Type keyword(s) to search

Gilmore Girls May Get Revived On Netflix?

• Start Topic

This was from Ask Ausiello earlier in the week:

Question: Any updates on how negotiations are going for the cast of the Gilmore Girls revival? —Christopher

Ausiello: Slooooooow. But Warner Bros. TV is apparently pretty confident that all the key players will sign on the dotted line since the sets are already being constructed!

• Love 3

I'm just finishing a rewatch of the series on Netflix and now I'm conflicted on whether I'm happy about the possible revival.   With the show ending I could imagine a future where things happened the way I wanted, but new episodes makes the possibility of Jesse and Rory getting back together real.  I never liked them, but I know I was in the minority, and I wouldn't be surprised if tptb went with them since so many people still root for them.  I'm crossing my fingers that the Jesse actor is too busy.

I'm crossing my fingers that the Jesse actor is too busy.

Milo has already said that he has been asked to return to play Jess. He hopes to have time to film the new GGs. However, saying that, I really don't think that ASP will have Rory rekindle any of her previous high school/college romances. There are too many fans that differ on which relationship they liked. Anyway, I think the story will pick up 8-10 years later and Rory will be single or with someone new. 

Who would have thought that Danny Strong would wind up being the most successful after GG (admittedly not in the acting department)?

I googled him awhile ago after he was in Mad Men, and I was shocked by how well he's done. He was listed as one of the first credits in Mockingjay 2!

Who would have thought that Danny Strong would wind up being the most successful after GG (admittedly not in the acting department)?

I would say Melissa McCarthy stands with him as more successful after GG, which I'll admit surprised me.  I do think it is pretty awesome that Danny Strong and Melissa, both of who look like underdogs on paper, really have busted out in the last few years. I used to think Lauren and Alexis would be the ones to move on to bigger things.

• Love 2

I forgot about Melissa. She has an Oscar nom (Bridesmaids), a Golden Globes nom (Spy), three Emmy noms (Mike & Molly), and one win (Mike & Molly). Not too shabby.

Danny Strong has two Emmy wins for Game Change--best writing for a miniseries and best miniseries--as well as one nom for Recount. Also pretty impressive.

Interestingly, Danny Strong got into writing because he wasn't getting much acting work. Seems to have worked out pretty well for him, now that he's an executive producer on a big hit show (Empire), as well as the screenwriter of the Mockingjay movies and of The Butler. Looks like he's got two more big screen projects in the works: a JD Salinger biopic and an adaptation of a Dan Brown book.

I never watched it, but I guess Parenthood was a pretty successful series.

It's a network show that started airing in 2010 and ran for six seasons on NBC, which is a significant accomplishment these days. Still, it was pretty much ignored by the big awards (one GG nom and one Emmy nom over a six-year run). It was a respectable show but didn't get nearly the same level of plaudits as Friday Night Lights, another Jason Katims project.

• Love 1

I just realized something, since the show has been off, Kirk and Lulu most likely had kids as it was talked about towards the end of the series. I can see Lulu wanting kids and Kirk trying not to be his mother. Yet, I fear the fact that Kirk ever reproduced, we know that Taylor had kids who were out of the house and were mentioned in a few episodes. Of course, I'm sure when they visited town they kept a low profile or had to deal with Kirk always over trying to do their father's bidding. 

No kids. A nephew for sure. Called him a doody head

I remember that, I actually checked on IMDB and rechecked the episode and saw that Taylor didn't have kids because of his nephew calling him that. I love that in the GG world, Anna didn't tell Luke about Anna because Luke said how annoying kids were when they went to dinner or a movie. Yet never said he didn't want them. Taylor had his nephew call him a name and he was like: "That's it!" "No kids for me!" While the Gilmores, Chris's parents didn't have more kids because one was trouble enough when they had nannies watching Lorelai and Christopher most of the time and even the both of them admitting they saw them more than their own parents. 

All that said, I hope we get more news on when the revival will start filming, who is involved and then we can speculate with what happened with who after that.

• Love 1

No kids. A nephew for sure. Called him a doody head

A niece too, I believe.  When they were doing the revolutionary war re-enactment and needed a female to play a hooker the apparently occupied the time of a british general, I remember Patty asking Taylor of one of the girls wasn't his sisters child and giving him a "patty" look.

A number of recent media reports have suggested that one of the Gilmore Girls - presumably Emily - will be getting a new love interest in the revival. Blech. Even if Richard's death significantly predates the sad passing of Ed Herrmann, I can't see  a seventy-something Emily - who so totally identified with the Gilmore family - out hunting for a new companion or husband.

Unless of course the showrunners are planning  to address the long simmering, forbidden attraction between Luke and Emily ;)

A number of recent media reports have suggested that one of the Gilmore Girls - presumably Emily - will be getting a new love interest in the revival. Blech. Even if Richard's death significantly predates the sad passing of Ed Herrmann, I can't see  a seventy-something Emily - who so totally identified with the Gilmore family - out hunting for a new companion or husband.

Why would her having a new love interest mean Emily is "out hunting for a new companion or husband?"  It's not like you have to be actively dating to meet someone new. 

• Love 2
If it were Emily, it could also be a case of meeting someone and struggling with the idea of liking them. She could feel like she was betraying Richard by being interested in/attracted to someone new

See! It is Emily and Luke!

I genuinely hope it is Rory. And the love interest  could simply be new to viewers - not  a recent development in Rory's world - but an established partner. Particularly so - given Ms Bledel's real life circumstances - if Rory is pregnant or  a new mother. And I also hope it would not be asking too much for the pregnancy to be planned and hoped for - not to be the result of stupidity, trickery or birth control failure. It would make for a nice change of pace.

• Love 2
And I also hope it would not be asking too much for the pregnancy to be planned and hoped for - not to be the result of stupidity, trickery or birth control failure. It would make for a nice change of pace.

I'd hope they could think of a plotline more dynamic for a female character than pregnancy.     

If it were Emily, it could also be a case of meeting someone and struggling with the idea of liking them. She could feel like she was betraying Richard by being interested in/attracted to someone new.

If handled right, that could be an interesting storyline. 

I'd hope they could think of a plotline more dynamic for a female character than pregnancy.     

I'd think it probably depends on the filming schedule and if the rumors about Alexis are true. If a 7 month pregnant Alexis is filming, they'd be hard pressed to make her not pregnant. Or they could just hide it in ridiculous ways.

But I do agree. I'd rather be brought back into their lives just to be brought back and not necessarily because of a "cliche 'women's show' big event", ie: wedding; miscarriage; pregnancy; etc... Along the same lines, it's probably why I don't want Rory necessarily getting back together or anything with any of her old exes.

• Love 3
I'd rather be brought back into their lives just to be brought back and not necessarily because of a "cliche 'women's show' big event", ie: wedding; miscarriage; pregnancy; etc

I completely agree, solotrek.  Perhaps Rory comes back to Stars Hollow because Lorelai has replaced Taylor as the town's Grand Poobah.  

I hope it's Luke who gets a new love interest. No one deserves being punished with the trainwreck that is Lorelai Gilmore. Lorelai needs to end up alone....with a couple of cats. Unless the show wants to go a really weird route and put Lorelai with the love of her life, Rory. And since Lorelai is incabable of committing to anyone else these are the only options I see for her.

Edited by Smad
  • Love 3

if Luke and Lorelai have never married.. But are still dating.....this will be the stupidest and laziest writers trope ever

It would be as if they were channelling Andy Taylor and Helen Crump. Of course, in real life Andy Griffith and Aneta Corsaut carried on a torrid affair for a number of years, so perhaps not.

In order to give the L/L fans the wedding they wanted to see, I could see them living together and even having kids without marriage so that they could show the wedding in the revival. I would much rather see them viewing a recording of the wedding while celebrating their anniversary. Of course there would have to be much photoshop work and hair plugs for Luke :)

• Love 1

In order to give the L/L fans the wedding they wanted to see, I could see them living together and even having kids without marriage so that they could show the wedding in the revival. I would much rather see them viewing a recording of the wedding while celebrating their anniversary. Of course there would have to be much photoshop work and hair plugs for Luke :)

Nah, the special wedding baseball cap would cover any baldness.

Amy was never interested in giving the fans what they wanted to see.

I wouldn't mind a love interest for Emily, but it would really have to be handled delicately. And first she'd have to mourn Richard (SOB). I mean, I can see how someone Emily's age would get lonely and would just want companionship.

But a new love interest for Rory makes the most sense to me. I imagine Luke and Lorelai as being happily married. Probably not with any other kids, but hey. That would be an element of surprise, wouldn't it? Suddenly a grade-school-age kid shows up and calls Lorelai Mommy.

• Love 1

I wouldn't mind a love interest for Emily, but it would really have to be handled delicately. And first she'd have to mourn Richard (SOB). 

Was it intentional to somehow get both crying (sob) and son-of-a-bitch (SOB) with regard to Richard but also Richard's sad passing? Intentional or not, I did laugh but I guess..."Too soon!" and all

Was it intentional to somehow get both crying (sob) and son-of-a-bitch (SOB) with regard to Richard but also Richard's sad passing? Intentional or not, I did laugh but I guess..."Too soon!" and all

Lol! I didn't even catch that! I just assumed it was tears! 

Ah I didn't even realize that. I just meant SOB as in crying. 

Richard could be a son of a bitch but he also had his moments. I love Help Wanted because of the Lorelai-Richard interaction in that episode. The scene in the office supply store! And when he tells her his no secretary is "no Margie" but he clearly means she's "no Lorelai" and Lorelai knows what he's saying but they don't need to say it. All so perfect.

Anyway, I hope ASP comes up with a fitting tribute to Edward Hermann/Richard Gilmore in the revival.

Edited by Minneapple
  • Love 2

It's just too bad that GG coming back means Rory is back too. The Lorelai/Rory relationship was done and there was nothing left to explore at the end of S7. However Emily becoming a widow is such an interesting story that could have maybe shook up the status quo of 1 step forward 2 steps back between her and Lorelai. So many ways the story could go and with Rory being on the road having a job the focus could have been Lorelai/Emily. Emily losing Richard not only means that Emily would finally get some character development again but there are so many ways it could change the relationship between Lorelai and her that would be more interesting than anything Lorelai/Rory. And I much prefer LG and KB in scenes together than I do LG and AB.

It's just too bad that GG coming back means Rory is back too.

Do we know she IS coming back?  Have any contracts been finalized with anyone?  I know there have been expressions of interest but who has signed on the dotted line?

The Lorelai/Rory relationship was done and there was nothing left to explore at the end of S7.

Is a relationship between mom/daughter ever really done?  There are plenty of things to explore in the ever-changing relationship between mom and adult daughter (see Emily/Lorelai).  My understanding was that a revival wouldn't be done unless the four main characters (Lorelai, Rory, Emily and Luke) were in it.  

• Love 2

It's just too bad that GG coming back means Rory is back too. The Lorelai/Rory relationship was done and there was nothing left to explore at the end of S7

Yeah, that's it. Wrap it up, their relationship will be static for the rest of their lives. Also it's too bad that Rory, whose story is the most unfinished, will be back.