Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E13: No Body Shame/S02.E14: Big Girls Summer Showcase

• Start Topic

Whitney creates a video for the No Body Shame campaign that she hopes will go viral. Meanwhile, Whitney announces which member of the Big Girl Dance Class will perform a solo at the Summer Showcase.

A dress rehearsal goes awry when the Big Girl Dance Class get an opportunity to perform with experienced professionals.

That red top in Whitney's messy room showed that the whole thing was just staged for the show...can't they at least try and make things a bit real. She hasn't worn clothing that size in 15-20 years I imagine, so why would she take the top with her when she had just moved?

• Love 1

That red top in Whitney's messy room showed that the whole thing was just staged for the show...can't they at least try and make things a bit real. She hasn't worn clothing that size in 15-20 years I imagine, so why would she take the top with her when she had just moved?

Staged or not I just can't get over how bad this show makes Whitney look. Spoiled, lazy, entitled, gluten, selfish, poor hygiene, inappropriate clothing. I'm not saying this is all fat people, it is clearly not the case but when Whitney claims she is trying to change the public perception of fat people the last she could do is not go on TV and parade around all the ugly stereotypes about them. 

And side note, I had a guy come in the office yesterday that was at least as fat as Whitney probably quite a bit fatter and he was wearing khaki shorts. I would not call them a flattering fit but they clearly exist, and when I say not flattering I mean really not flattering. I'm in the camp that Whitney refuses to wear non-stretch clothing because she would have to find things like khaki shorts in a men's big and tall store and truly confront what size she is and not just squeeze herself in leggings that are way too small and as such constantly rip. 

Edited by John M
  • Love 2

It's not impossible to find women's khaki shorts in Whitney's size.  It might take a lot more effort than a size 8, but they exist, and if you're a girl that size, you know where you can buy clothes.  Old Navy carries plus sizes up to size 30W, and has khakis now and khaki shorts in season.  She also could have bought full length khakis and had them hemmed to an appropriate length, which could have avoided the ride up problems.  We saw her try some on and she just didn't like the fit, but it looked a whole lot better than the nude leggings, even if they ride up.  She does seem in denial about what size she actually wears though, which might be contributing to her ripping pants.  She mentioned on the show she was looking for a 4X, and I actually LOL'd at that.  I'm 5'4" and a good 100 lbs less than Whitney and I wear a 2X-3X, and can wear a 4X without them falling off.  I know people wear their weight differently and sizes can vary dramatically, but there's no way she's stuffing herself in a 4X without pushing the limits of spandex physics.  No wonder her pants are bursting.  I suspect part of the issue is that fitted pants with a waistband are much more uncomfortable for her than stretchy ones so she avoids them and has lost touch with reality on buying clothes that fit.  In reality, dressing your actual size is much more flattering than stuffing yourself into too-small clothes because the number on the tag makes you feel better.  

Something like these would have been a good compromise, and though expensive, this site has them up to an 8X.  I could see if the concern was cost, but that doesn't seem to be the case here- Babs seems more than willing to foot the bill for her clothing needs, and even if she doesn't, investing in work pants for a job where you'll be paid should more than balance out.

Sorry to beat an overweight horse, but it just makes me mad.  I've always gone out of my way to make sure my clothes met any uniform or dress code requirements, even when it was inconvenient or required a significant effort for me to do so.  I wouldn't dream of putting the burden of my clothing dramas back on an employer, much less showing up for work dressed inappropriately and expecting them to accommodate me.  And they did have uniform shirts ready for her that fit, so they more than held up their end of the bargain!

Edited by Shibori
  • Love 3

Again, I feel very torn by Whitney. I do like her, I feel like she is a nice person, but she is playing up this image for the show way too much. I don't understand what the big deal is with cleaning up her room. Most of her mess looks like it was mostly clothing. Don't throw that shit on the floor when you get home. That's it. It is shameful to think that a 31-year-old woman has plates and forks and cups all over her room and has to be admonished by her roommate to clean. Come on, girl. You're better than this.

• Love 2

Staged or not I just can't get over how bad this show makes Whitney look. Spoiled, lazy, entitled, gluten, selfish, poor hygiene, inappropriate clothing. I'm not saying this is all fat people, it is clearly not the case but when Whitney claims she is trying to change the public perception of fat people the last she could do is not go on TV and parade around all the ugly stereotypes about them. 

And side note, I had a guy come in the office yesterday that was at least as fat as Whitney probably quite a bit fatter and he was wearing khaki shorts. I would not call them a flattering fit but they clearly exist, and when I say not flattering I mean really not flattering. I'm in the camp that Whitney refuses to wear non-stretch clothing because she would have to find things like khaki shorts in a men's big and tall store and truly confront what size she is and not just squeeze herself in leggings that are way too small and as such constantly rip. 

I'm sure that when Whitney started, she and TLC both lied to Whitney and told her that her show would be about defeating stereotypes.  

I feel like at this point if you go on a TLC reality show, you should be prepared for them to make you look like the worst possible version of yourself.  It doesn't help that Whitney needs attention and constant validation.

• Love 3

I'm sure that when Whitney started, she and TLC both lied to Whitney and told her that her show would be about defeating stereotypes.  

I feel like at this point if you go on a TLC reality show, you should be prepared for them to make you look like the worst possible version of yourself.  It doesn't help that Whitney needs attention and constant validation.

She's giving them a goldmine to work with. I'm not even 2 years older than Whitney and she reminds me of someone just graduating from high school with her maturity level. Everything from her complete lack of business knowledge to her inability to even buy proper clothing when it clearly exists is sub-par for someone in her age range. I don't doubt that she is sincere in wanting to help people but she blames a lot of her issues on her weight and I don't feel like that is really the problem.

• Love 5

Her video was well-produced. I just wish it didn't have SO MUCH of her in it. It's more impactful to talk about how we shouldn't shame people for their physical appearance when you are talking to people for whom it is truly entirely beyond their control (like the burn victim). That was a better representation of "you don't know what a person is going through/has gone through, so don't judge" than Whitney's obesity, which, sorry, is largely within her control if she would just get help for her food addiction.

I was really proud of her dance student (the soloist, whose name escapes me right now) for getting through that routine. She was so nervous but she did great. 

• Love 2

She's giving them a goldmine to work with. I'm not even 2 years older than Whitney and she reminds me of someone just graduating from high school with her maturity level. Everything from her complete lack of business knowledge to her inability to even buy proper clothing when it clearly exists is sub-par for someone in her age range. I don't doubt that she is sincere in wanting to help people but she blames a lot of her issues on her weight and I don't feel like that is really the problem.

I have my doubt that helping people was really her primary goal.  I think thats how TLC sold the show to her so that she would feel good about it.  But I think in her heart of hearts Whitney's goals are to a) get attention, b) get people to tell her she is wonderful, and c) have a platform to tell "her side of the story" so she isn't judged.  I'm sure on social media/FB she gets an overwhelming amount of positive attention and I think things like that are very important to her.  

I think for Whitney, helping others would be an incidental benefit of the show....at best.  Whitney seems to mostly want attention and acceptance for her.  I guess this isn't entirely different from anyone on a reality show.  But as other say, it sorta stinks, because it does feed into a lot of the stereotypes that people have about fat people and in that way she doesn't do much service to the "fat acceptance" movement.

• Love 1

I don't doubt that she is sincere in wanting to help people but she blames a lot of her issues on her weight and I don't feel like that is really the problem.

Her weight is clearly a problem but I think it is more of a symptom of her maturity level, she won't take responsibility for herself and a healthy diet, we see her in a grocery store it it looks like a 8 year old has been handed a credit card and told to go to town. Sure I would love to eat candy and junk all day and if I did I would be as fat as Whitney but instead of going to Walgreens and buying a bag of candy corn for lunch (I inexplicably love candy corn) I am eating a healthy lunch. Grow up Whitney, this is not cute.

• Love 6

Her weight is clearly a problem but I think it is more of a symptom of her maturity level, she won't take responsibility for herself and a healthy diet, we see her in a grocery store it it looks like a 8 year old has been handed a credit card and told to go to town. Sure I would love to eat candy and junk all day and if I did I would be as fat as Whitney but instead of going to Walgreens and buying a bag of candy corn for lunch (I inexplicably love candy corn) I am eating a healthy lunch. Grow up Whitney, this is not cute.

Yes I think that is the key. It's just not that cute at 31 to be living the way she does. It's embarrassing and no one is going to take you seriously. 

I am FAR FAR from an example of how to eat healthy, but if I weighed 400 pounds with health issues I'd like to think I'd take that shit seriously and get my act together.

*eats peas for lunch*

• Love 2

I remember being 8 and thinking that I couldn't wait to become an adult because than I would have my own money and I could buy all the Snickers bars I wanted.  Adulthood did not work out that way.  BTW, I loved candy corn too...my sister makes this mix of candy corn and peanuts, its addictive.

• Love 1

So, she expected the Grasshopper organization to be the ones to hire and pay for a professional designer to make a graphic off of her drawing? To help HER? Ugh.

Every time she mentions NBS, I think, "ok, awareness and...? I don't think Whitney knows what she wants NBS to be.

• Love 2

So does anyone know what was done with the video?  Or was it just made for this show?

The thing with the dirty dishes all over her room:  any nutritionist, therapist or article in Cosmo will tell her that one of the first things she should be doing is sitting down at the table to eat her meals.  So as long as there are dishes in the room, I am going to assume binge eating/cheating on her food plan.

• Love 2

I don't think we should be so hard on Whitney. She's stressed out from working two jobs. Two jobs!! She must have said that at least 5 times last night.

One of the jobs is the dance class; even if it meets twice a week and she does some prep work for it, I'd say that's 4 hours a week, max. And I'm pretty sure the Grasshoppers job is also part time, and mostly made up for the show. Sorry, Whitney, we all know you really only have one job and that's being on a reality show.

Edited by absolutelyido
  • Love 4

So does anyone know what was done with the video?  Or was it just made for this show?

It's on her "No Body Shame" website and YouTube, here:

http://nobodyshame.com/video-gallery/

I was inspired by the focus on the no body shame and the dancing but wish they would spend more time focusing on her diet/exercise progress or lack thereof.   I personally don't think it's such a big deal that she can't keep her room neat and she can't get her wardrobe act together.  I know a lot of really mature thin people a lot older than her who have difficulty with both things and it really says nothing about their character or work ethic or whatever.  Also, Whitney has mentioned being tired a lot and we know she snores.  She once mentioned going for a sleep study but whatever happened to that?  I personally think she might have sleep apnea, which would explain the fatigue.  Plus at her weight it probably takes more out of her to dance and be so active.  Speaking of sleep apnea, it can also be the cause of weight gain in that it makes a person hungrier to be tired from lack of sleep and more apt to snack.  Plus I have read that sleep deprivation itself might cause weight gain just by virtue of putting more stress on the body and making a person more tired and less likely to exercise.  Dieting itself can lead to fatigue which would make a person have less energy to focus on cleaning up after themselves.  In addition to the jobs, Whitney mentioned the dieting as one of the reasons she wasn't keeping it together in her room.

• Love 2

I have my doubt that helping people was really her primary goal.  I think thats how TLC sold the show to her so that she would feel good about it.  But I think in her heart of hearts Whitney's goals are to a) get attention, b) get people to tell her she is wonderful, and c) have a platform to tell "her side of the story" so she isn't judged.  I'm sure on social media/FB she gets an overwhelming amount of positive attention and I think things like that are very important to her.  

I think for Whitney, helping others would be an incidental benefit of the show....at best.  Whitney seems to mostly want attention and acceptance for her.  I guess this isn't entirely different from anyone on a reality show.  But as other say, it sorta stinks, because it does feed into a lot of the stereotypes that people have about fat people and in that way she doesn't do much service to the "fat acceptance" movement.

I absolutely agree with you. I want to like Whitney, because she's not sad and hopeless like some of the other hyper morbidly obese people we've seen, and hasn't completely lost her way. I like to see people of all sizes living their lives and not letting their size define them. But I think you nailed it. Whitney wants attention first, and helping people second (or fifth or tenth). Otherwise she would be turning the attention to her campaign rather than herself.

And oh, have I had enough of these "awareness" campaigns. We are aware of breast cancer, obesity, bullying, and autism. Stop "spreading awareness" and do something. Is she doing anything to actually solve the problems differently abled people face? Or just being like, hey, I'm fat, get over it? There's a difference. Awareness only goes so far. If there's something that's not widely known, spreading awareness could potentially help. Like the Kony 2012 campaign had actual potential. But instead it was just Internet slacktivism. Whitney could be helping people stop bullying others, but instead she's just whining about her own problems--many of which are of her own making--when she could be turning the attention on some of the people she's supposedly trying to help.

• Love 3

I think Whitney is what I would call a "wounded healer" in that she of all people knows what it's like to be rejected and judged negatively based on how she looks and through affirming other people she is attempting to herself.  She benefits from the attention and sharing of her story but if telling it and living her life the way she does helps other people well "party bonus".  I don't have a problem with that, myself.  I think she is only mildly narcissistic.  I have known much worse than her.  I don't think Whitney's primary focus is to get the thin world to accept her, but to get other fat people to accept themselves and screw what the bashers think.  Haters gonna hate anyway, nothing you can do about that.  I personally think that a lot of what is interpreted as fitting the negative stereotype of a fat person is just that, an interpretation, not necessarily the reality.  But that's just my opinion.  Whitney isn't brash and uncouth or has no manners because she's fat, it's because she's those things, period.  But I don't think it matters what she is, any of her negative traits would still be tied to her being fat.  I don't think she can get away from that, unfortunately.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 5

I absolutely agree with you. I want to like Whitney, because she's not sad and hopeless like some of the other hyper morbidly obese people we've seen, and hasn't completely lost her way. I like to see people of all sizes living their lives and not letting their size define them. But I think you nailed it. Whitney wants attention first, and helping people second (or fifth or tenth). Otherwise she would be turning the attention to her campaign rather than herself.

And oh, have I had enough of these "awareness" campaigns. We are aware of breast cancer, obesity, bullying, and autism. Stop "spreading awareness" and do something. Is she doing anything to actually solve the problems differently abled people face? Or just being like, hey, I'm fat, get over it? There's a difference. Awareness only goes so far. If there's something that's not widely known, spreading awareness could potentially help. Like the Kony 2012 campaign had actual potential. But instead it was just Internet slacktivism. Whitney could be helping people stop bullying others, but instead she's just whining about her own problems--many of which are of her own making--when she could be turning the attention on some of the people she's supposedly trying to help.

I said this in my previous post but I don't think her primary focus is on how the rest of the world treats or thinks of fat people, but how fat people think and feel about themselves.  I think she knows that trying to change the rest of the world is futile anyway.  She could be freaking Mother Teresa as far as I'm concerned and there would be people lining up to call her negative things.  She can't win and there is no stopping bullying like that.  I don't think she could say or do anything to make those people think differently, but that's just my opinion.  I think she's on a better and potentially more successful track in preaching a message to other fat people (or otherwise bodily challenged) to help them change how they feel about themselves.  And about turning the attention to her campaign, she IS the campaign so that would be a little hard to do, I think.  I do think she is self-centered but I personally think that for a person of her age and generation she's not doing so bad.  I don't see her as being all about herself.  But I don't expect her to be a martyr for a cause or whatever.  She can still teach others that it's OK to put the focus on themselves and like themselves by living that out in her own life.  I don't think that's a bad thing because there are people who could benefit from that message.  And I think that in time she will grow to be a little less self centered.  I can see that she really does have good intentions at heart so I think it will happen in time if she keeps doing what she's doing by trying to help other fat people feel better about themselves.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 2

Y'all probably think I was a horrible adult if you met me...lol. I'm 3 years older than Whitney and currently live with my older sister (both of my parents are deceased so living with them is not an option, or at least I hope it isn't. But in my defense I have lived in my own, I just moved in with my sister so I could go back to school full time to become an RN. I admittedly have the diet of a 6 year old, I eat cereal all the time (usually captain crunch), tonight's dinner was Mac and cheese. My room is generally a mess, because honestly, I'm a messy person (messy not dirty,., my room is clean just cluttered with clean laundry, books, note cards, notebooks etc.

But that is not the point I came here to make. What I wanted to say is that I think the no body shame is a good message, I'm not denying that at all, but a lot of the time Whitney is the one who brings up her weight, not the other person, I'm sure it's a defense mechanism, and she would rather make fun of herself than leave the opportunity for someone else to say anything... But the world is not as against her as she seems to think. Like when they were talking about feeling like they were on the titanic and she said "paint me like one of your fat girls" nobody said anything about her weight, there was no reason for that adjective.

Lenny was saying her confidence is the best thing about her, but honestly I don't think she is that confidant, I would venture to say she seems extremely insecure. I don't blame her for being insecure, it's completely understandable.

As much as I snark, I do want her to be successful, I don't doubt that she is a nice person. I just wish she would get a clue in a few aspects, like her ho. With the grasshoppers.

• Love 5

I think Whitney is what I would call a "wounded healer" in that she of all people knows what it's like to be rejected and judged negatively based on how she looks and through affirming other people she is attempting to herself.  She benefits from the attention and sharing of her story but if telling it and living her life the way she does helps other people well "party bonus".  I don't have a problem with that, myself.  I think she is only mildly narcissistic.  I have known much worse than her.  I don't think Whitney's primary focus is to get the thin world to accept her, but to get other fat people to accept themselves and screw what the bashers think.  Haters gonna hate anyway, nothing you can do about that.  I personally think that a lot of what is interpreted as fitting the negative stereotype of a fat person is just that, an interpretation, not necessarily the reality.  But that's just my opinion.  Whitney isn't brash and uncouth or has no manners because she's fat, it's because she's those things, period.  But I don't think it matters what she is, any of her negative traits would still be tied to her being fat.  I don't think she can get away from that, unfortunately.

See, I think she does care what others think.  I think its why she is always so quick to put the blame for her weight on PCOS.  If her true message was "no body shame" it wouldn't matter why she was fat, it would only matter that you shouldn't shame her for it.  Because her message should be that you shouldn't shame anyone for their body fat no matter why they got it.  But she doesn't want people to negatively judge her, she wants acceptance and attention and not to be judged, I don't think she gives much of a care about anyone else.  A big part of her message is "don't just me for being fat because I have a medical condition" not really "don't judge anyone no matter why they are fat."

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 1

I said this in my previous post but I don't think her primary focus is on how the rest of the world treats or thinks of fat people, but how fat people think and feel about themselves.  I think she knows that trying to change the rest of the world is futile anyway.  She could be freaking Mother Teresa as far as I'm concerned and there would be people lining up to call her negative things.  She can't win and there is no stopping bullying like that.  I don't think she could say or do anything to make those people think differently, but that's just my opinion.  I think she's on a better and potentially more successful track in preaching a message to other fat people (or otherwise bodily challenged) to help them change how they feel about themselves.

I can see that she really does have good intentions at heart so I think it will happen in time if she keeps doing what she's doing by trying to help other fat people feel better about themselves.

Really? She is all but diabetic, she can't shave herself, she can barely walk 5k or do her job because it exhausts her, she barely fits in her SUV, she constantly rips clothing, she claims she can't wear normal clothing because of "chub rub", she can barely maneuver through her own home, she can't dance, example after example about how her obesity is making her life miserable yet she can't find any self-control or even managed to act like an adult.

Why of all people should she be telling fat people to feel better about themselves? As far as I can tell she lives a pretty hellish existence, maybe her message should be not love your morbidly obese self but don't end up like me.

Edited by John M
  • Love 3

See, I think she does care what others think.  I think its why she is always so quick to put the blame for her weight on PCOS.  If her true message was "no body shame" it wouldn't matter why she was fat, it would only matter that you shouldn't shame her for it.  Because her message should be that you shouldn't shame anyone for their body fat no matter why they got it.  But she doesn't want people to negatively judge her, she wants acceptance and attention and not to be judged, I don't think she gives much of a care about anyone else.  A big part of her message is "don't just me for being fat because I have a medical condition" not really "don't judge anyone no matter why they are fat."

I think if Whitney cared what people thought that much she wouldn't be "letting it all hang out" on TV the way she does.  Judging from her video, I think part of her message is not to assume why people look the way they do - Not to assume that it's because they're lazy, immature or whatever people call her.  She also mentioned people who were under stress, or had other life situations that contributed to their weight, so it's not just about having a medical condition.  I think she thinks people should have empathy for anyone who is overweight for any reason because usually there are some pretty compelling reasons if you scratch the surface, that might just require some empathy to understand.  And I personally think that's a valid message.  Is that caring what others think?  Perhaps.  But she's not willing to make herself look perfect just to change people's minds, which tells me she's not really that concerned with what people think in the end.  She is not apologizing for fat people or herself.  It's take her and the message or leave it.  If some people get the message, that's great but she can't change how everyone's going to react.  Some people will see that and have empathy, others won't.  I don't blame Whitney for being pissed off that people judge her character or her maturity based on her appearance.  Could she stand to be more mature and have more of her own life together?  Sure, but that's not the point.  She doesn't have to be Jesus Christ to preach the message, IMHO.

By the way, there is some medical evidence that stress alone can make a person gain weight no matter what they eat because of the change in hormones when under stress.  But Whitney's take on that didn't even include that, just that grief, stress or other emotional states can potentially lead one to being fat for whatever reason, and that people should not judge people based on that.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 4

Really? She is all but diabetic, she can't shave herself, she can barely walk 5k or do her job because it exhausts her, she barely fits in her SUV, she constantly rips clothing, she claims she can't wear normal clothing because of "chub rub", she can barely maneuver through her own home, she can't dance, example after example about how her obesity is making her life miserable yet she can't find any self-control or even managed to act like an adult.

Why of all people should she be telling fat people to feel better about themselves? As far as I can tell she lives a pretty hellish existence, maybe her message should be not love your morbidly obese self but don't end up like me.

See above, that I don't think she has to be Jesus Christ to preach the message (so to speak).  I see it as quite the opposite.  I think she is trying to get a message across to fat people who hide themselves under a rock and feel horrible about themselves that she too has those issues but she doesn't let them hold her back - She continues on with life and attempting to achieve her goals no matter what, even if she may fail at some of them.  I think it's a very validating message for a certain segment of obese young people out there who believe that they can't do what she does because they're fat.   I actually have come to believe that her message is not primarily for the general public because as I said before, either they will get it or they won't.  I think I get it.  I have been thin and since menopause overweight and my mother and grandmother struggled with obesity for a large portion of their lives and I know how difficult it was for them, so I think perhaps my history has given me a certain empathy to get where Whitney is coming from.  Jeez, I could probably stand to benefit from Whitney's message myself - I don't even want to go to my high school reunion next year because of my weight gain.  I used to be a hottie when I was young and a lot of my female classmates stayed skinny (some that I know of even had plastic surgery!).  Even 5 years ago at the last reunion I was 30 pounds thinner.  I feel like hiding myself under a rock because I don't want people to judge me.....I only wish I had half of her courage to not care what people think, really.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 6

Judging from her video, I think part of her message is not to assume why people look the way they do - Not to assume that it's because they're lazy, immature or whatever people call her.  She also mentioned people who were under stress, or had other life situations that contributed to their weight, so it's not just about having a medical condition.  I think she thinks people should have empathy for anyone who is overweight for any reason because usually there are some pretty compelling reasons if you scratch the surface, that might just require some empathy to understand.  And I personally think that's a valid message.  Is that caring what others think?  Perhaps.  But she's not willing to make herself look perfect just to change people's minds, which tells me she's not really that concerned with what people think in the end.  She is not apologizing for fat people or herself.  It's take her and the message or leave it.  If some people get the message, that's great but she can't change how everyone's going to react.  Some people will see that and have empathy, others won't.  I don't blame Whitney for being pissed off that people judge her character or her maturity based on her appearance.  Could she stand to be more mature and have more of her own life together?  Sure, but that's not the point.  She doesn't have to be Jesus Christ to preach the message, IMHO.

By the way, there is some medical evidence that stress alone can make a person gain weight no matter what they eat because of the change in hormones when under stress.  But Whitney's take on that didn't even include that, just that grief, stress or other emotional states can potentially lead one to being fat for whatever reason, and that people should not judge people based on that.

But if " no body shaming" was really about others, it wouldn't matter why they were fat, the message would be to not shame anyone for their body no matter what the reason.  Even if that reason is because they chose to overeat and not exercise.  But Whitney's message has always been "don't judge me because my fat isn't my fault, its PCOS's fault"  Her message is more that she can't make herself look any way, so you shouldn't judge her because the way she looks has nothing to do with her, and she bears no accountability for it, its really PCOS's fault.

To me, if you're saying, "don't shame anyone for their body" it shouldn't matter why that person has the body that they do.  Whether its because they made the conscious decision to over-eat or because of a medical condition.  But underneath it all, that isn't really Whitney's point.  She just doesn't want to be judged, which is why she always wants to talk about how PCOS is the reason behind her weight.

And part of her problem is that she assumes people make these judgments about her solely based on her weight.  If she was 99 pounds and behaved the way she did, I think she would still have a lot of detractors saying that she lacks maturity and accountability.  

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 3

My question is, does Whitney think it's okay to shame someone if they ARE just lazy and sloppy? It is such a good point that she is constantly making sure people know that her PCOS "makes" her fat, so it's not cool to make fun of her. But what about folks who don't have a reason? Agree that she needs to cut the excuses because for her campaign it shouldn't matter why.

• Love 4

Clarewalks, judging from what I've heard in her videos I'd say the answer to that is no, because there are usually pretty compelling and potentially understandable reasons for someone being obese.  Some people were abused in childhood or were abandoned, or felt unloved, or have a lot of stress in their lives.  Perhaps that's "excuse making" and there may be a part of their weight gain that's their fault but I don't think she would say it's OK to bash anyone for any reason because most of the time there are circumstances and emotional causes that show it's not some kind of sin or gluttony but a response to a lot of pain or difficulty in one's life.

I get her anger about people rushing to judgment about obese people, especially because there are far worse things that people do that aren't visible to the eye that they never get bashed for, such as drug abuse to some degree, etc.  Being obese is looked down upon because it can be seen meanwhile there are a host of other things people don't see that are far worse that are invisible, IMHO.  People have nothing but empathy for anorexics, for example, even though that can be seen but hate on obese people, meanwhile their reasons for being obese can be very similar to an anorexic's in reverse.....Go figure.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 5

But if " no body shaming" was really about others, it wouldn't matter why they were fat, the message would be to not shame anyone for their body no matter what the reason.  Even if that reason is because they chose to overeat and not exercise.  But Whitney's message has always been "don't judge me because my fat isn't my fault, its PCOS's fault"  Her message is more that she can't make herself look any way, so you shouldn't judge her because the way she looks has nothing to do with her, and she bears no accountability for it, its really PCOS's fault.

Yes she does say that about herself but she also includes other reasons for other people's obesity in there plus the weight gain that she herself continued to have beyond the weight that the PCOS contributed to, that she herself is responsible for.  She has not stuck to "dont' judge me because it's not my fault" but "don't judge me or other people because there might be compelling reasons for their weight, not gluttony or whatever".  When I listened to her videos it made that quite clear to me.  I can see where Whitney continued to gain weight kind of because of the initial weight gain.  Once it starts it's hard to stop plus eating becomes a way to medicate herself from the pain of being fat - It can snowball.  I don't think she has ever denied that.  The only part that she doesn't take responsibility for is the initial weight gain.

• Love 2

People have nothing but empathy for anorexics, for example, even though that can be seen but hate on obese people, meanwhile their reasons for being obese can be very similar to an anorexic's in reverse.....Go figure.

Nope. I've been very thin (though not anorexic, and not very thin anymore LOL) and been accused of being anorexic, bulimic, told to "eat a goddamn sandwich," etc. The thin are more openly mocked than the fat, that I've seen, because some sick assholes think it's practically a compliment to call someone a stick or bony or disgustingly skinny. It seems also that anorexic people are more cognizant of their food issues than obese people, even if they still aren't able to control those issues. 

Actually, now that you mention it, Whitney should have had a very thin woman (or man) in her video. Wouldn't that have driven the point home?

Edited by ClareWalks
  • Love 1

I think we are getting of course here talking about obesity in general and the mods have already warned us about that.

My question is, does Whitney think it's okay to shame someone if they ARE just lazy and sloppy? It is such a good point that she is constantly making sure people know that her PCOS "makes" her fat, so it's not cool to make fun of her. But what about folks who don't have a reason? Agree that she needs to cut the excuses because for her campaign it shouldn't matter why.

To that point Whitney is lazy and sloppy and factually overeats. PCOS might make things harder but PCOS didn't deliver her that tub of ice cream because she was "hungry".

The PCOS was always bullshit, Whitney is lazy, is it a chicken and an egg? I dunno, I would probably be lazy to if I weighed 400 pounds, it's probably not fun carrying that much weight around.

I honestly believe that Whitney is suffering from severe food addiction for which she needs serious help, that does not make her "fabulous" anymore so than track marks are. Don't love your body Whitney, your body is making you immobile and causing disease that you are completely in control over. 

• Love 2

I hope the mods don't get too upset with us - so far the discussion about obesity (and anorexia) has been related to body-shaming talk featured in Whitney's video. Her video could have been more inclusive, and it certainly could have done without the excuses being perpetuated. Unless Whitney's point is "if you have an excuse, it's okay to be fat," which she has not clarified. Hopefully she will figure out WTH her message actually is. It is odd to me that she claims the No Body Shame Campaign is the most important thing in her life right now, when it seems to consist solely of a few t-shirts and a video.

• Love 2

Nope. I've been very thin (though not anorexic, and not very thin anymore LOL) and been accused of being anorexic, bulimic, told to "eat a goddamn sandwich," etc. The thin are more openly mocked than the fat, that I've seen, because some sick assholes think it's practically a compliment to call someone a stick or bony or disgustingly skinny. It seems also that anorexic people are more cognizant of their food issues than obese people, even if they still aren't able to control those issues. 

Actually, now that you mention it, Whitney should have had a very thin woman (or man) in her video. Wouldn't that have driven the point home?

I think you're right, she should have had a very thin person in her video now that you mention it.  Based on what I've noticed, though, being too fat is far more reviled than being too thin in general in our society, though, individual experiences notwithstanding, and I am sorry you had to experience that.  :(

I think the biggest problem with Whitney's show is that it is not making the points it probably wants to make with the show.  Focusing on Whitney's flaws is only going to undermine her credibility as an advocate, which isn't a good idea.  Then again she may have been better off doing a documentary with a reputable network rather than a "reality show" that uses every cheap trick in the book to get people to watch.  Getting people to watch and getting them to believe in you require completely different focuses, IMHO.

• Love 4

Yes she does say that about herself but she also includes other reasons for other people's obesity in there plus the weight gain that she herself continued to have beyond the weight that the PCOS contributed to, that she herself is responsible for.  She has not stuck to "dont' judge me because it's not my fault" but "don't judge me or other people because there might be compelling reasons for their weight, not gluttony or whatever".  When I listened to her videos it made that quite clear to me.  I can see where Whitney continued to gain weight kind of because of the initial weight gain.  Once it starts it's hard to stop plus eating becomes a way to medicate herself from the pain of being fat - It can snowball.  I don't think she has ever denied that.  The only part that she doesn't take responsibility for is the initial weight gain.

As far as I can see Whitney doesn't take much responsibility for any of her weight.  I mean she can say "yes I'm responsible," but there is almost always a qualifier.  "It's my fault but society was mean so I didn't work out" etc, etc.  It's always about how none of it is really Whitney's fault.  

However, the point remains, if her movement was about no one shaming anyone for their body there wouldn't need to be an underlying  reason for her weight or for anyone else's.  It would be about not shaming anyone for their body no matter how they came about that body.  It would be about not shaming a person even if they simply overate and didn't work out.  But from what I can see, Whitney wants to give these underlying reasons for her weight gain so that she can gain acceptance for her weight by finding causes that allow her not to be accountable for her weight.

Edited by RCharter

Exactly.

People have nothing but empathy for anorexics, for example, even though that can be seen but hate on obese people, meanwhile their reasons for being obese can be very similar to an anorexic's in reverse.....Go figure.

I think you made a lot of great points in your post, but I have to stop you right there. Everyone is different, but this has not been my experience. Yes, thinness is glorified/vilified in the U.S., but I wouldn't call the current climate toward anoretics "empathetic." When you're in the throes of a relapse and want nothing more to be normal in the presence of food and some asshole yells "eat a sandwich!" from their car, or your own sister mentions that meat is for men and bones are for dogs, it's far from empathetic. I won't pretend that people like me have the same problems as obese people--not even close--but let's not pretend that the public at large are kind to us. It would have been nice if Whitney could have some empathy for other disordered people, because let's be real here, there's a very good chance she suffers from an eating disorder herself.

And to the posters who are pointing out that Whitney keeps hammering on PCOS being the reason for her weight gain, I think that's an excellent point. If we're going for NO body shaming, it shouldn't matter why a person is fat, thin, tattooed, of a certain color, wears a certain kind of clothing, disabled, etc. But it seems to matter a lot to her, that whenever she's talking about her weight, she makes sure to mention that it's PCOS's fault.

Edit: sorry for going off topic. I would like to point out, though, that I think Whitney's campaign has potential. If she had some PR personnel, perhaps a business plan, and an actual goal for her campaign (besides "spreading awareness"), I think she could make some real changes. I just think this is more of a side hobby/way for her to capitalize on her Internet fame. I think she'll half-ass it like she has done with many other things, though. It's too bad.

Edited by monagatuna
  • Love 7
I just think this is more of a side hobby/way for her to capitalize on her Internet fame. I think she'll half-ass it like she has done with many other things, though. It's too bad.

I agree.  There seems to be a certain slacker segment of the population for whom "making a viral video and then parlaying" is considered a valid career path to which to aspire.

And I agree that the more we see of Whitney, the more apparent it is that she is developmentally arrested at about the age of 16 or so.  I luuuuurve her parents.  But I'm not sure if their handling of Whitney is the cause or the effect of her immaturity.

• Love 1

I think you made a lot of great points in your post, but I have to stop you right there. Everyone is different, but this has not been my experience. Yes, thinness is glorified/vilified in the U.S., but I wouldn't call the current climate toward anoretics "empathetic." When you're in the throes of a relapse and want nothing more to be normal in the presence of food and some asshole yells "eat a sandwich!" from their car, or your own sister mentions that meat is for men and bones are for dogs, it's far from empathetic. I won't pretend that people like me have the same problems as obese people--not even close--but let's not pretend that the public at large are kind to us. It would have been nice if Whitney could have some empathy for other disordered people, because let's be real here, there's a very good chance she suffers from an eating disorder herself.

And to the posters who are pointing out that Whitney keeps hammering on PCOS being the reason for her weight gain, I think that's an excellent point. If we're going for NO body shaming, it shouldn't matter why a person is fat, thin, tattooed, of a certain color, wears a certain kind of clothing, disabled, etc. But it seems to matter a lot to her, that whenever she's talking about her weight, she makes sure to mention that it's PCOS's fault.

I agree with you that Whitney never misses a chance to blame her weight gain on the PCOS.  I'm sure that when she was experiencing it a lot of people told her to stop eating or whatever and she may have actually attempted to diet and instead of losing actually gained, only to have people accuse her of lying.  I have had that happen to me, so I know what it's like.  I've been in the Jenny Craig counselor's office (and later medical diet doctor's office) showing them the exact daily listing of food with amounts of each one I'd eaten at every meal that week and had them insinuate that I was lying to them and I must not be accounting for midnight snacking or whatever.....So I get the defensiveness.  She still has a lot of festering anger inside of her over that, I'm sure.  I don't think she realizes how copping that stance makes her look like she's not taking proper responsibility for her situation, though.  I think she needs to realize that it's impacting her credibility.  She is the first to admit she had eating disorders even before her weight gain so I'm wondering just how credible she really is.  I really want to give her the benefit of the doubt about this like I would want others to give me.

I think using anorexia on my part was a bad example - I do think that in our culture you can be extremely thin and not be the butt of people's anger/disdain/prejudice, whatever - Certainly much thinner than you can get away with being overweight and not have a lot of that directed at you.  I mean all you have to do is be a double digit size and the bashing begins....I don't count envious bashing either because it's really a compliment in disguise as nasty as it is.  Just an example - I remember back in 2006 when Rachael Ray first got her own talk show - Throngs of people lined up on the internet to call her "fat".  I couldn't believe it because no way no how back then was she anywhere NEAR being overweight.  A little shapely, yes, overweight, no.  So even normal weight people get called "fat", too.  I remember she used to insist she was a size 6, and I believed her because (and this is a little OT) I could pass for her older sister - I am a similar mix of Sicilian and other things, and am just about the same height, body type, bone structure, facial shape, etc., etc.  So I knew that back then she was indeed a size 6.  If she claimed that NOW, however, I'd certainly cry foul, though.  Note that I'm exactly 10 years older than her and notice that she is gaining weight just like I did at her age.  Given how her half sister blew up after menopause, I wonder how she's going to fare.

I can’t for the life of me sympathize with Whitney.  She blames her condition all on PCOS and feels that is the be all and end all and she will remain obese.  I really liked that clip of her dancing when she was thinner. The original video “Fat Girl dancing”, she was big then but now she is has really gained a lot of weight.  It’s not funny anymore. For me it’s just sad and pathetic because she will get to a point where she won’t be able to get out of bed due to her size, she won’t be able to do personal things like shower or toilet habits.  Is Boo-bear going to help with that at that time? 
The no BS campaign again I find a waste of time for the way Whitney is pitching it. Yes, we shouldn’t judge too thin people, too fat people, people with scars, lost limbs etc. But I agree with a previous poster – she is just whining to have people to stop judging her.  If that was the case, then why did she subject herself and her life to be on tv?  You cannot have the good attention without the bad attention. Just doesn’t work that way.
I understand Whitney that you want your life to be an open book, but I found the conversation with her mom uncomfortable. If Whitney wants to go into great detail about how she lost her virginity, well then that’s her business. But putting Babs on the spot on national tv… uh huh. Not cool Whit. No wonder I cannot just like ya.  And the gawd awful painting.  Bab’s fake praising of Whit has come down to an art form if it’s spilling over into praising Lennie’s crappy artwork.
One question to my fellow watchers… why did it show Lennie’s name and ‘Whitney’s boyfriend ?’  I’m questioning the question mark. Has it not been established that they are dating?

• Love 1

One question to my fellow watchers… why did it show Lennie’s name and ‘Whitney’s boyfriend ?’  I’m questioning the question mark. Has it not been established that they are dating?

I think they are dating, but not yet exclusively (or not yet saying "you are my boyfriend/girlfriend" yet). No labels yet! Although according to Facebook they are both "In a relationship." With whom, is not stated.

• Love 2

Agree. I used to work as a therapist in a major hospital eating disorders clinic, and I can tell you that anorexics don't get much sympathy. People are very annoyed with them. Even I would get exasperated, and I was trained to know better!

Also, I had a couple of episodes of depression in my life (very nasty breakups, etc), and always lost tons of weight as a result of losing my appetite. People would taunt me for being "skin and bones", as if it were a compliment, and for being able to eat whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted ("must be nice!!" is what I often heard).  Meanwhile,  I just wished I could get through  a whole sandwich without wanting to hurl.

I don't give special consideration for the obese. People need to learn to eat normally, and take control of their health. I sympathize with anyone struggling with weight issues, whether anorexia, or bulimia, or compulsive overeating -- but eating is a behaviour, and behaviours can be changed with effort. Regardless of the challenges, weight issues can be tackled.

Edited by deedee2
  • Love 4
PRINCELINA, ON 22 OCT 2015 - 7:41 PM, SAID:

So does anyone know what was done with the video?  Or was it just made for this show?

It's on her "No Body Shame" website and YouTube, here:

Thanks!  So I guess it was just made for the show and her website.    I agree with many posters here that she doesn't really know (or possibly) care what she is doing with it, as long as it gives her a storyline/message for her TV show.  So I went and watched it.

Her video was well-produced. I just wish it didn't have SO MUCH of her in it. It's more impactful to talk about how we shouldn't shame people for their physical appearance when you are talking to people for whom it is truly entirely beyond their control (like the burn victim). That was a better representation of "you don't know what a person is going through/has gone through, so don't judge" than Whitney's obesity, which, sorry, is largely within her control if she would just get help for her food addiction.

I thought it ended up being dumb, and had the potential to be much better.  What happened to the interview with the guy with the artificial leg?  I would rather have heard from him and the burned girl and several others rather than the endless clips of Whitney's crappy dancing.  She talks about body shame and having eating disorders as a child, and "no one EVER told me I was beautiful!"  (Wonder what Babs and Dad think when they hear that?)  "No one EVER told me I could be the best dancer even if I wasn't the thinnest!"  (That's cause you're not that great!))  

(Although I must say - if you are paying money to cover your visible body in tattoos, stretch out your earlobes and pierce your face - don't you want people looking at that?  I'm not getting where "BS" comes into that equation.)

While I was on her web site I checked out the "Original Fat Girl Dancing" video, but checked out about halfway through because it was boring.  And the guy in it was not her "dance partner", was he?  It looked like a different guy.  And her dancing is not good, it is unadventurous and dull.  I get that it's something she loves, and I think it's great that she got back to doing it.  I danced through high school and as an adult chubster I still enjoy things like Zumba and barre classes, and if I lived near her I think I'd enjoy the big girl dance class.  But that doesn't make her a good dancer :)

I was inspired by the focus on the no body shame and the dancing but wish they would spend more time focusing on her diet/

exercise progress or lack thereof.

That is what I would like more of as well.  Other than saying "Pasta la vista, baby," what sort of food plan is she following?  Is she making regular visits to the nutritionist and trainer?  Has she gone back to the giant frappacinos?  Is she still eating breakfast?  She and Boo bear should plan healthy meals together and go walking after dinner.  Practical things like that would inspire me more than what I see as her silly vanity projects.

• Love 3

Agree. I used to work as a therapist in a major hospital eating disorders clinic, and I can tell you that anorexics don't get much sympathy. People are very annoyed with them. Even I would get exasperated, and I was trained to know better!

Hell, I got exasperated with myself when I was sick--even now when thoughts pop into my head, I get really annoyed with myself.

Snarklepuss, after some thought I think I can understand where you're coming from. If I were her size, I'd be defensive too. Hell, someone as fit as Beyonce probably gets called fat on the Internet. While her problems may be of her own making, and I don't see a lot of effort to change her habits, and I DO think she's more interested in the attention than effecting any real change, I can understand the defensiveness. I do think there is a bit of hypocrisy in her telling others to love themselves out of one side of her mouth and blaming PCOS for her weight gain out the other; however, she is human and she probably knows how well it would go over if she were to acknowledge her own flaws. I can understand why she's "special"--after all, she DOES have PCOS and it CAN cause weight gain. 200 pounds-plus, worth? Probably not, but that doesn't really matter. It's her excuse, and she's hanging on to it. I do hope she does start to own her stuff, though, because she does have a lot of potential, and she still has time to turn it around. 

There are so many physically disabled people on these and other boards that it kind of bothers me when people abuse their bodies. One of the reasons I bust my ass to stay in recovery is because I am fortunate enough to have otherwise good health and I want to take advantage of it. I've somehow managed not to wreck my body with my past disordered eating, and I feel like not enough otherwise healthy people realize how lucky they are. Sure, mental illness can mess with that, but I only get one body so I want to take good care of it. I think a lot of people--like Whitney--abuse their bodies a lot and get away with it, only to have it bite them later. It bums me out. I hope Whitney's able to start taking care of herself soon.

• Love 5

I am all for no body shaming BUT there's no sense in living in a fairy wonderland about how unhealthy your weight is making you.  By all means, feel fabulous and be happy but don't let it kill you....at some point you have to accept that this overweight is not good for you whether you're happy or not.  Health should be your priority......happiness comes as a part of health and wellbeing. 

I get what she is trying to do but to me it just comes across as denial.  I was a big girl like Whitney and I was never happy....never.  The world doesn't let you be.  No one views obesity as an involuntary accident.....that's why there is little sympathy out there.  The BEST thing I have ever done with my life was getting real and committing to losing the weight I needed to lose to be healthy!  I didn't expect it would make me happy but it did....what a bonus!!  A healthy happy life that I had earned, a life I no longer needed to excuse to make other people feel good about themselves.....

I think I could be totally onboard the Whitney train about NBS if I saw her fully committed to losing weight and getting her health back on track but somehow I don't think Im gonna see that as long as the reality TV paycheques keep rolling in.

• Love 7

I think I could be totally onboard the Whitney train about NBS if I saw her fully committed to losing weight and getting her health back on track but somehow I don't think Im gonna see that as long as the reality TV paycheques keep rolling in.

I ran a 5K today just for fun, and found myself thinking of Whitney. Now, a 5K is easy for me since I'm a distance runner, but I was thinking that if her 5K was approached by a typical Whitney attitude, she probably didn't train at all. If she had done, say, couch to 5K prior to doing the event, she probably would have found it much more tolerable and far reduced her risk of hurting herself. Now, I could be wrong but knowing what we do of Whitney, it's probably fair to assume she took on the typical American attitude of "I tried for thirty seconds, this is too hard, let's go get pancakes instead." A lot of people get discouraged when they don't see immediate, drastic results, and don't realize that physics and thermodynamics dictate what their bodies do, not Jenny Craig commercials, and it takes time to reverse years of abusing your body. It can't be done in one three-mile race. 

The race was easy, relaxing and fun. It bums me out that she didn't have the same experience. Like you, I don't think she will ever really commit to a healthy lifestyle. I hope I'm wrong, because like I've said before, she's got a lot of potential, and I hate to see her throw her life away when she has such potential.

• Love 3

I ran a 5K today just for fun, and found myself thinking of Whitney. Now, a 5K is easy for me since I'm a distance runner, but I was thinking that if her 5K was approached by a typical Whitney attitude, she probably didn't train at all. If she had done, say, couch to 5K prior to doing the event, she probably would have found it much more tolerable and far reduced her risk of hurting herself. Now, I could be wrong but knowing what we do of Whitney, it's probably fair to assume she took on the typical American attitude of "I tried for thirty seconds, this is too hard, let's go get pancakes instead." A lot of people get discouraged when they don't see immediate, drastic results, and don't realize that physics and thermodynamics dictate what their bodies do, not Jenny Craig commercials, and it takes time to reverse years of abusing your body. It can't be done in one three-mile race. 

The race was easy, relaxing and fun. It bums me out that she didn't have the same experience. Like you, I don't think she will ever really commit to a healthy lifestyle. I hope I'm wrong, because like I've said before, she's got a lot of potential, and I hate to see her throw her life away when she has such potential.

I think the fact she's found success on being the "struggling fat girl wanting a more accepting world" (sorry if that offended anyone) I doubt she's going to really do anything different. Even after moving out from her parent's place we still see her engaging in bad eating habits, not picking up after herself, etc etc. You are right, she has a lot of potential, given what she did prior to the show proves she has the ability. It's just a shame to see what's happened and what will most likely continue.

• Love 1

Also, I had a couple of episodes of depression in my life (very nasty breakups, etc), and always lost tons of weight as a result of losing my appetite. People would taunt me for being "skin and bones", as if it were a compliment, and for being able to eat whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted ("must be nice!!" is what I often heard).  Meanwhile,  I just wished I could get through  a whole sandwich without wanting to hurl.

I don't give special consideration for the obese. People need to learn to eat normally, and take control of their health. I sympathize with anyone struggling with weight issues, whether anorexia, or bulimia, or compulsive overeating -- but eating is a behaviour, and behaviours can be changed with effort. Regardless of the challenges, weight issues can be tackled.

Let me just say first off that I mostly agree with you, but think it is easier for some people to tackle their weight than others for reasons that may not be under their control.  On the surface Whitney doesn't look like she should have a rough time losing weight, but she actually may given her hormonal issues.  It may not be only a matter of changing behavior.  Even if she changes the behavior the results may not be so fast.  With people like Whitney there may be metabolic and genetic issues at work complicating things.  And I'm not even addressing the reasons for her weight GAIN either in that statement.

Also, and this is addressing the overweight vs. underweight perception in society in general - I noticed around 10 years or so ago a shift in conceptualizing anorexia as closer to a psychiatric condition, at least in the media and professional accounts.  I have also noticed a corresponding shift in public opinion to see the condition as a tragedy, but "not completely the person's fault" as a result.  They have an "illness" and so are not quite as responsible for their condition as the obese are.  Even though in that time the medical community has basically said that genetics can play a strong role in obesity the public has not really changed its perception, and continues to look upon obesity as more of a character flaw in the way of 2 of the seven deadly sins, specifically the sins of sloth and gluttony.  Anorexia however, IMO, is not looked upon as linked to any sins, but perhaps is seen as more of a weakness or mental condition, two things which IMO the public sees as more understandable and less morally culpable than obesity.  Individual responses of course can vary.  One of my best friends insists that in her daughter's high school there are many students who would bash anorexics as badly as the obese, but I'm not talking about what goes on in a high school but in the general public's perception.  I see the public being "very annoyed" with anorexics but in general I don't see them lining up to throw stones at them as if they have just committed one of the seven deadly sins like they do with the obese.  Again, feel free to disagree.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 4

I have also noticed a corresponding shift in public opinion to see the condition as a tragedy, but "not completely the person's fault" as a result.  They have an "illness" and so are not quite as responsible for their condition as the obese are.  

Like PCOS? 

Honestly, I think debating "who has it worse in the court of public opinion" is futile. An obese person and an anorexic person each have their own perspectives on the situation. Both situations suck. Both situations involve health issues that can kill you. I will say that obesity is much more common and has become much more common in recent decades, so unless we are experiencing an absolute pandemic of genuine health problems that cause obesity, it is seen as being more preventable and/or treatable. Especially when you have Whitney eating like a 10-year-old on camera.