Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Pete Martell

Supernatural Media: I Observe, With My Eyes

1 hour ago, Casseiopeia said:

Well this is interesting.  A spinoff that might work?

https://screenrant.com/supernatural-prequel-show-young-winchesters-after-final-season/

For a hot second I was excited about Supernatural for the first time in years. But it only lasted until I realized the date and read the article. Alas, april’s Fool. It was nice feeling something other than dread regarding Supernatural. Almost forgot how that feels.

1 minute ago, Lastcall said:

For a hot second I was excited about Supernatural for the first time in years. But it only lasted until I realized the date and read the article. Alas, april’s Fool. It was nice feeling something other than dread regarding Supernatural. Almost forgot how that feels.

I was horrified at first because I remembered the Dabb comic of doom. Then I was relieved.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2

If there had been a spin off, young Sam and Dean would have been my choice.

Article about the end of SPN in the Austin Chronicle.  Curiously, it says Jared already shot the pilot for Walker?  When??

With the show on hiatus, the future of the Winchester brothers remains a mystery, even if the two Austin-based actors have a clearer view of their futures. Padalecki has already shot the pilot for his next series, Walker (a reboot of Walker: Texas Ranger) while Ackles has his other passion, running the Family Business Beer Company in nearby Dripping Springs.

https://www.austinchronicle.com/screens/2020-04-03/killing-demons-and-blasting-sabbath-15-years-of-supernatural/

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

That can't be right. They were still announcing casting. Lindsay Morgan was filmimg the 100, Jared was filming SPN. Sure, he had time off but you don't film the Pilot with like 10 minutes of the lead. He was supposed to go film right after SPN wrapped. I think someone got bad info there. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I'm pretty certain that's incorrect. Walker hasn't been listed in any of the production updates as a pilot that was fully or even partially shot. Nor have we seen any "lets do this!" stuff you see appearing on SM from the cast and crew when filming gets underway. They were just assuming because it's normally pilot season right now and it's been picked up to series. 

And yeah, there's no way they shoot a pilot without the main character in 80-90% of scenes at least. Especially because he's the big reason it got picked up in the first place and they were only going to shoot a "pilot" anyway to see what worked and what didn't before filming proper got underway in July.

• Useful 1

3 hours ago, Featherhat said:

I'm pretty certain that's incorrect. Walker hasn't been listed in any of the production updates as a pilot that was fully or even partially shot. Nor have we seen any "lets do this!" stuff you see appearing on SM from the cast and crew when filming gets underway. They were just assuming because it's normally pilot season right now and it's been picked up to series. 

And yeah, there's no way they shoot a pilot without the main character in 80-90% of scenes at least. Especially because he's the big reason it got picked up in the first place and they were only going to shoot a "pilot" anyway to see what worked and what didn't before filming proper got underway in July.

If this article was actual interviews with Jensen and Jared, how could that go to print saying he filmed it if he didn't? So presuming he did film it, maybe he did it during his winter hiatus? Or during the season? He's the EP so maybe they did it in Austin? I guess someone will fact check it or something. I thought it was really weird.

• Useful 1

1 hour ago, catrox14 said:

If this article was actual interviews with Jensen and Jared, how could that go to print saying he filmed it if he didn't? So presuming he did film it, maybe he did it during his winter hiatus? Or during the season? He's the EP so maybe they did it in Austin? I guess someone will fact check it or something. I thought it was really weird.

Interviews get embellished all the time. I'm sure cast and crew would have posted something before/during/after filming. It's not like it was a hush/hush project.

Back when the SPN Pilot filmed both Jensen and Jared were freed up for two entire episodes of their respective shows.

Lois and Clark, that new show, was also already picked up and that filming was reported as well as the shutdown of filming. 

Whenever Jared was off filming SPN, you would get all kinds of pics and selfies of him for/at various events. So he had time for all that, filming SPN and filming an entire Pilot somewhere in between? 

• Like 1

This article seems to say it hasn't been filmed yet. 

https://deadline.com/2020/03/pilot-season-2020-networks-backup-scripts-move-streaming-model-coronavirus-1202890652/ 

It was picked up to series in January the cast has come out over February and March, many of whom are active on social media and have posted pictures from set before. No way we wouldn't have heard something on this high profile project. 

Looking at the article again there are no direct quotes about shooting it "yeah it was so weird and awesome to be doing a new series with new cast members." or whatever. 

I could be wrong but I find it unlikely he shot it in between this show and quietly. The only reason they were having a proper pilot was to see what worked and what didn't, they didn't have to rush between his and LM's (and others) other projects to get it ready for May and decision time. 

• Like 1

I'd guess the Austin article was just assuming when it said the Walker pilot had already been filmed.  The Deadline.com article above says specifically:

"Additionally, a number of projects — including Fox’s Call Me Kat, ABC’s The Big Sky, NBC’s LA Mayor and Young Rock and the CW’s Superman & Lois and Walker — have straight-to-series orders and have writers rooms going. Most of them were planning to film a pilot episode during pilot season, take a break to assess it before starting series production. They will now go straight to series production."

That seems pretty clear to me that they didn't film the pilot.  

• Like 2

It's just been announced that JDM and his wife will be hosting a chat show from their home starting April 17 on AMC's TV channel on Fridays...virtually(that is guests will be virtual)--first guests Jensen and Daneel.  It's called Friday night in with the Morgans.  Should be fun--really looking forward to Jensen with JDM.  JDM is always fun.

Edited by Jakes
  • Like 11

33 minutes ago, Jakes said:

It's just been announced that JDM and his wife will be hosting a chat show from their home starting April 17 on AMC...virtually--first guests Jensen and Daneel.  It's called Friday night in with the Morgans.  Should be fun--really looking forward to Jensen with JDM.  JDM is always fun.

I'm assuming that it's on AMC's TV website. Would be great to see - thanks for the head's up.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, FlickChick said:

I'm assuming that it's on AMC's TV website. Would be great to see - thanks for the head's up.

Sorry should have been clearer--will edit.  JDM's show will actually be broadcast on AMC itself--on TV...lack of new product is causing TV to get creative.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jakes said:

It's just been announced that JDM and his wife will be hosting a chat show from their home starting April 17 on AMC's TV channel on Fridays...virtually(that is guests will be virtual)--first guests Jensen and Daneel.  It's called Friday night in with the Morgans.  Should be fun--really looking forward to Jensen with JDM.  JDM is always fun.

It's not showing up on the AMC schedule in the next few weeks (I was trying to find a time). Let us know if you hear more details.  It's giving me something to look forward to!

ETA:  I just Googled and found an article on Deadline that says:

Filmed from their farm in upstate New York, the show will launch on Friday April 17 at 10pm.

I guess I'll just have to tune in (at my local time) to see if it's on, despite not being on the schedule.

Edited by ahrtee
  • Like 2

It was literally just announced yesterday so yes its not on the schedule yet which comes out weeks in advance. Things are happening on the fly.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2020 at 6:56 PM, ahrtee said:

It's not showing up on the AMC schedule in the next few weeks (I was trying to find a time). Let us know if you hear more details.  It's giving me something to look forward to!

ETA:  I just Googled and found an article on Deadline that says:

Filmed from their farm in upstate New York, the show will launch on Friday April 17 at 10pm.

I guess I'll just have to tune in (at my local time) to see if it's on, despite not being on the schedule.

It’s on the Verizon guide now!

• Like 1

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/san-diego-comic-con-canceled-coronavirus-pandemic-1284432?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

The annual entertainment and comic book convention was scheduled to take place from July 23-26.

San Diego Comic-Con has been canceled as the coronavirus pandemic continues to reshape how the world views large public gatherings. The annual entertainment and comic book convention was scheduled to take place from July 23-26 in San Diego, California. It will next occur July 22-25, 2021.

This is the first time in the event's 50-year history that it has been canceled.

• Useful 2
  • Sad 4

The most recent issue of Entertainment weekly has j j and m on the cover. Even inside, there is no foursome. They left Jack out of the shiw's farewell. To me, this is good news. Great pix.

• Like 6

Legends of Tomorrow mentions Supernatural in its latest episode (including which SPN character is the "hall pass" from Waverider Captain Sara), see article here

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Aeryn13 said:

Legends of Tomorrow mentions Supernatural in its latest episode (including which SPN character is the "hall pass" from Waverider Captain Sara), see article here

I don't know this character, but I'm gonna go ahead and say she has good taste. :)

• Like 6

1 minute ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I don't know this character, but I'm gonna go ahead and say she has good taste. 🙂

She is an awesome character. And someone who died and came back couple times. So they could even bond over that.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 3

2 hours ago, Aeryn13 said:

Sweeeet! She does have good taste!

• Like 5

I've long said on the Arrow forum that Sara and Dean would be a good match. Ship name Dera? Sardean? Yes SarDean it is!

• Like 3
  • Laugh 4

18 hours ago, catrox14 said:

I've long said on the Arrow forum that Sara and Dean would be a good match. Ship name Dera? Sardean? Yes SarDean it is!

When I used to watch Arrow back in the day, Sara was my favorite character. And when I tried Legends, again I mostly tuned in for her and the Prison Break bros. Heh. Yes, Dean and Sara would totally pair well.

• Like 4

AX: Can you talk about your guest-starring role earlier this season on the “Last Call” episode of SUPERNATURAL? You played Leo Webb, an old Hunter friend of Dean Winchester, played by Jensen Ackles. Leo owns a bar and performs there with his band, and gets Dean up on stage with him, so you and Jensen Ackles sing together on a duet of Waylon Jennings’s “Good Ol’ Boys,” which was the DUKES OF HAZZARD theme song. Of course, Leo turns out to be a bad guy, so he and Dean have a massive barroom brawl. Were you and Jensen Ackles friends, or did you get cast because SUPERNATURAL likes to have BUFFY and ANGEL actors on their show? Of course, SUPERNATURAL has now been around for …

KANE: A hundred years. I’ll tell you the bottom line story, which is fun. And don’t forget, Mark A. Sheppard was one of the regulars on [SUPERNATURAL], and he was on LEVERAGE, he was our bad guy on our show. Me and Jensen Ackles have been friends for over twenty years. He’s one of my oldest friends in Hollywood. I remember all the way back [in 2003] when I was in Texas, doing SECONDHAND LIONS with Robert Duvall and Michael Caine, and it was Thanksgiving, and Jensen happened to be home, and he drove all the way from Dallas, Texas, to pick me up in Austin, and take me back to have Thanksgiving with his family. Anyway, he’s always been a friend, he’s always gone out of his way.

They asked me to do SUPERNATURAL a couple times, and asked me what I thought about it, and I just didn’t think things were right. A lot of people bring in Eliot Spencer so that their main character can beat him up, to give validation to that character. And Jensen’s character didn’t need validation, but I knew Jensen was going to beat me up if I came. So Jensen called my house. And he said, “Kane, you want to come do SUPERNATURAL? It’s the last season.” I said, “How’s the money?” He’s like, “S***ty.” I went, “Of course it is.” I said, “Do we get to fight?” And he goes, “Yup. We also get to sing together.” And I was like, “I’m in.” I said, “Do you beat me up?” “No. But I do kill you.” [laughs] “Of course you do.”

And I got on a plane and went to Vancouver, and got to sing and “dance” [do fight choreography] with, like I said, one of my oldest friends in Hollywood. That was so much fun. There were no stunt doubles, it was really us, getting to be boys again. And of course the singing, we went into Bryan Adams’s studio in Vancouver, Canada, and both of us laid down the tracks, and then we went and had a beer. It was like the old days, when we used to play music together, and we got to do what we do. I told him – I literally sent him a text – I said, “Is there going to be a fight scene?” He said, “They’re working on it.” I said, “This is ridiculous, man. I said, “You got a demon hunter and Eliot Spencer in the same room. You think somebody would hit something. Otherwise, it would be like watching Thor and Wolverine assemble a floral arrangement.” [laughs] He started laughing. He said, “You’re absolutely right.” The next day, they had jacked the fight scene up quite a bit.

AX: Did you guys pick the Waylon Jennnings DUKES OF HAZZARD song, or did production just say, “Well, this is what we got the rights for you to sing”?

KANE: You know, Jensen sent me a couple of songs that he enjoyed, but I think overall – I’m not a hundred percent on this – Jensen did call back with the song choice, so I’m pretty sure Jensen had that up his sleeve, and I think he made that happen, which I thought was outstanding – these people thought enough about me coming in, and thought enough about the episode with me and Jensen both in it, to go out and buy a song that prestigious. And I was like, “Come on, man, ‘Good Ol’ Boys,’ me and you, back on the screen, come on.”

AX: And they also used your song “House Rules” on the episode soundtrack …

KANE: Yeah. And that was another little gift they gave me. I’m telling you, man, it was one of the funnest jobs. I hadn’t seen Jensen in a few years, since he was up there [shooting SUPERNATURAL in Vancouver] and I’d been in Portland. It might seem closer than that, but it’s really not that close. And I was doing LEVERAGE and LIBRARIANS, and we’d talk, but we didn’t get to see each other. And so we caught up right where we left off. It was a blast working with him.

link

• Like 17

That was such a great episode! One of the few this season, IMO. Yes, thanks @starfishka , I really enjoyed the article. I'm so glad that Jensen and Christian had an opportunity to have some fun together.

• Like 2

A little late to the party because I just found the article, but I really did love seeing Kane and Jensen together.    Since Kane is involved in two shows, "Almost Paradise" and the reboot of "Leverage", maybe Jensen can guest star on one of them.  They do work well together.

I'm still hoping that Jensen, Steve Carlson and Kane would sing together again.  Carlson and Kane did some albums together.  Who knows.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Casseiopeia said:

Wow, that was a much longer segment than I was expecting. Very interesting, thoughtful and introspective answers on some heavy topics.

On 5/5/2020 at 5:25 PM, FlickChick said:

That was such a great episode! One of the few this season, IMO. Yes, thanks @starfishka , I really enjoyed the article. I'm so glad that Jensen and Christian had an opportunity to have some fun together.

That was a wonderful interview with CK, and a lovely insight into his long-time friendship with Jensen. I love hearing what a really down to earth guy and good friend Jensen is in real life. And yes, that episode was probably the only one that stands out as something I really liked out of this mostly terrible last season.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, PAForrest said:

Wow, that was a much longer segment than I was expecting. Very interesting, thoughtful and introspective answers on some heavy topics.

I had to laugh when Jensen talked about a Supernatural reboot in 5 years and Danneel wondered who would play Dean.  His response "Me!".  I mean really who else is going to play Dean Winchester.

• Like 7

That was a really interesting interview with Jewel.  Jensen's face got very intense when Danneel mentioned that he personally spoke to someone on the set of One Tree Hill who was behaving inappropriately towards her and other female cast members.  I wonder who that was?

I cringed a little with the live Q&A, especially with the girl with gigantic Jared posters on her wall, but their questions were treated respectfully and thoughtfully.

• Useful 2

2 minutes ago, Frost said:

That was a really interesting interview with Jewel.  Jensen's face got very intense when Danneel mentioned that he personally spoke to someone on the set of One Tree Hill who was behaving inappropriately towards her and other female cast members.  I wonder who that was?

I cringed a little with the live Q&A, especially with the girl with gigantic Jared posters on her wall, but their questions were treated respectfully and thoughtfully.

Two or three years back a lot of stuff came out about former showrunner Swan? Schwartz? behaving horribly inappropriately to the actresses on the show. Stalking, sexual harassment and all that. I think Danneel herself once said she only came back for a storyline because her onscreen partner was Paul Johannson and she felt the showrunner wouldn't try anything in his presence.

• Useful 2

1 hour ago, Frost said:

The questions were good and topical. The chat that ran along side it was, however, a trash fire of Destiel/Wincest/Tinhat freaks who were an embarrassment to themselves. Thankfully, it could be hidden by the user, but I cringe to think that Jewel (or whoever was moderating for her) had to read all of it.

I actually opened this thread to comment on Jensen's face when they were talking about OTH. I remember another woman (Carina Mackenzie?) saying that Jensen stood up for her with one of the #metoo creeps. I also held my breath a little when he was asked about how he handled his friends/co-workers mental health issues/depression on set. It was such a pointed question, but I thought he handled it really well.

All that said, I hope whatever project it is that Jensen said he and Danneel were working on, it's not something like this. I'd really like to see them having fun with something, whether it be the kids, music, friends, the brewery, anything. JMO of course.

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Like 3
  • Useful 2

1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

The chat that ran along side it was, however, a trash fire of Destiel/Wincest/Tinhat freaks who were an embarrassment to themselves.

OMG!  I'm so glad I didn't know about the Chat!  I didn't have to waste my brain power on wondering "what on earth is wrong with these people?" and "don't they have anything better to do?"

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Casseiopeia said:

I had to laugh when Jensen talked about a Supernatural reboot in 5 years and Danneel wondered who would play Dean.  His response "Me!".  I mean really who else is going to play Dean Winchester.

HA!

But of course!!

No one else could even come close and he knows that, too. 

I so love how he feels about Dean. 🥰

• Like 8

On 5/8/2020 at 12:31 AM, Casseiopeia said:

So I just watched this for the first time this morning and I was blown away by the questions that Jewel asked.

And I think that The Ackles handled them wonderfully.

Great interview. 

I knew that there was a reason for it, when years ago, my then preteen daughter came to me with some music and said "Listen to this girl sing, mom".

And we've loved Jewel ever since.

Edited by Myrelle · Reason: Spelling
  • Like 2

On 5/8/2020 at 9:19 AM, Casseiopeia said:

Well, if it's on the CW, they'll have Jensen playing Dean, father to teenage hunter Deanna (or Samantha).

• Like 1
  • Laugh 3
  • Sad 3

So elsewhere we posted that SPN's final episodes will air on Thursdays at 8 in the Fall.  The rest of CW regulars shows start in January--leaving SPN with a great spotlight by itself in the Fall.

Pedowitz who loves SPN had this quote in the Wrap:

"I think everybody, the studio, the executive producers, Jared, Jensen and Misha all want to end 15 years the right way.  So it is important that these 2 episodes be done the way they want to do them.  We'll just wait it out.  We are very much attached to this.

So very cool--as suspected no way they won't get the final 2 episodes done...Pedowitz is a huge supporter, Walker is delayed to January with all the rest of the CW,  leaving SPN with a nice final push put nicely on a pedestal.  And it lives about a half a year longer than we originally thought, to boot!

PS--CW Twitter has a poster of the FINAL SEVEN EPISODES...you guys will love it--it has the 4 guys on it with Dean and Sam much larger and centered.  And has Dean slightly in front of Sam--well deserving that Dean gets the biggest emphasis on the poster for the finale!

Edited by Jakes
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, Jakes said:

PS--CW Twitter has a poster of the FINAL SEVEN EPISODES...you guys will love it--it has the 4 guys on it with Dean and Sam much larger and centered.  And has Dean slightly in front of Sam--well deserving that Dean gets the biggest emphasis on the poster for the finale!

Best promo pic in ages. Both Dean and Sam are prominent, as it should be. And it's a great image of both of them.

SPNfinalseven.jpg

• Like 6

That poster truly is the best in years.

I"m kinda conflicted right now. On the one hand the current hiatus has been super-pleasant, on the other hand the horror could have finally been over next week. Now they'll probably ruin my Christmas. Heh.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 3

55 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Best promo pic in ages. Both Dean and Sam are prominent, as it should be. And it's a great image of both of them.

SPNfinalseven.jpg

Yeah, I like this poster - even though it's highly unlikely the brothers will be as prominent in the final episodes as this poster makes it look like. We do still have to contend with Dabb's pet, Jackie Poo Sue. Still, it's only fitting and fair that the final poster focus on the two guys without whom no one's pet project has a platform.

And confirmation of what we already predicted, with the final seven episodes airing in the fall. Everything else pushed back to spring is going to be the norm for most networks this year. Of course, they still have to film those episodes, and right now Canada is extending its border closure with the US, for obvious and good reasons. But even if they have to wait until September or so to film the last two episodes, that still gives them plenty of time to get them ready for air.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

29 minutes ago, PAForrest said:

Of course, they still have to film those episodes, and right now Canada is extending its border closure with the US, for obvious and good reasons.

I think they are going to end up making exceptions, pending negative testing, 14 day self-isolating, etc. That is not based on anything except my gut feeling. Production is such a big part of the BC economy, they are going to do whatever it takes to get rolling again.

• Like 5

I was a bit confused. How do they get to 7 episodes when it unlikely filming will begin inJuly or August?

9 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I was a bit confused. How do they get to 7 episodes when it unlikely filming will begin inJuly or August?

"Fall" is a pretty wide net. They dont usually start til first week of October, and they already have five episodes in the can. I'm guessing whatever post production still needs to be done on those will happen before they are able to film (since no borders need to be crossed for that). So that gives them til at least November to get the last two episodes filmed and produced. Seems doable, provided there is no huge second wave to deal with. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

ohjoy

Please keep your speculation and comments on the end of Supernatural in the Supernatural Ending topic. Use this topic here for discussion of the Supernatual media items themselves only. As always, keep Bitch vs. Jerk discussion in its own topic.

Thank you.