Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E09: Robyn's Big Announcement

Null23
  • Start Topic

Call me suspicious but I am not buying Merri's sudden weightless being a surprise it looks like she is wearing a fitness tracker while she is in the kitchen explaining her visit to the doctor and then in the group couch session her bracelet is a lot thicker on top like a Garmin Vivosmart.  BTW I am not seeing any weight loss either #sorrynotsorry

• Love 3

I finally caved and actually watched this atrocity.

Kody in the therapist's office basically admitting that he doesn't listen to Christine because he doesn't want to, Christine starting to figure out that Kody loves Robyn and not her, Meri going to see an OB-GYN like she's never done that before, to get a Pap smear like she's never had one before, Robyn going to her first prenatal visit (with a 12 year old midwife) who didn't do a pelvic exam, not even on the first visit.

After seeing this I figured they're all on Medicaid. It's the only explanation for the medical care they aren't receiving.

• Love 4

Unfortunately I think she means this as a positive thing - Robyn is just the vessel but they are all the mom and just as excited as Robyn is.

I have no doubt she put it out there as a rah-rah tweet for public consumption--'cause Janelle is just a PR sweetheart, isn't she? But I see it as a passive-agressive little dig: "Your pregnancy is good news inasmuch as you're carrying the new kid. Don't think it makes you special. Sweetie."

Edited by SometimesBites
  • Love 8

Janelle is the only wife with whom Robyn doesn't make waves. Meri and Christine on the other hand, have to make nice with her in order to stay on Kody's good side.  Janelle and her kids have never hidden the fact that they don't particularly care for Robyn and her children.  I remember one episode when Meri had to rescue poor Dayton from a beating.

How did I miss that? Do you have any other details?

I watched part of it.  I laughed at Robyn's statements that 1. she had texted several times with the midwife to determine what vitamins and minerals that she needed when pregnant. This is her 5th child, and Sol is 2.  Does she not know the routine by now? and 2, she got sick 1 week earlier into the pregnancy than the first 4 pregnancies - Hello, Robyn, you are in your late 30s.  This pregnancy is going to be a lot harder on you than when you were in your 20s. 

• Love 6

How did I miss that? Do you have any other details?

The family was on a trip.  One of the boys (Hunter, Garrison or Paedon) shoved Dayton. It all happened off camera.  All we saw was Meri yelling that she didn't like the way Robyn's kids were being treated. Christine was very upset because she thought Meri should have handled it differently.  

• Love 1

I call bs on the cancer thing. I just went thru this. Went for my routine exam and pap. They found abnormal cells. Had a colposcopy. That also came back with abnormal cells. Had a procedure under anesthesia to remove a section of cervix to remove said bad cells and an area around them. Never once did my doctor sit and talk about cancer the way meri's Doctor did. I have had the hpv test at least three times and my doctor said it doesn't catch all the strains. Big yuck factor here with 4 women knowingly sleeping with the same man. They should all get tested.

• Love 9

The family was on a trip.  One of the boys (Hunter, Garrison or Paedon) shoved Dayton. It all happened off camera.  All we saw was Meri yelling that she didn't like the way Robyn's kids were being treated. Christine was very upset because she thought Meri should have handled it differently.  

Exactly. They were on an outing and some of the Brown kids were "picking on" some of Robyn's kids--as you say, all off camera. Then the camera crew hears Meri unloading a can of verbal whoop-ass, telling the Brown kids to knock it off. The camera crew rushed over in time to see the end of it, when Meri looked around at the other adults and asked if she could get a little backup. The show was so new at that point that some of them were still worried about looking bad on camera--I think that was probably Christine's main problem with Meri barking at the kids. But Dayton didn't take a beating--that's a bit of hyperbole. :)

Ugh, I just watched this mess tonight.  The quality of the posts in this thread is outstanding, thank GOD you all have validated everything I've thought myself but am too tired to say or I'd be going out of my mind.  I think the producers came up with the Meri potential illness drama because her weight loss and stressed behavior gave them a "hook" of plausibility.  It's similar to what they did with one of the wives on "My Five Wives" where they turned a routine follow up exam into a breast cancer scare.  And was it me or in the coming attractions did Meri make mention of having some "emotional ups and downs" since the divorce?  Is TLC going to capitalize on Meri's very real life emotional turmoil?  Man, is there no depth to which this network won't sink?

I really felt for Christine when Kodoofus had his "lightbulb" moment in realizing that she needs validation.  Wow, he gets the gold star of the year award for that brilliant deduction.  You mean he's been "spiritually married" to this woman for 20 some odd years and he's only JUST realizing this?  And SHE's only just realizing this too? Ugh, and his entire demeanor felt to me like he was in actuality trivializing and mocking the entire process, like this "therapist" on vacation thing was another producer inspired gimmick for the show.  Christine, however, seems to have realized a lot about herself especially in comparing her giving into everything he wants to Robyn's assertiveness.  Unfortunately Christine set a precedent in her relationship with him long ago and after so many years it's going to be awfully hard to change the way she relates with him to be more like Robyn.  She's totally screwed, IMO.

Janelle is immune to Robyn because she's no threat to Robyn.  Janelle has no real romantic relationship with the K-douche and Robyn knows it so she mostly ignores Janelle.  Also, Janelle sits on the sidelines and is very low maintenance so Robyn is not in competition with her.

Meri's getting more orange every week - I think she thinks she's making herself more attractive for her imaginary boyfriend/catfish.  Unfortunately she is mistaken about that - In more ways than one!

I also had gallstones discovered via an ultrasound that was given to me when I had an H-pylori infection.  These days it's like CAT scans and ultrasounds are used for practically everything.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 3

One of the funniest things about Robyn's angst over how will the other children respond to her pregnancy is the belief that the decision is any of the kids' business.

I remember reading a letter on Dear Abby or Ann Landers many years ago about a couple who didn't want to have another baby unless the toddler they already had gave his permission. The advice columnist's answer was something to the effect that nobody in their right mind leaves such a decision up to a child. Likewise, nobody in their right mind cares if the kids are okay with another baby in the family. It's not like asking them if they want a puppy. There are many things children are entitled to opine about, but a new baby in the family is not one of them.

• Love 3

I didn't want to snark in Meri, because if by chance it is a true cancer scare I don't want to kick her when she's down, BUT I do not buy 30 lb weight loss. I'm sorry, I know tv tends to make people look heavier, but I feel like with 30 lbs there would be a notable difference, the face is generally one of the first things to thin out when you lose weight, and I just don't see it. In fact I would even venture to say she looks more like she gained it. I guess there are other factors like the fact that her clothes are generally ill fitting, but seriously I don't see it.

Oh my good lord, Robyn and her going on and on and on about how everyone's reaction wasn't great with Sol, we get it, in fact a good chunk of us saw it when it came on the first time. I do find it kinda funny that just last week the episode was about him spending time with the girls, and not having a lot of time, so let's add another to the mix.

Kody needs to get his sacred undies out of a knot, what was so wrong with the kids throwing different names around? He makes stupid jokes all the time.

I try hard not to snark on the kids, but Aurora needs to take a several seats. I have spent my share of time with that age group, and they do tend toward dramatics, it does not generally come out as tears of joy every.single.time.

With 19 kids being cancelled maybe Jill can do a crossover as Robyn's midwife.

• Love 4

All Robyn, all the time!

The hair flipping, the ugly fake crying. She can barely squeeze out tears anymore. A midwife and no doctor when you are advanced maternal age? The constant need to have the family rally around her for all her needs. She's exhausting.

• Love 6

All Robyn, all the time!

The hair flipping, the ugly fake crying. She can barely squeeze out tears anymore. A midwife and no doctor when you are advanced maternal age? The constant need to have the family rally around her for all her needs. She's exhausting.

• Love 1

She's also gaining weight. Going the way of the others. as soon as Kody can't get an erection for her he'll take it as a sign from God that he needs another wife. That's how it works for these polygamists, they get an erection, they think it's a miracle, God is picking out another woman for them, pointing the way.

If they hadn't had such a plentiful supply of stupid women, this religion would have died out a hundred years ago.

• Love 14

Most men with any conscience divorce the first wife before marrying the second, and the second before marrying the third.  In his warped mind I think Kodouche thinks he's showing pity on them by not letting them go completely when he replaces them, because in his mind he's keeping them "pure" and "right with God".  Plus what man would want them after they've been "soiled" by someone else?  He also thinks of himself as being generous by taking on Robyn given her divorced status.  I think the only way she got in with Kody is by demonizing her ex, otherwise he would never have thought she had a "legitimate reason" for being divorced.  Meanwhile it's probably one of the things that turns him on about her, that she was with another man at one time.  He can fantasize that she's some kind of slut.

I also think that Kody is an example of why humans are more suited for monogamy than we think we are.  It's only natural for us to concentrate on one sexual interest at a time.  I've read that the "serial monogamy" model is probably what humans are most naturally comfortable with given our history, which means that we are naturally sexually into one person at a time but not the same one forever, which is why the spark fades from most sexual relationships after a while.  Kodouche probably thinks he's being more sophisticated and "Godlike" by not dumping his former interests completely when this happens and instead just takes on a new wife.  I think his interpretation is slanted to ease his conscience, though because if he really wanted to be "Godlike" he wouldn't be a polygamist and put these women through hell in the first place but be married to one woman and remain faithful to her.  Too bad the women just keep drinking that kool aid he and their church feeds them about accepting this situation.  I've said from day one that this religion it tells the women that God wants them to accept polygamy, meanwhile it's only what the men want, and in this situation to a large degree what the K-douche wants.  It's religion used for self-serving purposes.  Wouldn't be the first time but it's certainly a nasty manifestation!

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 7

I hope for Truely's sake that Robyn doesn't have a girl, because she will get pushed out even more.

I see a different scenario.  Kody and his fave wife creating a princess who then is doted on.  Imagine how all the other girls will feel.  

• Love 5

Christine's mom better start finding a new place to live. When she and Robyn were talking, it was very obvious that Robyn doesn't like her. It is just a matter of time until Robyn gets Kody to throw Christine's mom out of the cul de sac.

• Love 9

That's what I meant. If Robyn has a girl then Truely will get pushed aside.

Truely is already pushed aside. During the adoption announcement episode Truely is locked outside on the patio while Kody and his preferred family celebrate.
  • Love 15

Ugh, I just watched this mess tonight.  The quality of the posts in this thread is outstanding, thank GOD you all have validated everything I've thought myself but am too tired to say or I'd be going out of my mind.

This forum has added a dimension of enjoyment to watching this show that I never had before. Now when I watch, I am anticipating what everyone here will say about everything that happens on the show, especially those little looks and glances that are missed by the casual viewer.

That being said, I am getting the feeling that the wheels are coming off big time. Never before have I seen such unvarnished responses and truth come out in their interactions with each other: Kody getting irritated at the kids for making name suggestions, Robyn showing true contempt for Christine's mother, Meri's abject misery radiating out from her on the couch THs, the arrogant and disrespectful way Kody responds to Christine's emotional pain. None of them are working very hard to patch up the cracks anymore for the camera.

• Love 13

This forum has added a dimension of enjoyment to watching this show that I never had before. Now when I watch, I am anticipating what everyone here will say about everything that happens on the show, especially those little looks and glances that are missed by the casual viewer.

That being said, I am getting the feeling that the wheels are coming off big time. Never before have I seen such unvarnished responses and truth come out in their interactions with each other: Kody getting irritated at the kids for making name suggestions, Robyn showing true contempt for Christine's mother, Meri's abject misery radiating out from her on the couch THs, the arrogant and disrespectful way Kody responds to Christine's emotional pain. None of them are working very hard to patch up the cracks anymore for the camera.

And yet, as we are told at the beginning of every show, this lifestyle makes each of them better.  If by "better" they mean "miserable," then yes, they are correct.

• Love 6

I agree, I would have completely lost interest in this show if it had not been for this forum. Even when the moderators suspend my posting privileges (at least once a week I get my knuckles rapped) I like to lurk here and read.

• Love 10

And yet, as we are told at the beginning of every show, this lifestyle makes each of them better.  If by "better" they mean "miserable," then yes, they are correct.

You're mis-hearing the introduction.  It's "This lifestyle makes us BITTER" . . . not better.  LOL.

• Love 19

Most men with any conscience divorce the first wife before marrying the second, and the second before marrying the third. In his warped mind I think Kodouche thinks he's showing pity on them by not letting them go completely when he replaces them, because in his mind he's keeping them "pure" and "right with God". Plus what man would want them after they've been "soiled" by someone else? He also thinks of himself as being generous by taking on Robyn given her divorced status. I think the only way she got in with Kody is by demonizing her ex, otherwise he would never have thought she had a "legitimate reason" for being divorced. Meanwhile it's probably one of the things that turns him on about her, that she was with another man at one time. He can fantasize that she's some kind of slut.

I also think that Kody is an example of why humans are more suited for monogamy than we think we are. It's only natural for us to concentrate on one sexual interest at a time. I've read that the "serial monogamy" model is probably what humans are most naturally comfortable with given our history, which means that we are naturally sexually into one person at a time but not the same one forever, which is why the spark fades from most sexual relationships after a while. Kodouche probably thinks he's being more sophisticated and "Godlike" by not dumping his former interests completely when this happens and instead just takes on a new wife. I think his interpretation is slanted to ease his conscience, though because if he really wanted to be "Godlike" he wouldn't be a polygamist and put these women through hell in the first place but be married to one woman and remain faithful to her. Too bad the women just keep drinking that kool aid he and their church feeds them about accepting this situation. I've said from day one that this religion it tells the women that God wants them to accept polygamy, meanwhile it's only what the men want, and in this situation to a large degree what the K-douche wants. It's religion used for self-serving purposes. Wouldn't be the first time but it's certainly a nasty manifestation!

• Love 2

I know, I've noticed that too, only I can't decide whether it's because the wheels are coming off or because they've realized that most people watch the show for "train wreck value" anymore so they've decided to give us more dramatic grist for the mill to keep us interested (or a bit of both).  I'm sure the ratings would go completely south if they showed themselves as all-happy all the time.

• Love 1

Janelle was also married before. The 2 exhusbands, and any partners they had prior to Janelle and Robyn's entrance into the family circle, were potential STD donors as well. Their advocacy of "purity" is a complete charade.

• Love 4

She's also gaining weight. Going the way of the others. as soon as Kody can't get an erection for her he'll take it as a sign from God that he needs another wife. That's how it works for these polygamists, they get an erection, they think it's a miracle, God is picking out another woman for them, pointing the way.

If they hadn't had such a plentiful supply of stupid women, this religion would have died out a hundred years ago.

ROFL!

I also noticed Robyn getting a little plump, but she's pregs, so she gets a pass. Nonetheless, 40 is around the corner, and soon enough she won't be "too beautiful to cook" anymore, and Kody may go a-huntin' again. That's probably the only way this show can keep going - if he shook up the status quo, and threw off the whole dynamic between his wives. I'd actually like to see a de-throned Queen Robyn. *evil cackle* :-D

• Love 4

Christine's mom better start finding a new place to live. When she and Robyn were talking, it was very obvious that Robyn doesn't like her. It is just a matter of time until Robyn gets Kody to throw Christine's mom out of the cul de sac.

I must have missed something here, can someone please fill me in about Robyn not liking Christine's mother?

• Love 3

I must have missed something here, can someone please fill me in about Robyn not liking Christine's mother?

At Robyn's announcement party, Robyn and Christine's mom were getting food. Christine's mom was making small talk about the baby. Robyn was barely civil to her. It was very obvious that Robyn doesn't like her.

• Love 8

Kody needs to get his sacred undies out of a knot, what was so wrong with the kids throwing different names around? He makes stupid jokes all the time.

That's because when his kids have the audacity to be clever, it takes the big shiny spotlight off of Kody, and Kody can't stand that.  Remember the episode where they all went to Hunter's wrestling tournament, and Kody flitted around the entire episode wearing a school wrestling hoodie and giving us - his poor, stupid audience - tips on the rules of wrestling (some of which weren't even correct)?  I'm sure there are about 4,276 more examples but it hurts my brain to think too much about this narcissistic, denim-wearing, caveman-like, beady-eyed, nasty-haired doofus. 

• Love 16

At Robyn's announcement party, Robyn and Christine's mom were getting food. Christine's mom was making small talk about the baby. Robyn was barely civil to her. It was very obvious that Robyn doesn't like her.

I felt the same, but then I wonder if it's just because none of these adults appear to interact without a camera. I would be shocked if they even gather weekly as a unit. They seem extraordinarily disconnected, I am not sure if we what saw between them disdain, or strained talk of strangers.

• Love 3

I actually do see Meri's weight loss.  Her weight GAIN last season was remarkable.  She may be heavier now than she was Season 1, but last year she was as big as Christine (the too-tight pants did not help).

• Love 5

Kody is the classic type of inconsistent parent that is never going to have the respect of his kids. It's goofy dad one minute, critical dad the next. Their family ethos tends toward the silly--adult dance skits anyone?--yet when a kid just goes with it and CLEVERLY suggest they name the baby "Hash" Kody gets pissy. Sorry but this is the same guy who laughed in the first season when one of the kids said that they were "plyglets." Here's the difference: making a lighthearted joke about the baby's name is now a direct insult to The Queen. I imagine their pillow talk is all fretful Robyn, wringing her wifely hands about the older children not accepting the new baby. *whimper. And so Kody ineffectually beats his chest over the silliest moment imaginable.

I also think that the more time that passes and the more stressful this rodeo gets, the more Kody starts to fall back on how HIS dad was as a father, and Winn Brown has a rep as a sexist hardass. After all, we do learn what we live, and although Kody may be a better dad than his own father was (the jury's out on that...), we're often shocked as parents to hear our parents' voices coming out of our own mouths at the most unexpected moments.

• Love 9

Christine's mother left polygamy and probably prays each night that her daughter will do the same. She's watching her daughter suffer from "PMS"(depression) that a divorce will cure. Christine is the babysitter for Robyn's children while Robyn is "working". Robyn doesn't want to lose Christine, which is why Queen Robyn told Kody to go to therapy with Christine. Robyn sees Christine's mother as a threat to her house of cards.

• Love 3

One of the funniest things about Robyn's angst over how will the other children respond to her pregnancy is the belief that the decision is any of the kids' business.

I remember reading a letter on Dear Abby or Ann Landers many years ago about a couple who didn't want to have another baby unless the toddler they already had gave his permission. The advice columnist's answer was something to the effect that nobody in their right mind leaves such a decision up to a child. Likewise, nobody in their right mind cares if the kids are okay with another baby in the family. It's not like asking them if they want a puppy. There are many things children are entitled to opine about, but a new baby in the family is not one of them.

Yes, I agree but I honestly think Day'un's issue was just a typical repsonse from a teenaged boy who actually understands the biology involved in baby-making and it skeeved him the hell out to picture his sainted mother being defiled by the king of plyg'my...lol

I had sons-if I would have turned up pregnant when they were teenagers, they likely would have vomited...it's just the age.

As for the other kids- you can't force a step-sibling relationship. I doubt Meri going off on the boys like that helped much with Day'un's cause for a while. He had to prove himself to those boys...and obviously has, as they seem to like him fine now. Merging families is hard- letting it happen organically is usually best.

And I know how i was as a teen. If I had my Mother-Aunt-Sisterwife screaming in my face that I had to be nice, I would nod and agree and wait till the next chance I had to get him around a corner..haha

• Love 4

I actually do see Meri's weight loss.  Her weight GAIN last season was remarkable.  She may be heavier now than she was Season 1, but last year she was as big as Christine (the too-tight pants did not help).

I beg to differ.

She was the biggest wife of them all.

Way bigger than Christine. The only difference is Christine obviously shops for plus sized clothing meant for older ladies. I have never once seen Christine in anything tight or revealing. Meri? She dresses like she thinks she is still 15 and on her way to a Whitesnake concert.

• Love 6

I beg to differ.

She was the biggest wife of them all.

Way bigger than Christine. The only difference is Christine obviously shops for plus sized clothing meant for older ladies. I have never once seen Christine in anything tight or revealing. Meri? She dresses like she thinks she is still 15 and on her way to a Whitesnake concert.

Janelle was the most overweight looking, then either Meri or Christine. I have to remind myself that Christine was either pregnant or hadn't lost baby weight for 2-3 seasons, but is looking much smaller now. Meri and Christine both wore those jeans so ugly tight for a while, and it made them look heavier than they were. That, plus the sausage casing long sleeve tees under too snug tanks tops from the Walmart Jr.'s section. I'd crack up if Robyn got fat after this kid, btw.

Robyn is a total dumbass btw, if she's in her fifth pregnancy and doesn't have a general idea of what sort of prenatal vitamins and nutrition she needs. She's even dumber if she can't think to consult one of her Sister Wives, ESPECIALLY Eager Beaver Christine, who has had the most recent pregnancy AND endorsed that green goo they used to sell as a way to meet nutritional needs while pregnant. 

• Love 2