Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Kill

At Quantico, the recruits are tasked with performing a hostage rescue training exercise that shakes Alex, making her question her ability and whether she should quit Quantico. While in the future, Alex continues to search for clues, finding one that questions the innocence of one of her closest classmates. But is her clue really what she thinks? No one is who they seem.

They really need to tone down the over-soundtracking on this show. Not every scene needs to be treated as a music video.

I'm enjoying Yasmine al Massri as Nimah and Raina.

Aunjanue Ellis was great in Miranda's scene with Nimah.

Good to get some more explanation of Miranda's plan for the twins.

Also, if Simon is sweet on Nimah, Miranda's plans for the twins are going to present a problem.

I don't get why making one mistake in training would make Alex think she should quit Quantico, but whatever. And I can only think Agent CougarTown was trying to get her to leave the program at the behest of her mother, Sita.

Booth is still so boring and flavorless to me. Same with Natalie.

• Love 2

I thought this episode was miles better than last week's.  It's still ridiculous, but in the way that I enjoy.  The characters are beginning to grow on me to the point I almost (ha) care about them -- mostly Shelby, Simon, and Nimah twins.  I think this is mostly because the more the show gets the "this person is suspicious!" bit out of the way early, the more I can trust that these characters are not terrorists (right now I most suspect Liam).  The only thing I really don't like (well, other than the main character's growing Mary-Sueness -- she finally screws up, but of course it's only because the bad teacher's out to get her) is hearing things in the present time scenes that we haven't seen yet in the flashback scenes -- like whatever happened between Alex and Shelby concerning Shelby's parents.  I would prefer to see these things in the same episode they're mentioned, and not have that kind of anvil hanging over future (flashback) scenes.

They made it sound like Simon had joined the FBI only recently because of investigations into his company, but I think we still haven't heard the whole story.

Edited by Senna
  • Love 2

I have to say, pitting the two most boring characters and Simon against one of the more interesting ones in Shelby did not endear me to either Alex or Booth. Especially in an episode where you show Shelby being an awesome if pushy friend.

Unpopular opinion maybe, but I find Simon to be so freaking creepy, so I was fully with Elias checking up on him, like I was on board with Booth's assessment of him last week. The man is sketchy as hell and why anyone would trust him with anything is beyond me.

The twins and even Caleb are really growing on me, but Alex's Mary Sue-ness is a major turn-off, which is a shame but not entirely unexpected. I like Priyanka Chopra but I don't think I've ever really seen her play a vulnerable role in Bollywood. There was that amazingly gullible agent in the Don movies, but even that movie was a battle of the Mary Sues, and one does not win that battle when Shah Rukh Khan is the opposition.

A few quibbles. I'm halfway between thinking too hard over what was likely not considered but Simon's Hasidic friend Oren was in the Israeli Army. Problem is, by his dress and location, he's a Williamsburg Satmar Hassid, who are rabidly anti-Zionist and would not be caught dead in the army. And Satmar don't speak much Hebrew, they speak Yiddish and when they do speak Hebrew, their accent is crazy distinct. (I grew up on the periphery, my grandparents were from Hasidic families and I spent summers in Williamsburg)

I admit, I am pretty happy to see Alex Sue go down. I'll all for female Batman main characters, but she's a bit much. 

Love Simon and his cherry scones and playing all sides. He's shady, but that is kinda awesome. (And Tate, your Hebrew was awesome) 

Like Nima and Raina. They are more interesting than Alex. 

Can someone do me a favour and recap Miranda's plans for the twins?

- Priyanka's acting in that scene where she was trying to be Uber Sassy at Shelby in the gun training scene was incredibly bad.

- Booth's eyelashes --- it's like he uses some super industrial-sized eyelash curler!

- I loved Shelby's look in the future scenes.  So high glam, almost Michelle Pfeiffer in Scarface or something.

Thanks for the tip about Jonathon Gillian.  He's hot as hell and I saw his name in the cast list but never found him on the show.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

Can someone let me know the song that was played with about 4-5 minutes left and lasted about 2 minutes? I couldn't make out the lyrics. Thank you!

Maps for the Getaway by Andrew McMahon In the Wilderness. Canyon Moon from the same artist at the beginning of the show.

IA that Nimah, Raina, Simon and Shelby are the most interesting of the recruits.

• Love 1
Elias is the one I find creepy, what with his stalking of Simon.

I found Elias obnoxiously pushy when he first came onto Simon and just seemed to think they should be bosom buddies and like each other because they were both gay. However, I think his interest now as an analyst who knows there is clearly a lot not right about Simon makes perfect sense and frankly, I would think him a shitty agent if he didn't pursue all the glaring red flags there are about Simon. Because he is absolutely right that some of the greatest threats are the individuals who seem so normal and who have found a way to infiltrate their way into "normal" society.

Simon so far has lied about why he was really in Israel, clearly does not really wear glasses, is likely not gay since per his four "ex-boyfriends" they never had any kind of sexual relations which is why Nima assumed he is a virgin but as Elias noted, he seems particularly interested when looking at and interacting with Nima. Even something as simple as coffee - he is making it but not drinking it, suggesting he's faking that too. Someone like that is CLEARLY lying about who and what they are and doing so for a reason. And again Elias would be an idiot to not pursue and look into it.

And as he made clear to Simon, he's actually building a case to eventually present to the bosses. So his actions don't seem to just be for kicks. He knows something is not right with Simon and is looking to find out what that is and maybe get him kicked out of Quantico, if he is right. And judging by the references in present day about Simon leaving Quantico in disgrace, clearly he did find something.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 5

I have to say, pitting the two most boring characters and Simon against one of the more interesting ones in Shelby did not endear me to either Alex or Booth. Especially in an episode where you show Shelby being an awesome if pushy friend.

It's common in shows whose secondary characters are more interesting than the main protagonists.

So, it now sounds like that somewhere down the line in the Quantico story-line, Alex is going to find out something crazy about Shelby's parents, and it is going to cause friction between them.  Of course, Alex also said this is going to happen after Simon is booted out, so who knows when we're even going to get to that.

The whole thing about Alex doubting herself, was really rushed and silly to me.  So, she messes up one time (after all the times she is damn near perfect?), and suddenly she falls apart?  That's pretty lame.  Basically just an excuse, I guess, to have Booth turn on Liam, and not go through with pushing her out of the program.  They could have found a better way then making Alex look like a sore loser.

At least Nimah is back already, and it sounds like she and Raina are here, because Miranda wants to use them to take on the extremists who has turned her son.  At least that is what Miranda says.  Hope there isn't another lie here.

Simon really is the most interesting character for me, because I have no clue what he is, or where is allegiance lies.

I cracked up over the one shot of Elias trying to peak in on Simon through the door.  Need to work on you hiding skills there, analyst.

Natalie continues to be an one dimensional jerk.  If she was just mean to Alex, I can understand because she might be tired of the praise and thinks it is undeserved, but she was being mean to Shelby tonight for really no good reason.  Thankfully, I at least got to see her get shot in the training exercise, and Shelby be the one to take out the sniper.  Your not as good as you think you are, Natalie.

Not quite up there with last week's gratuitous swimming pool scene, but I'm all for fight scenes that involve Priyanka Chopra, Johanna Braddy, and cuffs!

• Love 1

So Shelby has a half sister and lied to the FBI about being in contact with her? Why?

Simon you're so much more interesting than Alex.

At this point it looks like the FBI placed the bombs solely to frame Alex.

• Love 1

I just realized that Johnathon Schaech is playing Alex's dead dad* in those flashbacks.

*Who I'm guessing is not actually dead.

That's the only thing I can think of that would explain why someone is after her, it has to be something to do with her father. I also don't understand why O'Connor wouldn't just tell Alex she was out, & tried to get Ryan to push her out instead.

I found Elias obnoxiously pushy when he first came onto Simon and just seemed to think they should be bosom buddies and like each other because they were both gay. However, I think his interest now as an analyst who knows there is clearly a lot not right about Simon makes perfect sense and frankly, I would think him a shitty agent if he didn't pursue all the glaring red flags there are about Simon. Because he is absolutely right that some of the greatest threats are the individuals who seem so normal and who have found a way to infiltrate their way into "normal" society.

Simon so far has lied about why he was really in Israel, clearly does not really wear glasses, is likely not gay since per his four "ex-boyfriends" they never had any kind of sexual relations which is why Nima assumed he is a virgin but as Elias noted, he seems particularly interested when looking at and interacting with Nima. Even something as simple as coffee - he is making it but not drinking it, suggesting he's faking that too. Someone like that is CLEARLY lying about who and what they are and doing so for a reason. And again Elias would be an idiot to not pursue and look into it.

And as he made clear to Simon, he's actually building a case to eventually present to the bosses. So his actions don't seem to just be for kicks. He knows something is not right with Simon and is looking to find out what that is and maybe get him kicked out of Quantico, if he is right. And judging by the references in present day about Simon leaving Quantico in disgrace, clearly he did find something.

I find Elias' actions to be very strange. If he's got that much on SImon, he should be going to his boss & give them the info. He's a trainee, he doesn't get to decide to investigate things on his own, & he's not even an agent trainee, he's an analyst trainee, he shouldn't be investigating at all.

How long has it been since they were in Quantico? Apparently Shelby go a full makeover, are they trying to imply a long time has gone by, or that Shelby is all grown up now?

• Love 1
So, she messes up one time (after all the times she is damn near perfect?), and suddenly she falls apart?  That's pretty lame.

I actually find this believable. Alex is clearly a perfectionist and works extremely hard.  I can believe she would beat herself up over making a mistake especially since she is the top student in her class.  She probably feels that there is no reason why she shouldn't have performed well in that exercise.  More importantly, that exercise was the most realistic to date since it simulated intense situations that she will have to face as an FBI agent.  If she freezes during a training exercise where the stakes are low, then can you imagine what would happen during a real life threat?  She is right to question her ability to be an agent if she can't handle fake pressure.  Her mistake would've been fatal in real life. 

• Love 5

So the entire FBI is less than 60 seconds out, they already have remote footage of trained agents encircling the perimeter, and somehow Alex and Simon just... slip right through? Then again, they have a bunch of FBI agents hit up Shelby's house, and none of them even so much as glance at the suspiciously parked SUV right in the front that was sure to move from how Shelby was squirming and kicking?

This might seriously be the most incompetent version of the FBI ever depicted on TV. I half expect Alex to evade a bunch of FBI agents by standing behind the door.

Edited by egnever
  • Love 6

This might seriously be the most incompetent version of the FBI ever depicted on TV. I half expect Alex to evade a bunch of FBI agents by standing behind the door.

I'm guessing you never saw "The Following".

• Love 19

The thing is that so many of the things Elias sees as red flags were not necessary for Simon to be pretending to do. The glasses thing, for example, is so easy to clue into, and is just a sloppy risk to take. Ditto the coffee. Why? Unless you've established some link between "Simon" and "coffee", why even make that your signature drink if you're creating some sort of persona? The only thing that Simon does that makes any sense is if he is pretending to be gay, and even that he is not using to his advantage, so why bother?

The show is not dong its job if I am rooting for Shelby over Alex. But this episode did serve to take Shelby out of the running for Most Likely Terrorist, as it is too soon for the "real" one to be discovered. I'm assuming that Shelby's parents were, as either of the characters (can't recall which) said, "war profiteers", and therefore Shelby is guilty by association, blah, blah, blah. Then the women will bond over the fact that Alex is not a bad agent because her father was, etc.

Speaking of which, Alex being informed of what she already knew about her father (that he was a drinker and abuser) was gratuitous. She, and we, already knew all that.

I still don't get why Miranda is running the twin scam. SHE can't make them both agents on her own. Even with her explanation about her son, all I got out of it was maybe she was interested in infiltrating terrorist groups that try to attract sympathizers and that maybe a set of twin agents might be useful to...I still have nothing.

Oh, well, it's a trainwreck, but I still keep watching. Alex's hair is awesome, and deserves its own credit. As is Shelby's present-day hair.

• Love 2

The whole thing about Alex doubting herself, was really rushed and silly to me. So, she messes up one time (after all the times she is damn near perfect?), and suddenly she falls apart?

Didn't you ever have those straight-A students in high school who would fall apart and self-flagellate if they got a [gasp!] B? I thought Alex was overreacting but I certainly didn't find find it unrealistic. I rolled my eyes back then and I did here as well.

• Love 2
Good to get some more explanation of Miranda's plan for the twins.

Why the ruse for making them one person, though? Why can't they both train openly? Can't they still infiltrate the cells? So dumb.

Love Simon and his cherry scones and playing all sides. He's shady, but that is kinda awesome.

I liked that, too. The creepy analyst who's basically stalking him is gross, but everything he turns out about Simon makes me like him (Simon) more, because it means everyone is wrong about him, including Princess Alex. I also love how we're supposed to hand wave that apparently the FBI has no idea of Simon's sketchy past. He's gay! That's enough to accept him to the program!

So Shelby has a half sister and lied to the FBI about being in contact with her? Why?

Because everyone needs a deep, dark sekrit. And it's now apparent that the FBI has no idea how to conduct background checks on its employees.

How long has it been since they were in Quantico?

Either six or nine months.

Why is no one staking out the houses of the agents Alex was close to at the academy? At least put some thought into things, Show.

This show just gets more and more ludicrous. Right now for me it's even with how enjoyably silly it is, but the balance is tipping further and further to the wrong side.

Edited by dubbel zout
I also don't understand why O'Connor wouldn't just tell Alex she was out

My guess is because he would need legitimate grounds to make that call and convince his superior, since he is clearly not the boss there. Which is why it was little surprise when Booth finally put together that none of what he was doing and asking Booth to do, with regards to Alex, is actually on the books. That's why Booth ignored the request and went above him to convince Alex to stay. 

It was better episode than last one. I am glad they told even if her dad was a good agent doesn't mean he was a good husband or father. 

I have no problem with Elias trying to find information about Simon. What I have a problem with is how obvious Elias is while getting the information to the point that he is hindering someone else's training. Standing in someone else's door in broad daylight and just watching them while they study is not the way you get dirt of someone. He is acting like a gay guy scorned instead of an FBI training agent digging for information. He needs to be more covert in how he gets his information. 

• Love 1

The fight choreography was just terrible, but Alex + Shelby is far and away the best chemistry the show has, yes. 

After 4 episodes in, I only find Alex interesting when she isn't interacting with hot male lead (who suffers from the same affliction that "hot male lead" from Blindspot does: blandness).

This show is definitely not smart TV and I don't expect it to be but I'm beginning to get frustrated with the whole 'everyone has a secret' thing, Can we solve some of these mysteries ASAP please?

• Love 2

Why the ruse for making them one person, though? Why can't they both train openly? Can't they still infiltrate the cells? So dumb.

And each twin only gets half of the training at the academy?

Because everyone needs a deep, dark sekrit. And it's now apparent that the FBI has no idea how to conduct background checks on its employees.

The background checks are awful in this FBI. The blog that I post links to in the realism thread pointed out that a background check would have been done on Alex’s mother. Since she was apparently living with her she would have been interviewed during the hiring process. There is no way she would not know she was at Quantico.

Why is no one staking out the houses of the agents Alex was close to at the academy? At least put some thought into things, Show.

Everyone in this academy class was sent to the NY office? No one went to San Francisco or Birmingham or wherever?

Edited by Cara

I like Priyanka Chopra but I don't think I've ever really seen her play a vulnerable role in Bollywood. There was that amazingly gullible agent in the Don movies, but even that movie was a battle of the Mary Sues, and one does not win that battle when Shah Rukh Khan is the opposition.

Have you seen Barfi? Highly recommended;

I finally got a feel for Ryan this episode and I am inclined to like him for now, because he put himself out there. And I liked the battle of the texts. Regarding Sita's not knowing, I just figured Alex lied and said she didn't get in or decided to drop out. 

• Love 2

How long has it been since they were in Quantico?

Either six or nine months.

Gee -- if they just moved over to "Sleepy Hollow," they could become Special Agents In Charge. Apparently they let new recruits go into management that quickly over there.

Seriously -- the real FBI must be longing for the days when Efrem Zimbalist worked there.

• Love 3

I thought this week they actually showed Alex being good at everything was her weakness. That's why she crashed after one mistake.

I do love the Alex/Shelby relationship, both the friendship and the fighting.

I'm assuming the FBI were suspicious of Shelby's sister because she's from a 'country of concern'. I'm also guessing she's not white.

Loved Miranda this week, both with Nimah and Alex. I thought Alex did need told that just because her father was an agent doesn't mean he was a good man. Also loved her listening to agents CougarTown and CarSex.

The CarSex love triangle is dull.

• Love 2

I really want to like this show. But they are making it too crazy. Everyone has a secret. Everyone is a quasi-double agent. None of it is making any sense to me.

Me too. I'm very close to putting it out of my misery.

The CarSex love triangle is dull.

It appears to be a double-triangle.   CarSex/Alex/CougarTown and simultaneously Alex/CarSex/Vasquez.   And funnily enough, we've not actually seen any evidence of the third corner of the triangle in either case.  

• Love 3
They should really let me write these things.

Of all the bad writing, this really stood out for me (heading into the simulated urban combat): "This aint' shooting skeet at the country club.  This is real".  Uh, no it's not, it's a simulation.  Who writes this shit?

I thought this week they actually showed Alex being good at everything was her weakness. That's why she crashed after one mistake.

This is predicated on the tv notion that people who are good at things are just good at them.  Not like it took tons of practice and countless failures.  I once got good at fencing and I did it by getting my ass kicked for a whole year by everyone.  Getting better did not make me fragile, and the increasingly-rare ass kicking I still got was not a novel, traumatic experience.  The writing in this show is just paint-by-numbers crap that doesn't ring true in any particular.  

Oh, and what's with the 'all LEOs have been told to shoot Alex on sight'?  Can they even do such a thing?  I mean even when we shot Bin Laden, we at least pretended (a little) that we tried to take him alive.  This sounds more like the 'The use of unnecessary force in the apprehension of the Blues Brothers has been approved'.  

Edited by henripootel
  • Love 4

Scene with Alex and Booth in - Shelby's house (? not sure, not paying close attention). Rummage rummage rummage - Alex hears something, says what's that? Booth says - nothing, just an SUV. Alex goes oh, well then, whew! Because I thought it was like, somebody coming to the house but no, it's just an SUV. And continues rummaging. Two seconds later...

• Love 4

I enjoyed this episode, although I would agree that it's getting a little tiring to find that not only does everyone have a secret, but each week we find out that everyone has more secrets than we had previously thought.

Alex:  Yes, we get it.  Priyanka Chopra has long, luscious, full bodied locks.  So ridiculous that in present day when she was leaving the safe house with Simon, her disguise consisted of a plain blue cap with a hoodie over it.  Does she tie her hair into a ponytail and tuck it underneath her cap?  Of course not!  She lets her long, luscious, full bodied locks spill out from the sides of the hoodie.  Not that she's trying to go incognito or anything.  Then later, when she and Simon break into Shelby's house, she apparently decided to ponytail her hair offscreen.  No doubt in preparation for the imminent fight with Shelby!

Ryan:  Still boring.

Caleb:  Not enough of him this episode.  I like him.  There's obviously more to his story, but I'm liking the "I'm stuck with being the analyst oh well" attitude he has.  And I love his nicknames for Shelby.  Blake Lively?  Too funny.

Nimah/Raina:  I guess I was wrong, the nasty, physically weak twin who left was Nimah.  The one who stayed is Raina.  I have no idea who is who anymore or how we are supposed to tell them apart when they don't address each other by name.

Simon:  Who was he Facebook friend requesting at the end?  Guy in the picture looked like him.  I don't care who or what he did or is.  I find Elias' stalking to be downright creepy.  Hanging out at the doorway and staring in, and then walking away when he got caught?

When will we get to see what Caleb and Nimah/Raina are doing in the present day?

So was Alex's family her dad's "undercover" family? She thought he worked in a mill or factory or something! Did he have a "real" family somewhere else?

I thought she knew he had some connection to the FBI, which is why she joined.  She knew her mom was friends with Liam and that's how she got in.  So her dad's name is "Jeff Michaels"?  Is "Parrish" his assumed name?

• Love 2
Then later, when she and Simon break into Shelby's house, she apparently decided to ponytail her hair offscreen.  No doubt in preparation for the imminent fight with Shelby!

and she always manages to have that effortless (and by "effortless" I mean "totally planned and carefully styled") teased crown volume when she puts her hair in a ponytail.

• Love 2

I thought she knew he had some connection to the FBI, which is why she joined. She knew her mom was friends with Liam and that's how she got in. So her dad's name is "Jeff Michaels"? Is "Parrish" his assumed name?

I remember her saying she found her dad's FBI credentials after his death. Until then she thought he was a factory worker.

• Love 1
Alex:  Yes, we get it.  Priyanka Chopra has long, luscious, full bodied locks.  So ridiculous that in present day when she was leaving the safe house with Simon, her disguise consisted of a plain blue cap with a hoodie over it.  Does she tie her hair into a ponytail and tuck it underneath her cap?  Of course not!  She lets her long, luscious, full bodied locks spill out from the sides of the hoodie.  Not that she's trying to go incognito or anything.  Then later, when she and Simon break into Shelby's house, she apparently decided to ponytail her hair offscreen.  No doubt in preparation for the imminent fight with Shelby!

It's really annoying.  I've seen The Fugitive and every other man-on-the-run type show and movie.  Dye your hair blonde and throw away the evidence like a normal caricature.  I'm not the plot point question person but this irks me like no tomorrow.  

• Love 5

I find Elias' stalking to be downright creepy.  Hanging out at the doorway and staring in, and then walking away when he got caught?

Yes, he really is nothing but a nasty little Keyhole Creeper,

A lot better this week. I still find it odd that last week they were taught to depend on each other, only for it to get thrown out the window now since everyone is turning on each other.

Booth left his phone on in the final scene with CougarTown, does that mean that he's working undercover with Miranda?

I was surprised that Nimah opened the door without her hijab. Even if she only saw Miranda through a peep hole (?) most Muslims quickly put something on. When I was younger I opened the door because I saw one of my female classmates. I didn't have a hijab on, because I thought she was only there. Nope...her boyfriend was standing right beside her and saw everything.

Simon:  Who was he Facebook friend requesting at the end?  Guy in the picture looked like him.  I don't care who or what he did or is.  I find Elias' stalking to be downright creepy.  Hanging out at the doorway and staring in, and then walking away when he got caught?

I believe it was the guy he kissed back in the first episode.