Type keyword(s) to search

Chopped Junior

Bella
  • Start Topic

Aww. I liked both the girls in the final round this week but really liked the girl from New Zealand. Bummer. Though I was concerned that she said she would use some of the prize money to "buy a cat" if she won. No, no, no--adopt a cat who needs you! And I hope the somnolent musician judge is never invited back (proposing an alfredo sauce on her Chinese five spice-seasoned poussin, really?). He added nothing and seemed like he knew approximately zero about food.

• Love 3

I am surely going to Hell, because I just caught on Chopped Junior, where one of the kids, 11, was so obnoxious, so arrogant, I just wanted to punch the smug off his face. I was seriously wondering if it's just kids today, that talk this way. That he was so full of himself, because his dad worked in "hotels" and he'd been to France, Brazil, Malaysia, and he planned on owning his own restaurant by the time he was 18. Yeah, okay. Since his dad's in hotels, maybe Dad would float him the loan to open one. I was hoping he'd be the first chopped and he was! The one kid I did want to win, did, because he actually talked like a kid, and it didn't sound scripted.  He was also 11, and had a sister who was 9, but had open heart surgery when she was 2, and he was doing this for her.

It's difficult to explain, but sometimes, you just know when the words coming out of a kid's mouth sound they were written for him or her.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 5

Overall I like Chopped Jr, mostly because the kids are so nice and supportive of each other, but you guys are right about the intros.  Another thing I hate is that one or more of the kids is always given some sort of "flair" - a winter hat (in the KITCHEN?), cat ear headband, sideways baseball cap, etc. I'm watching one right now in which one of the girl contestants is wearing a headband with a giant pink bow.  If this isn't producer-driven, kids have sure changed a lot since my kids were that age; then, it was all about fitting in, not about standing out with some odd fashion quirk/style.

• Love 1

I've been waiting for someone to explain to me, maybe I missed it, but why was Jason Varitek a judge? Is it because he's eaten food in his lifetime? He's not on a different Food Network show right now that I know of so it wasn't that he happened to be in the building.

Oh, it's just me??!? Michelle Trachtenberg's adult voice and face and entire being an adult made me feel really old. The kid dressed like Tim should model. There was a little internal struggle for me as to weather I was rooting for the Tiger or the Scientist to win. I really liked when Scientist kid had to explain "it's not really blood, it's ketchup."

• Love 1

Race car driver Danica Patrick was a judge last night.  Her qualifications were not explained.  Why don't they just start asking random people off the street to judge?  The kids were mostly forgettable but I am also tired of the contestants bragging about their travels to or lives in (name exotic locale here).  Danica's never won a Sprint Cup race, but she told one of the chopped contestants to just keep plugging away at it; one day she'd win.  My husband quickly responded, "You too, Danica."

• Love 1

I guess Danica must be considered a "foodie" or something.  Why I don't know.  I do recall that she competed on Chopped a couple years ago.  It was some special episode but I don't remember what the theme was.

I think most of the kids who compete come from rather privileged backgrounds which makes some sense because they have to have parents who can afford to take them to NYC and pay the expenses involved.  Some of the kids are appealing and others are very much not.  Last night, I was hoping the little guy would win because he endeared himself to me when he said, "I'm weird......and I like it."  LOL  I'm sure the girl who won is somebody's little princess.  From the look on her face several times, I'd bet she's a bit of a snot.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, justjen said:

Was that Sammy from Food Network Star Kids?

I was wondering the same thing.  It sure looked like him.  He's small for his age but he's a beautiful child.

I could have done without bugs on a stick.  

I know I mentioned this before but it drove me nuts again in an episode I watched yesterday....two boys in hats.  One a baseball cap set way way back on his head, a style no one wore ever, and the other in an older-man 60's hat like Don Draper would wear.  Neither of these hats looked remotely natural on the 11- 12-year old kids, especially while cooking, and I'm clueless as to why the producers think this nonsense is necessary. 

• Love 1

These kids are pretty amazing. I could never do what they do, but they are such egomaniacs! I can't believe how full of themselves they are. A little humility would go a long way with these big headed twits. Insufferable.

• Love 1

Most of the kids seem to come from privileged backgrounds which is, I imagine, inevitable as average families across the country probably can't afford to take a child and at least one adult to NYC at their own expense.  The majority of the kids act as though they have never in their short lives been told that anything they have done was less than perfect and wonderful.

I wish the producers would put a stop to hats and gigantic bows and other ridiculous accessories.  Those affectations just look pretentious and unnatural for the most part.

• Love 5

I get annoyed that some of the kids insist they are going to donate their winnings - first of all I think that is probably BS that they would donate all of it and then it is like a "thing" that other kids might feel pressured to do.  I'm sure it goes along with the privileged backgrounds they likely come from; but, I like it best when the kid says they are going to buy stuff.  The best was the little girl who said she was going to open a business for her mom with her winnings - bless her heart, she has no idea how far $10,000 won't go.  

The style statements (hats, bows, etc.) don't bother me that much because I think they have to be kind of quirky and at least a bit of an entertainer to have the nerve to do the show to begin with and maybe they notice that some of the grown up contestants do the same thing - and worse.  I bet many of these same kids like to perform onstage at school and community theater.  

• Love 2

I would like a 10 year follow-up on the 2 kids that were in the dessert round last night. Tell me they won't end up dating!

So honestly what I really want the producers to stop doing is having the kids say how honored they were to be there and even though they didn't win they know we haven't heard the last of them and they will be a famous chef someday when all the kid wants to do is have a good cry. Let little Marty Gras cry!

• Love 2

It is time to retire this show.  The young talent pool has dried up.  The age limit should be at least 13 because the episode I just saw the kids were burning things, cutting things unevenly, and this 9 year old named Jada was all attitude with no skills, but what can you expect for her age.  She didn't even batter her fish before she put it in the fryer and it got stuck to the bins.  They are just throwing stuff together likes regular kids.  The gimmick has run its course, just like on Kids Baking Championship.  Its just about dancing around and trying to be cute for the cameras and say cutey pie things or trying to act like grown adults.  Lets keep the cooking and baking for the adults.  They will soon get there turn in the future.

• Love 2

I can't stand the bacon on everything.  It does not make it better.  It just makes everything taste like bacon and I'm not a bacon lover.  i don't even like it on my hamburgers.  They will also use a lot of butter which I like a little better, but can be overdone as well.

• Love 3

I think my heart must've grown three sizes last night or something because I thought that was the best group of Chopped: Jr contestants in a long time. Annie and Sophie both seemed extremely talented and Annie was so freaking adorable! I wanted them both to win.

• Love 3

I just caught up on the eppys where the kids become the Judges - so cute.  I enjoyed it last night when Chris won.  The kids who ended up being the Judges did a great job and all four Judges who competed were very nice to the kids and took their criticism well.

Edited by penbrat
  • Love 2

penbrat - I agree - it was a great show.  You could tell that although the competing judges thought the kids were very cute, they tried hard to take it seriously.  I was really glad Chris won too - his charity is very personal to him.  I liked all those kids, especially the girl from Texas.  

• Love 1

For some reason, I told my DVD to record this kiddies' show, but I'm glad I did.  I was very impressed by the three kids chosen to judge.  I thought they seemed more knowledgeable about cooking and ingredients than most adults are.  It's always fun for me to see the regular judges in combat.  Chris was certainly happy finally to win one!  I doubt I'd watch a steady diet of all children judges on this show, but I found this change of pace enjoyable.

(edited)
On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 7:57 AM, LazyToaster said:

I liked all those kids, especially the girl from Texas.  

I was surprised when she didn't pick up on the fact that Chris had *gasp* beans in his supposed Texas chili.  Now, I like beans in mine but that's a total no-no in Texas.

Edited by Rammchick

Caught a bit of bad editing in the show the other night.  Took place during the beginning of entree presentations.  At this point there should have been only 3 contestants but when the judges asked one of the kids about their plans for the future, the camera pulled back and showed all 4 of them standing in front of the judges. 

Good eye Koalagirl - I never catch stuff like that.  I'm more likely to pay attention to eye rolling etc. 

Apropos of nothing... I love when Alex G. gives her little story lines when trying to describe something - she will say things like - well, it was ok - except it was a little like a party where the lima beans weren't really invited but came anyway.  She cracks me up! 

• Love 3
(edited)

Catching up on what's on the TiVo and watching the episode from 25 April, the fry-something-in-every-round competition. I am struck by the fact that they seem to have cast really low-key and, in some cases, not particularly telegenic kids for this one. There is the cancer survivor kid who's been on prednisone and is totally swollen (I feel sorry for him because he must get teased and he actually seems pretty nice and a good cook). There's a Southern girl who looks worried all the time. And there's a girl from New Jersey (I think) who has zero affect. Like, no one is home at all. It's actually a bit uncomfortable watching her (for me) because she looks so uncomfortable. Just a curious bunch and it makes me wonder if they cast them all on the same episode to keep them from getting totally eclipsed by more charismatic kids.

Edited by jcbrown
  • Love 2

I enjoyed the fry-every-round show.  The boy who had battled cancer was inspiring - very upbeat and competent.  I thought the NJ girl was pretty subdued as well; but, loved her deadpan response when asked about the food "no, I'm Italian!". 

I'm always impressed when watching CJ to see how nice the kids are to each other.  I also tend to appreciate the interaction with the judges. 

I was impressed with the boy who has leukemia too and figured he must have very supportive parents.  He's 13, a difficult age, and his appearance and short stature must be hard on him but seemed to have the internal strength to handle those things and be positive.  I was afraid the judges would let him win out of sympathy but I thought he deserved it in the end.

• Love 2

I enjoyed the finale of the tournament tonight.  Both kids who made it to the dessert round seemed very nice and quite talented.  I was tickled that little Buck won.  I liked him all along and, at 11 y/o, he can cook better than I can.  I was hoping that his father would come out at the end.  

Usually they give the losers a FN gift certificate.  I wondered why they didn't this time.  

• Love 3

Well, the kids are back.  I always feel bad for the kid who's eliminated first.  Last night I thought it would be the kid who burned the beef tongue.  In fact, he burned his compote later in the show ... and still ended up winning.  

Go figure!

• Love 1
(edited)

I couldn't stand that girl who thinks she's all that and then some so I was glad she didn't win.  I was surprised that none of the judges said anything about her using pre-made tart shells.  I liked the kid who won.  He came across as nice and mature for his age plus his voice had already changed so he was pleasant to listen to.  I'm glad he was able to think on his feet and salvage his disasters.

That actress who was on the judging panel added absolutely nothing to the show.  

Edited by mlp
Add comment.
  • Love 3
On 6/26/2019 at 12:27 PM, mlp said:

I couldn't stand that girl who thinks she's all that and then some so I was glad she didn't win.  I was surprised that none of the judges said anything about her using pre-made tart shells.  I liked the kid who won.  He came across as nice and mature for his age plus his voice had already changed so he was pleasant to listen to.  I'm glad he was able to think on his feet and salvage his disasters.

That actress who was on the judging panel added absolutely nothing to the show.  

I agree ! The girl was so full of herself snd so sure she would win. She looked like she couldn’t believe she lost, and is very used to getting her way !

I liked the boy who won too ! He seemed like a good kid and did a good job !

• Love 1

I'm impressed by the imagination and skill these kids have. When I was their age, my skill level was bacon and eggs and putting pre-made cookie dough in the oven.

Chopped editors are really good. I loved how the included the shots that emphasized how these really are kids. That some of them aren't tall enough to reach the top shelf of the refrigerator, have trouble opening jars and their arms aren't long enough to safely handle pots of boiling water on the back burner.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, xaxat said:

I'm impressed by the imagination and skill these kids have. When I was their age, my skill level was bacon and eggs and putting pre-made cookie dough in the oven.

Chopped editors are really good. I loved how the included the shots that emphasized how these really are kids. That some of them aren't tall enough to reach the top shelf of the refrigerator, have trouble opening jars and their arms aren't long enough to safely handle pots of boiling water on the back burner.

I loved that little boy, Ian who made it to the dessert round. I knew he wouldn't win because of the overcooked steak in the entree round.

At that age, I was able to make scrambled eggs and grilled cheese!

• Love 2
On 7/3/2019 at 9:53 AM, libgirl2 said:

I loved that little boy, Ian who made it to the dessert round. I knew he wouldn't win because of the overcooked steak in the entree round.

I agree, he was adorable. I also noticed the other boy had beautiful eyes. I could have done without the Spider Man tie-in gimmick but otherwise I enjoyed this episode. I wouldn't want kids in Chopped too much but these summer seasons of it are fun, to me.

• Love 2
On 7/9/2019 at 6:59 PM, Gramto6 said:

Why is JZ eating with chopsticks??? Even the ice cream??

We've asked this many times on the adult version.  Martha Stewart did it as well, or started it, and Geoffrey followed suit.

• Love 2

What kind of pretentious parents name a kid Zepplyn and allow an 11 y/o child to have a hairstyle with one half hanging in her face and the other half buzzed or whatever you call that ridiculous style?  Ditto the boy with bright red hair.  Good grief.  I was glad the nice little girl won.

FN labels all the intro videos "submission video" when it's perfectly obvious that every one of them was filmed in the same kitchen.  They do it every season.

I always wonder if some of the judges' comments during the cooking are really filmed after the fact.  For years, I've noticed that a judge's comment about what he/she would make with the basket items is often followed by the contestant saying that they plan to do exactly that.  It happens too often to be coincidence.

• Love 1

All this show does is provide false hope and build the confidence of kids, who should not have it.... this false fake sense of being good at something they are actually terrible at (with no real Criticism because they’re scared to hurt their feelings)....not to mention the over confidant little kids, think they deserve the praise and don’t even get me started on the radical bias against the whites... this show is shit.... 

4 hours ago, Rammchick said:

Claudia Sandoval was one of the judges of this week's Chopped Junior. 

I watched.  I couldn't stand her when she was on MC and I'm still sort of appalled that she won.  Her bright red hair is ridiculous.  What bothered me most about her appearance on Chopped was that she seemed to regard herself as the ultimate authority even though she was sitting next to a legitimate and accomplished chef.  She monopolized the comments.  

I have no idea who the other guest judge was but it was clear that she was way out of whatever her element is.  She had nothing to say that needed to be said.  

I didn't like either of the girls so I was glad they were eliminated first and second.  The boys weren't exactly compelling but I didn't mind either of them and would have been OK with either winning.

20 hours ago, mlp said:

I watched.  I couldn't stand her when she was on MC and I'm still sort of appalled that she won. 

You know, I didn't mind her as much on MC, and maybe she didn't bray as much.  It's like this' all become her shtick and she's going to do it to death now.