Type keyword(s) to search

Gilmore Girls May Get Revived On Netflix?

• Start Topic

I don't think they should start exactly with the funeral. I think maybe the first two acts could be happy go lucky Gilmore Crack dialogue possibly lot on the phone with Rory about an impending visit, them followed by a phone call from Emily that something happened. I wouldn't want to jump in to straight depression.

I really like this idea. Maybe Lorelai and Luke at the diner hanging out and talking, maybe wondering if

Rory will be able to come home soon. See if their married or not. Then jump over to where ever Rory's at.

I fear I will spend so much time thinking about with the original recipe and comparing it with the new version that I won't enjoy any of it.

But that's just me.  Maybe I'm too anal altogether.

For me, this is where the automatic re-watch comes in. I have the same experience whenever a new Jane Austen adaptation comes out. The first time through, my mind can't stop comparing it to the book and the 2 or 3 or more film/TV versions that came before it. The second time through the newest adaptation, I can relax a  little and enjoy it on its own merits. The third and fourth and fifth times..... did someone mention being obsessive?  Or as I prefer, focused?  ;-)

For me, it's all about keeping expectations reasonable. On the optimistic side, I think they have the time and the financial support and the will to make this good. I take ASP at her word, and LG as well, that they wouldn't agree to do it if they can't do it 'right'.

On the pessimistic side, it's been a while, and it may take them a bit to get in the groove, and there's the availability questions of everyone's favorite and un-favorite secondary characters. There's no way to make all the fans, or probably even most fans, happy. At least the die-hard, 'focused' ones such as ourselves. We've got too much invested in it.

So in a weird way, I hope they disregard us all, and just go for their creative vision. I hope that vision, that we all fell in love with in some form or another, will be in the new work. Pick away at the show as we do here, we all love it for some basic reasons, and I'm cautiously optimistic that at least some of those fundamentals will come through, in spite of any quibbles I have over the details. 

To sum up, their 'right' might not exactly be my 'right', but it's their work, not mine, and I think some of the original magic will be in there somewhere...

Edited by eledgy
  • Love 5

There will be zero fan input. Amy doesn't do the fan input thing. She wouldn't even allow the actors to have input -- they couldn't change so much as a word in a line from her scripts. This isn't a case like the Veronica Mars movie, which was crowdfunded -- plus Rob Thomas was really involved with fandom. Amy, not so much. (Not saying one way is better or worse than another, just that they're different.)

I kinda hope they skip Richard's funeral altogether. I want some kind of nice tribute to Edward Hermann, but I think having the death and funeral onscreen would just be too depressing. Plus then what else could they focus on? It would be...really bizarre to have Richard die in one episode, then the next...Stars Hollow festival? Lorelai being quippy? That's too jarring and it wouldn't sit right with me. 

• Love 2

I am so psyched for this! But I don't want Paris to just pop in for a cameo. We need extensive subplots with her, in which she goes into full rage-spiral mode and just unleashes a verbose spew of vitriol on someone or something. Repeatedly.

Paris is my MUST for this revival. I miss her so badly. I want her there the whole time. I want scenes of her and Emily. And Taylor. And Lorelei. And Mrs. Kim. May it never ever end.

Also: YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!

• Love 2
By my estimates, she is probably about a year and a half away from leaving office.  So the series will pick up as she's deciding where to go from here.

Please, the Constitution would have already been amended so Rory Gilmore could serve as many terms as she wanted.

I kinda hope they skip Richard's funeral altogether. I want some kind of nice tribute to Edward Hermann, but I think having the death and funeral onscreen would just be too depressing. Plus then what else could they focus on? It would be...really bizarre to have Richard die in one episode, then the next...Stars Hollow festival? Lorelai being quippy? That's too jarring and it wouldn't sit right with me.

I agree.  Given how this show has treated funerals in the past (and no, I will never get beyond Lorelai and Sookie disrupting Fran's funeral so they could assure they get the Dragonfly) I don't know if they could strike the right tone regarding Richard.  Though I wouldn't mind another scene of drunken Emily sitting around the house in her housecoat, smoking a cigarette and reading trashy novels.   

• Love 3

That was totally the best Emily scene ever. Well, she has a lot of really awesome scenes...

I think it makes the most sense to spend some time reintroducing all of the main characters and then have the funeral and the loss of Richard play out. I suspect that might be the context of the first film, to bring Lorelai Emily and Rory closer together for the next three.

Is anyone else still completely giddy over this news!?!? I am so flipping happy!

• Love 1

I just found out about this today and yasssssssss!!!!!!!!  As long as there is no (or minimal) Christopher and April, I'll probably be okay with whatever they do.  I raised my daughter on GG and she's as stoked as I am.  We're already planning what foods we'll veg out with while watching. 

She's currently in her first year of college and I'm always telling her to "Be Rory" when we're discussing her classes...LOL.  We usually marathon S1-S5 during the holidays (we hated 6-7 so we rarely discuss).   This show is so ingrained in us, it's embarrassing.

Edited by FierceAfroChick
  • Love 1

I guess I'm going to finally have to get a Netflix account. Happy to pay to get more Gilmores!!

Aside from the Gilmores themselves, my must-haves are Paris, Luke, Lane, Mrs Kim, Miss Patty, Babette and, oddly enough, Gil. Paris is non-negotiable. Please please please for chrissakes no Christopher, Jess, or April.  Christopher just sucks the life out of the TV screen.

Since Dean built Rory a car out of boxtops and paper clips, I assume Dean now has his own autobody shop in Stars Hollow, working with Gypsy no doubt. Rory will have car problems that create a need to rehash it all again and confirm that she and Dean don't belong together. And if there's a big family funeral, it would make sense to have Logan come to pay respect for the business relationship between the Gilmores and the Huntzbergers. More discussion about how they don't belong together. I have a nasty premonition though that Rory will end up with Jess in the end.

I hope the Dragonfly is successful and not just another forgotten plot thread, and I hope Emily is working with Lorelei and Michel to make that spa idea work.  

Finally, I hope Luke has changed his clothes.  It gets a little sad when 40-year-olds dress like they're 17. And Luke, BTW: the backwards hat is an infallible signal that you're over 35.  Just saying.

I absolutely will not tolerate any talk of or appearances by April. I so so hope Amy does not put her fondness for the actress above our distaste for the entire storyline.

If I can just watch these films instead of having to watch the second half of season 6 and all of season 7, that would be ideal.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 2

I absolutely will not tolerate any talk of or appearances by April. I so so hope Amy does not put her fondness for the actress above our distaste for the entire storyline.

If I can just watch these films instead of having to watch the second half of season 6 and all of season 7, that would be ideal.

That's a tall order, since Amy has been known to use actors who are free because she loves using them. Even if they have no point to the plot. If they were free, AS-P threw them in. Like with Dean's final onscreen appearance. Jared had just landed the role on Supernatural but was free for a few weeks and then came angry, bitter Dean saying things to Luke that made no sense. Jared said he didn't like his final appearance but was good for a paycheck. Same with Rick Sutcliff when: "I'm with Her" was cancelled on NBC. As soon as he was free with no signs of a new show, Amy created the: "Christopher will return and destroy Luke and Lorelai because I can! Bwahhhahaha!" 

• Love 1

Wow I thought I was the only one on that planet. I thought Six was the absolute worst. God I hope they don't bring April back although I suppose it's inevitable.

I also didn't mind Season 7. I didn't hate April though. I'm not sure if it's that inevitable because Vanessa Marano stars in ABC Family's Switched at Birth. Depending on scheduling, she probably won't be able to do more than a couple of episodes. They could recast though. Vanessa is gorgeous now and I enjoy her acting on SAB so I'm not opposed to it.

I'm not a big fan of ASP either, but I am curious about what happened to some of these characters. I'm tentatively in.

• Love 2

A full-on funeral scene might be a bit of a downer given the percentage of the 4-episode run it would take up - we're not looking at 22 episodes to work with.  I'd think a better tribute to Grandpa and Ed Hermann could be something along the lines of some new building at Yale being named after him because of a donation or endowment he left in his will. You could easily have that well after the actual death, when everyone has come to terms with it and adjusted accordingly, and there's also been time to plan/build a new building. It would still be an opportunity for a little bit of sad sentimentality, but also fun reminiscing.

Dean/Jess/Logan can show up simply because they are people that exist*, but in the real world, a 30-year old journalist who left home at 22 to travel the country following a campaign probably will have moved on. If she's in a relationship, someone new makes sense. (* = they technically really would all have a plausible reason to show up given that Dean is probably still lurking around Stars Hollow, Jess is step-family if we assume Luke and Lorelai are together/married, and Logan could easily have some sort of alumni reason to make an appearance at some sort of Yale/Richard memorial whatnot like I mentioned above. That said, it's also a million percent plausible to never hear from/about any of them again...)

It's probably a divisive issue, but I do think I'd like to see Luke and Lorelai with a kid or two, even if they ended up being adopted or something because of age/fertility issues. Luke seemed to really want that kind of family life, so if they are together for the long haul, it seems logical that they'd be chasing a 4-7 year old or two (or even older if they adopted a non-newborn). It would definitely be a nice way to add a new dynamic to the show and have Luke and Lorelai not be the exact same people they were 8 years ago.

I'm really excited to see 2016(7?) Gilmore-ified. What does Lorelai tweet about? What food craze are they in love with (I imagine with their eating habits, they took to speculoos like nobody's business)? And whatever else that I'm not thinking of currently that is different/new /popular since the series ended.

• Love 2

I'm just curious to see how they get all three Gilmore women - Lorelai, Rory, and Emily - back together for an extended period of time. Based on what the show set up, I would imagine they're living very separate lives at this point: Lorelai probably married Luke and is raising her family, Rory is probably off traveling the world as a CNN correspondant, and Emily has probably immersed herself in DAR activities and charity functions after Richard's death.

I imagine Rory and Lorelai call each other and Skype all the time - and  based on the last episode, I'm sure Lorelai still goes to the Gilmore mansion for the occasional Friday night dinner or holiday party, but I'm guessing it's probably been a while since they've spent an extended period of time together in person.

Edited by vanillamountain
  • Love 2

Did anyone happen to watch the show Bunheads? I know it didn't last long, but curious if ASP's ability to write continuity got better and if she's developed the ability to write a coherent storyline without sacrificing character growth/logic/a sense of reality etc...

I'm excited for the Netflix revival, but ASP is such a wildcard writer.

Edited by solotrek
  • Love 2
Did anyone happen to watch the show Bunheads? I know it didn't last long, but curious if ASP's ability to write continuity got better and if she's developed the ability to write a coherent storyline without sacrificing character growth/logic/a sense of reality etc...

Yes.  And no.

• Love 2

All I will say is that an actual plot point on Bunheads was that one of the characters kept her bills in various hat boxes.  She would then have a "paying season" where she would decide which bills to pay, and which bills she did not care to pay.  The fact that she chose not to pay all her bills was something that was simply accepted by the town, and everyone acted like it was some kind of honor that the character would deign to pay their bill during that particular "paying season."  It was completely insane. 

Mind you, ASP never tried that with Gilmore Girls, but the townsfolk certainly got more quirky as the series progressed, so anything is possible at this point. 

• Love 3

I thought it was so bad that I had to stop hate watching it after the first season.  And I don't want Gilmore Girls to be revived if it is good in a "it's so bad that it's good" way. I only want it to be revived if it is so good that it is good.

Bunheads had the characters so removed from reality and AS-P had no idea how the world of dance worked. It was so bad, it was good but at the same time it was full of holes and change of characters on the dime. It was no surprised it failed.

• Love 2

I liked the idea of Bunheads but it didn't quite make sense most of the time. Well, maybe. All of the time no sense was made ;) I enjoyed it but there was no consistent throughout the season.

4 episodes even if they include longer movies doesn't really give way to have a sad moment/episode about Richard, I agree, but he does need to be mentioned. Like I said, I don't want to see Dean but I fear that the powers that be will want to and I don't know why, however the actor who plays Dean is on supernatural so maybe he won't be able to do much of anything, and if so, maybe a short cameo but nothing big.

I think my favorite season is probably season 1, because the show was just so different from anything else on the WB at the time. And I stumbled upon it. The first episode I ever saw was the episode with the twin sisters getting married at the Inn to the twin brothers and I started to watch because their mom was played by an actress from an old show called sisters that my family and I all watched when I was super little and I ended up loving every second of this show and I also feel like the first couple of seasons had a certain magic and I hope it can feel that way again. I agree the back half of season 6 and all of season 7 something felt off about it. 

I won't lie - the writing on Bunheads has me a little spooked too, but I'm holding on to the positive vibes and thinking Amy will be more comfortable in her old stomping grounds.

Mostly likely but I still have the feeling there will be more Chris than we want. I can see either Milo and Jared showing up in the mini movies. Filming schedule is different and Milo is kind of between jobs right now. Supernatural, honestly is on its last legs.

I always believed the problem with Bunheads was that ASP had complete creative control, and I think she's someone who badly needs editing and reining-in.  The dialogue always went on too long, the bits were frequently too out there, and so on.  I hope Netflix doesn't make that mistake.

• Love 4

The opening scene is of Dean arguing with his special forces commander about which terrorist camp they should raid when looking for some American held journalist. The commander asks, "You really want me to ok a raid because one of the terrorist was overheard saying, 'Oy with the poodles', on the parabolic mike?" Dean then starts to recount his days in Stars Hollow. Cue the theme music.

• Love 2

Mostly likely but I still have the feeling there will be more Chris than we want.

Are there any more Christopher stories left though? I thought the last season wrapped up his storyline pretty well: he and Lorelai realized they would always be friends, but that Luke was her first choice. I like Christopher/David Sutcliffe and I wouldn't mind an appeareance or a reference to how he was doing, but I don't know ASP could work him into an "A" plot since he couldn't/wouldn't be a romantic interest for Lorelai at this point.

Edited by vanillamountain

Season 2 of Bunheads was pretty good. I think it just took Amy a bit to figure out what she actually wanted to do with the show. Once she shifted the focus to the teens, the show really blossomed.

I think Bunheads' was at its best during very small, almost plot-less moments, when the characters were just interacting with each other, which was, imo always the strength of Gilmore Girls.  Once you get past (if you can, and I can certainly understand if you can't!) the absurdity of what brought those characters together, the small moments were really pretty great.  It's the grandiose stuff that ASP goes to that makes me crazy - let's skip the Festival of Living Pictures-y stuff and stick to the relationship moments, mmkay? There is plenty of television that goes for the bonkers stuff.

I can't see Christopher coming back some years later to attend the funeral of a man who was his  father-in-law for a matter of months. It is not as if the two were ever close. Perhaps Richard's former business partner Jason will return for the sad event.

I can't see Christopher coming back some years later to attend the funeral of a man who was his  father-in-law for a matter of months. It is not as if the two were ever close. Perhaps Richard's former business partner Jason will return for the sad event.

Richard and Christopher were in contact somehow even in season 1. Richard brought him and his "success in California" up during the first ever Friday night dinner. The whole lot of them always seemed to be linked so I can't see Christopher not going to a potential Richard funeral. Chris was on good terms with Lorelai and Rory after the divorce (at the graduation party), if anything he'd go in support of them.

Considering Jason and Richard were suing each other. Eh...though I'd love to see Jason again. He was a fun character, and even though it'd probably be a complete waste of time to bother featuring him, guilty pleasure.

• Love 1

Christopher didn't attend Richard's mother's funeral so I guess I never saw that close a link between the two families.

And speaking of Canadian actors who might take part in the revival of the show, Yanic Truesdale (Michel) has expressed an interest.

Michel would be welcome in very small doses. I basically want about 150 times more of Paris than him, though.

I have no problem with Gigi being right back as she was one of the characters introduced when the show was still at its peak. There's a lot of history wrapped up in her, so she's welcome.

If we do get into whether or not Luke and Lorelai have had kids, it will be impossible for Amy not to bring April up. I kind of just want to pretend that everything after Rory returned home didn't happen. Heck, I'm even fine with Lane not being married to Zach.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 1

Hmm. I seem to have liked Bunheads a lot more than everyone else posting here!  It had flaws (not that I'd personally really know where and when it was wrong about Dance), but the dialogue and character bits were decent.  It had the funny, the townies, the blathering quirky protagonist.  It was just not as effortless at what it did as early seasons of GG seemed, and of course I could see the dance stuff being BS pissing people off on top of that.

• Love 3
I can't see Christopher coming back some years later to attend the funeral of a man who was his  father-in-law for a matter of months. It is not as if the two were ever close.

He would probably go because Richard is the grandfather of his daughter, and perhaps as a show of support for Lorelai, rather than because of his personal relationship with Richard.  I can't speak for anyone else, but I've certainly attended funerals where I wasn't close to the deceased, but wanted to be there for someone who was close to the person who died.   

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 5

I can see Chris coming for the funeral, despite the problems with Straube and Francine. Both families knew each other for years, so I see that as the excuse for Chris to show up. Georgia would be about 12-13 depending on how they would do the timeline. So, there is your teen angst! Michel would be around, he was the manager of the Dragonfly. If its still around (I'm sure it is), why wouldn't Michel be around too. Sookie and Jackson are the tricky things since both actors are doing a lot now, especially McCarthy. Outside of Jared due to Supernatural, I can see the three of them not being in the mini series despite how much AS-P would want them.  I can see Marty being thrown in there just because he's in-between broadway and TV. AS-P would snatch him up. I see Paris showing up no problem but I don't expect to see Doyle (actor is pretty busy and an Emmy winner now). Same goes for Logan, even though The Good Wife is a sinking ship, CBS doesn't like to let go for their actors (see McCarthy). 

I think once we get closer to see who signs up and a possible air date, then we will have a better idea of the stories. Right now, too much up in the air due to the various actors that were in the. Outside the main 4 of Lauren, Alexis, Kelly and Scott, who knows what everyone else will decide.

whispers...

i hope Christopher is there, because I actually really liked him. .... I'll stay alone in my corner now

I don't care what they do - I just need a town meeting, and some Michel. that would make up for no Paris/Sookie. 

• Love 3
Perhaps Richard's former business partner Jason will return for the sad event.

When Trix died he told Lorelai he was "no good at funerals".  Any other reason for him to show up would be pretty far-fetched.

I think once we get closer to see who signs up and a possible air date, then we will have a better idea of the stories. Right now, too much up in the air due to the various actors that were in the. Outside the main 4 of Lauren, Alexis, Kelly and Scott, who knows what everyone else will decide.

Keiko and the guys who play Zach and Brian (Todd Lowe and John Cabrera) are probably also done deals if they're wanted. They love Gilmore Girls and they adore each other. Also Keiko has a podcast where she watches Monk and gets drunk talking about it. So I love her and hope she's back on the revival.