Type keyword(s) to search

Gilmore Girls May Get Revived On Netflix?

• Start Topic

It's really not gonna be the same show without Ed Herrmann. It almost seems just a tad disrespectful that they'd even consider doing it without him.

As great as he was, he didn't define the show.  Honestly, if the death of a supporting player held up every revival well... honestly we'd probably be better off, because most revivals turn out to be lame.  But disrespectful?  I can't agree. 

• Love 7

This show was about family, and all families lose parents and grandparents at some point.  At the reunion when Kelly Bishop talked about where Emily would be now she spoke in terms of her being alone now.  So not disrespectful at all to do the revival.  I'm looking forward to it, and very excited to finally see Amy's version of what happened to all of the characters that she created.

• Love 3

I expect to be moved beyond reason by Kelly's new Emily. I really hope and believe that Amy will do marvelous things with that. And after all these years we may finally get to know more about Emily as a person instead of as a wife and mother.

• Love 5

Team Jess all the way.  By the end, MV's last appearance, Jess had finally started to grow up.  It was Jess who got through to Rory, got her to go back to school, all of that.  And then he had that bookstore.  

Can't wait.  I just hope this really happens so we can all finally find out what the last lines of dialogue for the show were really supposed to be.  

Edited to add -- Paris is either clerking for a Supreme Court justice or she's the youngest partner in a gigantic law firm or she really did cure cancer.  I can't wait to find out.  

Edited by 33kaitykaity
  • Love 3

I feel like they should have a funeral scene. Which if done right will be an honor for him and will put audience in tears. I can picture Emily, Lorieli and Rory all standing in front of his grave after the funeral. And Emily actually hugs them.

I also can picture a scene where Emily comes home to their house and it is just feels empty.

As long as we don't have a scene with Rory dusting her multiple Pulitzer Prize certificates. Or one where she is being informed that she is on the Nobel Prize for literature short-list.

Ooh, I would love to see Rory not having made a success of herself at all, having gone out to take the world by storm and fallen flat on her face, working a plain ole job like everybody else. I would kill to see that.

And I didn't know I was in a minority group by liking Jess. I always perked up and paid attention he was on my screen. I would be more than happy to see more of Milo, and he should be easy to hire because I don't think he's involved in anything right now.

• Love 4

Amy Sherman-Palladino should never have talked about her last four words. Seriously, after all this build-up, they cannot be anything but disappointing. I mean, really, it's only four words.

But it's her four words.  

I've always believed that the network wanted AS-P to commit to more seasons than she had planned and that's why she walked away, got fired, whatever.  I've always liked that about her.  

Edited by 33kaitykaity
I've always believed that the network wanted AS-P to commit to more seasons than she had planned and that's why she walked away, got fired, whatever.  I've always liked that about her.

She gave an interview on the subject around the time it happened.  From what it sounds like, ASP and Daniel wanted a two year commitment from the network for themselves (so even if the show ended after the seventh season, they'd still have a development deal for another year), and the network refused, offering both of them only a one year commitment.   

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 1

She gave an interview on the subject around the time it happened.  From what it sounds like, ASP and Daniel wanted a two year commitment from the network for themselves (so even if the show ended after the seventh season, they'd still have a development deal for another year), and the network refused, offering both of them only a one year commitment.

I never understood why they asked for a two year commitment outright when Lauren and Alexis were only contracted for 7 years; in hindsight, I can see why the network balked at giving them that. If I remember correctly, were also rumors around that time that the WB/CW wasn't thrilled with the way the sixth season/April storyline had gone, so that might have also played a factor.

In one of the interviews ASP did for Bunheads, she did admit that she was burned out towards the end of Gilmore Girls - and that before she left, she had asked for money from the network so she could hire outside writers and producers. Ironically, once the Palladinos left, they eventually had to hire a new writing staff and producers anyway.

• Love 1
I never understood why they asked for a two year commitment outright when Lauren and Alexis were only contracted for 7 years; in hindsight, I can see why the network balked at giving them that.

She was asked that question during the interview.  She said something to the extent that even if there was no Season 8, it could have served as a year long development deal.  To me it read like they wanted to be paid for that extra year regardless of what they were actually doing, so maybe that was why the network nixed the idea. 

Milo just announced at the comic convention he was attending in Tulsa Oklahoma that he was contacted by ASP if he would like to be in the new series. He said if the business side of it works out that "of course" he would love to be in it. He said the filming would happen early next year, so the details would have to be worked out.

Here's the article:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/features/milo-ventimiglia-intends-to-be-part-of-gilmore-girls-revival/article_0c2c8ada-51f2-58b7-94f3-2b7b17947b51.html

Edited by Aloeonatable
  • Love 1

I suppose I can live with a Return of Jess, but only in the "he's Luke's nephew, so of course he's still around" sense.  I'd really like to see Rory with either someone new or single because it's preposterous to imagine that anyone, never mind a Yale-educated young woman, would still be pining after her high school/college boyfriends.  If they're more than Facebook friends who can carry on a polite conversation at Thanksgiving, I'll be annoyed.

• Love 3

Jess returning actually works perfect in any story sense and of course as we know, Milo really doesn't have a lot on his plate right now. I love to see Jess has become a successful book writer and continues to run his book store. However, he's moved into eReader and kept up with the times and even holds classes for aspiring new writers or even teacher a GED class. Be a natural move for the character. 

• Love 2

I'd really like to see Rory with either someone new or single because it's preposterous to imagine that anyone, never mind a Yale-educated young woman, would still be pining after her high school/college boyfriends.

If Rory is in a relationship, which is likely since her character would be close to 30, I'm sure it would be with someone new. Jess would be returning as Luke's nephew. What I wish for is some Lorelai/Jess scenes. They had too few in the initial run of the series. 

Jess returning actually works perfect in any story sense and of course as we know, Milo really doesn't have a lot on his plate right now. I love to see Jess has become a successful book writer and continues to run his book store. However, he's moved into eReader and kept up with the times and even holds classes for aspiring new writers or even teacher a GED class. Be a natural move for the character. 

I think Jess would be one of those anti-establishment, "death to the e Reader" types personally. 

Me too! He's a very important part of the show anyway, regardless of what some people say.

that's how I always saw it. and for me - and I say this as someone who doesn't mind Luke at all . I was and always will be, a team Lorelai/Christopher person, and in my stubborn mind, the reason why they divorced was simply because they basically got married on a rebound. Maybe after all of this time, L/C realised they did fit together and got re-married. 

(I'd be okay if it didn't happen, and if it's a L/L - but I would be a touch grumps that Christopher wasn't around. He's important.). 

someone above mentioned being disappointed over the last 4 words. yeah. it's going to be like. "those were it?"

• Love 1

Ya know, I'd actually like to see an appearance from everyone at the reunion. (Except Colin, Finn, and the two girls Rory befriends in season 7.) That doesn't mean I want huge storylines for everyone, but lots of cameos might be fun. I actually want to see April and how she and Luke are doing. I really didn't mind April, but even if you hate her it could be good to see an older more mature version of her. I'd like to see Dean just so they can give him a slightly more positive last impression. I want to see Mrs. Kim being a grandma to 8 year olds.

I always liked Christopher and Lorelai's scenes, even though I ultimately rooted for L&L. But I think it would be good to see Chris in the revival, as long as he is not messing with L&L's relationship.

• Love 7

Krysten Ritter has a big show coming out soon, I think. I don't think Amy would want to bring back a character she didn't create, anyway.

The funny thing is, all of Rory's boyfriends are so deeply connected to the Gilmore universe that it wouldn't feel completely false to have all three come back. Dean is most likely still living in Stars Hollow, Jess is Luke's nephew, Logan is connected to the grandparents through Mitchum and Shira, and if they decide to go ahead with a Richard funeral, it wouldn't be completely unrealistic that Logan (at least the Logan of season 6b and 7) would show up with his parents or on behalf of his parents to pay his respects. For those who fear that it doesn't seem in the realm of possibility that Rory would still be pining after her high school or college boyfriends, I prefer to think of it more as a reconnection, rather than pining. Similar to how, in the Veronica Mars Movie, Veronica and Piz had been broken up in the 8 years the show was off the air and had just reconnected a few months prior. The only way it would make sense to me is if Rory and Jess see each other after years and - as their current, adult selves - feel a new spark and connection. And the reason I mention Jess is because I truly believe that he is who Rory will end up with when the story concludes. If she's not ending up alone or with someone new, it's going to be Jess. I think the way the Palladino's wrote his character into season 6 and the fact that Amy wanted to contract him for 6 seasons and then planned a spinoff around him is enough proof of my personal theory. But that's a discussion for another thread ;)

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I actually would like to see Christopher. I think he's a huge part of the show's canon as Rory's father and especially with the large role he had in the final two seasons, it'd be nice to get some kind of update on how he's doing and how Gigi is doing. Nothing huge, just a couple of scenes or mentions. I don't think Amy would bring him back just to create unnecessary relationship drama at this point unless she truly believes he belongs with Lorelai, with such little time to tell the stories, it seems highly unlikely.

I'm also seeing a lot of discussion around the internet that Lorelai should be pregnant or getting married in this upcoming season and I for one am really against that happening. In my mind, there's no way Luke and Lorelai didn't get married in the 8 years since that graduation party. And a 47-year old Lorelai having a child just doesn't sit right with me, for some reason. I think Luke and Lorelai being married with a 5 or 6 year old would be the perfect situation to open this new season up with.

Also, since news regarding the revival is still being posted in the Media thread, is this just a speculation thread or what? Kind of confused as to where to post about certain things.

• Love 4

Don't forget that one of those girls was Krysten Ritter.

Her character was fine one on one with Rory, but when she and the other girl were together they were just too "on", IMO. Like Colin and Finn. Like they were always rehearsing a scene from a play instead of talking like college kids. They just all needed to be dialed back a notch.

I'm also seeing a lot of discussion around the internet that Lorelai should be pregnant or getting married in this upcoming season and I for one am really against that happening. In my mind, there's no way Luke and Lorelai didn't get married in the 8 years since that graduation party. And a 47-year old Lorelai having a child just doesn't sit right with me, for some reason. I think Luke and Lorelai being married with a 5 or 6 year old would be the perfect situation to open this new season up with.

This is the only interwebs place I "discuss", so I haven't seen that sort of discussion. I agree with you; hells no. What were they doing while bumming around Stars Hollow for 8 years if not having the kids they clearly wanted and agreed on? It's not like they'd have had all the time in the world if they wanted their own genes in the mix, and I'm sure they'd have been aware of that. I could maaaaybe see the wedding happening, if they had perhaps just agreed to exist together sans labels/rings/drama, and some event spurred it on now (Ricard's death?), but no way they're only getting around to a pregnancy at what, 47 and probably 50+? They're either without kids or are already in Stars Hollow Elementary PTA mode.

I watched this show on Netflix for the first time last year.  By the end of my watch I didn't like any of Rory's love interests, though my least favorite was Dean. 

Surprisingly, one of my favorite characters was Lane.  I adored her and Mrs. Kim; at times I thought they had the more interesting mother / daughter relationship.  So here's to them returning, please.  Mrs. Kim would surprise me in ways that Lorelai didn't.

And I want plenty of Emily.  I loved her, flaws and all. 

Edited by amaranta
  • Love 2

Not sure of the significance of the WinterSpringSummerFall thing. Is that so they can get Stars Hollow town holiday activities in there?  Otherwise who cares what season it is?

Will Paul Anka make a return appearance?

Which Paul Anka would that be?

I am not sure Mrs. Kim will still be in Stars Hollow when the revival airs. She may well be in Washington (or on the campaign trail) advising Republican Presidential candidate Ben Carson.

I don't really care if Lorelai or Luke are together at all.  

I just want the show to be well done and consistent in "flavor" with the series I loved.  If they're not together, I didn't exactly think they were a dream couple while they were together.  As long as it isn't all manufactured angst.

I really want Digger to come back....said no one ever. 

I really hope they can figure out a way to get Sookie back. If Bradley Cooper, Amy Poehler and Paul Rudd could all make time for Wet Hot American Summer, Melissa McCarthy can do the same. Basically it's a day or two. They can see Sookie is doing some world tour for a year and just have like one phone two minute conversation with Lorelei/Sookie per episode. 

Edited by XtremeOne1
  • Love 2

Am I the only Luke/Lorelai fan who doesn't need them to be married? I'd be okay with them being happily together yet unmarried.

I agree. I could easily see them having avoided the whole marriage thing altogether out of fear and not wanting to jinx the fact that they were back together. I'm pretty sure that's the direction Amy will go, so that we can see a wedding take place during these four movies.

Sookie has to come back. I realize Melissa's schedule must be pretty packed right now, but I honestly can't imagine her refusing to participate on the basis of her stardom. Gilmore Girls was a good steady paycheck with great material and a terrific cast. I've never heard anything about her being unhappy with the show, so I'm going to go ahead and assume she will be participating.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 1

I really want Digger to come back....said no one ever. 

I actually liked Digger. I thought he was a better fit for Lorelai than Luke was anyway.

Of course I'm the weirdo who thinks Tristan was the best of Rory's love interests. Even though he wasn't really a love interest. It was about the only time I didn't hate Chad Michael Murray. Ah, when we were young and innocent.

I've never heard anything about her being unhappy with the show, so I'm going to go ahead and assume she will be participating.

Various news outlets have reported that Melissa McCarthy will not be in the revival. It's not really surprising. She's really busy and seems to be the main castmember who doesn't have a lot of warm fuzzies for the show -- she didn't attend the ATX festival over the summer, and I don't often see her talking about the show.

• Love 2
She's really busy and seems to be the main cast member who doesn't have a lot of warm fuzzies for the show -- she didn't attend the ATX festival over the summer, and I don't often see her talking about the show.

In fairness to her, as you note, her career has exploded since Gilmore Girls.  I'm sure she's grateful for the opportunities it gave her, but I'd imagine she's not looking back at this point, whether she loved being on the show or not. 

I don't know why but I have this strange feeling she won't even be asked back.

First of all, CBS (or whatever studio produces Mike and Molly) would have to allow her the opportunity. Add to that all the other reasons mentioned above and it isn't likely that she would be part of the revival cast.

First of all, CBS (or whatever studio produces Mike and Molly) would have to allow her the opportunity. Add to that all the other reasons mentioned above and it isn't likely that she would be part of the revival cast.

I completely agree, there are a lot of factors against her unlike Milo Jared, Kelly Bishop, Sean Gunn, ect. I could see them writing her character off due to business opportunities for Jackson or something. They would have to address it no matter what, Sookie was too long a major cast member to GG just like they have to address Richard being gone and sad to say, it is easy to address it with Richard dying. 

If she wanted to do it they could make it work. Even if they went to her and filmed something apart from the other cast members. Like someone above said, it could just be a phone call or a video message or something. If George Clooney aka biggest star in the universe could appear on ER, she ought to be able to throw us a bone and make a cameo of some sort.

• Love 1

Sure CBS could keep her away but CBS isn't NBC with Scrubs. CBS has always been pretty cool with letting their stars do their own thing, especially Melissa McCarthy who they'll probably not want to piss off since I'm sure she's been looking to jump ship for  while now.

I am actually very interested in what they are going to do with the Emily character. I agree with Kelly Bishop that were Ed Herrmann still alive Richard and Emily would be in the exact same place doing what they have always done. Now what? Is she constantly traveling? Over involved in the lives of her daughter and granddaughter (and possibly another grandchild and/or great grandchild)? Is she spending all her time doing charity work? Did she start a business? Is she dating/married? Emily is a great character and I hope they do her justice. 

• Love 5