Type keyword(s) to search

North Woods Law - General Discussion

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

Well that sucks.

I love that show.   It's one of the few that show cops in a good light.   They don't write people up too often, unless someone is really being a jerk.   They were nice guys caring for the people and animals of Maine.  

As for the operations mentioned in that article -- I'm not surprised poachers have nothing good to say about the wardens.

• Love 1

Fuck, fuck, fuck, more information on the fate of Geraldine Largay.   Apparently she survived for about 2 months lost in the woods.   She kept a journal.   She left a message to have her family contacted when her body was found.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2016/05/25/geraldine-largay-haunting-messages/YFbToegW6bLZgBdIEe065L/story.html

Dammit, if you are lost HUG. A. TREE.   Don't keep moving around.   You only get loster.

• Love 1

I came across a show on Animal Planet called Lone Star Law that is the game wardens in east Texas. I think the first episode was 6/2 and it airs on Thursdays. I don't think I ever saw it advertised before coming across it while channel surfing.

Sucks that it's cancelled.  I really like this show, it's a show that I'll watch every time its on no matter how many times I've seen the episode before. 

I usually turn my head during the hunting/dead animal segments but damned if I wasn't on the edge of my seat hoping that Joe would get his moose.    I'm so happy he did it and he made the shot himself. Pretty amazing for a Veteran who completely lost one eye and is almost fully blind in the other.  

I'll miss this show. Hopefully they'll still show marathons every once in a while. 

• Love 1

My husband and I really have enjoyed this show, and we were sorry it was cancelled.  He rides his ATV in Maine a lot, and he and his buddies have run into a few of the game wardens- never issued any summonses, just had their registrations checked.  He said the wardens are really cool and very friendly.

Last week, hubby and his crew went way up north to Caribou, ME.  They didn't see any wardens, but at one of the coffee shops, they guys asked if the wardens ever came in.  The place went silent, and the owner said "best not to talk about those fellas around here."  Apparently there was a bit of a scandal last year when the production company had a casting call for townies.  They paid several locals to play "poachers" and set up several scenes of people being "busted" for poaching, drinking while driving, driving with loaded guns in vehicles, non registered boats/ATVs, etc.  The wardens went along with it for the sake of drama and lost credibility with the community.   That really made me really sad. 

• Love 2

I will miss this show.  At least I've found the clip of the warden and some other guys chasing baby ducklings around the drained waste water treatment plant if I ever need a chuckle.  I presume I can find the woman imitating the guinea fowl that had terrorized the pit bull too--that was another funny bit!

I like the others along this line, but there was something about this one that humanized the wardens for me more than the other shows do.  For example, seeing the one young guy do a ride-along (maybe when he was a teen?) and then getting into warden school and then becoming a warden.  

Wow, the crash scene.  Scary!  Glad he was okay.  I laughed that the VT warden he met was also driving a replacement vehicle and they decided they were "crash brothers" (or whatever they said).

I saw that crash, and was amazed that the camera man, and the warden were both OK.

I'm watching the rerun of "The Hunt Begins", where the woman's dogs were running loose, cornered a hunter, and he had to shoot into the air to run them off.   The warden finds the owner, and she seems totally unconcerned about her dogs running loose, or threatening someone, and the warden says, that the owner understood the importance of keeping the dogs in.  IMO no she didn't, and invisible fence won't stop those dogs from running through the field, and keep going.   I bet they were chasing deer, and hunters very soon after this was filmed, because she just didn't get it.    

• Love 1

Last nights new episode was bizarre.    The man who found a big snake in his bed was terrifying, and the warden being grossed out by snakes was funny.

The turkey hunter who was trespassing was so irritating.    His lame excuses for why he was hunting on posted land were pathetic, and I'm guessing he's done this before and just didn't get caught.  

I know people are idiots about wild animals, but a woman on the NWL: NH new episode was feeding multiple bears.     She lives there with the boyfriend, and his mother, since the mother owns the house, she would also get fined for feeding bears on her property.       The girlfriend feeds a bunch of bears, plays with them, and just said she was playing tug of war with one and it knocked her down!       The woman is totally insane.   When the game warden told her what would happen when the bear broke into a neighboring house looking for food, and because it's not afraid of people, she still didn't seem to think she was doing anything wrong.     What an idiot!      

On the followup, she says the bear still comes back looking for food, and she still thinks the bears 'need' her.       What do you want to bet that she'll go back to it, and put out a bunch of bird feeders out this fall?     Some people never learn, and she's going to get some bears killed acting like this.    

Next spring when the bear comes out of hibernation, and is really hungry I bet she'll remember where there's easy food, and drop in.   

What does this woman think will happen when the bear gets hungry?   It will either wait for her to step outside, or one of the other people that live there, or break in to get food, and then the bear will die.   The woman who owns the house should have told her to get out, and not come back.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4

I saw the bear feeding episode last night, with the added information, and they claim she's not feeding bears now, but those cat food bowls certainly were full, and I didn't see any cats running around.      I think the woman thinks she's the only one who can feed the bears, and they're her friends.     I'm still stunned about her saying she plays tug of war with the bear.

I'm betting that bear feeding idiot found a way to feed the bears anyway, with a feeder back in the woods or something, and then she doesn't have bird seed, and dog food near the house.     The ranger is naive if he thinks that woman will ever quit, because she thinks the bears are her friends.   

I read about a park ranger, and he said that the saddest cases they had were the bears that were fed by people, weren't afraid of them, and stopped hunting.   In one case the bear was relocated to the other end of the park, and came back a couple of hundred miles to the same feeding place, and eventually was destroyed.    It was because of idiots like this woman.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

Another idiot feeding bears?      I couldn't believe that man stopped after the court date, especially since it was his second time getting caught doing this.     What kind of idiot teaches a bear to come on their deck, stand on the rail and demand food, and thinks this isn't going to get the bear killed?      

I wonder what happens when any of the bear feeders sell, and then in the spring here comes the hungry bear thinking the cafeteria is still open?   

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

...but has been released from the hospital and is going to be fine now.

Glad to hear he's doing OK.  He looks pretty rough in that picture.  It's a dangerous job - not only are you dealing with wild animals, you need to deal with stupid people as well.

• Love 4
(edited)

Don't tell the others... but Matt Holmes is and always will be my favorite CO.

FF through the new episodes and if Officer Holmes is in the episode then it gets watched then and there...if not then it goes in the Later pile.

Hope the rider who hit him got the infraction book thrown at him...shame on him.

Watched Last Days of Winter episode with Officer Holmes running snow machine patrol...

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 4

Good episode for the season opener, with the finger find that turned out to be a fake one.   The woman who called the authorities after finding it, and leaving it undisturbed  did the right thing.      I love the snapping turtle babies hatching on the playground.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

That was sad news about Ruby.   From their FB page she died in November 2019.    I noticed Lt Boudreaux no longer drives a K-9 vehicle.   

I didn't realize this episode was the season finale.    

Lt. Scott LaCrosse who was on the show a couple of years ago, but retired, died in 2 April 2019, suddenly at age 54. 

Here's a Facebook post about it from the North Woods Law page:

We are deeply saddened to hear of the unexpected passing of retired Lieutenant Scott LaCrosse. Lieutenant LaCrosse, age 54, died suddenly from natural causes on the morning of April 2nd at his home.

After more than 29 years as a Conservation Officer, Lieutenant LaCrosse retired from full-time service in 2018. Our sincere condolences to his family, everyone at

NH Fish and Game

, and all whom he worked with throughout his career.

RIP Lt. LaCrosse. Thank you for your years of service, your leadership and the shining example you were to so many.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Spazamanaz said:

I miss North Woods Maine. New Hampshire is ok, but I liked the Maine one better. And the guys were cuter. LOL.

I like any version of the Game Warden programs - North Woods, Lone Star Law.  But apparently, the governor of Maine  didn't agree.

I actually like the Game Wardens in New Hampshire a little better than I did those in Maine.  But I commend ALL of them for doing what they do. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

North Woods Law: Wildside

Game Wardens of Maine.

Think this is a brand new episode and not just a remix.

Started 6/9 and I just happened upon it scrolling through.....

Update: This is a clip show.

I recognize the segments with non communicative elderly guy, Bruce found in the brook and the deaf guy sitting in a truck who may/not be night hunting....

Sorry false alarm....

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

North Woods Law: Wildside

Game Wardens of Maine.

Think this is a brand new episode and not just a remix.

Started 6/9 and I just happened upon it scrolling through.....

Update: This is a clip show.

I recognize the segments with non communicative elderly guy, Bruce found in the brook and the deaf guy sitting in a truck who may/not be night hunting....

Sorry false alarm....

No prob. I wish they would do a special on the wardens of Maine. You become invested with the people on the show, and get to know them and it would be neat to see them again. I hear McCabe and wife had a baby boy. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

9/26 Tonite’s episode shows CO Matt Holmes’s ATV getting slammed into by a speeding ATV on 6/22/20.

As luck would have it, the first 3 people to come on the scene are 3 EMTs from a nearby town.

Spoiler alert: Matt and his wife Meredith have 2 cute kids.

His daughter with the red curly hair looks like her Daddy.

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 4

Wow, that was some accident.  And even lying on the ground, Matt was telling his partner, "Make sure to collect IDs from everyone involved."  

I follow NWL on Facebook, so I knew he was going to be okay . . . but it was still a bit harrowing to see the whole thing.  What on EARTH possessed the son to just drive off and then not call to make arrangements to meet the ranger later that day when his father came home????

• Love 3
On 9/27/2021 at 10:17 AM, AZChristian said:

Wow, that was some accident.  And even lying on the ground, Matt was telling his partner, "Make sure to collect IDs from everyone involved."  

Reminds me of the time that dump truck creamed Glenn Lucas' truck.  His first words were checking on the camerman riding with him.  Watching it happen was scary.

• Love 5

I just saw the Holmes crash (my DVR flaked out on me last week), and it was terrifying.    The second driver who fled the scene is a coward.    I hope he gets more than just a speeding ticket, like leaving the scene of an accident.   The other ATV driver stopped, and helped, the second driver is a total jerk.  Apparently driver #1 is father to driver #2.      My guess is driver #2 was high or otherwise impaired, and wanted time to sober up.  

Mancini was very fair to everyone.    I don't know how he kept control of his temper with the second driver.     The couple in the third vehicle stopped, but their machine was undriveable.    I love that when Matt was taken to Lewiston ME, that the Maine warden service paid for the hotel bills for the family.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

Holy crap,, that collision was shocking even when I knew it was coming.  Mancini was a whole lot more controlled than I would have been if I had seen my best friend creamed like that.  I know that's what makes a good cop but still.

The Holmes kids are adorable.  And obviously he's a big part of the community, love the deli sandwich!

Am I the only one who wondered why the cameraman didn't put down the damned camera and go help drag Matt out of the road?  Or the guy that hit him, for that matter.  Standing around wringing your hands doesn't help the situation.  For heaven's sake DO something!

Edited by Cetacean
The more I thought about it...
  • Love 3
On 9/27/2021 at 10:17 AM, AZChristian said:

I follow NWL on Facebook, so I knew he was going to be okay . . . but it was still a bit harrowing to see the whole thing. 

Same - I actually teared up because I didn't expect it to be so jarring, if that makes sense.  I'll admit, it might have been because my husband is a police officer (and trainer on the ATVs) and I'm pregnant, but yikes.  I'm just wondering what the heck happened to the actual driver of the UTV that hit him.  They said Maine was still investigating...which seems quite lengthy.  My husband said those UTVs can basically be the size of small cars.  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, VartanFan said:

Same - I actually teared up because I didn't expect it to be so jarring, if that makes sense.  I'll admit, it might have been because my husband is a police officer (and trainer on the ATVs) and I'm pregnant, but yikes.  I'm just wondering what the heck happened to the actual driver of the UTV that hit him.  They said Maine was still investigating...which seems quite lengthy.  My husband said those UTVs can basically be the size of small cars.  

I think he's getting off easy.  According to one article, "A Coos County grand jury has indicted Ryan Gingras-Jodrie, 24, of Groton, Mass., with reckless conduct. The Coos County Attorney’s office also charged Gingras-Jodrie with the Class A misdemeanor count of vehicular assault."

It helped that he stayed right there and was contrite, but I think it should have been more than a misdemeanor count for vehicular assault since he was going at an excessive speed when he could not see the roadway ahead.  

BTW, please pass along our thanks to your husband for his service!

• Love 2

That's good news AZ Christian.    

Mancini said the couple in the UTV stayed behind because their vehicle was undriveable.      I think driver #2 who fled should have had a lot more charges than the ones Mancini charged him with.   Son had a history of speeding, and I bet other traffic infractions, and I bet learned nothing from the accident.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Mancini said the couple in the UTV stayed behind because their vehicle was undriveable.

Plus he sat by the side of the road with his head in his hands and didn't lift a finger to help Mancini drag his partner out of danger.  For heaven's sake, man up and help the guy you just slammed into.  I bet he was more concerned about his UTV and his legal problems than another human that he'd hurt.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1