Type keyword(s) to search

Gilmore Girls May Get Revived On Netflix?

• Start Topic

If George Clooney aka biggest star in the universe could appear on ER, she ought to be able to throw us a bone and make a cameo of some sort.

The difference though is that his ER character was super cool, so it wasn't something that would tarnish his brand, but she'd be going back to play the wacky klutzy sidekick. Which she might do anyway of course, but I could see why she might not want to. It's a business where once you get typecast it's hard to bust out of that.

It's a business where once you get typecast it's hard to bust out of that.

Agreed, except: Melissa's schtick these days seems to be 'raunchy klutzy lead' (which I freely admit, is 100% Not For Me), so it'd be a nice chance to remind people that she CAN do other things.  I get it if she wants to do her own thing and not prove that she's a versatile comedic actress, but still: I'm always impressed to see people with range.  I don't think it'd hurt her and, given the enthusiasm of GG fans, it might tend to make her look petty and small if she refuses to do it.  (As opposed to "cannot do it" for scheduling/contractual reasons, but if she has any PR sense at all, she'd better talk up that she WANTED to, TRIED to, and just couldn't make it work - if it comes out that she WOULDN'T then I'd personally be kind of disappointed in her.)

• Love 7

Had Edward Herrmann not died, I would have liked to have seen Emily brought down a peg or two. Perhaps learning that she was indeed not related to an individual of significance to the American Revolution and thereby being drummed out of the DAR. Her epaulettes ripped from the shoulders of her Chanel suit!

She could still be involved in charitable and cultural work but not of the top tier of the Hartford elite. With her anger management issues (and Kelly Bishop's superlative skills), it could have been quite entertaining.

Edited by dustylil
Agreed, except: Melissa's schtick these days seems to be 'raunchy klutzy lead' (which I freely admit, is 100% Not For Me), so it'd be a nice chance to remind people that she CAN do other things.  I get it if she wants to do her own thing and not prove that she's a versatile comedic actress, but still: I'm always impressed to see people with range.  I don't think it'd hurt her and, given the enthusiasm of GG fans, it might tend to make her look petty and small if she refuses to do it.  (As opposed to "cannot do it" for scheduling/contractual reasons, but if she has any PR sense at all, she'd better talk up that she WANTED to, TRIED to, and just couldn't make it work - if it comes out that she WOULDN'T then I'd personally be kind of disappointed in her.)

It's her life and her career and her choice. If she doesn't want to do it, she must have perfectly valid reasons for her choice. Or not. But that's not for us to judge. 

Edited by Minneapple

The thing with Melissa is that I loved her as Sookie and I liked  her in Bridesmaids and that's when her new brand/thing started, even though I know she was on Mike and Molly during that time as well but I have never seen that show so I don't know if that's what she is like on that show as well, I just know after Bridesmaid, her movies now seem to be about the same character. I kind of wish she would go back to Sookie, because it's so different from what she is now known for. I don't think she will be on the revival either, she's making movies and she may not want to. Even though personally, I find her new thing kind of tired, it seems she plays the same version of the role she played in Bridesmaids but that's just my opinion. I would be sad if she isn't there though, she was a big important person for the Gilmores. 

• Love 3

The thing with Melissa is that I loved her as Sookie and I liked  her in Bridesmaids and that's when her new brand/thing started, even though I know she was on Mike and Molly during that time as well but I have never seen that show so I don't know if that's what she is like on that show as well, I just know after Bridesmaid,

They rebooted her character on Mike and Molly too. She started out as a sweet school teacher and sane member of her family, and now she writes trashy romances and makes the rest of her family look reasonable. She's still klutzy though. Her career took off like a rocket with the Bridesmaid brand, so it makes sense that she stuck with what worked.

Edited by random chance

Edited to add -- Paris is either clerking for a Supreme Court justice or she's the youngest partner in a gigantic law firm or she really did cure cancer.  I can't wait to find out.

Do we think AMS might change what happened in S7 so Paris does not go to med school? That would be odd. And there wouldn't have been enough time for her to complete med and law school (though I could see Paris doing that someday!).

I am ridiculously excited about this show, and the idea of each episode being one season. I just miss the banter and dialogue and characters, the plot is almost secondary to me.

• Love 2

I kind of wish she would go back to Sookie, because it's so different from what she is now known for. I don't think she will be on the revival either, she's making movies and she may not want to. Even though personally, I find her new thing kind of tired, it seems she plays the same version of the role she played in Bridesmaids but that's just my opinion. I would be sad if she isn't there though, she was a big important person for the Gilmores.

Yeah, I agree and I don't think playing Sookie again would be a step back, it would be a nice return to a more subtle character. Sure she was a little klutzy (although they seemed to downplay that as the series went on) but she was sweet and likeable. Did anyone here see her in "St. Vincent"? She was really good in that. It was nice to see a different side of her in that.

• Love 3
Yeah, I agree and I don't think playing Sookie again would be a step back, it would be a nice return to a more subtle character.

I meant more that it was a "step back" from where her career is now to what it was then.  I just figured she wouldn't want to return to a role as a secondary character in a show built around other people.  Mind you, I have nothing to back up my claim, and she may actually want to come back.  I just could see why it wouldn't be a priority.

The difference though is that his ER character was super cool, so it wasn't something that would tarnish his brand,  

I thought it was more that the show was ending, it made him a star, and his guest appearance (w/Juliana Margulies) was pure fan service.      

Eek, I'm with you. From what I've seen Sookie was the best character she ever played. All of her roles now, in one way or another, bring her shape to the forefront of the humor and I'm rather sick of it. The 'fat people fall down' trope isn't funny to me and I think it demeans her that THIS is how Hollywood makes her successful. The fat jokes on Mike and Molly turned me off the series quickly.

Sookie may have been a support system/shoulder for Lorelei but the falling was minimal and about her job performance more than anything. Sookie had real concerns - four in four, opening the Dragonfly, her obsession with cooking, obviously - and it made her something more than just the pal Lorelei blabbed with.

I will be disappointed if Sookie is gone. I get that the role is considered a sidekick part but to me, Amy never just wrote her as that. You would think Melissa would be glad to play something more whole and layered, especially since it wouldn't have to be so large a part that it eats up a year of her life.

I don't know. Am I crazy to think that every actor involved in Gilmore Girls should be grateful to have been a part of such a much-beloved show? Where there's a will, there's a way I say. Melissa may not owe anybody an appearance, but participating would speak volumes about her character and I think earn her more respect in Hollywood than if she were to act unavailable.

But then, Hollywood itself never really seemed to care much about Gilmore Girls. I still don't understand how it didn't earn a single Emmy nomination at the very least... so maybe Melissa would lose cred for going back as if she were desperate to the show that nobody particularly respected in the biz.

Dusty, I definitely think Emily got taken down a peg when Richard essentially said her lifestyle was meaningless and not to be emulated. After hearing that, I'm really surprised the marriage didn't stall for the second time. I hate that Richard loves Emily but doesn't appreciate the stuff that she does. The way he condescendingly hugged her during the "You're the Favorite!" scene really bothered me. I know he's an old fashioned guy but his wife is smart and driven. You would think he could understand how odd it might feel for Emily to be the only person at the table without a career of her own. To dismiss her charitable work and shopping lifestyle is pretty harsh...

I do want to see Emily have to own up to some of her choices, but perhaps more than anything I really want these movies to give us a look at who Emily Gilmore actually is beyond a supporting player in everyone else's life. I hope Amy is wise enough to take advantage of Emily's new life situation to give her a satisfying arc and fill out her woefully underdeveloped past.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 4

The show wasn't totally ignored by the Emmys. Although not recognized in acting, writing or similar high profile categories, it did win a Prime Time Emmy for Best Make-Up for Season 4's Festival of Living Art.

Also, none of the actors have signed up for the reboot yet. As far as we know, the main four - Lauren, Alexis, Kelly and Scott - are the only ones in negotiations.

As an update to this, I just read that Milo posted on his facebook page that he told Amy and Dan that he would do the reboot. He said that he got an email about it from the show's producers and told them at that point that he was in. I don't know if he has actually signed on the dotted line or if it was a more informal commitment, but I am guessing that either way he will be on board.

ETA: I just watched an interview he did at Wizard World Comic Con and he said he will likely know for sure by January or so.

Edited by LostWithSawyer
  • Love 1

"Well, for what it's worth, The Hollywood Reporter recently published an article about Hollywood's 100 favorite tv shows of all time and Gilmore Girls was ranked #51. I don't know who in the industry they interviewed, but this combined with the Netflix interest in reviving the show, I'd say it actually is respected, because they would not just revive any show."

Slightly off topic, but that is one idiosyncratic list. Didn't count precisely, but 60-70% of those shows never appealed to me in the least. Guess that's what makes life, and television, interesting:)

Slightly off topic, but that is one idiosyncratic list. Didn't count precisely, but 60-70% of those shows never appealed to me in the least. Guess that's what makes life, and television, interesting:)

Gotta wonder what criteria they used to decide.  Some I have never even heard of.  And I disagree with many of the rankings.  But on the other hand I am glad to see that many of the older shows were included.  

As you said, wonderwoman, that's what makes TV interesting.

I was going through some storage last night and found an old Gilmore Girls Mother's Day card from my daughter (very much my Rory). It just reminded me how much and how long I've loved this show. The new season is probably still at least a year away, but I'm so excited.

• Love 1

This is from the MV Facebook page.  He is directly quoted.

"I’ve always been pretty vocal about ‘Gilmore’ and I know everybody’s been waiting, and I was like, ‘That will never happen,’ and it’s totally happening.
While I was actually here, I got an email from the producers.
Again, I’m always vocal Amy Sherman-Palladino and Dan Palladino; they’re two of my favorite people and two of my favorite writers ever of all time. Just to be able to speak their words again, of course I would do it. So I told them, yeah, of course I’ll do it." - MV

I mean for goodness sake, I don't think they would just dream this quote up out of nowhere.  I don't think the fan just makes up things out of thin air.  My opinion

I mean for goodness sake, I don't think they would just dream this quote up out of nowhere.  I don't think the fan just makes up things out of thin air.  My opinion

The quote is genuine, but where it was posted on Facebook is not his Facebook page. Milo said that at a Wizard World comic convention and it has been posted on several sources. 

I always believed the problem with Bunheads was that ASP had complete creative control, and I think she's someone who badly needs editing and reining-in.  The dialogue always went on too long, the bits were frequently too out there, and so on.  I hope Netflix doesn't make that mistake.

Amen to this. Bunheads to me emphasized two plot points that ASP should never try to tackle: grief and finances. A woman's son dies and she seems completely over it 2 weeks later. Don't get me started on the will and her "paying season," as someone mentioned above.

• Love 3

Re: Bunheads - my favorite episodes of that show were the pilot and the series finale.  The show never really settled in (IMO) until that last episode... I'm hoping the revival of GG will have an equally satisfying ending.

Plus I don't think Sookie really fits Melissa's brand anymore. She'd have to ditch her carefully-built-up brand which has been really successful, and play a sweet accident-prone sidekick. I can understand why she wouldn't want to do that.

That's true, but Melissa McCarthy's "Sookie" character is just so darn adorable. Her giggle, her excited little happy dance, that smile - simply adorable. I can't think of any other TV character being as adorable as Sookie St. James - maybe Rose from the Golden Girls?

Jess is perfect for Rory. He is as smart, funny and well-read as her. I am sure that he grew out of being a 17-year-old sullen teenage boy.

• Love 2

S6 Jess would be a welcome addition to the revival for me.  I really didn't like him until that episode.  I do not have any faith in ASP being able to do anything but cynical though so I fear for S6 Jess and what may have become of him in this "new world"

I really would like Rory to end up with someone new or be single for the new shows. Ending up with one of her high school boyfriends/her college boyfriend would be too...kitschy or something. And yes, Jess developed, but he developed off screen. I liked the place they left him and Rory in. I don't see them as star crossed lovers, their paths don't necessarily seem like they would collide anymore.

• Love 3

I feel like Jess would have a good reason to appear, since he is Luke's Nephew and I'm hoping that Luke & Loraeli are married so he'll be like family. I don't see any of the other having a purpose unless Rory is with them, and I really hope that she isn't. I agree that Rory should either be with someone else or better yet single.

I am afraid a revival may be a case of be careful of what you wish for; it may be more disappointing than the finale of the show.  I hope not because I would love to see more of this show.

I asked this question on the merchandise thread but it doesn't seem like it's viewed much...I watched GG on Netfiix and loved it.  I wanted to know if it is worth it to purchase the DVDs?  Is there a lot of deleted senses, interviews...just extra stuff to make you enjoy the show more.

It has been a while but if I recall correctly, there are some - but not a lot of - deleted scenes on the DVDs. As the actors were not compensated, there are no  interviews with cast members. Sadly, there are no blooper reels.

I recall enjoying the extras on Season One's set. There were interviews with the cast on Season One. As the Season's continued the extras were okay.

Season Five had extras from the 100th episode (Wedding Bell Blues) along with other stuff

Edited by lulu1960

I stand corrected, lulu. We recently moved and most of the DVDs have yet to be unearthed.

I know there was some consternation at the time about the lack of involvement in the later DVDs  by some of the principal players.

As they weren't getting paid to partake, I remember thinking why on earth should they?

This is getting considerably off-topic for this thread, so I'll stop.

I just want to chime in on the Melissa McCarthy discussion.  I fully agree with those that think Sookie was one of her better characters.  I honestly do not watch anything she does now, because none of it is my style at all, and I personally think she is limiting herself to roles that do not do her justice.  I guess seeing her in a more complex role like Sookie spoiled me.  I watched Bridesmaids thinking it would be some funny movie, and to be honest I hated it.  A lot.  And then when I see previews for her other movies, it just seems like characters with very little depth.  

• Love 5

I worry too, about whether this Netflix reboot might be too good to be true.  When I think about how ASP left the show, and how she torpedoed the characters before going, it does give me a bit of a pause, when it comes to trusting her.  I can see her deciding that she wants the whole Luke/Lorelai situation devolving into breaking up, getting together, breaking up again angst, just because she was never happy with having  to get them together at the end of season 4.  I'm not sure she'd be willing to take the season 7 developments as canon, since she didn't write them, either.

My feeling is that Luke and Lorelai should be firmly established as living her "middle", from the beginning of the episodes.  If Lorelai is 47-ish years old and still behaving like an idiot where her love life is concerned (or reverting to idiocy, if the end of season 7 is ignored... which up until that last episode or so, she was holding the idiot ball), then I don't know if I can stand to watch it.  I need Lorelai to have grown the f*ck up, in the last 8 years.

As for Rory, I want her to have grown up too.  I'd love it if she realized that Mitchum Huntzberger was right, and that she truly preferred a more quiet life as a writer, or even a damned good executive assistant.  My fear is that Amy will keep Rory on the track she (Amy) had decided she needed to be on, early in the series, and refuse to deviate from it in recognition of Rory's reality.  I think we're going to end up with Star Reporter Rory!  Torn now between Dean and Jess, again!  Running off to marry Logan.  Something cringeworthy.

I'd love to see Reality-based Grown-up Rory, married to a character played by her real life hubby (Vincent K...) (since Alexis seems to only be able to work up chemistry with someone she's actually in a relationship with).  Let Rory come home with her somewhat dorky, but very loving husband, and create her angst in the reactions of her too-perfect looking former boyfriends going "She threw me over for him?  What does he have that I don't?"   I think Alexis and Vincent are adorable together in real life, so it'd be kind of awesome to see that play out on the screen, in the show.

At any rate, I'll watch the Netflix episodes, but I'm not quite as excited as I could be.  I seriously hope the Palladinos see this as an opportunity for redemption, after the big FU they gave the fans midway through season 6.

Edited by CalamityBoPeep
  • Love 5

I hope the Palladino's will do the fans right too. I just recently heard that ASP wanted a L/C pairing and was surprised.  It seemed to me from the pilot that L/L were going to be the end game for the show.  Well, hopefully from what the cast displayed at the reunion and on the Today Show, the actors have grown up and will play nice :)

• Love 1

My fear is that Amy will keep Rory on the track she (Amy) had decided she needed to be on, early in the series, and refuse to deviate from it in recognition of Rory's reality.  I think we're going to end up with Star Reporter Rory!  Torn now between Dean and Jess, again!  Running off to marry Logan.  Something cringeworthy.

I'm really hoping ASP does something fresh and deviates from the whole Perfect Princess Rory dynamic she set up early on, as well. I could definitely see Rory having floundered a bit since leaving college. It would be nice to see her in not be Christiane Amanpour, but rather stuck in a middling journalist job or any job to pay the bills. I'm hoping the new series will have Rory questioning her path, especially because of Richard's death and her coming back home. As for her exes, I hope if they come back it is used more as an impetus for Rory to ponder her life choices so far then for romance.  I tend to think (hope) that all of the exes are over her; Logan I could see has already married off with children, as well as Dean. Jess could have a rabid hipster cult following as a writer and could play the role of telling it straight to Rory, as he has done in the past. THAT is the Rory story line I'd like to see.

To be honest, I don't know how far to trust ASP as a writer anymore. Under her direction there was plenty of weak storytelling and very cliche plots/characters. OTOH, there is no telling how much of that was due to network interference. I've been under the impression Netflix allows for more creative freedom to creators, and I'm hoping the GG revival will benefit from it.

• Love 3

I would love to see Rory married to a character played by VK, especially if they play up the dorkiness and give him big ugly glasses and dorky terribad fashion sense. I have a serious fear that ASP will give in to her worst instincts and hook Rory up with one of her high school exs, though. I doubt Logan will show up, given that TGW films in NYC.

• Love 2

Jess could have a rabid hipster cult following as a writer and could play the role of telling it straight to Rory, as he has done in the past. THAT is the Rory story line I'd like to see.

Wouldn't it be interesting if Rory came back to Stars Hollow conflicted with what to do with her life and Jess helping her decide. I would like that. 

I would love to see Rory married to a character played by VK,

Please, no real life crossing over into GG. Just. No.

• Love 1

I tend to think (hope) that all of the exes are over her; Logan I could see has already married off with children, as well as Dean. Jess could have a rabid hipster cult following as a writer and could play the role of telling it straight to Rory, as he has done in the past. THAT is the Rory story line I'd like to see.

His being married has certainly never stopped her before. ;)

His being married has certainly never stopped her before. ;)

Hee, that's true. One would think Dean has moved on to a new wife or girlfriend he actually "like" likes more then Rory and he is no longer tempted by his high school sweetheart. Same for Logan or even Jess. Like I said, I'm not going to give ASP credit till I see it.

• Love 1

I have a serious fear that ASP will give in to her worst instincts and hook Rory up with one of her high school exs, though. 

I agree. I think Dean is out of the running in all likelihood, though.

I'm really hoping ASP does something fresh and deviates from the whole Perfect Princess Rory dynamic she set up early on, as well. I could definitely see Rory having floundered a bit since leaving college. It would be nice to see her in not be Christiane Amanpour, but rather stuck in a middling journalist job or any job to pay the bills. I'm hoping the new series will have Rory questioning her path, especially because of Richard's death and her coming back home. As for her exes, I hope if they come back it is used more as an impetus for Rory to ponder her life choices so far then for romance.  I tend to think (hope) that all of the exes are over her; Logan I could see has already married off with children, as well as Dean. Jess could have a rabid hipster cult following as a writer and could play the role of telling it straight to Rory, as he has done in the past. THAT is the Rory story line I'd like to see.

To be honest, I don't know how far to trust ASP as a writer anymore. Under her direction there was plenty of weak storytelling and very cliche plots/characters. OTOH, there is no telling how much of that was due to network interference. I've been under the impression Netflix allows for more creative freedom to creators, and I'm hoping the GG revival will benefit from it.

1. Did ASP ever intend Rory to remain a Perfect Princess Rory, though? I could have sworn I read something somewhere about how ASP planned for Rory to become pregnant unexpectedly. Am I taking crazy pills?

2. I think Logan will be married to some Huntzberger-approved bit of cookie cutter perfection, having taken the path of least resistance, but still pining for Rory, as one does *rolls eyes*. Jess I'm less sure about, although it would be funny if for all of his edgy pretensions he wound up going the white picket fence, 2.5 kids, labrador retriever, SUV route. More likely he wound up with some cute hipster girl he met through his work, though.

3. Realistically, all of Rory's exes would have moved on long ago. I would also expect Rory would have moved on as well and would be married to or in a serious, committed relationship with someone she met through work. This show was never really known for its realism, though.

4. Bunheads raised a lot of concerns for me about ASP's ability to bring this home. Season 7 was pilloried, but only because we didn't know what ASP had planned. It also seemed to me as if Season 7 was dedicated to undoing a lot of the damage done by ASP. We'll see, though.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 3

With respect, Sarah2009, why would it be unrealistic for Rory's exes to still pine for her? Wasn't that a basic character trait of her swains?

With the possible exception of Logan, Dean, Jess and Marty all seemed unable to get over their involvement with Rory and go on about their lives. Indeed, Marty and Rory never actually dated yet he was obsessed with her throughout his college days.

I'm torn. One one hand, it would be unrealistic for any of Rory's exes to still pine for her. On the other hand, it would be difficult to get invested in a Rory/ Guy we've never seen pairing.

It doesn't have to be an either/or situation, though. Jess didn't seem to have been pining for Rory in season 6. It would be completely realistic if he came to town for whatever reason and saw Rory and they reconnected.

But honestly I wouldn't mind the Rory/New Guy scenario, since by the end I pretty much hated all her love interests (except Jess who redeemed himself, but I never liked the idea of them getting back together). 

I'm really hoping ASP does something fresh and deviates from the whole Perfect Princess Rory dynamic she set up early on, as well. I could definitely see Rory having floundered a bit since leaving college.

Well, she did flounder in college a bit. 

Oh, and -- Alexis Bledel is reportedly pregnant. FWIW.

Well, she did flounder in college a bit

Just the teensiest though. She still graduated with her class, made Phi Beta Kappa and got a swell job soon after completing Yale.

Not bad for a recently convicted felon!

Now I wouldn't expect her to ever have money difficulties given the family circumstances. But career expectation issues, relationship problems,  work/personal life balance - among other things - would be plausible for a  thirty-something to be facing now.

• Love 1

With respect, Sarah2009, why would it be unrealistic for Rory's exes to still pine for her? Wasn't that a basic character trait of her swains?

With the possible exception of Logan, Dean, Jess and Marty all seemed unable to get over their involvement with Rory and go on about their lives. Indeed, Marty and Rory never actually dated yet he was obsessed with her throughout his college days.

You're right that it would be completely in character within the world of GG for Rory's exes to continue to pine for her, but is it realistic in the sense that in the real world, all of a young woman's exes, even those she dated in high school, would be obsessively hung up on her and unable to move on despite 8+ years having passed since the time of their relationship? No. This aspect of Rory's storyline in the show seemed to be yet another iteration of a particular fantasy, just like Logan (the rich bad boy womanizer who reforms for love of you). In real life, your exes move on (absent any mental health issues which would cause them to dwell obsessively over a failed relationship for several years). In a fantasy, your exes may form other relationships, but they will always mourn you as the one who got away, obsessively pine over you, and leap at any opportunity to get back together with you no matter how much time has passed since your relationship.

I became a little worried about the revival when I thought of Everwood, a show cancelled despite a mighty fan campaign to save it. The show received a series finale that nicely tied off all the loose ends. The fans were devastated to see the show go...until, that is, they learned what the showrunners had planned for Season 5 had it aired. The series' cancellation then looked less like a tragedy and more like a very lucky escape. The same could be true of Gilmore Girls, depending on how the revival plays out.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 4
just like Logan (the rich bad boy womanizer who reforms for love of you).

Hee---yes, she was special enough to transform him!

I became a little worried about the revival when I thought of Everwood, a show cancelled despite a mighty fan campaign to save it. The show received a series finale that nicely tied off all the loose ends. The fans were devastated to see the show go...until, that is, they learned what the showrunners had planned for Season 5 had it aired. The series' cancellation then looked less like a tragedy and more like a very lucky escape.

I loved Everwood as well and agree wholeheartedly. Maybe I'm just keeping my expectations low to avoid disappointment, but I really can't help but feel that I'd rather much of this be left to our imaginations than have it played out definitively on screen so many years after the show concluded. 

My predictions:

Luke and Lorelai continue bickering and sighing their way right down the aisle and then please most non-me fans by discovering that they're going to have their own children---probably twins like the dream from LHCD (interestingly, IMO they had more chemistry and joy in that dream than at almost any point in their actual relationship!) I hope there's a little more chemistry, happiness and basic compatibility this time around, but based on how AS-P wrote them through most of S5 and S6, that may be asking too much! 

Rory is a wildly successful journalist who's facing some ethical dilemma about a Very Important Story she's been asked to cover. Maybe it's an expose of Logan's father, thus bringing him right back into her life (in a painfully contrived way, but still!) Jess and Logan and maybe even Dean have had other relationships along the way but are all still pining for her despite the reasonable objections raised above because that's just how this show rolls :)  Before I'd heard that Alexis is pregnant in real life, I'd figured they'd resolve the question of who she ends up with either really ambiguously or with her choosing to be single for awhile. As much as I dislike L/L as a couple, they have a large following, while fans seem more divided as to who (if anyone) Rory should be with, so I figured the writers might not want to risk alienating a large segment of their fanbase by having her definitely choose one guy over another. But now that AB is pregnant,  I'm half-hoping, half-fearing they choose another route. I wouldn't put it past AS-P to, for example, have her pregnant with Logan's baby after an unexpected one night stand but to have her raise that baby with Jess or...something. 

My dream revival would involve Luke and Lorelai having decided they're happier and better off as friends, Rory realizing she's better cut out for teaching or book editing than journalism, and a huge focus on the Emily/Lorelai/Rory and Rory/Paris relationships over the romances...but I'm not delusional enough to think that any of that will be the reality :)

It should be interesting to compare our predictions/hopes/concerns to what actually materializes on screen! 

I loved Everwood as well and agree wholeheartedly. Maybe I'm just keeping my expectations low to avoid disappointment, but I really can't help but feel that I'd rather much of this be left to our imaginations than have it played out definitively on screen so many years after the show concluded. 

My predictions:

Luke and Lorelai continue bickering and sighing their way right down the aisle and then please most non-me fans by discovering that they're going to have their own children---probably twins like the dream from LHCD (interestingly, IMO they had more chemistry and joy in that dream than at almost any point in their actual relationship!) I hope there's a little more chemistry, happiness and basic compatibility this time around, but based on how AS-P wrote them through most of S5 and S6, that may be asking too much! 

Rory is a wildly successful journalist who's facing some ethical dilemma about a Very Important Story she's been asked to cover. Maybe it's an expose of Logan's father, thus bringing him right back into her life (in a painfully contrived way, but still!) Jess and Logan and maybe even Dean have had other relationships along the way but are all still pining for her despite the reasonable objections raised above because that's just how this show rolls :)  Before I'd heard that Alexis is pregnant in real life, I'd figured they'd resolve the question of who she ends up with either really ambiguously or with her choosing to be single for awhile. As much as I dislike L/L as a couple, they have a large following, while fans seem more divided as to who (if anyone) Rory should be with, so I figured the writers might not want to risk alienating a large segment of their fanbase by having her definitely choose one guy over another. But now that AB is pregnant,  I'm half-hoping, half-fearing they choose another route. I wouldn't put it past AS-P to, for example, have her pregnant with Logan's baby after an unexpected one night stand but to have her raise that baby with Jess or...something. 

My dream revival would involve Luke and Lorelai having decided they're happier and better off as friends, Rory realizing she's better cut out for teaching or book editing than journalism, and a huge focus on the Emily/Lorelai/Rory and Rory/Paris relationships over the romances...but I'm not delusional enough to think that any of that will be the reality :)

It should be interesting to compare our predictions/hopes/concerns to what actually materializes on screen! 

1. I agree about the potential of the finale being preferable to the reality. Be careful what you wish for and all that. Unless the revival is pure fanservice a la Veronica Mars movie, someone's going to be disappointed that the post-finale reality they'd comfortably imagined for their favourite characters was wiped out by whatever ASP dreamed up.

2. Lauren Graham is what, 48? They can fudge her age, but it seems unlikely to me that ASP would write a pregnancy storyline given Lauren Graham's age. On the other hand, I just can't see the revival starting with Luke and Lorelai having had one or more kids in the intervening eight years, although I can't give any logical explanation for feeling that way.

3. I like the idea of Rory touching base with her exes, since for the reasons mentioned in your post and upthread it makes sense that they would cross paths. Jess is Luke's nephew, Emily and Richard knew Logan's parents and moved in the same circles, Dean still lives in Stars Hollow, etc. Where it falls apart for me a little is the idea of getting back together with any of them. I don't know that the fandom being divided as to Rory's most suitable ex-boyfriend would influence ASP. I suspect she had plans to either pair Rory off with someone specific or to keep Rory single and will just follow through with those plans, the fandom be damned.

4. I'm really curious to see what they do with AB's pregnancy, assuming that it's not just a baseless rumour. The revival is supposed to span four seasons, so unless they go with a weight gain storyline--which would be hilarious to me, given Rory and Lorelai's eating habits--it's not as if she can be the same amount of pregnant for a whole year. They'll probably go the usual route to conceal actresses' pregnancies: hiding the bump behind objects, shooting from the chest up, billowy or loose clothing.

5. I love your dream revival ideas. I would love to see some meaningful, lasting rapprochement between Emily and Lorelai. Maybe Richard's death will bring them closer together.

6. I wonder if Rory and Paris remained close in the eight years even though their paths took them in very different directions. I imagine medical school and her residency would absorb Paris' attention. I quite liked Rory's nightmare about Paris having incredible success in her professional and personal life and surpassing her while she floundered. It will be interesting to see if that's played out in any way, shape or form.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1

I just recently heard that ASP wanted a L/C pairing and was surprised.

I wanted an L/C pairing too, personally, but that's mostly because Lauren Graham always seemed so much more relaxed around David Sutcliffe (I guess because they were friends in real life.) I also thought that Luke behaved so poorly in Season 6**, even before the whole April fiasco, that I thought he and Lorelai were better apart.

** = I'm thinking in particular of his hissy fit in season 6 when he found out Christopher had left a voicemail on Lorelai's answering machine and sulked and behaved passive-aggressively all through dinner. I know ASP likes to write her male characters as being alpha types who are prone to jealousy, but that particular scene raised a lot of red flags and just made me uncomfortable. His behavior in "Super Cool Party People" where he's all, "I don't want you to meet April because then she'll like you better!" was pretty appalling too.

Edited by vanillamountain
  • Love 3