Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E13: No Body Shame/S02.E14: Big Girls Summer Showcase

• Start Topic

I think the issue with obesity is that there are a segment of obese people that do have hormonal/genetic issues, but a lot of people claim to have these maladies which makes it harder for people who genuinely have an issue. Estimates put the number of people with PCOS in the US at about 5 million.  The US population is 318.9 million.  That would put the percent of people with PCOS at under 2% of the US population.  However, approximately 35% of the US population is obese.  And not every person with PCOS will be obese.  So there is a very small percentage of the obese population that got that way because of PCOS...even if you put the numbers in the best possible light.

The only point I would want to make is the reason I think obesity is seen as more of a personal choice than is anorexia is because, along with people who have a medical condition that may hamper weight loss and encourage weight gain, you have a much larger number of people who claim medical issues when their weight may honestly be caused by personal choices.  The ones that many of us would make if we could.  If I could get away with eating whatever I wanted and never working out and remain a normal size, I would totally do it.  I would not choose to not eat anything or to throw up.  That doesn't sound nearly as fun as eating whatever I want.

Not to mention that there are people with PCOS who are able to lose weight.  By most accounts PCOS makes weight loss difficult, but not impossible.  But weight loss will almost always be impossible if you are eating poorly.  And everything about Whitney, to me, screams that she doesn't actually want to put in the hard work to change, but that she simply wants unquestioning acceptance by society.  And I think your situation is different, which stinks because I think its people like Whitney who are obese and don't want to put in that hard work that almost discount your hard work.  Which stinks.

• Love 1

Let me just say first off that I mostly agree with you, but think it is easier for some people to tackle their weight than others for reasons that may not be under their control.  On the surface Whitney doesn't look like she should have a rough time losing weight, but she actually may given her hormonal issues.  It may not be only a matter of changing behavior.  Even if she changes the behavior the results may not be so fast.  With people like Whitney there may be metabolic and genetic issues at work complicating things.  And I'm not even addressing the reasons for her weight GAIN either in that statement.

Also, and this is addressing the overweight vs. underweight perception in society in general - I noticed around 10 years or so ago a shift in conceptualizing anorexia as closer to a psychiatric condition, at least in the media and professional accounts.  I have also noticed a corresponding shift in public opinion to see the condition as a tragedy, but "not completely the person's fault" as a result.  They have an "illness" and so are not quite as responsible for their condition as the obese are.  Even though in that time the medical community has basically said that genetics can play a strong role in obesity the public has not really changed its perception, and continues to look upon obesity as more of a character flaw in the way of 2 of the seven deadly sins, specifically the sins of sloth and gluttony.  Anorexia however, IMO, is not looked upon as linked to any sins, but perhaps is seen as more of a weakness or mental condition, two things which IMO the public sees as more understandable and less morally culpable than obesity.  Individual responses of course can vary.  One of my best friends insists that in her daughter's high school there are many students who would bash anorexics as badly as the obese, but I'm not talking about what goes on in a high school but in the general public's perception.  I see the public being "very annoyed" with anorexics but in general I don't see them lining up to throw stones at them as if they have just committed one of the seven deadly sins like they do with the obese.  Again, feel free to disagree.

No doubt some people have genetic, metabolic, or hormonal issues that make losing weight more difficult than for others. Thing is, though, that obesity is an epidemic in America, whereas it is nowhere near as prevalent in Europe. This tells me that there is something else at play other than health problems. I believe it is that Americans simply eat too many calories, and have trained themselves to need too-big portions (often of unhealthy foods) to satisfy hunger. When an obese person gets a gastric bypass -- they lose weight. It's only because of calorie restriction. If someone like Whitney sticks to a 1,200 calorie (or whatever appropriate number of calories for her weight/height) eating plan, and is consistent about it, and makes sure to do some kind of movement for 30-60 minutes a day, most days of the week, consistently for many weeks ... she will lose weight. From what I've seen, Whitney is very inconsistent with her diet, and still feels the need to drown her diet-frustrations with a giant vat of ice-cream. It's not PCOS that's the main culprit here.

Re: attitudes toward anorexia vs. obesity -- I don't know if one has it worse than the other. They both have it bad in different ways, and are both stigmatized by negative labels. Both also need to work hard at developing a healthier relationship to food! The problem with anorexics' recovery, generally speaking, is that as they get better and gain weight, they struggle with seeing the weight gain as desirable. Their ideal scenario is to recover from the illness without gaining an ounce (by definition not possible). Obese people, on the other hand, look and feel better as they see the results of restricting calories. So, while it's really hard to cut calories and be hungry, the reward of weight loss becomes the motivator to keep working at it.

• Love 4

The shorts that Whitney tried on in the store seemed to fit fine. (Not the lycra beige, but the dress shorts.) She said they would ride up, but they were long enough that they would not have, IMO.  She should have tried them.  I think the fact they were not stretch is what bothered her.

Whitney is not a perfect person, but I don't mind seeing her flaws.  It seems the show started out with her trying to show how she could do so much while still being super sized.  As it turns out, she is limited and her health is being effected.  She's revealing that and the pain it brings to her.  I like that part of a reality show.    

They also show her being spoiled, immature, demanding and lazy at some things.  I think that's how most people are.  We all are flawed in some ways.  She's not great at losing weight,  We see that and we see how it's impacting her.  Obesity is a complex issue.  There are no simple fixes.  She has failures like anyone else does.  I hope we can see her journey and that she will find success with weight loss.  She admits she is not able to function the way she wants to.  But, she's trying.  

She's riding bikes, walking, swimming, dancing, seeing a nutritionist, seeking medical care, training with a trainer, etc.  It would be easier to just stay in bed for someone her size.  But, she's still moving.

With all her faults Whitney still seems like a jewel to me.  She's a good friend, educated, hard worker, loves animals,  is very devoted to her friends, cares about others, helps with charities, hangs with her parents, supports others who are down on themselves, is generous with her time and resources, isn't afraid to laugh about herself, and is still open to finding love in this world.  I find that inspirational.  Oh, and she's not all preoccupied with a fancy house and car.  That's pretty refreshing. 

• Love 4
She's riding bikes, walking, swimming, dancing, seeing a nutritionist, seeking medical care, training with a trainer, etc.

I guess my question is:  Is she?  Or has she done each of these things once for the cameras?  I would be more interested in the show if we got at least a HINT that these things were happening on a regular basis.  I do some of the above regularly; others from above I have done in the past.  I do not stick to my diet and my workout schedule is sporadic.  No one would want to watch me waffle back and forth on this issue while losing and gaining the same 5 lbs.  And that's how I feel about Whitney.  If she were doing these things regularly and making some sort of progress, no matter how uneven, I would be more interested in her story.  Weekly wacky adventures that go nowhere are wearing thin to me.

• Love 5

I guess I'm in the minority but I like Whitney, I think she's doing a good job so far of getting her message across,  I loved the video.  I'm rooting for her, until I see a reason not to.

I like Whitney, too.  In fact, I wish I personally knew most of the people I have seen in this show (particularly Babs!).  They all appeal to me in different ways.  And kudos to that great "big girl dance" group.

I think that Whitney is a beautiful woman just as she is, but I worry that her weight is going to destroy her health completely.  For her sake, I wish that she would find a good psychotherapist who would help her understand why she is eating in such a way to maintain that weight and risking so much for the transitory pleasure she gets from a comforting meal at the sacrifice of her long term well-being.

What Whitney is doing with her NBS campaign is admirable, but for her sake I would like to believe that she will start taking care of herself more, at least for now.

• Love 3