Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E08: Famous Dances

• Start Topic

Olivia Newton-John to Guest Judge

The remaining nine celebrities return to their original professional dance partners to tackle “Famous Dances Night” on MONDAY, OCTOBER 19 (8:00-10:01 p.m., ET) on ABC’s “Dancing with the Stars.” Special guest Olivia Newton-John will join Julianne Hough, Carrie Ann Inaba and Bruno Tonioli at the judges’ desk to see how the couples re-create iconic dance routines from movies and music videos. One couple will be eliminated at the end of the night based on the lowest combined judges’ scores and viewer’s votes from the “Switch Up” and “Most Memorable Year” performances.

Couples Will Re-create the Below Dances from Movies and Music Videos:

Alek Skarlatos & Lindsay Arnold – “Jailhouse Rock”from Jailhouse Rock

Alexa PenaVega & Mark Ballas – “I’m A Slave 4 U” by Britney Spears

Andy Grammer & Allison Holker – “Good Morning” from Singing In The Rain

Bindi Irwin & Derek Hough – “(I’ve Had) The Time of My Life” from Dirty Dancing

Carlos PenaVega & Witney Carson – “Pony” from Magic Mike

Hayes Grier & Emma Slater – “You’re The One That I Want” from Grease

Nick Carter & Sharna Burgess – “You Should Be Dancing” from Saturday Night Fever

Paula Deen & Louis van Amstel – “Vogue” by Madonna

Tamar Braxton & Valentin Chmerkovskiy – “Rhythm Nation” by Janet Jackson

Good Lord, since when does anything by Britney Spears, Madonna or Janet Jackson qualify as a "famous" dance? Or a striptease from Magic Mike?

Well to be fair when I saw all of those names I knew exactly what dances were being referred to without any other information. I would say that counts as "famous". They do seem to skew pretty 90s (except for Magic Mike) so I was a barely 20s person then. I'm guessing if you were any older than that in the 90s these wouldn't be something that was super memorable.
  • Love 3

Well to be fair when I saw all of those names I knew exactly what dances were being referred to without any other information. I would say that counts as "famous". They do seem to skew pretty 90s (except for Magic Mike) so I was a barely 20s person then. I'm guessing if you were any older than that in the 90s these wouldn't be something that was super memorable.

Actually, more than half of those dances come from before the 90s.  Dirty Dancing was more than 30 years ago, Grease was from about 1978, if I remember correctly, Saturday Night Fever came out in about the same year as GreaseJailhouse Rock was 50s/60s Elvis, and Singing in the Rain came out in 1952.  That doesn't exactly "skew pretty 90s" to me.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 5

I'm the same age and I did like Madonna and Janet Jackson, but I wouldn't consider their dances "iconic." I guess dwts has a different definition of the word. Elvis and Fred Astaire, etc. were before my time, but I do know their iconic dances. Derek's version of "Dirty Dancing" should be good. 

• Love 2

I can see how Vogue and Rhythm Nation specifically were iconic videos/dances. The Britney one though was basically belly dancing with a snake.

Surprised there's no Michael Jackson.

• Love 2

I agree Michael Jackson's dances like Thriller and Beat It were definitely memorable. Whenever I think of Madonna, I think of the cheesy "Like a Virgin" video that has been parodied 16 million times, LOL. Britney isn't memorable on any level, ugh.

• Love 1

When I think of Vogue, I think of when Carson Kressley danced to it with Anna, with backup from Sharna and whoever the heck else was in the troupe at the time.

Thats kind of why I'm glad Paula got it. She'll sell the heck out of it, and, assuming she's the one to go tonight, it'll be a fun one for her to go out on provided Louis doesn't suck the fun out of it.

Oh god no.  Dirty grandma doing vogue poses.  Hand me my rifle.  This is going to be awful but I see why Louis chose it; it does not require dancing.  I am kind of looking forward to the train wreck aspect, I have to admit.  

• Love 4

Actually, more than half of those dances come from before the 90s.  Dirty Dancing was more than 30 years ago, Grease was from about 1978, if I remember correctly, Saturday Night Fever came out in about the same year as GreaseJailhouse Rock was 50s/60s Elvis, and Singing in the Rain came out in 1952.  That doesn't exactly "skew pretty 90s" to me.

I was only talking about Madonna, Britney, & Janet Jackson. :)

Britney's VMA performance is memorable for a large chunk of people. And so what if it's Belly dancing? I don't get the "just". Belly dancing is hard and gorgeous. But Britney's dance isn't Belly dancing. It just an element of it. And Britney also only had the snake for a short section of the dance. It's from 2001 so that helps make the dance selection quite diverse in time span. 

Edited by tarotx
  • Love 7

Vogue is an iconic dance. I was young when it came out, but the video was big in popular culture and still randomly pops up today. I really liked Madonna in elementary school though (loved Like a Prayer) so YMMV. I hope they have real vogue dancers in the background.

I watched Britney's VMA awards performance and it is good dancing, IMO. The dance was more than just belly dancing, though it was prominent throughout the performance. Say what you want about Britney's singing, but she knew how to dance and was/is a good performer. 

I agree "Pony" is random. I just think of Parks and Recreation when Ginuwine gets mentioned in any context. Lil' Sebastian will always be his pony!

Edited by Cocka doodle dont
  • Love 8

I think Andy made a great Don Lockwood. But I also think Allison did not make a great Debbie Reynolds. She was too intense, like always. Kathy Seldon was adorable, not intense.

I'm happy for Andy, though.

Did Carrie Ann just call what Andy and Allison did a 'tap routine.'

From somewhere deep inside the celebriquarium I can hear Alfonso scream in protest.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 4

Why did they give the 17 year old Dirty Dancing? What a waste. And, I hope to never see Bindi and Derek crawling on the floor again. I think they just ruined that entire scene for me forever.

Edited by kayma
  • Love 4

Why did they give the 17 year old Dirty Dancing?

Because they couldn't give the 17 year old the super sexual dance where she could play with the snake.

I like Dirty Dancing. I like when DWTS does Dirty Dancing. It was fun the first time. It was meaningful when they did it as a tribute to Patrick Swayze after he died. But this is the third time we've seen this dance. Enough is enough. If I see it on this show again it'll be too soon.

Also, Bindi got off lightly by having that as her rumba ... because that wasn't a rumba.

I was a little scared that Derek was going to drop her, though. I don't think I've ever seen him shake like that, and I don't think it's because Bindi is heavy.

• Love 8

No. She was saying how it must have been hard to translate what was originally a tap routine into the jazz. 

Thanks, my stream was in and out so I was a little confused :)

How could Alexa get 7s for that, when that Instagram kid got all 8s? I'm not a dancer, but... what?

I feel like they were being ridiculously harsh on her. I don't get it.

• Love 3

Well, I'm done. That wasn't a rumba, that wasn't close to a rumba. There was no rumba content in there to speak off. There were lifts, multiple lifts. How many times have we seen people get deductions for even the most minor of lifts? Or an accidental lift? Yet they throw tens up at a dance that blatantly ignored the dance style and broke the rules? It's already happened this season Please.

• Love 11

Why am  I not surprised that Derek and Bindi would get a perfect score this week. The show is determined to make sure she makes the finals and she will. I honestly don't watch the show any more just the dances afterwards. DWTS is so predictable you can almost predict the finalist from the 1st three episodes. I'm thinking 2 out of the 3 finalist will be Bindi and Nick not sure about the 3rd but it may be Carlos. I think they are going to push the married couple competing against each other and long as they can and keep the young guy in for as long as possible to pull the young viewers (if they care) too.

But have no doubt a lot more PERFECT scores are on the horizon for Bindi!

• Love 2

I thought Carlos acted like such a douche nozzle when he said he and Alexa were on top, she said, "No, I'm on top!" and he walked away leaving her standing there calling after him.  I felt so bad for her.  Clearly he is the alpha in that marriage, and he does not seem to like it if she's doing better than he is.

• Love 7

It isn't on here in PST yet.  Keep the posts coming, so I know where to FF and thank you!  Not much talk on Paula's vogue.  I thought it would garner more comments.  So was it horrible?  What were her scores.  I have a morbid curiosity and I want her gone.  :>)

Of course the alpha male would get a male stripper dance as his rumba. Sigh.

I'm ashamed to say that I liked it (as a performance, not as a rumba, and not really as an iconic dance), but I'm shallow and mostly just wanted Artem to keep going.

• Love 2

Carlos did a great job performing a dance that he clearly was not comfortable with at the beginning.  Why would they assign him a dance that was not a dance that had a partner?  I just found it to be an odd choice all around.

But he sure is hot!  And he and Alexa are just adorable together.

Edited by smiley13
  • Love 3

I'm ashamed to say that I liked it (as a performance, not as a rumba, and not really as an iconic dance), but I'm shallow and mostly just wanted Artem to keep going.

I'm ashamed to say that I'm loving the entire evening. It's a pop culture lover's dream night. Schmaltzy 80s nostalgia, check. Ridiculous, cheesy interpretations of Madonna, check. OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN, check.

I can't wait for the Saturday Night Fever interpretation.

They should just have an entire show of celebrities interpreting dances, kind of like lip-sync battle. 

And "Paula Deen knows something about splicing the beats". Tom Bergeron is the best. 

• Love 6

The only good thing about Nick's dance was Sharna's bad wig which covered up her even worse real hair, lol.  

The judges are just throwing tens around.  A ten used to mean something really awesome and amazing (had to thrown that in for Leah)!

• Love 5

I think the pros that chose to stick to a ballroom dance (Mark/Sharna/Witney/Derek) had a harder time than those that didn't. It seems like a cop out to say that you're just recreating a famous dance and call it jazz. (I'm looking at you, Allison.) Of the pros that tried to fit their iconic dance into a ballroom theme, Sharna definitely won the night.

I was afraid of Saturday Night Fever, because disco on DWTS is always really schmaltzy and ... not good (I'm looking at you, Anna and Tony). But I think Sharna did a great job making it a disco samba and I think Nick killed it, even if he wasn't as clean as Carrie Ann would have liked.

I'm ashamed to say that I'm loving the entire evening. It's a pop culture lover's dream night. Schmaltzy 80s nostalgia, check. Ridiculous, cheesy interpretations of Madonna, check. OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN, check.

I'm having fun, but I would have liked tonight so much better if they had either taken jazz off the table and forced everyone to make it into a "ballroom" dance or just said "eh, whatever ... go to town, just recreate a famous dance".

• Love 11

Nick Carter isn't even John Travolta now (or I guess Michael is his last dancing), let alone Travolta in SNF. The band slaughtered "You Should Be Dancing" - I guess they're paying Olivia enough to buy a vat of booze to drink that away. Wish I'd been part of the amazing drinking game.

I love "rococo lampshade on wheels."

• Love 1

Im not sure if Alek will go home tonight but I think next week may be it for him. He was definitely underscored last week in my opinion tonight he did ok but not stellar and I just dont think he has the fanbase to go all the way.

If I were in jeopardy with Paula ... I'd probably feel pretty confident. Why was Alexa crying before the results were announced?

Either they're still trying to milk the one-part-of-the-married-couple in jeopardy thing or Alexa really isn't pulling the votes. Tough coming from a perfect score to being in "jeopardy".

Certainly she was told that the bottom 2 are not necessarily the bottom two.  We have heard that line enough.  It is easier to tell if you are going when you see who you is standing next to you.  Bye Paula!