Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Personality Crisis

Brian learns a shocking secret about Rebecca’s late father but worries that telling her will land him in legal trouble. Also, Brian accidentally meddles in Rebecca’s personal life while learning self-defense from her secret boyfriend, FBI Agent Casey Rooks.

Hee!  I am so amused that they actually got Desmond Harrington to play Rebecca's new boyfriend.  Can't believe that Deb and Quinn from Dexter have been reunited! Although, if Keith Carradine shows up as a rival, then I'm going to think someone behind the scenes just wants to parade Jennifer Carpenter's former TV love interests out again.

Interesting episode, in that there was a ton of humor in the first part; the opening video NZT Brian did with the clay figures almost had me rolling; but then it ended on down note, with Brian stopping the bomb plan, but the innocent brother getting killed in the process.  And Brian was even blaming himself and wondering why he couldn't find another solution.  I do think that it is probably good to show that even with NZT, Brian won't be able to stop all challenges, so I know it's not always going to be a cakewalk for him.

The Brian/Rebecca relationship continues to be pretty good.  Really curious about him actually going to show Rebecca the files.  I really hope Mr. Sands doesn't find out about this.  He's already pissed about the lame scotch and the clay figurine in his image.

I'm kind of impressed with the CBS promo department for not having next week's previews just be shot after shot of Bradley Cooper, with the promo guy saying "Bradley Cooper Returns!" over and over again.  Maybe if he actually won one of his Oscar, he would have gotten that...

• Love 5

Once they had the location of the meet, the FBI didn't have to use the brother. The only reason was to lure the target in closer, making the capture easier and more certain. Also, the insistence on the most brutal imprisonment possible is a policy designed to encourage total noncooperation, even fighting arrest to the death. Self righteous posturing may be more satisfying but they're supposed to be there to do a job. Also, getting a reputation for lying causes problems when you really need someone who isn't a naive kid to believe you. 

With competition like Blindspot and Quantico perhaps it's damning with faint praise to call this the best new show?

• Love 1

Do the people who were saying over the past few episode threads that this show is somehow absent any fun/joy still really think that?

I do get that there's a dark underbelly to all of it (and Brian himself under NZT being a much darker person is part of that),but even that has a lot of tongue-in-cheek to it.

• Love 3

Hee!  I am so amused that they actually got Desmond Harrington to play Rebecca's new boyfriend.  Can't believe that Deb and Quinn from Dexter have been reunited! Although, if Keith Carradine shows up as a rival, then I'm going to think someone behind the scenes just wants to parade Jennifer Carpenter's former TV love interests out again.

Me too. I was like Dexter reunion while 2 weeks ago it was Manhattan Love Story reunion.

With competition like Blindspot and Quantico perhaps it's damning with faint praise to call this the best new show?

Of the new shows that I watch I do like this one the best. It keeps me entertained and I do have pay attention more like Jane the Virgin since there is so much going on the screen.

• Love 1

That's how weak this season has been, but this show is definitely more fun to watch than either of those shows.

Me too. I was like Dexter reunion while 2 weeks ago it was Manhattan Love Story reunion.

I liked it to, I wonder if it was deliberate given the main characters.

I was excited to see him too but, kind of annoyed that Rebecca has a love interest at all.  She seems to have a lot going on and I don't necessarily buy it.  This was a return to a fun episode. I enjoyed Brian talking to himself and enjoyed that things didn't work out even though he is on NZT. That is a great lession for him to learn.  I also enjoyed Brian being devistated by the innocent kid getting killed but, I kind of wish that would make him think twice about working for the FBI.  Also enjoyed that he fought back a little bit by telling Rebecca about her dad. Still really enjoying the show.

• Love 1

I like the mix of light and dark, serious/humorous - and they are doing it well.  Shows that are either one or the other usually end up boring for me and usually not all that well done.  Real life is a mix of both so I appreciate them throwing in the goofy and fun stuff.

And, I like the lead characters where I really don't in Blindspot (man, that is show that could use a bit of humor) or Quantico, where most of them, I don't like at all and don't care about them.  

And, I like that she is not snotty towards him as we see so often - as in Castle, the way Beckett has always reacted to Castle's theories with her usual dismissal; other shows, there is antagonism between two such characters and I like they went in this, more realistic (to me anyway), direction.  

• Love 6

Hee! I am so amused that they actually got Desmond Harrington to play Rebecca's new boyfriend. Can't believe that Deb and Quinn from Dexter have been reunited! Although, if Keith Carradine shows up as a rival, then I'm going to think someone behind the scenes just wants to parade Jennifer Carpenter's former TV love interests out again.

I'd love to see David Ramsey pop up. And I'm glad Desmond Harrington's finally put on some weight. He was already alarmingly gaunt toward the end of Dexter but he was skeletal on The Astronaut Wives Club.

This is by far my favorite new show of the season. I'm really liking Jake McDorman so I'll have to check out Shameless, Greek and Manhattan Love Story.

And, I like the lead characters where I really don't in Blindspot (man, that is show that could use a bit of humor) or Quantico, where most of them, I don't like at all and don't care about them.

Agreed, I guess that's part of why it's more enjoyable to watch than those shows.

Edited by Free
  • Love 1

This is by far my favorite new show of the season. I'm really liking Jake McDorman so I'll have to check out Shameless, Greek and Manhattan Love Story.

I don't know about the other two, but Greek was fantastic. It's streaming on Netflix. His character is a douche at first, but he is still great in it.

I continue to love this show. I don't mind Quantico, but this show makes me smile and freaks me out at the same time. I was shocked they killed off the brother, and that Brian told Rebecca the truth about her father so quickly. Sands is still creepy, and Rebecca continues to be awesome.

Edited by twoods

I'd love to see David Ramsey pop up. And I'm glad Desmond Harrington's finally put on some weight. He was already alarmingly gaunt toward the end of Dexter but he was skeletal on The Astronaut Wives Club.

Funny I was thinking that he finally looks as guant as everyone claimed he did throughout Dexter. Like he looked scary thin to me in this episode but on Dexter I was scratching my head everytime I read that complaint. Adore him as an actor, so I am delighted to see him here. I liked the two seconds of niceness we saw him exhibit to Brian at the end of their training session. For some reason that really stood out to me.

• Love 3

Good episode. I too am enjoying this show. In fact, it's the only new show I enjoy. I also watch Minority Report, Quantico and Blindspot (in descending order of enjoyment), but none of them comes close to Limitless for me. I like the mix here of levity with seriousness. It works for me. The claymation was pure joy. Serious squeeage going on here for that.

And it seems about the right time to show that NZT =/= success everytime out of the gate. For my money, they've made some good calls here. The background mystery/story arc with Morra or what happened to Agent Deb's dad adds enough depth without hitting the overload button like Blindspot has (Taylor is "returned to" Weller. gag me.

Who took her. And what happened to her? Then and now? How were all these plots uncovered this far in advance? And by whom? Daylight. The CIA. Beardy guy.

blah blah blah blah that's probably not everything and it's still too much) or Minority Report seems in danger of doing (Vega's dad's death

was a complicated hit (shades of Castle - just say "no")

and the future milkbath scenarios). Plus all of the threads Limitless is weaving actually interest me (unlike Quantico which seems to throw a lot of underdeveloped stuff out there that doesn't seem to flow). I like that there are competent characters besides the hero of the piece, and that they call said hero on the NZT use or that that is possibly all that makes him "qualified," without going overboard on it (side eyeing Blindspot's Reade there). And I really liked that they're already exploring what difference in personality a rational and pragmatic tack makes to a more emotionally centered one. The timing on that feels just right.

And the acting here seems better than in those other shows. In each of those at least one prominent character stands out for me due to plain piss poor portrayal, but not here.

But that's just me. My better half bailed on this one already. It was his second cancellation this season (Blindspot was his first to kick. He likes Minority Report the best (poor bugger) and is still willing to watch Quantico, but that hardly seems a very positive stance.) He found the Limitless stories too convoluted, which I've seen others here agree with. For me it feels like I get rewarded for paying attention, so I like that, but it's a harder show to surf to. I keep thinking that should be a good thing, but I think he has to like a show more to want to pay more attention, and he just didn't like this one enough. (Too silly, amongst other issues. Mileage really does vary, because that's one of the things I liked best.) Here's hoping more of us enjoy it, and it's given the chance to realize its potential.

Edited by krimimimi

I'm really enjoying Limitless. I assume that means it will be cancelled.

Not the ratings thread I know, but so far so good, AFAIK.

In addition to intelligence, NZT must boost the executive function tremendously, because Brian is able to focus on and be very productive at some very time consuming and meticulous tasks, like the email account guesswork he did. And the elaborate videos just to remind/convince his non-NZT self to not do something stupid. Which, very entertaining, and a nice change of pace from his conversations with himself, but it's kind of a stretch that they are necessary or even need to be that elaborate.

If you're the smartest person on the planet, avoiding distraction from your own interesting ideas has got to be tough.

The only thing that bothers me is what a ruthless SOB, Bradley Cooper is. I didn't think his movie character would so easily threaten the lives of innocent people.

I guess I can buy it precisely if he doesn't think the threat will need to be carried out, but making the threat (and putting up a world class bluff) would get him what he wanted/needed.

If you're the smartest person on the planet, avoiding distraction from your own interesting ideas has got to be tough.

Yeah, that would make sense, but they haven't shown that, so I'm guessing there must be some factor that increases focus. They could have an episode to explain this by having some hyjinx when he consumes a substance (food, drug, drink) that dulls the focus, causing him to go off and paint murals of equations etc.
  • Love 1
The only thing that bothers me is what a ruthless SOB, Bradley Cooper is. I didn't think his movie character would so easily threaten the lives of innocent people.
I guess I can buy it precisely if he doesn't think the threat will need to be carried out, but making the threat (and putting up a world class bluff) would get him what he wanted/needed.

I love the darkness and the threats. I would hate if they make Cooper a Noble Villain with a Good Heart or any kind of woobified nonsense like that. Narratively, they need to keep him menacing and more importantly with unfathomable goals.  Leaving Brian in this uncertain and dangerous place is what sets this show apart from, for example, the Mentalist or Psych, etc. We've had wise-cracking geniuses before. This not-very-good-at-being-brilliant-and-scared-out-of-his-mind protagonist is what is fresh.

• Love 5

I agree, I thought Brian's looks of despair and panic whenever he's under threat or pressure from Eddie's camp is very realistic. He's really in deep trouble. Unless he doesn't mind dying a slow and painful death, he needs to cooperate or at least act like he's cooperating with them. It also shows he didn't really think it through before agreeing to the FBI job. If he didn't take it and has no more access to the pills, he won't be in this deep hole that he's in.

Edited by waving feather

Unless he doesn't mind dying a slow and painful death, he needs to cooperate or at least act like he's cooperating with them.

In fact, that is exactly where this show is falling down.  

Brian is the smartest man on the planet, for 12 hours a day.  Yet he spends all the time tracking down one more drug-related murdering dealer, or something.  We need to see him taking some sort of action against the threat of Morra/Sands which is, after all a threat to his parents and other family, as well as to himself.

It just isn't credible that the Brian who is so capable on NZT will sit back and tolerate the Morra/Sands/NZT threat and not kick against the pricks a bit.  

Mind you, his failure in this area doesn't spoil the show for me.  But every time the spectre raises it's head, I'm asking myself "Why isn't Smarty-Pants Brian doing something about this?"

• Love 1
Brian is the smartest man on the planet, for 12 hours a day.

But he's terrible at being "smart" and pretty naive. Plus he's in constant fight-flight mode with no time for reflection and planning. They gave him a superpower without an instruction manual, and he's so caught up in the day-to-day demands (which they portrayed particularly well in the 4 cases at once ep) that he can't just "Same thing we do every night, Pinky" and try to take over the world.

• Love 2

In fact, that is exactly where this show is falling down.  

Brian is the smartest man on the planet, for 12 hours a day.  Yet he spends all the time tracking down one more drug-related murdering dealer, or something.  We need to see him taking some sort of action against the threat of Morra/Sands which is, after all a threat to his parents and other family, as well as to himself.

No he's not.

The tagline where they SAY he's the smartest is bull. How do we know this?  Simple logic. We know hundreds of other people are also taking NZT. At least SOME of them are "protected" against dying. Why would Brian be any "smarter" than them?

Even the FBI, not knowing about Mora and his protected crew, know Brian isn't the smartest person in the world for 12 hours a day. They know NZT is being widely used, even if they think it's killing all those people. Them dying doesn't seem to make them dumber, it just makes them in denial, I'd bet.  So we can't put any stock in that "smartest man" quote we keep hearing repeated. Nobody believes it literally.

• Love 2

Why would Brian be any "smarter" than them?

Okay, let me rephrase:  "Brian is the smartest man on the planet (barring a statistically insignificant number of others, who are also NZT-takersl, and who may be smarter than he is, but there is no evidence to suggest that they are), for 12 hours a day."

This may be more correct, but I think my original got the concept across, and wins points for brevity!  

• Love 1

And from Brian's point of view, he probably started with less. Is 100% of a mediocre brain going to beat 100% of a person who may have been smarter to start with (not saying that's the case for sure with Mora, but SOMEBODY taking NZT probably started smart already). Also, Mora has MORE brains on his side--a clear organization and not just one person and his brain, even maxxed out.

Does ONE genius beat out potentially dozens (or more... who knows how big a conspiracy Mora has built)?  

Not saying the show won't have Brian beat them eventually... but it's fitting they're showing it as such an uphill climb for him, brains or no.

Is 100% of a mediocre brain going to beat 100% of a person who may have been smarter to start with

I could argue that a "mediocre brain" is one that was being utilized to a lesser degree than a "smarter brain" and that when they are both being utilized 100% there is actual parity.

But I'd prefer not to argue, and simply enjoy the show, and wonder why Brian, who demonstrates his brilliance daily, is seemingly ignoring a very unpleasant threat to his mummy and daddy, in order to concentrate all his efforts helping the FBI catch mundane, run-of-the-mill criminals.  And the fact that he has time to go to Atlantic city on a bus, and devise a solution to the problems of everyone on that bus, tells me that he has the time.  And in any case, the pill lasts for 12 hours.  Surely the FBI slave-masters don't force him to have a work-day that lasts longer than 8 hours? 

So, he has the time, he has the ability, he should have the motivation, seeing as how he is shown to be very fond of his mom/pop/other family, so why does he do nothing?  Even if he fails every week with a "Tsk! Tsk!" from Morra each time, it would make sense.

Now, as I said before, this doesn't ruin the show for me or anything, because this is my favourite of the new crop.  (I wasn't so sure after the pilot, but the more recent episodes have been very enjoyable.)

• Love 1

I love the darkness and the threats. I would hate if they make Cooper a Noble Villain with a Good Heart or any kind of woobified nonsense like that. Narratively, they need to keep him menacing and more importantly with unfathomable goals. Leaving Brian in this uncertain and dangerous place is what sets this show apart from, for example, the Mentalist or Psych, etc. We've had wise-cracking geniuses before. This not-very-good-at-being-brilliant-and-scared-out-of-his-mind protagonist is what is fresh.

I agree, I thought Brian's looks of despair and panic whenever he's under threat or pressure from Eddie's camp is very realistic.

Both of the above post comments actually could have been about the titular character of Chuck--at least the first few seasons. But Brian does seem more socially isolated. Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

I actually liked this episode a lot. Some of the jokes were really funny, and the switch into the more depressing stuff worked well enough. And they didn't chicken out of killing the younger brother character! Also, it's nice that so much attention is given to the lead's personal and psychological struggles, more than your typical crime procedural. 

it was fun seeing Quinn and Debra reunite, and even once again as two cops dating (I liked Quinn the most in that season when he dated Deb). 

I hope against all hopes that Edward Morra actually is shady or something because him turning out to be a good guy is kinda too predictable. Plus, making the protagonist of a Hollywood movie into a villain would be really cool and unexpected.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 2

Morra is shady. Up and up people don't resort to blackmail.

And the dude wants power, maybe presidential power. That should be regarded with suspicion in everybody, not just TV SF characters. 

The thing is, shady is not quite the same thing as evil. He may be desperate to find out who's behind NZT, because he's afraid of it being misused, as in handed out to people to tap their brains on NZT, regardless of the ultimate lethal consequences. Morra's not doing that yet, he's just threatened to. Maybe he's bluffing? 

Even wanting to be president may not be Evil Overlordish. Maybe he wants to be the big shot and still do good for the country?

Edited by sjohnson

Do the people who were saying over the past few episode threads that this show is somehow absent any fun/joy still really think that?

I do get that there's a dark underbelly to all of it (and Brian himself under NZT being a much darker person is part of that),but even that has a lot of tongue-in-cheek to it.

Not me, I'm having a ball with it. This is easily my favorite new show of the season.

• Love 1

I don't think the show is dark at all. It's neither cynical about humanity as a whole. Nor is it cynical about the audience, assuming it would prefer it's heroes to be decent even if they're not always kickass or supercool. Or that fake dilemmas where the hero "has" to do something awful to save us, because it's in the way the script set it up, is entertainment. It has characters with moments of weakness, indifference, pettiness, selfishness and ambiguity about all of these things. It has perils, physical, social and moral. But that's not darkness, I think.