Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions: "The Post-Lotto Episodes Were the Best!"

My UO is that I don't think, long term, Dan and Roseanne did David any favors by allowing him to move in.  David got to comfortable with leaving everything up to Darlene, and if not Darlene than Roseanne.  When Dan finally pointed out to David that David had graduated high school, and should be thinking about his future which included moving out on his own, Dan also said something along the lines of never having to have this conversation with any of the other kids because they all wanted to get out of the house long before they were supposed to.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Bastet said:

Her initial reaction that that situation doesn't surprise me, without even getting into the "don't get above your raising" issue, given Darlene's age and the fact Becky had run off not too long before.  "Why do all my kids want to leave me [before the typical age kids leave]?" was but one of her reactions, resistance is a typical first response to the idea of your high-school-aged kid moving to another city, and they realize in fairly short order they should let her take this opportunity.  (And I love when Darlene says never mind, she's decided not to go, and Roseanne says, "Staying here against her will is one thing.  But staying here because she wants to - that's sick.")

But then was constantly saying that all she wanted for her kids is that they be happy and "out of this house" and happy wasn't really all that important. 

• Love 1

I didn't think this was an unpopular opinion, but yeah, I really like sexed up granny (now great-granny) Bev. It's hilarious. I loved it when it was revealed she broke her hip having sex with her boyfriend in season 6, and I love it being revealed that she's the tramp of her retirement home. It's a call back to Jackie, and it's a reminder that Bev is a blend of both Jackie and Roseanne, just with the veneer of an uptight 1950's mother persona.

On a broader historical context, Bev is part of that generation of women who were told that they couldn't enjoy sex, and that all they needed to be were dutiful wives and mothers and obey all social conventions. Roseanne and Jackie both enjoyed the fruits of the Sexual Revolution that occurred when they were teenagers, and it was sweet to see Bev actually get to indulge in her own Sexual Revolution late in life. (Although at this rate, Estelle might wind up to 100 and therefore her 60's will only at 3/5's of her life.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 5

I agree on Bev's sexed-up senior years, but I was a bit turned off my the Gonorrhea thing.  I wish they would've just kicked her out of the retirement home "for being too disruptive to the peace and tranquility promised to the residents" or something like that.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, CelticBlackCat said:

I agree on Bev's sexed-up senior years, but I was a bit turned off my the Gonorrhea thing.  I wish they would've just kicked her out of the retirement home "for being too disruptive to the peace and tranquility promised to the residents" or something like that.

AARP says it's a thing, though:  https://www.aarp.org/health/conditions-treatments/info-2017/std-exposure-rises-older-adults-fd.html

• Love 1
On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 12:16 AM, AnnieBeez said:

They could have done it like they did on Everyone Loves Raymond. Marie was being obnoxious with everyone, and Frank was no better. It does remind me a little of my mother. She wanted to move in with me and my husband after we got married. She also wanted my brother to move in also, so we could take care of the both of them, and for us to get rid of our two cats because she is allergic to cats. She was not happy about it when I said no. We probably would have ended up divorce within a year, or I would have ended up in the state mental hospital or the state women prison within the first year.

On 4/18/2018 at 8:59 PM, TigerLynx said:

My UO is that I don't think, long term, Dan and Roseanne did David any favors by allowing him to move in.  David got to comfortable with leaving everything up to Darlene, and if not Darlene than Roseanne. 

And that really, really seems to inform how David is an adult- pretty spineless and kind of willing to bend with the wind. Blue says to get a divorce, so he gets divorce...until Darlene tells him not to. He seems to take whatever seems to be the easiest route at the moment. Again, why I'm not surprised David is like what he's like.

• Love 2

And that really, really seems to inform how David is an adult- pretty spineless and kind of willing to bend with the wind. Blue says to get a divorce, so he gets divorce...until Darlene tells him not to. He seems to take whatever seems to be the easiest route at the moment. Again, why I'm not surprised David is like what he's like.

If you want to be generous to David, you could say that his relative spinelessness was probably the result of living with an abusive mother who would scream and yell at him about his utter worthlessness when he did things that displeased her.   

• Love 6

I think Roseanne was a better actress than she was given credit for on the original version of the show, especially during the middle seasons. Granted, playing a character based on yourself presumably reduces the difficulty level, but it's an accomplishment to seem so relaxed and natural in front of a television camera. Her lines sound like verbalized thought, and her silent reactions to other characters can be quite powerful--I think of her shifts in expression as Darlene reads "To Whom it Concerns" in Brain-Dead Poets Society, and the precise moment she figures out her daughters have scammed her at the beauty parlor on Mother's Day in "Don't Make Me Over." The latter scene, and the follow-up where she collapses in Dan's arms and asks, "Why did they have to do that today?" I've always found particularly affecting. 

• Love 7
20 hours ago, PoshSprinkles said:

A motorcycle crash would make sense and "go" with the character. 

I like this idea.

1 hour ago, ThatsDarling said:

I think Roseanne was a better actress than she was given credit for on the original version of the show, especially during the middle seasons. Granted, playing a character based on yourself presumably reduces the difficulty level, but it's an accomplishment to seem so relaxed and natural in front of a television camera. Her lines sound like verbalized thought, and her silent reactions to other characters can be quite powerful--I think of her shifts in expression as Darlene reads "To Whom it Concerns" in Brain-Dead Poets Society, and the precise moment she figures out her daughters have scammed her at the beauty parlor on Mother's Day in "Don't Make Me Over." The latter scene, and the follow-up where she collapses in Dan's arms and asks, "Why did they have to do that today?" I've always found particularly affecting. 

Every time I see that episode, I find myself hoping for a different ending.  I want Becky and Darlene to not screw up, not let Roseanne realize what's really going on, forget about the concert, and let Roseanne believe they really did want to do something nice for her.  Dan was really great in that episode.

I've heard various reasons for why Crystal was written out, but I think it was a dumb thing to do.  Jackie started out as single, but also happy and independent.  Crystal was the one who dated jerks, and was a doormat for men.  Those characteristics eventually got transferred to Jackie along with every wacky thing the writers could come up with.

• Love 6

I'm only watching for the supporting cast.  I don't like Roseanne, the actress or the character, at all anymore.

And I'm basically watching out of nostalgia. I'm not really that happy with the reboot. But it's nice to see the old gang again. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

I'm only watching for the supporting cast.  I don't like Roseanne, the actress or the character, at all anymore.

And I'm basically watching out of nostalgia. I'm not really that happy with the reboot. But it's nice to see the old gang again. 

I would have to agree. I'm not a big fan of Roseanne herself. I like Dan, Jackie, Becky, Darlene, and even the new kid Mark more

• Love 1

Since there were those in the episode thread saying they were enjoying the show less and less, I guess my UO (here at least, not ratings wise), is that I'm enjoying the show more and more. Last night's episode was the best one yet, IMO.

• Love 3
On 5/2/2018 at 9:16 AM, UYI said:

Since there were those in the episode thread saying they were enjoying the show less and less, I guess my UO (here at least, not ratings wise), is that I'm enjoying the show more and more. Last night's episode was the best one yet, IMO.

I'm with you in your UO.  I laughed a lot during "No Country for Old Women" and I love Roseanne, faults and all, and believe she's gotten more into her acting groove now.  I really don't care if Jackie plays out as Wacky Jackie, Gilligan or sedate, normal (for this show) Jackie, I love her and Laurie Metcalf as well.

• Love 5

I think my problem with Wacky Jackie is that I've seen Laurie Metcalf in other roles at this point and I know she can make the entire show if they let her off the leash. 

Here's an unpopular opinion. That Roseanne the character is a Trump fan doesn't offend or bother me. To me it makes sense for the character. I might not like it in real life, and I really don't get Roseanne Barr's affection for Trump in real life, but in context of the show, it makes sense and I think they handle it well. 

Next unpopular opinion? I dislike that Mark's gender ambiguity is not causing any sort of backlash in a blue collar town. I'm not asking to see a nine year old get a beat down, but I can see the family catching some flak about it.

• Love 5

That Roseanne the character is a Trump fan doesn't bother me, either.  But that Roseanne the person is an Alex Jones fan/believer as well as a Trump fan bothers me tremendously. 

• Love 5

I think of her shifts in expression as Darlene reads "To Whom it Concerns" in Brain-Dead Poets Society, and the precise moment she figures out her daughters have scammed her at the beauty parlor on Mother's Day in "Don't Make Me Over." The latter scene, and the follow-up where she collapses in Dan's arms and asks, "Why did they have to do that today?" I've always found particularly affecting. 

I agree with you. There were two times that I remember Roseanne actually crying and this was one (the second was after she knocked her tooth out and was up in Darlene's room crying because she left. 

A couple more striking episodes were the two when Jackie was beaten by Fisher (and I watch that every single time it's on and that shift in John Goodman's face after Roseanne says "Fisher beat the crap outta her" is the most intense look I've seen. I also liked Roseanne in the episode where her dad dies and she goes in and reads the note to her dad. 

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

I also liked Roseanne in the episode where her dad dies and she goes in and reads the note to her dad. 

When she really connects to the material, Roseanne Barr's lack of acting training doesn't matter one bit.  That's a great example of an emotional scene she nails.  Reading the letter, with all the anger and pain, and then saying, "Thank you for your humor.  I love you, good-bye," and running her hand along the coffin before walking out.

• Love 8

I think that's the scene that won Roseanne her Emmy.

IMO, the scene where Roseanne presents Leon with the super gay wedding (with singing Liza Minnelli impersonators, etc.), is one of the most underrated comic moments of the series, since it wasn't until season 8. 

• Love 2

This is why I wish Roseanne Barr had taken a few guest shots in dramas because she's quite good in the dramatic moments (when she's crying after finding out her daughters were just trying to get something out of her on Mother's Day, tore at me.. and I couldn't imagine ever doing that to my mom.. and I understood Dan's anger at them as well) of the show.  It's often said it's easier for a comedic actor to act in a drama, but it's ten times harder to be funny.  

• Love 1
12 hours ago, UYI said:

I think that's the scene that won Roseanne her Emmy.

IMO, the scene where Roseanne presents Leon with the super gay wedding (with singing Liza Minnelli impersonators, etc.), is one of the most underrated comic moments of the series, since it wasn't until season 8. 

"They will NEVER stop making Pop Tarts!!"

• Love 3