Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Eli Matchett

• Start Topic

How have you managed to stay so invested? My eyes glaze over after the first episode of every season until the last one rolls in, simply because I am mostly bored to tears with it all. Now it seems I'm watching to tear it apart and I loved it so much! If it wasn't for Spader, I'd have shut up and gone home a long time ago!

I guess I cling to believing that this show could be the show that it should be but just can't seem to deliver. The premise is absolutely wonderful- a criminal mastermind decides to join forces with the FBI to take down even bigger scumbags in the criminal underworld. Oh, with that criminal mastermind being played by James Spader. It could have been a wonderful examination of the methods of the law vs. the criminal world, where the central question could be "what exactly does it mean 'to do the right thing'?" Even stuff like the Cabal and its shadow world government could be compelling if it were properly fleshed out.

Alas, only Spader has worked out...the writing on this show has been largely non-existent. They believe that being "cagey" is being mysterious, that random explosions means there's actions, and great acting can sell a non-existent plot. It's a sad failure for a show that had so much potential.

• Love 3

I guess I cling to believing that this show could be the show that it should be but just can't seem to deliver. The premise is absolutely wonderful- a criminal mastermind decides to join forces with the FBI to take down even bigger scumbags in the criminal underworld. Oh, with that criminal mastermind being played by James Spader. It could have been a wonderful examination of the methods of the law vs. the criminal world, where the central question could be "what exactly does it mean 'to do the right thing'?" Even stuff like the Cabal and its shadow world government could be compelling if it were properly fleshed out.

Alas, only Spader has worked out...the writing on this show has been largely non-existent. They believe that being "cagey" is being mysterious, that random explosions means there's actions, and great acting can sell a non-existent plot. It's a sad failure for a show that had so much potential.

Sociopathic killer Tony Soprano is the man you don't love to hate, you just love him, no matter what he does. That's great writing, great directing and incredible acting. The other characters in the Sopranos received the same treatment. None of them got shoddy lines, nobody was ignored for several episodes at a time and nothing was swept under the carpet (for example, 911 would have said quite clearly 'man in diner says he sees Raymond Reddington', which Aram would have forwarded to Ressler) for convenience sake and every person in the cast had a fully fleshed out real character with plenty of lines and a story. Criminal Minds has a similar number of characters in its task force and manages the same. The Blacklist is on Season 3 now with 22 episodes per season. That's more than enough time to have managed to round out every character and their impetus. But they have failed spectacularly on that front believing we believe everything. They have made Liz Keen such a weak character it's very difficult to see her acting in a different way. For her to have been the person who imprisoned Tom, shot the US Att. Gen and then shot a cop, we had to have seen her as not being the victim. That elusive bitch people claimed she was. But all we saw was crying weak Lizzie. Reddington has, quite simply, ruined her life. Spader is obviously enjoying being the driver of this show, but when he tires of it, it's over.

Edited by Miss Scarlet Says
  • Love 1

I actually grew up in Fairfield, so this episode was great fun for me.  Hearing everyone name drop my hometown was great. They even got the county right on the side of the ambulance. And the small town of Abington really exists.  Either someone on the show is familiar with that area or they actually consulted a map.

Except for the part with the shadowy bad guy farmers naming their group with a Spanish name. Uh...no.  

• Love 2

Betsyboo, the cop didn't identify himself, drew first and turned/ raised his weapon, so at that point she had no choice. Had he identified himself, as good citizens we're supposed to believe she would have had to surrender, but it would be nice to see credentials before surrendering your firearm. He could just as easily have been one of the bazillion evildoers after Red.

The out will be a bar full of witnesses. (And it isn't felony murder either, unless evading arrest/ ducking a warrant is felonious?)

Norask, I don't think they'll reveal the secret any time soon at this point. There's been so much build up that it can't not disappoint, and I don't think they want their viewership to realize that, so I doubt they'll highlight their shortcomings with that particular reveal till they're cancelled. If even then.

Edited by krimimimi
  • Love 2

This show would be so much better without the Liz character.  Now a whole season of her on the whiny run and Red wasting his time trying to clear her name?  UGH.  it's too hard to mute her every time she opens her mouth.   Love that Tom is back.  I like his character.  And Peewee, I liked his character too.  I bet Mr. Kaplan can find them.  Her and Red's gang. 

• Love 1

Keen continues being a total idiot. She called Ressler, thinking he would back off because she ASKED him to? Really?! The only thing I can think is that the writers are making her stupid on purpose.

• Love 2

Keen continues being a total idiot. She called Ressler, thinking he would back off because she ASKED him to? Really?! The only thing I can think is that the writers are making her stupid on purpose.

I could totally buy this.  Spader is an executive producer on the show now, and we know his feelings toward Boone, so I would not be surprised if he is edging her character to look ridiculous.  He knows people are watching for him.