Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E19: A Mad Tea Party

Pet peeve: TV shows showing a Deaf person interpreting rather than hiring an interpreter for an event where Deaf people will be attending. I did see Bay interpreting for Daphne (and/or Melody?) at one point, but Daphne lipread Regina's entire speech from across the room to interpret it all for Melody. Lazy lazy writing. Completely unrealistic. Who is advising them these days?

They used to do it on that horrible Sue Thomas, FBEye show that was on a few years ago. The main character was Deaf enough to need her service dog on the job but she never needed an interpreter for anything and whenever there was a Deaf person involved in a case, SHE always did all the interpreting. Horrible--and this is getting almost as bad. I used to think they at least tried to make Deaf culture realistic and to bring it to the audience in a way that was enjoyable, but now I find myself dreading each episode because I know I will be disappointed.

I'm assuming Lily is just a teacher in the Deaf program and is helping get the entire thing off the ground. No way is Katherine qualified to teach Deaf students, nor is she qualified to teach ASL and interpreting to hearing students so I have no idea what she thinks she'll be doing there.

And that professor lady is ridiculous and clearly has some kind of social disorder that prevents her from filtering her thoughts. She, of all people, should know that meeting one hearing parent does not mean deafness is not genetic. Of course we know it isn't in this case, but has she never heard of recessive traits or of dominant traits that may or may not result in deafness? It can be in a family for generations without anyone knowing, like blue eyes. My husband has Waardenberg syndrome, which is dominant, and his family is all hearing. Fifty percent of people with WS are Deaf. The rest might just have a white patch of hair or one blue eye or just really bright blue eyes or prematurely gray hair and they have no idea they could just as easily have been born Deaf so...why take one look at a hearing parent and jump to such a conclusion. Again, very bad writing this week.

• Love 1

Oh yeah, about Daphne and Sharee - it's like the writers have totally forgotten that Daphne grew up in the poor section of town. She should not be so shocked and surprised that someone might not have all of the background and support needed for college! 

I kept screaming at the TV "why did you bring this character back on? Who is she again? Do we really need to see Sharee again? don't we have enough minor characters and major and minor storylines that this does not add to anything?" but no one listened to me. UGH!

I m so surprised if this baby lives or is even delivered. I thought for sure she would have miscarried by now. Well there is still time.  She seems like Toby's mother, I see no chemistry between them. He seems like a little boy and she seems like an old shrew. I don't by them together one bit. 

• Love 2

She seems like Toby's mother, I see no chemistry between them. He seems like a little boy and she seems like an old shrew.

Ha! So true. She seems at least a decade older than him, both visually and maturity-wise. I have no idea what an adult woman would find all that appealing about Toby and his lame-ass DJ-ing dreams.

Daphne lipread Regina's entire speech from across the room to interpret it all for Melody.

I think at this point it's pretty much canon that Daphne has magic powers.

• Love 1

I think that Lily has some sort of administrative duties in the program. She may also be an instructor, but they have never really established anything. If she had some sort of administrative role, it would make sens that Kathryn could take over some of it. Maybe take over the paperwork and let Melody handle the actual administrative duties. Even if Lily was an instructor, she was staying until the end of the semester, so they could easily find a replacement over the summer.

I wish Bay had called the police when Will was taken-it would have served Regina right for leaving her daughter out of the loop, plus would have been the rational, logical thing to do when some person who you know only because she came up to you at an art show steals your mom's boyfriend's son!

• Love 3

I wish Bay had called the police when Will was taken-it would have served Regina right for leaving her daughter out of the loop, plus would have been the rational, logical thing to do when some person who you know only because she came up to you at an art show steals your mom's boyfriend's son!

Yes - I couldn't believe she answered the call from Regina rather than ignoring it/quick hangup to call 911 instead! 

• Love 2

Kind of irritated that they totally bashed SLU (pronounced SLU not S. L. U.... no student or anyone who actually knows the school calls it that) just to give Daphne another savior story. It may be a private college, but there are tons of "scholarship kids" who are not treated any differently, no one cares who is paying what. Plus, since it is actually located near the inner city of St. Louis, it is extremely diverse. Way to give a great institution some totally false negative publicity in the middle of college recruiting season, ABC.

That's what I had originally thought as well. I actually looked up SLU's most recent demographics, though. It's 2/3 white and only 6% black/African-American. The neighborhood might be fairly diverse, but it's not really reflected in the school's demographics.

Toby and Lily do not look like a couple to me: he still looks like a teenager and she looks much older than that. Not believable at all.

I liked seeing Sharee and hope that she returns next season.

I wonder if the cops see the portrait that Bay did of Will's mother at her art show and it turns out that she is some major drug kingpin? Just hope that it doesn't lead to trouble for ex-felon Bay.