Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Pete Martell

Supernatural Media: I Observe, With My Eyes

On 2/27/2020 at 2:22 PM, Bobcatkitten said:

Jared court date moved to March 9. 

Moved again I guess?

• Useful 1

It's April 14th now. They are moving it one month at a time waiting for prosecutors to file formal charges. Until then no need for an initial hearing because no pending charges. 

• Useful 1

10 minutes ago, Bobcatkitten said:

It's April 14th now. They are moving it one month at a time waiting for prosecutors to file formal charges. Until then no need for an initial hearing because no pending charges. 

I guess if they keep it up for another year and a half the statute of limitations will expire before they file charges.

• Useful 1

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I guess if they keep it up for another year and a half the statute of limitations will expire before they file charges.

Is it just me or does this seem like special treatment due to his status? Why would no charges be filed by now through several court dates? Seems strange...

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

1 hour ago, FlickChick said:

Is it just me or does this seem like special treatment due to his status? Why would no charges be filed by now through several court dates? Seems strange...

If it was special treatment, they would file, settle and move on.  Having it hang over your head is torture.   I think it’s most likely there’s an allegation made and so they have to investigate.  Data and memories fade, however, so the longer it goes, the less likely they have new discovery.  They may have ‘something’ they are trying to corroborate.  

Right now there are no charges to plea bargain with.  

in sum, I don’t think Jared’s legal team is driving this train.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Casseiopeia said:

Thanks for that. What a neat article, to see it through the eyes of a town that literally has grown up with it. I'm supposed to go to Vancouver in May. I wonder if anything will be left or if it is included on any set tours or anything.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, S Cook Productions said:

Thanks for that. What a neat article, to see it through the eyes of a town that literally has grown up with it. I'm supposed to go to Vancouver in May. I wonder if anything will be left or if it is included on any set tours or anything.

I went to Vancouver a couple of years ago.  We went on a bus tour and came back to the hotel at night. One of the streets was closed off and the driver said it was probably for filming, and i was straining so hard to see if I could see any SPN people. I figured night time filming had extra good chance of being for SPN. I couldn't see anything, though.

• Useful 1

And it seems SPN has suspended production according to Hollywood Report

• Useful 1
  • Surprise 4

1 hour ago, catrox14 said:

And it seems SPN has suspended production according to Hollywood Report

I honestly can't decide which emotie this needs.

Somehow it just seems... like something Dabb would write. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

Depending on how long the shutdown is, it's gonna be a problem with contracts. Sure, they are under contract for Season 15 but not with a "to be finished whenever" clause. Crew doesn't remain indefinitely, sets won't be maintained indefinitely etc.

I totally understand that health concerns are way more important than other things and, as such, completely support the shutdowns of this show and all the others but it's a really weird limbo state right now.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

34 minutes ago, Aeryn13 said:

Depending on how long the shutdown is, it's gonna be a problem with contracts. Sure, they are under contract for Season 15 but not with a "to be finished whenever" clause. Crew doesn't remain indefinitely, sets won't be maintained indefinitely etc.

I totally understand that health concerns are way more important than other things and, as such, completely support the shutdowns of this show and all the others but it's a really weird limbo state right now.

If this is a two week thing then they will probably finish. If this is a two month thing then the finale is in trouble. A lot of the cast and crew have new jobs and I don’t see those projects postponing to let Supernatural finish. I don’t know how the contracts work but they might have to redo them if they have to start filming six weeks after their contracted end date. Worse case scenario if they can’t finish is a virtual guarantee of a movie finale somewhere down the road. 

• Like 3

The show Legacies just announced that episode 16 will serve as their Season Finale (Season was supposed to have 20 episodes and they were mid-shoot at 17). That doesn't look like anyone expects any soon-ish pick-up of shooting again.

Other shows will probably see if they can make due with a completed episode as a Season Finale and work the actual conclusion into next Season. For a Series Finale that is obviously not really feasible.

• Useful 3

2 hours ago, Aeryn13 said:

The show Legacies just announced that episode 16 will serve as their Season Finale (Season was supposed to have 20 episodes and they were mid-shoot at 17). That doesn't look like anyone expects any soon-ish pick-up of shooting again.

Other shows will probably see if they can make due with a completed episode as a Season Finale and work the actual conclusion into next Season. For a Series Finale that is obviously not really feasible.

Superstore, NCIS have also cut their seasons short - and the former had one more episode that was supposed to serve as a send-off for the lead actress. But this is a real concern now - it's looking more likely that an increasing number of sets, if not all sets, won't go back to work until summer at the earliest, and that's going to be a major problem for SPN.

I'm sure there's no way ep #18 can serve as even a shitty finale. Not that I expect any kind of greatness from Dabb's finale plans, but even a piss poor finale has some semblance of closure. A non-finale does not - which can be fixed in the fall with a show coming back for another season. For a series ending, this is not good news. And trying to keep everyone on board for a 2-hour movie wrap-up is tricky and not a guarantee, especially as contracts are expiring.

• Like 3
  • Useful 3

11 minutes ago, PAForrest said:

Superstore, NCIS have also cut their seasons short - and the former had one more episode that was supposed to serve as a send-off for the lead actress. But this is a real concern now - it's looking more likely that an increasing number of sets, if not all sets, won't go back to work until summer at the earliest, and that's going to be a major problem for SPN.

I'm sure there's no way ep #18 can serve as even a shitty finale. Not that I expect any kind of greatness from Dabb's finale plans, but even a piss poor finale has some semblance of closure. A non-finale does not - which can be fixed in the fall with a show coming back for another season. For a series ending, this is not good news. And trying to keep everyone on board for a 2-hour movie wrap-up is tricky and not a guarantee, especially as contracts are expiring.

The way things keep escalating it is looking more likely that 18 is it. I am positive there will be a finale even if it is years down the road. J2 even said at the last convention that they both are open to coming back in the future. So once this mess is finally over and things get back to normal, they have all the time in the world to decide how and when to end the story.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

I think the writers, producers and editors can still work (they can work in isolation, not in a large group) so maybe they can rework the unaired eps to form some kind of resolution so at least it's not dangling.  (Of course, that would mean that it would be up to Dabb to make that resolution.)

My hope would be that later (hopefully after Dabb and his group have moved on) they can write and film a final conclusion that maybe more people will like.  

Well, I can dream, can't I?

• Like 5
  • Useful 2

1 hour ago, ahrtee said:

My hope would be that later (hopefully after Dabb and his group have moved on) they can write and film a final conclusion that maybe more people will like.  

I feel terrible for the cast and crew who have invested so many years, and so much love, in the show and in each other. They deserve a better ending as much as the fans do, Dabb & Co not-withstanding.

Isn't it somehow cosmic that Dabb's shitshow would end in a... shitshow?

• Like 15
  • Laugh 4

Since Jensen wasn't really on board with the finale and was more or less talked into it maybe it's a good thing ( for Dean fans ) that we won't get a final episode. 

• Like 8
  • Useful 3

We might not even get the full 18 episodes filmed.  It takes several weeks afterward to edit, add music, special effects. etc, and  there are reshoots, and ADR that are usually necessary.

I'm not sure how much of that can be done on an individual basis.

I guess I'm in the minority, because of how much I despise this season.  I feel like my show ended in s11 when Dean saved the world with his big heart.   I have my closure. 

Although I do feel bad for the cast and crew that worked so hard to keep the show on the air for so long that won't get it.

Edited by ILoveReading
  • Like 11

https://www.nerdsandbeyond.com/2020/03/23/supernatural-on-hiatus-after-tonights-episode/

So we are not getting even the completed episodes (beyond tonight's) for now. But they are still promising an ending.

The last season of Supernatural is winding down, and tonight, Season 15, Episode 13 is airing. Andrew Dabb tweeted today that due to the production shut down, this will be their last episode for awhile, seemingly going on hiatus for a bit.

The production was temporarily shut down after finishing filming episode 18 out of 20 due to COVID-19 and making sure to keep the cast, crew, and their families safe during this time. Dabb also tweeted that the visual effects and sound departments have closed because of the outbreak, so the episodes can’t be finished, and there will be some special treats coming to help get through this.

Dabb also reassured everyone that they will return to finish the series, saying that it’s not a matter of “if” the series ends, but “when”.

Stay tuned for more information.

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Like 1
  • Useful 3

Heh, they could have kept to hiatus and not aired just two eps. But hindsight, I guess.

As for Dabb's promises - or threats, depending on perspective, that will be a matter of contracts eventually. 

• Like 5

Unreleased footage from Paleyfest 2018. This video will only be up for 24 hours, according to the Nerds & Beyond site.

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Aeryn13 said:

Heh, they could have kept to hiatus and not aired just two eps. But hindsight, I guess.

As for Dabb's promises - or threats, depending on perspective, that will be a matter of contracts eventually. 

Yeah, hindsight and all that. At this point it's possible that instead of a 2-hour wrap up movie, the remaining 7 episodes + a retrospective might be packaged as a season 15-B to air in the fall. A lot of cable series do it that way - air part of a season for a couple months, then air the second part of that same season 6 months later.

They're saying with pilot season pretty much shot to hell, a lot of bubble shows (not referring to SPN now) might be saved for a second season, likely 8-13 episodes, where they could have been outright canceled before this. This disaster may be a blessing for those shows.

So the CW airing a 15-B in the fall would be in line with that kind of programming. Every network's fall programming is going to look a bit different than the networks originally envisioned, obviously.

Of course, everyone needs to get back to work to make any of this happen. Anyway, it's a possibility for salvaging the final season - and giving the CW "new" SPN extended into the fall.

Edited by PAForrest
  • Useful 4

20 minutes ago, PAForrest said:

Yeah, hindsight and all that. At this point it's possible that instead of a 2-hour wrap up movie, the remaining 7 episodes + a retrospective might be packaged as a season 15-B to air in the fall. A lot of cable series do it that way - air part of a season for a couple months, then air the second part of that same season 6 months later.

Maybe next spring.  This ain't going to be over by fall.

• Sad 4

3 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Maybe next spring.  This ain't going to be over by fall.

Yeah, spring is an option too.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

What a neat article, to see it through the eyes of a town that literally has grown up with it.

Heh.  Vancouver was a grown-up town waaaaaay before Supernatural showed up, and it'll long continue to be a grown-up town waaaaaay after Supernatural (and Riverdale, and whatever the fuck else) leaves.

On 3/23/2020 at 10:51 PM, Demian said:

Heh.  Vancouver was a grown-up town waaaaaay before Supernatural showed up, and it'll long continue to be a grown-up town waaaaaay after Supernatural (and Riverdale, and whatever the fuck else) leaves.

Obviously Vancouver has had television productions before SPN ( shout out to The X-Files! ). IMO the fact that the article was from the perspective of local actors that had appeared on the show during the early seasons and literally grew up seeing the affect that SPN had on their hometown there's nothing wrong with them calling it a "grown up town". 

• Like 2

On 3/23/2020 at 9:51 PM, Demian said:

Don't think it was meant as an insult.  15 years is a long time and I know even the big city I'm living in now has change dramatically in 30 years.  So it is all from the perspective of your viewpoint.

• Like 4

DEADLINE article about scheduling changes across the tv board.

Specific to Supernatural:

Supernatural, which shoots in Vancouver, had filmed through Episode 18 when production was suspended but the show for many years has been using a Vancouver postproduction/VFX company that has shut down during the pandemic. “Our visual effects and sound departments have closed because of the outbreak. So, right now, the episodes can’t be finished,” Dabb said, assuring fans that the remaining episodes will be produced. “It’s not a matter of ‘if’, it’s a matter of ‘when’,” he wrote.

The early exit this season allows the CW to have a meaningful final chapter of Supernatural consisting of 7 episodes, which is normal-size cable/streaming season. That is easier to schedule, market and consume than 2 leftover episodes.

Very much what some of us have been speculating on. As to when the 7 episodes air, that's dependent upon when studios and sets get back up and running.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PAForrest said:

DEADLINE article about scheduling changes across the tv board.

Specific to Supernatural:

Very much what some of us have been speculating on. As to when the 7 episodes air, that's dependent upon when studios and sets get back up and running.

And hey... PRECISELY what Misha was saying.

I'd also add the following paragraph from the article:

The CW has become the first network to make primetime scheduling changes in response to the seasons of most of its series getting cut short by the coronavirus-imposed mass production shutdowns.

So... it seems highly unlikely Misha was just posting speculation.

Edited by SueB
  • Like 2

But they are talking about the 18 episodes already filmed and only needing post-production. Once again, I believe that they are earnest about their intentions to film the final two episodes as they would have been without this interruption, but I don't believe anyone can offer a guarantee of that happening, unless they have already negotiated and signed deals with all involved. We'll see.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

ETA: I do believe WB will do everything possible to make it happen if for no other reason than future syndication and DVD sales. A series without an ending is going to be a hard sell. But if they can't  produce those final two, I imagine we will get some kind of cobbled together ending from what they already filmed.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

4 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

But they are talking about the 18 episodes already filmed and only needing post-production. Once again, I believe that they are earnest about their intentions to film the final two episodes as they would have been without this interruption, but I don't believe anyone can offer a guarantee of that happening, unless they have already negotiated and signed deals with all involved. We'll see.

I suspect they added a contract addendum already for the main cast.  Why wouldn't they step out quickly on this?  Seems more likely they would secure the cast first (including Misha, hence he made a comment he feels he can back) and THAT's why they can announce a plan.  Traditionally that's how they've sequenced thing: rough agreement b/w CW & WB, secure cast, announcement by CW.  It may have caveats in the clauses like:
- assumes production in Vancouver can start by 1 Sept (just a ballpark guess) 

Edited by SueB
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, SueB said:

I suspect they added a contract addendum already for the main cast.  Why wouldn't they step out quickly on this?  Seems more likely they would secure the cast first (including Misha, hence he made a comment he feels he can back) and THAT's why they can announce a plan.  Traditionally that's how they've sequenced thing: rough agreement b/w CW & WB, secure cast, announcement by CW.  It may have caveats in the clauses like:
- assumes production in Vancouver can start by 1 Sept (just a ballpark guess) 

Because things evolved so quickly. I would guess that most of the crew already secured work for post-SPN, and signed contracts, etc. We know Jared has Walker. I have to believe Jensen has something. All things that happened before the unprecedented happenings that are occurring now. I have no idea about Misha, but nothing has been made public AFAIK.  Honestly, even if Jared or Jensen came out right now and said it was their intention to finish filming, I wouldn't stake my life on it happening. I don't think anyone is in a position to speak unequivocally right now.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

A few  shows have promised wrap ups or even just extra movies for fans that have never come together even when they've been written and many actors were on board because it's insanely difficult to schedule everything when it is no longer the actors (and others) first or only priority.

Especially with Walker already going to be demanding the lion's share of Jared's attention and possibly scrambling to get the series together for an October 2020 (or mid season 2021) release date after all this. 

I sincerely believe everyone involved wants this show to have a proper ending rather than just ep 18 and will work extremely to try and make that happen, but even with the best will in the world it might not happen, especially with so much on going uncertainty over everything. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

A few articles out say CW has pushed the final 7 episodes to the fall for one last burst and a true finale. Sounds good. Better than spreading them out. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bobcatkitten said:

A few articles out say CW has pushed the final 7 episodes to the fall for one last burst and a true finale. Sounds good. Better than spreading them out. 

Much as I hate Dabb, and I do, the guys deserve this.

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

O/T but pertinent to the discussion. If you think SPN not getting its finale can't happen, I wouldn't mention it to fans of Empire. Empire Final Season to End Early, Proper Series Finale Scrapped.

Disclaimer: I don't watch the show so I don't know if there are any spoilers in that article from TV Line.

Yeah, it doesn't say exactly why this is happening - other than the world has gone to shit. But the usual reasons this might happen would be the inability to extend contracts for actors/showrunners/writers, and sets needing to be broken down by a certain time for another series that is taking over that space.

However, right now every shooting project is massively delayed, so it's not like there are other jobs to go to anytime soon.

But maybe despite that the feeling in the industry is that new projects aren't going to wait around once the greenlight is given, and that they will take precedence after all. Therefore the actors/showrunners/writers, etc., want to/have to be available to those other projects even if there is some delay after things open back up.

We'll have to see if Empire's action becomes a domino effect across the board. If it does, then the likelihood of SPN being able to shoot the final two episodes is no longer guaranteed.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

2 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

O/T but pertinent to the discussion. If you think SPN not getting its finale can't happen, I wouldn't mention it to fans of Empire. Empire Final Season to End Early, Proper Series Finale Scrapped.

Disclaimer: I don't watch the show so I don't know if there are any spoilers in that article from TV Line.

I think Pedowitz and the CW is showing SPN much more respect and patience.  Anything can happen but I think it's 95% we get the ending--probably higher.  SPN got a commitment and they can wait(the CW seems intent on rewarding 15 years and already signaled they will wait)...the actors can't do other work until this virus thing settles anyway, I bet anything the main guys will be more than willing and they just need about 16 days of filming.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PAForrest said:

Yeah, it doesn't say exactly why this is happening - other than the world has gone to shit. But the usual reasons this might happen would be the inability to extend contracts for actors/showrunners/writers, and sets needing to be broken down by a certain time for another series that is taking over that space.

However, right now every shooting project is massively delayed, so it's not like there are other jobs to go to anytime soon.

But maybe despite that the feeling in the industry is that new projects aren't going to wait around once the greenlight is given, and that they will take precedence after all. Therefore the actors/showrunners/writers, etc., want to/have to be available to those other projects even if there is some delay after things open back up.

We'll have to see if Empire's action becomes a domino effect across the board. If it does, then the likelihood of SPN being able to shoot the final two episodes is no longer guaranteed.

I wouldn’t worry about that. Worse case scenario is they will do a movie down the line. I think the finale airing this year is a little optimistic unless they plan to film it in someone’s garage. There is a double whammy for shows filming in Canada. Both countries have to be open and the boarder closing lifted. When it starts to look like this mess is over, the WB and CW are going to have to do a massive damage assessment and decide where to distribute resources.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

With the way things are going right now, traditional fall Season is probably shot for this year for all networks. So it`s possible little to nothing of new content will air this year. Other than shows/Seasons that are already completed. I mean, say they could resume shooting in September and would have the first things ready for December, why bother? Everything may be relegated to next year anyway. And by then, yes, it is a question of resources. Studios and networks will have monumental losses.  

• Useful 2

Honestly I can't see any television or movie production moving forward until there is an effective vaccine.  I can't imagine anyone cast or crew taking the chance that they might get sick or take a deadly illness back home to their families.  So we are talking next spring at the earliest...at least in my opinion.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

Honestly I can't see any television or movie production moving forward until there is an effective vaccine.  I can't imagine anyone cast or crew taking the chance that they might get sick or take a deadly illness back home to their families.  So we are talking next spring at the earliest...at least in my opinion.

Experts aren't envisioning a vaccine within the mext 18 months, though, best case scenario. I can't see the entertainment industry (or any industry) holding our forvthat long. Economies would collapse. Though admittedly small-scale TV productions are likely a low priority on those totem poles.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

The big thing will be insurance. If they won’t cover, no one is going to risk shooting.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

41 minutes ago, Aeryn13 said:

Experts aren't envisioning a vaccine within the mext 18 months, though, best case scenario. I can't see the entertainment industry (or any industry) holding our forvthat long. Economies would collapse. Though admittedly small-scale TV productions are likely a low priority on those totem poles.

That may be true but I can't see studio's or networks forcing people back to work if there isn't a way to keep everyone safe.  Social distancing is going to be impossible on set.

• Like 1

ohjoy

Please keep your speculation and comments on the end of Supernatural in the Supernatural Ending topic. Use this topic here for discussion of the Supernatual media items themselves only. As always, keep Bitch vs. Jerk discussion in its own topic.

Thank you.