In fact, his declaration that she better realize that she doesn't love Rafael before he's not around was kind of laughable since he spent much of last season hanging around expecting her to change her mind.  Or at least prove that Rafael was a criminal.

I thought it was telling that Bachelorette Jane's main point to Jane when she told her to pick Rafael was that she could have sex with him all the time.

And Michael was handy. 

There's a reason Jane shut Bachelorette Jane out. 

• Love 5

Hmm. Unfortunately this episode highlighted for me how much I hate the love triangle aspect of this show. 

I get that it's one of the primary pillars of the show, but it leaves me cold, and having it brought front and center like that was just ... unpleasant.

• Love 1

I am very late the to the JtV train, having just binge-watched all of S1 on Netflix and am officially caught up on S2 now.

This is one of the very few shows I enjoyed from start to finish. Whatever way the writers take the plot, I'm happy to go. I love hanging out in Jane's world and it just pulled me in right from the start (thanks in large part to Gina Rodriguez). Love triangles, surprise marriages, insemination with lukewarm "spunk" - I'm totally in.

• Love 3

Damn it, I can't pick a team. Like Jan, I love them both. I absolutely adore the Jane/Michael flashbacks. They really are perfect for each other. I really hope they don't go dark and have Michael killed- they may lose me as a viewer.

I see the Petra/Raf flashbacks and they were pretty great also. I would like to see them explored again, but they are far away from where they were now that she's pregnant with his baby without his consent.

Jane not showering for a week? Yikes. She's worse than I thought she would be, but I don't blame her because those Rose nightmares are terrible.

That;s because it was dismissive of her feelings.  He can own knowing her better than Rafael all he wants but Rafael wasn't the one declaring her in love with both of them.  That came straight from Jane's mouth.  Michael wasn't just asserting how much he knows her better than Rafael, he was basically saying he knows her better than she knows herself. 

And that holds shades of much of what drove him last season.  In fact, his declaration that she better realize that she doesn't love Rafael before he's not around was kind of laughable since he spent much of last season hanging around expecting her to change her mind.  Or at least prove that Rafael was a criminal.

This episode put me firmly on a Team Michael needs to die.

That scene was all kinds of disturbing. In fact from this episode it actually came over that Michael doesn't love Jane, he's obsessed by her, obsessed by beating Rafael. Like I said it's disturbing.

Has it occurred to the writers that Jane doesn't end up with anyone?

• Love 3

That scene was all kinds of disturbing. In fact from this episode it actually came over that Michael doesn't love Jane, he's obsessed by her, obsessed by beating Rafael. Like I said it's disturbing.

I didn't like that scene much either, but then I remind myself that this is a telenovela-based show. It's going to be a little dramatic. I would say that Rafael also displayed this type of behaviour, but Rafael does have a one-up on Michael so far, so he does have to try a bit harder. 

But this does remind me of when Rafael broke up with Jane and lied about not loving her, because he was 'protecting her' or something. Look how well that turned out.

I don't think it's truly occurred to the writers. I personally was hoping for an 'I'm in love with Mateo right now' instead of 'I'm in love with both of you'. 

• Love 2

I really took it as Justin overacting this for comedic effect. Oh well, to each their own! :)

yup, that's how I saw it too.

Directions he got were probably "do shock/surprise, but exaggerate it because we are going to dissect it in slo-mo"

• Love 1

I disagree.

If Michael doesn't love Jane then why would he put everything aside to save her baby and even go as far as giving away evidence. During that time, there was no "beef" with Rafael. It was wrong to be dismissive of her feelings and I was put off by it as well, but I think he was upset and frustrated with her because they were together for so long and planned out a life together that was ruined by a medical mistake. I think Michael finds it hard to let go of someone he loves so deeply.

That's how he played it for the whole of Season 1. Michael's wonderful and sweet and amazing... when everything's going his way. The slightest complication and he freaks out and acts like a jackass. He's far too possessive and controlling for my liking. And yes, Rafael gets jealous. But when he does he deals with it openly. He tells Michael to back off or tells Jane how he's feeling. Michael behaves like a petulant kid.

I don't think it's truly occurred to the writers. I personally was hoping for an 'I'm in love with Mateo right now' instead of 'I'm in love with both of you'. 

I would have liked the beginning of this season to be about Jane telling them both to back off because she needs to be a mother first. Devoting the entirety of the second episode to the triangle was a little tedious. No matter how good the overall episode was.

Really hating the Petra pregnancy plotine.

• Love 3

I'm finally starting to catch up on S2 - woo hoo!

I had some issues with Michael this week. First of all, you can know someone really well but that doesn't mean that you should be together. If knowing someone really well due to dating for a few years means that you should get married, then I guess I should have married my high school boyfriend. He knows me in a way that no one else does, but so does my best friend from middle school and I'm not marrying her either. It's great when someone knows you very well, but that is often a function of how much you are willing to open up to them, how much time you spend together, how long you've known each other, etc. That doesn't mean that Michael should automatically win the "I know Jane better and therefore should be with her" contest. 

Michael knows Jane better right now because he has a three year lead on Rafael. If Jane shut Michael out of her life for three years and then spent that time getting to know Rafael and then brought Michael back in, who would win the Who Knows Jane Better After Three Years game show? And really, the point is that it isn't a contest, which is what Michael is trying to make it into. By saying he knows Jane better than Rafael does, he makes is seem like he should accumulate more points for knowing things about her and whoever has the most points gets to win Jane.

When Michael told Jane that she is in love with the idea of a family, not in love with Rafael, I just rolled my eyes. Yes, because you are somehow able to magically feel exactly what she's feeling and she needs you to explain to her how she feels? Okay then. To me that was really condescending and insulting.

I know all's fair in love and war, but I wouldn't want to be in a triangle and win the object of my affection because I was able to point out how the other person sucks, which is kind of what Michael has been doing. I want Mr. EB to be with me because he WANTS to be with me, not because I talked him into it.

Don't get me wrong - Michael has been shown to be very sweet and thoughtful, and he clearly loves Jane and her family, which is when I can root for him. But then he gets petty or pouty and then I think, "Jane, is this the kind of person you want to spend the rest of your life with and raise your baby with?"

I have issues with Rafael too, but I appreciate that his quest to win Jane back is about him telling her that he loves her, not giving her a list of reasons why she shouldn't be with Michael or telling her why Michael sucks.

I'm glad that Petra's pregnancy (and the baby's paternity) wasn't kept under wraps all season. She just took a pregnancy test in this episode and already Luisa and Rafael know. I hate when they drag out secrets like that.

I like the way that Rogelio and Xiomara's relationship is developing. She was able to be honest with him and tell him to quit acting like a baby about performing on a ship. When she realized everyone was applauding for the chocolate fountain, she tried to spare his feelings. When he suggested they not annul their marriage, she very wisely told him that they should annul it anyway and continue dating. She is being so mature and responsible, which is so great.

• Love 3
(edited)

Hated this episode, thought the "Bachelorette" premise was uninteresting, and I think Jane the Virgin is better than "I love both of you" or "I choose myself" - the twin sisters of triangle copouts. Yes, you have two leading men. Inevitably, one is going to work better than the other. The show should own it and also figure out where to go from there when the woman makes her choice. "In love with both" is a rip off. Yes, writers want to preserve every option but IMO that simply hurts the characters even if it enables plot. Lord knows enough shows have found themselves in this position for writers to figure out something other than an opt out as a resolution.

Edited by DianeDobbler