Type keyword(s) to search

Gilmore Girls May Get Revived On Netflix?

• Start Topic

The Lorelai/Rory relationship was done and there was nothing left to explore at the end of S7

Do you mean that Rory will gracefully accept any setbacks she may receive in her twenties (romantic, career-wise, whatever) and not blame her mother?

Yeah, that's it. Wrap it up, their relationship will be static for the rest of their lives. Also it's too bad that Rory, whose story is the most unfinished, will be back.

Wow. Sorry that my opinion apparently deserves such a harsh response. I'll get right back to polishing Rory's halo. And merry x-mas to you.

Wow. Sorry that my opinion apparently deserves such a harsh response. I'll get right back to polishing Rory's halo. And merry x-mas to you.

I don't think she has a halo. Just pointing out that one of the Gilmore girls in, you know, Gilmore Girls is kind of important to the story.

I don't celebrate Christmas but thanks anyway.

Don't run me out of town on a rail but I think this revival is a mistake.

iI think it certainly has the potential for being a train wreck.  We've all built up in our minds what we think we want to see.  I wonder if these episodes will include anything to make even one fan happy or just be a mess that will make things worse.  At least in our imaginations we all see the outcome we wanted.

• Love 2

I agree. I'm excited to see the show come alive again, but there are two definites that really are not part of the Gilmore Girls show I know and love:

1. No Richard.

2. April cant be ignored.

None of these options sound appealing to me.

Don't run me out of town on a rail but I think this revival is a mistake.

It's possible. The ending of Gilmore Girls, despite the end of Rory and Logan's relationship, was in many respects a Happily Ever After for pretty much everyone, at least in the writers' minds: Rory succesfully graduated from Yale and was heading off to an exciting new job (seemingly at peace with the demise of her relationship), Logan was heading off to a new job (albeit without Rory), Paris was planning on becoming a doctor and her relationship with Doyle remained solid, Liz and TJ were happy together, Lane was happily (?) resigned to her new life and to motherhood, Luke was assured of an ongoing good relationship with his daughter, Luke and Lorelai appeared to be reconciled, there appeared to be at least the possibility for an improved relationship between Lorelai and her parents, etc. etc. The problem with all of that is that "Everyone lived happily ever after" doesn't leave a lot of room for more storytelling, let alone four episodes at 90 minutes apiece. There has to be conflict, movement and change, and to accomplish that, the happy ending of the series has to be undone at least somewhat. That means that the rosy good feelings of the series finale will be walked back somewhat, although to what extent it's not exactly clear. We already have one possible piece of the puzzle, in that Richard's actor has sadly passed away, which, depending on the writing, could be a source of material for the revival.

The other problem with a revival is that fans could imagine whatever headcanon they wanted for post-series finale. Luke and Lorelai immediately get married in a charming ceremony? Sure. Luke and Lorelai swiftly realize they're better off as friends? Awesome. Rory realizes that she's a poor fit for journalism and decides to go back to school? Why not? Rory kicks herself for rejecting Logan and runs off to California to beg him to take her back? Sounds good. Rory realizes that Paris is her soulmate and convinces her to kick Doyle to the curb? Perfect. And so on. The revival, however, will eliminate all of those possibilities, at least in canon. Sure, there will always be fanfic, but the delicious uncertainty and the beautiful blank slate will be gone. Fans will get an answer on how Luke/Lorelai fared, on Rory's career, etc. etc., and we might not like the answers we get. Suppose Luke and Lorelai have been separated for several years. Suppose Rory has been unhappily married for years to some random dude. Suppose Lane had another six kids. Suppose Emily had a total meltdown after Richard's death and is a shell of her former self. Suppose Rory hasn't really matured in any meaningful way. It's sort of the same thing as the new Star Wars movies set after Return of the Jedi (ignoring the whole Expanded Universe books). Now that you know what's canon, you can't really choose your own canon adventure the way you could before, and if the new canon is anything but the sugar-sweet note on which the previous series ended, the new canon reality, may be a bitter pill to swallow.

Edited by Eyes High
Now that you know what's canon, you can't really choose your own canon adventure the way you could before, and if the new canon is anything but the sugar-sweet note on which the previous series ended, the new canon reality, may be a bitter pill to swallow.

I completely understand what you are saying (though I do want to say they initially did plan to come back for some kind of Season 8 that ended up falling through, so the last season finale was a little more open ended than it would have been had they known that was entirely it), but I would like to see how they ended up.  They may not end up doing things I like, but I'm generally okay with that.   

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 2

I completely understand what you are saying (though I do want to say they initially did plan to come back for some kind of Season 8 that ended up falling through, so the last season finale was a little more open ended than it would have been had they known that was entirely it), but I would like to see how they ended up.  They may not end up doing things I like, but I'm generally okay with that.   

That's true, but the series finale did wind up resolving pretty much everything fairly neatly, in my opinion.

Depending on what they wind up doing, I'm not sure that I really need a 360-minute long revival (that's two very long movies or three decently long movies) as much as I need a paragraph-long blurb from ASP as to where everyone ended up. I think Stephen Moffat did something of the sort for Coupling--sort of a quick "Where are they now?"--and it was lovely and perfect and all I really needed.

Also, it's kind of distressing when they do these sorts of revivals or reunions and some cast members have aged gracefully while others...haven't.

Also, it's kind of distressing when they do these sorts of revivals or reunions and some cast members have aged gracefully while others...haven't.

Heh. Well there is nothing to be done about that!  Time is a harsh mistress. 

I agree with a lot of the above sentiments, I too have thought about the repercussions of the revival and I was kind of nervous at the beginning about possibly disliking the directions they choose to take the characters in. But I've just been trying to remind myself that this was Amy's story from the beginning and that she never got a chance to end it the way she wanted to. Of course with the time that's gone by, that ending has changed, but seeing Lorelai and Rory in 2016 in this format feels less scary to me when I think about the fact that they are ultimately her creations, and if anyone would know what they'd be doing at this particular moment in time, it'd be her. No one knows the voice, the world, the characters, and their destinies better than the creator. David Rosenthal certainly did not. So I'm happy we get to see the *true* endings of these characters on the screen.

For me, what's most nerve-wracking about this entire thing is how different the visual language, tone, feel etc of the show might be. The sets are being completely redone, the actors are a decade older and haven't stepped into these characters in just as long, there's better cameras, possibly higher budgets? which could lead to more sets and more locations, and so on and so forth. It seems like so much of the show's charm was something it was forced into by network constraints. Seeing Rory in an exterior shot in New York City instead of on a poorly-disguised NYC on their WB Backlot, for example, would actually feel out of place to me. I just want it to feel like Gilmore Girls even if things are different. I personally want the show to slot in with the other 7 seasons without it being out of place. So as of this moment I'm mostly thinking about the technical aspects of this revival as opposed to the story aspects. Will they re-do the opening credits with new clips? Use just a title-card? Have brand new credits? These details, while small, will matter to most fans. And it ultimately comes down to whether Amy and Dan want this to feel like it's own new thing, or a continuation as if they never stopped. Like I said before, I'd prefer the latter.

There's also the matter of what feels real, and what would be pandering to fans. Would Luke and Lorelai really still be living in her house after 9 or so years? Would they really have not gotten married in that time, would they not have a kid? If they save these stories so fans can see them on screen, it will be unrealistic. Huge changes, although jarring, will be necessary for any semblance of realism. I'd be fine with not seeing the 'Crap Shack' or the Jeep again - as comforting and essential as they feel to the show, a lot of time has passed.

Also, not sure if this has been posted anywhere but there's a new picture of them doing set construction on Luke's Diner:

tumblr_nzz3jsaBbF1qzeb7lo2_540.png

• Love 1

It's probably an unfair comparison but with what happened with Arrested Development and its revival--with show runner, it worries me. That was another cult classic show with a tight ensemble cast and tons of fast dialogue and references. And bringing it back years later on Netflix was the absolutely wrong thing to do. So that makes me a little nervous.

AD just suffered from not having all the cast members in each episode, though. That was bound to backfire for, like you said, an ensemble comedy.

Veronica Mars did their revival movie and it was super well done and supremely satisfying. I hope this is the same.

Edited by stopthestatic
  • Love 2

I agree, that having pretty much the original cast, sans Edward Hermman (God rest his soul). I do hope Melissa McCarthy does appear, even with her movies on their way this year and Mike and Molly now over. I can still see her being in the revival and I don't have to look to far with other Netflix series with actors who are well known and have movie careers doing series like this. Think Blacklist or House of Cards. So many actors now who have been in the game a while enjoy a nice steady paycheck. If you look at Melissa's career the last few years, outside a few hit movies, she has solely relied on her TV work the last few years. 

Melissa has several movies coming out next year including Ghostbusters. She also has her clothing line coming out. I do find it weird that no one has even asked her about being in the revival. Or maybe she's refusing to answer questions about it?

The advantage of Gilmore Girls is that it was a character-driven show, not plot-driven, so there are many many more stories to tell. It's also very advantageous that the show has been off the air for a long enough time. Not too long, but long enough for the characters to grow and change enough that their stories and relationships will be interesting again. 

The picture of Luke's diner makes me soooo nostalgic. My sister-in-law and I bonded over Gilmore Girls and we still talk about it and quote it to each other to this day ("oy with the poodles already" is one of our favorites). Before the revival hits Netflix, we are planning a DVD marathon of the show complete with pizza, the real Red Vines, and as much other junk food as we can find. 

• Love 1

I'd like to see a reversal in the Rory/Jess dynamic.

Say, Rory is single, pregnant, and laid- off from whatever minor journalism job she had had, and is returning to Stars Hollow a failure in her own eyes , and a major disappointment to the townsfolk. How galling to have Kirk now pity her!

Meanwhile, Jess got his high school equivalent, a degree from NYU, written a successful novel set in a thinly disguised Stars Hollow, and is now teaching a course on creative writing at Chilton.

Edited by clack
  • Love 1

I'd like to see a reversal in the Rory/Jess dynamic.

Say, Rory is single, pregnant, and laid- off from whatever minor journalism job she had had, and is returning to Stars Hollow a failure in her own eyes , and a major disappointment to the townsfolk. How galling to have Kirk now pity her!

Meanwhile, Jess got his high school equivalent, a degree from NYU, written a successful novel set in a thinly disguised Stars Hollow, and is now teaching a course on creative writing at Chilton.

I could have sworn that I read a statement somewhere that at some point some writer on the show--not sure whether it was ASP or someone else--planned for Rory to have an unexpected pregnancy. Assuming that that is the case, they didn't follow through with it, but they could follow through with it.

As for Rory being a single, pregnant disappointment, it would be a source of conflict and interest. If things are as sunny for Rory's future as the finale seemed to presage, we'd get something like this in the revival:

Lorelai: How's life in [whatever city Rory is living in]?

Rory: Amazing. I love it!

Lorelai: How's your job?

Rory: Amazing. I love it!

Lorelai: How's the husband?

Rory: Amazing. I love him!

Lorelai: How are your friends?

Rory: Amazing. I love them!

Aaaaand...scene. There has to be conflict for the story to move forward. While Rory doesn't have to be a failure and a disappointment to the townsfolk to produce that requisite conflict, I don't think that coping with Richard's death in of itself is enough conflict and change for 360 minutes' worth of story.

As for Jess, in his own way, he had already achieved smashing success by artsy hipster standards: a barely-read novel, a struggling publishing house named Truncheon Books...? Anything more mainstream and anything more successful would be the hipster nightmare that is selling out.

It would be cool if Jess did sell out, and publish, say, a cozy mystery set in small town New England. He could be at once sheepish and yet proud of his financial success and his Amazon reviews.

Having Rory come home with her tail between her legs would give her story line room for some dynamic movement. Maybe write a memoir?

Another cool arc I'd like to see : a widowed Emily downsizes, moves to Stars Hollow, and goes into the antique business with Mrs. Kim.

• Love 1
Aaaaand...scene. There has to be conflict for the story to move forward. While Rory doesn't have to be a failure and a disappointment to the townsfolk to produce that requisite conflict, I don't think that coping with Richard's death in of itself is enough conflict and change for 360 minutes' worth of story.

I think that the tone of the revival is key.

If it's all whacky hijinks, Townies overload then I think the whole thing will be a waste of time. But if ASP pitches it more along the dramedy themes of seasons 1/2 then I think the revival could be fantastic. Richard's death has infinite potential to impact on Lorelai, Emily & Rory individually, in their relationships with each other, and in their relationships with others. (As sad as it is that Ed Hermann has passed away & as much as I can't really picture a revival without him at this point). All three Gilmore Girls would likely deal with such a devastating loss in a different way and there are obvious impacts on other dynamics such as Rory/Christopher; Lorelai/Luke etc.

Given how crucial Richard was to the original show, and how respected, adored and missed EH is by the cast, I'd like to think that Richard's passing is too significant an event to be treated with anything other than class and dignity. Lorelai & Sookie dealscoring at the coffin just won't work here. Which makes me think that the revival will open in the immediate aftermath of his death, thus setting the tone more along the pitch of Season 1. It could actually be beautifully done if there's a real desire to produce something of substance and not just pump out a revival for revival's sake. One can only live in hope!

I do find it odd however that the news leaked back in Oct and yet we still have no official confirmation. Is this the norm with Netflix productions - to have this much secrecy until filming is complete?

Edited by Gooey
  • Love 1
I do find it odd however that the news leaked back in Oct and yet we still have no official confirmation. Is this the norm with Netflix productions - to have this much secrecy until filming is complete?

I saw over at TVLine, the negotiations are going slow with signing everyone for the revival, so they probably can't confirm until that is confirmed.  Though I guess Warner Brothers is pretty sure it is going to happen if they have started set construction. 

• Love 2

I see that the Dumpster in the photograph says "Gilmore Girls 2016", so that is a good sign! 

Amy loves the characters and the show, and I trust her to make intriguing choices about the paths of her characters.  There are so many ways she could go! 

• Love 1

I'm really surprised Alexis Bledel is pregnant. Her husband has been outspoken about not wanting children because there's too many in the world and reproducing to him is egotistical.

Assuming the pregnancy is intentional, I wouldn't be surprised if he changed his tune once he was happily partnered up. Vincent Kartheiser reminds me of this left-leaning dude I knew from school who was loudly and thoroughly philosophically opposed to marriage as an oppressive bourgeois capitalistic institution and as a tool of the state blah blah blah. Guess whose wedding registry I stumbled across not one year later when I googled him to see what he was up to?

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1

My husband when he was back in high school and college was pretty much the same. Kids need to be adopted, people who "breed" are selfish assholes adding to over population etc etc. We had arguments about it. Now he's a "I can't wait to have kids when can we start" kind of guy. Situations change the tunes people sing.

Edited by solotrek

Recalling how many of the actors on the show commented or complained about the length of the scripts and the complexity of the dialogue, it doesn't surprise me that they're taking longer to negotiate their contracts. That was for an hour episode with commercials, which means there was only a 40-45 minute show. Now there is an hour and a half without commercials per "episode." Some of the actors may have grievances. Do we know if they are planning to film all 4 episodes at once, or will there be weeks or months breaks in between. Will all four be available at once for streaming? 

I'm not entirely sure we "know" anything beyond Netflix saying they are exploring this.  There hasn't been anything solid beyond the fact that the sets are being built. Lots of speculation but not even anything confirmed about who will be in it.  It may be WAY different than we expect.