Type keyword(s) to search

30 For 30 - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 6/14/2020 at 10:24 PM, Ottis said:

After the wonderfulness of The Last Dance, two completely lacking 30 on 30s in a row.

The Last Dance was a joke, too.  Jordan's entire career doesn't need 10 hours, let alone one season.  And giving him the 'final say' or however you want to describe it was completely disingenuous. Not quite as bad as the Miami hack who made "Duh Yoo", but it's close.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I watched 42 to 1, Buster Douglas’ fight with Mike Tyson.  I don’t like or watch boxing, but this was very interesting to me.  Seeing Buster back at his old gym teaching young kids how to box was incredibly sweet.  

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I finished watching Part 2 of “Lance” and I thought the doc was well done. I didn’t know much beforehand about Lance’s early life or his early career and it was all very interesting. In the end, I didn’t change my negative opinion of Armstrong, but I feel I’m better informed. He’s a superb athlete, ferociously driven, and a complete asshole of a human being who hurt and let down a lot of people

• Like 1
  • Love 3
On 7/29/2020 at 5:38 AM, Tachi Rocinante said:

The Last Dance was a joke, too.  Jordan's entire career doesn't need 10 hours, let alone one season.  And giving him the 'final say' or however you want to describe it was completely disingenuous. Not quite as bad as the Miami hack who made "Duh Yoo", but it's close.

I'm not an NBA fan, but I found The Last Dance fascinating due to info about the league, other teams and Jordan's team. That era was the last time I watched the NBA. I saw the Bad Boys of Detroit, Larry Bird's Celtics, the Knicks and I knew quite a bit about Reggie Miller's Pacers. All of those stories were fascinating, as well as the fact that Jordan was a stone cold killer on the floor. Today he would average in the mid 40s or higher. They could have reduce it by a couple of episodes, but I really enjoyed it.

• Love 6

New episode this week!

Al Davis vs. The NFL

The story of the long-running feud between Raiders owner Al Davis and NFL commissioner Pete Rozelle.

Promo:

Original air date: 2/4/21

Of note: ESPN Documentary ‘Al Davis Vs The NFL’ Uses Deepfake Technology To Bring Late Raiders Owner Back To Life

One of the first things you’ll notice in director Ken Rodgers’ newest ESPN 30 For 30 documentary Al Davis vs The NFL, which premieres Thursday on the network, is animated-looking, almost CGI versions of the late Raiders owner and late former NFL commissioner Pete Rozelle and their dialogue which play such an important role in the roughly 75-minute film’s narrative structure.

Instead of using secondary and tertiary characters to tell the story of the decades-long history of Davis rise to American Football League commissioner to Raiders owner to a longtime NFL nemesis and adversary who sued the league to move the franchise from Oakland to Los Angeles in the 1980s and won against Rozelle, Rodgers wanted the duo to speak for themselves. Rodgers, an NFL Films director and the longtime showrunner for HBO’s groundbreaking Hard Knocks football preseason series, spent much of 2020 trying to bring this deepfake idea to fruition.

“The creation of Al and Pete in this virtual, digital world gave us new opportunities that, in my knowledge, had not and still have not been used in sports documentaries until this film,” Rodgers said. “So we took a leap of faith that this was an opportunity to allow Al and Pete to tell their own story, and it was quite an undertaking.”

With permission from the Raiders and the NFL to use Allegiant ALGT +2.1% Stadium, their new Las Vegas home, as a backdrop, Rodgers first directed stand-in actors who were the same build, height and weight as Davis and Rozelle were when they were alive. Prosthetics then had to be made for their heads and necklines.

Producers Paul Camarata and Ryan Kelly wrote the dialogue spoken by the two actors throughout the film, which was based on transcripts and historical records into how Davis and Rozelle felt about these situations and each other at the height of their very public hostilities in an accurate way. Finally, the film hired impressionists to mimic Davis and Rozelle’s voices, which were recorded in booths away from the documentary shooting.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1
(edited)

The Al Davis doc was pretty interesting. I think I was aware of him back when he owned the Raiders, but I didn't know all the details. That Deepfake technology they used was pretty weird and indeed looked pretty fake, so it was kind of unsettling.

Edited by DanaK
  • Love 1

I’ve watched the first two.  Wow does Keith seem jealous that Gary Carter is in the HOF and he isn’t.  He’s coming off as quite a petty jerk IMO.  Am I supposed to think Keith had the moral high ground because he didn’t like to take curtain calls after HR’s and Gary did?  Petty jerk.

• Love 1

I could have done with less of Dykstra (though he did make a good observation with his shock over the fact that he outlived Gary Carter) and more of Haji, Keith's cat.  His appearances reminded me of how my cat will suddenly appear on the kitchen table when I answer that phone. 

I enjoyed this documentary even though I didn't care much for their team at the time.  Though as part of my usual weirdness in postseason rooting, I pulled for them against the Astros.  I think I was about as sick of Mike Scott as they were, especially hearing about the division-clinching no-hitter every five minutes.  I saw the Mets in person that season (with some obnoxious fans running from section to section to taunt us all until security caught on).  Scorebook says Hernandez had the big hit and Gary Carter wasn't playing, so maybe it was from when he was injured--but Ed Hearn from the doc wasn't the one catching.

It was interesting learning how the misguided Frank Cashen wound up trading Mitchell, which I would greatly appreciate a few months later when San Diego traded him (it was tough for him to play back in his hometown).  My mom was always a big fan of Kevin as well.

• Love 1

Next 30 for 30 doc per the Futon Critic http://thefutoncritic.com/news/2022/02/23/new-espn-films-30-for-30-documentary-shark-to-focus-on-golfing-legend-greg-norman-to-premiere-april-5-118112/20220223espn01/

ESPN will debut the next installment in the Peabody and Emmy award-winning 30 for 30 series, "Shark," on April 5. Directed by Jason Hehir ("The Last Dance") and Thomas Odelfelt, the documentary examines the legendary career of professional golfer Greg Norman, and how it was shaped by one stunning day at the Masters Tournament in 1996. "Shark" will premiere April 5 at 8:00 p.m. ET on ESPN. The film will be made available on ESPN+ immediately after its premiere, along with the rest of the 30 for 30 library.

Also, a previous 30 for 30 doc that wasn't posted here: "The Tuck Rule", about one of the most controversial plays in sports. It was broadcast on ESPN on Feb 6 http://thefutoncritic.com/news/2022/01/19/espn-films-latest-30-for-30-documentary-the-tuck-rule-to-premiere-february-6-3211/20220119espn01/

Edited by DanaK
  • Useful 2
5 hours ago, DanaK said:

3 part “Dream On” about the creation of the WNBA, premieres Wednesday June 15, 8-11pm ET. It will stream the same night on ESPN+

I was confused about the topic. The subject is about the journey of the 1996 Women's Olympic Basketball Team http://thefutoncritic.com/news/2022/06/06/espn-films-latest-30-for-30-dream-on-chronicling-the-journey-of-the-1996-womens-olympic-basketball-team-premieres-june-15-at-8-pm-et-932310/20220606espn01/

On 6/6/2022 at 1:54 PM, DanaK said:

The Woman's Basketball Team 30 for 30 was excellent. Rebecca Lobo posted on Twitter that she had no idea about her teammates struggles. My only problem was that I couldn't read the updates at the end. Someone needs to do a 30 for 30 on the rivalry between UConn and Tennessee women's basketball.

1 hour ago, kathyk24 said:

The Woman's Basketball Team 30 for 30 was excellent. Rebecca Lobo posted on Twitter that she had no idea about her teammates struggles. My only problem was that I couldn't read the updates at the end. Someone needs to do a 30 for 30 on the rivalry between UConn and Tennessee women's basketball.

1. The WNBA celebrated its 25th season in 2021. It’s the longest running women’s professional sports league in the United StateS. Eleven of the 12 women on the 96 team went on to have careers in the WNBA

2. Tara VanDerveer and six players have been enshrined in the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame. VanDerveer returned to her coaching job at Stanford days after the gold medal game. In 2021, she led the Cardinal to its third national championship. Her staff included assistant coach Katy Steding

3. Jennifer Azzi came out publicly in 2016 while coaching at the University of San Francisco. She became one of the first openly gay women’s basketball head coaches in Division I

4. Nikki McCray and her husband Thomas have been married for 20 years. In October 2021, McCray stepped down as head coach of Mississippi State for health reasons

5. Ruthie Bolton left her abusive marriage in 2002. She is now a motivational speaker and advocate for victims of domestic violence

6. Teresa Edwards won her fourth gold medal in 2000. She works as a teacher and high school coach in New York City

7. Lisa Leslie played 12 seasons in the WNBA, winning the league’s MVP award three times. She is a coach, television analyst, and part owner of the Los Angeles Sparks

8. Katrina McClain is a high school coach in her home town of Charleston, South Carolina

9. Rebecca Lobo has been a women’s basketball analyst and reporter for ESPN since 2004

10. Sheryl Swoopes played 12 seasons in the WNBA and was a three time MVP. She currently works as a product manager for Nike

11. Carla McGhee works in brand planning and management for Converse. She also trains young players in the Atlanta area

12. Venus Lacy works with people with disabilities in Chattanooga and is also a high school coach. She still lives with amnesia as a result of the accident. Lacy’s son Alex continues to help his mom through her memory loss

13. Dawn Staley has been the head coach at South Carolina since 2008. In 2022, she led the Gamecocks to their second national championship in six seasons. Staley became the first Black coach, male or female, to win multiple division titles. As head coach at the Tokyo Games in 2021, Staley led the U.S. Women to an Olympic gold medal

14. The U.S. Olympic Women’s Basketball team has won seven consecutive gold medals. It all began in 1996

• Love 1
3 hours ago, DanaK said:

1. The WNBA celebrated its 25th season in 2021. It’s the longest running women’s professional sports league in the United StateS. Eleven of the 12 women on the 96 team went on to have careers in the WNBA

2. Tara VanDerveer and six players have been enshrined in the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame. VanDerveer returned to her coaching job at Stanford days after the gold medal game. In 2021, she led the Cardinal to its third national championship. Her staff included assistant coach Katy Steding

3. Jennifer Azzi came out publicly in 2016 while coaching at the University of San Francisco. She became one of the first openly gay women’s basketball head coaches in Division I

4. Nikki McCray and her husband Thomas have been married for 20 years. In October 2021, McCray stepped down as head coach of Mississippi State for health reasons

5. Ruthie Bolton left her abusive marriage in 2002. She is now a motivational speaker and advocate for victims of domestic violence

6. Teresa Edwards won her fourth gold medal in 2000. She works as a teacher and high school coach in New York City

7. Lisa Leslie played 12 seasons in the WNBA, winning the league’s MVP award three times. She is a coach, television analyst, and part owner of the Los Angeles Sparks

8. Katrina McClain is a high school coach in her home town of Charleston, South Carolina

9. Rebecca Lobo has been a women’s basketball analyst and reporter for ESPN since 2004

10. Sheryl Swoopes played 12 seasons in the WNBA and was a three time MVP. She currently works as a product manager for Nike

11. Carla McGhee works in brand planning and management for Converse. She also trains young players in the Atlanta area

12. Venus Lacy works with people with disabilities in Chattanooga and is also a high school coach. She still lives with amnesia as a result of the accident. Lacy’s son Alex continues to help his mom through her memory loss

13. Dawn Staley has been the head coach at South Carolina since 2008. In 2022, she led the Gamecocks to their second national championship in six seasons. Staley became the first Black coach, male or female, to win multiple division titles. As head coach at the Tokyo Games in 2021, Staley led the U.S. Women to an Olympic gold medal

14. The U.S. Olympic Women’s Basketball team has won seven consecutive gold medals. It all began in 1996

Thank You. It's amazing that Carla and Venus survived such terrible accidents.

Next 30 for 30 doc: "Jeanette Lee Vs." about the billiards player nicknamed "Black Widow", who at her peak became one of the most recognizable figures in sports. Premieres December 13 at 8pm ET on ESPN and will be made available for streaming on ESPN+ immediately after the premiere

Press release http://thefutoncritic.com/news/2022/11/10/espn-films-latest-30-for-30-jeanette-lee-vs-about-the-black-widow-of-billiards-premieres-december-13-at-8-pm-et-607315/20221110espn01/

• Love 1

Stumbled upon "Mike and the Mad Dog." I feel like someone just told me the U.S. had another civil war that I had never heard of. I grew up in Northern Virginia in the 70s and 80s, was very wired into media like the WaPo (I knew Tony and Mike as sportswriters), as well as other area newspapers. Howard Stern was local. Greaseman was local. I watched late night talk shows. I have never heard of Mike and Mad Dog or their show until now. Never. Ever. It's jaw dropping to me that they were apparently A Thing.

And *now* I better understand why Russo is on First Take, and why they all defer to him. He showed up one day and I had no idea. 

Sheesh. I need to lie down.

• Love 1

Next 30 for 30 doc is the 2-part doc "The American Gladiators Documentary". It will be broadcast on ESPN on Tuesday May 30 at 8:30pm ET and Wednesday May 31 at 9pm ET and be available on ESPN+ immediately after its debut

Synopsis: "The film takes an unconventional approach to the epic tale of the famed reality-competition show. What begins as a traditional sports documentary soon gives way to bigger themes of greed, divergent narratives, and ultimately questions how history itself is written."

Press release and trailer http://thefutoncritic.com/news/2023/04/21/espn-films-latest-30-for-30-the-american-gladiators-documentary-about-reality-competition-series-premieres-may-30-and-31-731311/20230421espn01/

(edited)

Next doc is in June with 4-parter "The Luckiest Guy in the World" about NBA Hall of Famer Bill Walton. Parts 1 & 2 will be shown on ESPN on Tuesday June 6 at 8pm ET and Parts 3 & 4 will be shown on Tuesday June 13 at 8pm ET. The series will premiere on streaming service ESPN+ immediately after the linear premiere. Also, a companion podcast starting May 8

Press release http://thefutoncritic.com/news/2023/05/02/espn-films-latest-30-for-30-the-luckiest-guy-in-the-world-about-nba-hall-of-famer-bill-walton-premieres-june-6-and-13-302514/20230502espn01/

Edited by DanaK
(edited)
1 hour ago, DanaK said:

Next doc is in June with 4-parter "The Luckiest Guy in the World" about NBA Hall of Famer Bill Walton. Parts 1 & 2 will be shown on ESPN on Tuesday June 6 at 8pm ET and Parts 3 & 4 will be shown on Tuesday June 13 at 8pm ET. The series will premiere on streaming service ESPN+ immediately after the linear premiere. Also, a companion podcast starting May 8

Press release http://thefutoncritic.com/news/2023/05/02/espn-films-latest-30-for-30-the-luckiest-guy-in-the-world-about-nba-hall-of-famer-bill-walton-premieres-june-6-and-13-302514/20230502espn01/

I guess it being the Basketball, not NBA Hall made him lucky because U.C.L.A accomplishments were counted 

Edited by Raja

Did anyone watch the American Gladiators episodes?  The first part was OK, getting into a little bit of how low budget and unsafe the production was.  The second part just seemed to devolve into some sort of naval gazing exercise about how everyone hates everyone else but is too afraid to admit it on the record. 

They could have tightened the whole thing up into a single 2 hour episode.  If it were a channel other than ESPN I'd wonder if the bloat was due to needing to fill airtime cheaply due to the current every other decade writer's strike (ironic since that was the background for both renditions of AG)

• Like 1
On 6/1/2023 at 9:50 PM, peppergal said:

Did anyone watch the American Gladiators episodes?  The first part was OK, getting into a little bit of how low budget and unsafe the production was.  The second part just seemed to devolve into some sort of naval gazing exercise about how everyone hates everyone else but is too afraid to admit it on the record. 

They could have tightened the whole thing up into a single 2 hour episode.  If it were a channel other than ESPN I'd wonder if the bloat was due to needing to fill airtime cheaply due to the current every other decade writer's strike (ironic since that was the background for both renditions of AG)

Agreed. They were basically two different documentaries - the first part on the show itself (which I wish went into a little more depth) and the second was more like a mystery doc (which I think was mostly unnecessary) to answer the question "Who is Apache Dann Carr"?  By the end I didn't really care.  I would have more preferred a doc only about the show and only a passing mention to Carr and Johnny Ferraro the Elvis impersonator.  I'm guessing the director met Johnny, thought he was a character and built the whole doc around him, but unfortunately, he's just not that interesting.

The Walton doc has been pretty good so far. I didn't know there was such animosity toward Walton when he first got to Portland.

On 6/1/2023 at 9:50 PM, peppergal said:

I thought it was pretty interesting and I don’t think I ever watched the show, though I was somewhat aware of it. The director was clearly giddy when he finally got to interview Dann Carr. He handled Johnny kind of weird but I guess the guy had such an aura of legend and mystery about him, he wanted to puncture it