Type keyword(s) to search

Paranormal and Ghosthunting Shows: Ghosties, Ghoulies and Things That Go Bump in the Night

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

That one about the Birds Aren't Real had to be staged for laughs, though.  Had to be!  Especially with the "handshake" bit.

Although I will give the guy 'running things' & Dalen credit.  They kept a poker face and didn't lose it during any of it.

I loved the instances of Jack, Juwan and Marcus doing little to hide their incredulity or hold their laughter in during the whole call.

Whose watching the new series, Ghosts of Devil's Perch?  First episode premiered last Sunday night;  re-airing at 7p CST tonight, followed by the new episode at 8p.  Its just another paranormal investigation series, only involving most of a small town instead of just one single location.

Think it's just a way to keep Dave Schrader and Cindy Kaza relevant & around, after Trvl cancelled The Holzer Files.

(& speaking of cancelled shows on Trvl, learned that Portals to Hell was cancelled while watching Fright Club)

5 hours ago, Ananayel said:

No, not Portals! Maybe they have something else lined up for Jack. Katrina is whatevs.

Hopefully Fright Club sticks around for a while, that way we'll have Jack at least in that way.

I like JO.  The rest of the Osbournes, however.... haven't seen his sister much in things, but what I have seen I could mostly do without.  Even more so for his parents.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36

Ghost Adventures lovers, this is your week on Trvl.  Holy shit.

Every morning, day AND night (so far) has been one continuous marathon.

Good thing there's other channels and other stuff to watch/do, because having to suffer through that show non-stop would be my own personal suffering in the 7th level of Hell.

• Applause 1
On 9/15/2022 at 9:17 AM, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Ghost Adventures lovers, this is your week on Trvl.  Holy shit.

Every morning, day AND night (so far) has been one continuous marathon.

I noticed that too and thought they were leading up to new eps, but I saw nothing on Friday nor Saturday. What happened?

On 9/18/2022 at 7:32 PM, Gharlane said:

I noticed that too and thought they were leading up to new eps, but I saw nothing on Friday nor Saturday. What happened?

Pretty sure the new season starts tomorrow night (9/22 @ 9p CDT).  Or at least that's my take by many many ads they keep showing for the new season starting up on Trvl.

EDIT:  Looking at the D* guide, it seems like the new season must have debuted last week.  Tomorrow night's new episode is listed as S27E02.

Commentary:  This series is in it's 27th season!?  Yeesh!

In case anyone might want to check something like this out, Trvl is airing a 'Ghostober Preview' show at 5p CDT tonight. 

According to my D* guide, it's going to be hosted by the Ghost Brothers, Jason Hawes and Cindy Kaza.

That's the downside of these huge marathons leading up to a new episode - it's too easy to just assume, especially after several days of it, that the new episode is an old one, especially since they take old things, edit them slightly or combine two eps, and call it a new one. I think GA used to be on Friday or Saturday at one point. 

The preview special was annoying, and I love me some Ghost Brothers.

33 minutes ago, Ananayel said:

That's the downside of these huge marathons leading up to a new episode - it's too easy to just assume, especially after several days of it, that the new episode is an old one, especially since they take old things, edit them slightly or combine two eps, and call it a new one. I think GA used to be on Friday or Saturday at one point. 

The preview special was annoying, and I love me some Ghost Brothers.

I still watch most the stuff I can on Trvl during "Ghostober" just because I'm usually in the mood for it, since October=Halloween, etc.  But its lost a lot of the luster I had for it as the years continue on, especially now that I know they are repackaging old shows and presenting them as newer ones.

Wasn't on Trvl back then, but I miss the years when Bravo aired the 100 Scariest Movie Moments.  I binged the f* out of that show, every mid-to-late October, back in the few years it aired.  Coming up on the 18th year anniversary of when it first aired in late October of 2004.  Man, the nostalgia.

Have watched Eli Roth's History of Horror, on AMC, but while OK and kinda similar, its not nearly as entertaining as 100SMMs was.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Gharlane said:

I noticed Travel Channel has a 2-hour special on the Amityville Horror tonight. Hey! The 1970's called and wants its supernatural fable back... 

The funny thing is, the more I watch about that, the more convinced I am that something broke in the guy's brain - be it his sanity or something else - and he slaughtered his whole family because he imagined that some supernatural force made him do it.

And as for the family right afterwards, they just wanted to capitalize on the paranormal craze that the story provided for them and used it to profit off of it.  Ended up as a book and movie(s).

Maybe that is just my extreme skeptical side coming out, but I do think that is the most likely reality of it all.

• Applause 1

Watching a couple recent-ish season's episodes of Ghost Adventures, and yep, haven't missed anything since I dropped it years ago.

Its a shame really that Bagans and crew started over-sensationalizing everything about their reactions because I used to actually like this series in its earlier years.  The reactions in the earlier years felt genuine and not played up for the cameras, but now its the exact opposite. 

Not gonna lie, it almost feels like most of their freakout reactions are staged only for dramatic effect, ever since the series reached double-digit season numbers.  And full honesty, I wouldn't be surprised if it was revealed that they faked a good deal of the evidence they 'catch' in these later seasons.

• Like 1

So, Robert the Doll - just watched the 'ShockDoc' special on it on Trvl - ....

I wouldn't necessarily say I believe much of all that about it being strong enough to cause all those different calamities, especially to those who only seen it in the museum and then went back home - assuming its cursed/haunted at all, to begin with.  But that said, I also wouldn't go out of my way to visit the doll and intentionally antagonize it either just to make a mockery of its 'legend' and test my luck. 

I try very hard to not seek out ways to tempt fate, belief in a particular thing or lack thereof.

On 9/30/2022 at 10:08 PM, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

So, Robert the Doll - just watched the 'ShockDoc' special on it on Trvl - ....

I wouldn't necessarily say I believe much of all that about it being strong enough to cause all those different calamities, especially to those who only seen it in the museum and then went back home - assuming its cursed/haunted at all, to begin with.  But that said, I also wouldn't go out of my way to visit the doll and intentionally antagonize it either just to make a mockery of its 'legend' and test my luck. 

I try very hard to not seek out ways to tempt fate, belief in a particular thing or lack thereof.

If you didn't believe that the doll had any powers, why would you take the time to go see it and taunt it? 🤔

10 hours ago, Gharlane said:

If you didn't believe that the doll had any powers, why would you take the time to go see it and taunt it? 🤔

Because even though I believe the doll is nothing other than the manufactured materials its made of, there's still that 0.000000000000000001% chance it truly is supernaturally 'powerful'.

Almost always better to be safe than sorry.

Paranormal Caught on Camera. Guy whose been on before with his hauntings. He moved and brought it with him. He was hearing banging and noises in the house. He brought in an investigator. You see the guy go into the basement then a shadow follow him down. Then he yells and runs up the stairs and holds the door, lots of loud banging. Then he runs out of the house. If it's real, holy crap. The guy thinks its a voodoo curse. He needs to get ahold of a voodoo person if it's real.

On 9/23/2022 at 9:49 PM, Gharlane said:

I noticed Travel Channel has a 2-hour special on the Amityville Horror tonight. Hey! The 1970's called and wants its supernatural fable back... 

I happened to catch part of this while channel surfing last night and saw one of the guys from Ghost Hunters commenting on the so-called event. Really, guys? So much for your credibility.

• Love 1
On 6/24/2020 at 11:30 PM, Salzmank said:

Anyone seen last summer’s Mysteries Decoded with supposed actress/private eye/Navy vet Jennifer Marshall on The CW (Channel 11 for me)? 

I caught a rerun last night that was Jennifer investigating a Cerro Gordo, a ghost town dubbed "the most haunted ghost town in America" for some reason. Unfortunately, they invited a female "pyschic" along who spent most of her time "reading auras" and trying to "communicate with spirits". They spent most of the time investigating a hotel that "mysteriously" burned down which people blamed on a ghost. After wasting 30 minutes of investigating a haunted bed from the town and the psychic doing her thing, it turns out the fire was most likely started by faulty wiring that had been installed in a wood building in the desert in the early 1900's. I wanted to give the "psychic" a two-by-four headache when she believed that a ghost caused the faulty wiring to start the fire. This show used to be a lot more credible in the past.

Edited by Gharlane
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, Gharlane said:

I caught a rerun last night that was Jennifer investigating a Cerro Gordo, a ghost town dubbed "the most haunted ghost town in America" for some reason. Unfortunately, they invited a female "pyschic" along who spent most of her time "reading auras" and trying to "communicate with spirits". They spent most of the time investigating a hotel that "mysteriously" burned down which people blamed on a ghost. After wasting 30 minutes of investigating a haunted bed from the town and the psychic doing her thing, it turns out the fire was most likely started by faulty wiring that had been installed in a wood building in the desert in the early 1900's. I wanted to give the "psychic" a two-by-four headache when she believed that a ghost caused the faulty wiring to start the fire. This show used to be a lot more credible in the past.

Ghosts always get a bad rap and all the blame.

No wonder they like making people's lives hell.

Watching some early S1 P: CoC eps on Travl, and I forgot how funny the red-haired and bearded guy could be at times.

The one about the guys investigating the Biltmore Hotel in Coral Gables, FL, and they are trying to get EVP, and the guy asks if there is an afterlife, and they get 'yes' in response when playing it back.

The commenter, said with a smirk:  "When asked if there was an afterlife, the ghost said 'yes'.  Although I think it would have been spookier if it had said 'no'."

lol

I found a new show (American Mysteries) this weekend. Well, it was new to me but I have no recollection of seeing it during the pandemic. 🤷‍♂️

"Close Encounters". Experts investigate the abduction of Betty and Barney Hill, recent new evidence could explain where Travis Walton was for five days and there may be an earthly explanation for the Mothman.

They were somewhat skeptical about Betty and Barney Hill but didn't really go into details about why Travis Walton was an outright fraud. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Scandal is a-brewin'.https://paranormalitymag.com/trouble-in-travel-channel-paranormal-paradise/

If they dump all the shows that feature a female or minority investigator, what will they be left with? If Destination Fear, Kindred Spirits, Holzer Files, Portals to Hell, and Ghost Brothers are gone, that basically means Douchebro Baggins's shows and P: CoC. And they exiled him to streaming only at one point. TRVL, if you are listening to Zak, stop it. Get those cancelled shows back, renew DF, and don't you dare touch the Ghost Brothers.

Also, take Nick Groff's whining about Zak allegedly faking evidence with a grain of salt - one of the first episodes of Paranormal Lockdown featured and obvious fake, so he can shut it.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, Gharlane said:

I'm surprised there hasn't been several cancelations of paranormal investigation shows already. This genre has been on the decline in popularity for several years.

But then Travl would either have to commission more paranormal investigation shows, to replace them, or even crazier - have to air actual shows that are geared more to its actual namesake.

The horror!

But in all seriousness, if Travl does lose most of its paranormal & PI shows, it would feel pretty weird after all these years of almost nothing but.

I would not lose a wink of sleep if Ghost Adventures was the only show got removed, though.

• Useful 1

Remember 15 or more years ago when Trvl aired shows like Great Hotels with Samantha Brown? Then they morphed into ghosts and goulies. Much like another Discover owned channel, TLC, which originally was The Learning Channel showing somewhat educational or at least entertaining shows like Trading Spaces. They dropped the full title to become TLC and started showing freak shows. 👎

• Like 1
On 3/10/2023 at 7:52 AM, Ananayel said:

Scandal is a-brewin'.https://paranormalitymag.com/trouble-in-travel-channel-paranormal-paradise/

If they dump all the shows that feature a female or minority investigator, what will they be left with? If Destination Fear, Kindred Spirits, Holzer Files, Portals to Hell, and Ghost Brothers are gone, that basically means Douchebro Baggins's shows and P: CoC. And they exiled him to streaming only at one point. TRVL, if you are listening to Zak, stop it. Get those cancelled shows back, renew DF, and don't you dare touch the Ghost Brothers.

Also, take Nick Groff's whining about Zak allegedly faking evidence with a grain of salt - one of the first episodes of Paranormal Lockdown featured and obvious fake, so he can shut it.

Sigh.  This made me so sad.  Why do they have to keep killing the shows i love?  I hope someone steps in and takes all the canceled shows and starts a paranormal network.  Ive been saying it for years.  I wonder what Discover said about all this.  Would they  still put them on D+ ?  Zak, ive always had your back, but if you had any hand in this, you'll suck beyond belief.

I did some more checking, and it looks like most, except for the absolute cheapest to produce, are cancelled. There have been huge cuts everywhere since the HBO merger was announced. I'd say I hope for another network to grab them, but almost all of the networks that would air these shows is part of this same corporation. I've been saying for years there needs to be a separate channel for paranormal shows - all of them - called Bū (since you can't trademark Boo.) Also I need a 24/7 channel for old school VH1 Celebreality, but that's another discussion.

• Like 1
On 3/11/2023 at 12:42 PM, ForumLou said:

Sigh.  This made me so sad.  Why do they have to keep killing the shows i love?  I hope someone steps in and takes all the canceled shows and starts a paranormal network.  Ive been saying it for years.  I wonder what Discover said about all this.  Would they  still put them on D+ ?  Zak, ive always had your back, but if you had any hand in this, you'll suck beyond belief.

Why do you have his back? Genuine question. Are you just entertained by his programme, and others like it. Or do you believe these people are getting actual proof of the paranormal?

Would that work, though? I'm sure they have a decent built in audience, but I would think the costs to produce a decent show would be fairly high (travel, equipment, editing to make 18 hours roaming around a crumbling whatever interesting and well-paced), certainly compared to things like Tasking History or Simon Whistler's channels where the costs are more getting the rarer ingredients and paying writers for content. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

Why do you have his back? Genuine question. Are you just entertained by his programme, and others like it. Or do you believe these people are getting actual proof of the paranormal?

Nah, I've just been a fan of the show from ep1 and never quit watching thru all his 'phases' and ideations.  Although i came very close in his scream, bullying and yell orders at the guys phase. Called him a bitch lil girl more than once lol.  But then it seemed like he matured and grew past that and would talk to the guys in a low voice and not be a bully.  But to the guy who's had EP credits on tons of shows, has his own side hustle with the museum, if he is so insatiable as to have a heavy hand in this, then i refer back to my original comment, you are a bitch little girl, but might i also add selfish.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ForumLou said:

Nah, I've just been a fan of the show from ep1 and never quit watching thru all his 'phases' and ideations.  Although i came very close in his scream, bullying and yell orders at the guys phase. Called him a bitch lil girl more than once lol.  But then it seemed like he matured and grew past that and would talk to the guys in a low voice and not be a bully.  But to the guy who's had EP credits on tons of shows, has his own side hustle with the museum, if he is so insatiable as to have a heavy hand in this, then i refer back to my original comment, you are a bitch little girl, but might i also add selfish.

Why is "bitch little girl" an insult? Sounds like 3 things that are value neutral. Unless the person using them as an insult happens to be a misogynist. 

Edited by Grrarrggh
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

Why is "bitch little girl" an insult? Sounds like 3 things that are value neutral. Unless the person using them as an insult happens to be a misogynist. 

Well, that would be me, and Im definitely female and definitely not a misogynist.  I just realized my nick could go either way.  Its just my middle name haha.  I dont know, i just picture Zak, manly studly man that he is (heee) seriously, no offense, but i don't think he would appreciate being called a screechy whiny crying little girl.  Hell, i wouldn't like it if i were haha

Did Trvl remove Ghost Adventures from their lineup?  Or move it to a different day??

First time, in seems like forever, that they are showing something other than a full day marathon of GA on a Thursday.

.... but sadly, what they're showing instead is just as unwatchable.  A full day marathon of something called Haunted Case Files.  Has investigators talking about past cases of theirs, with bad acting playing out the scenes/events for viewers.

The channels affected by the Warner takeover are getting worse, to the point where some of them may not survive. Either shows will be entirely toast, or wind up back on streaming only, like they tried with GA. I just want more Mountain Monsters, that's all.

• Useful 1
10 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Did Trvl remove Ghost Adventures from their lineup?  Or move it to a different day??

First time, in seems like forever, that they are showing something other than a full day marathon of GA on a Thursday.

.... but sadly, what they're showing instead is just as unwatchable.  A full day marathon of something called Haunted Case Files.  Has investigators talking about past cases of theirs, with bad acting playing out the scenes/events for viewers.

Yeah and its bad tomorrow too full day of Terror in the Woods...blah.  and no Kindred Spirits.   i believe GA played a day earlier, all day Weds.  Then next week on Tues 4/4.  What's this about a Warner takeover?  Is that why the cancellations?.?

On 1/2/2022 at 12:48 PM, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Is The Osbournes Want to Believe watchable now?  I tried to for a bit of one episode from its first season and Ozzy was mumble-murdering everything he said.  It was extremely hard to figure out what he was saying.

Yea that's one show that def improved with age.

• Useful 2

I love anything Osbournes, so I will watch it regardless. 

Warner Brothers (owner of HBO among other things) bought Discovery, and had plans to merge HBO Max and Discovery+. I think some of that has changed, since the two brands are so different. But as cost cutting measures, movies have been shelved (some that were even done filming,) shows cancelled, and shows removed from streaming on HBO Max specifically so they don't have to pay royalties. Every cancelled show should be shopped to other networks/streamers, but most of them are now owned by the same conglomerates. Sigh.

• Sad 1
  • Useful 1
On 3/31/2023 at 7:01 AM, Ananayel said:

Warner Brothers (owner of HBO among other things) bought Discovery, and had plans to merge HBO Max and Discovery+. I think some of that has changed, since the two brands are so different. But as cost cutting measures, movies have been shelved (some that were even done filming,) shows cancelled, and shows removed from streaming on HBO Max specifically so they don't have to pay royalties. Every cancelled show should be shopped to other networks/streamers, but most of them are now owned by the same conglomerates. Sigh.

Oh wow.  I bet that's what precipitated TNT buying some of the GA eps.  I don't know if they got eps ala carte, or whole seasons

On 3/31/2023 at 7:01 AM, Ananayel said:

SMe here as far as O's go.  And that show, i cant imagine would be too expensive to produce.  Most costly is,probably getting the clips to show.

• Like 1

Watching an older (s5) episode [Hill View Manor] of GA, and I don't remember that original 3 being so 'everything is a joke to us'.

Compared to these later seasons, where humor is about as scarce as any truly verifiable proof they gather.

6 hours ago, Ananayel said:

I suspect it's clips we've already seen in the regular show, repackaged into a theme show. They are still in cost-cutting mode, I guess. 

Exactly what it was.

Also exactly what I expected it to be.  Just repackaged UFO-only clips from the first couple seasons of P:CoC, along with the talking heads paranormal-splaining what's in the clips. 

(edited)

Watching the season 6 premiere of P:CoC.

Trvl still keeping people around, even if their own shows were cancelled.  Katrina Weidman (Portals to Hell) and Dalen Spratt & Juwan Mass (Ghost Brothers) are commenters.  Even though his show might still be on (UFO Witness), Ben Hansen is also a new commenter. 

Steve Shippy, a paranormal 'expert' and film maker is also a new commenter.

There have been rumors going around for a while that Zak Bagans is behind all the cancellations. It's been discussed in some paranormal mags, and Lainey and Ben's youtube channel has several videos about it. Allegedly, he started throwing his weight around about anything to do with Nick Groff or anyone who had worked with NIck. Then when GA moved to the "flagship" channel instead of TRVL, he threw it around some more. I don't know if I believe he's got that much power over an entity that exists only to make money/get ratings, but there's no denying that virtually every other paranormal show on that family of networks is gone, except Dead Files I think, and it started with shows that were or had the potential to be more popular than GA. 

I hate Dead Files - I can't stand Amy's mugging. 

https://www.youtube.com/@LaineyandBen

• Like 2
(edited)

If those rumors about Bagans getting all the other supernatural hunting shows cancelled from cable prove to actually be the full truth - aside from The Dead Files and maybe Ghost Hunters and Expedition X? - then I will never willingly watch another episode of Ghost Adventures ever again.

I already don't like GA very much, but it'll be a cold day in hell before I support a guy who intentionally ruined it for everyone else;  both those in the biz and those us who liked to watch the other series.

• Like 3