Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: The Candidate

FormerMod-a1
  • Start Topic

In Laurel's defense, she did say that the people who know how to fix Thea are in Nanda Parbat.  How much of her desire to go there is for Thea's sake and how much about Sara and herself, I guess we'll find out.

But it's just a stupid idea for her to think anyone in Nanda Parbat not named Nyssa would be willing to help her at all. 

To me this is typical Laurel, running off half-cocked, not thinking her actions through at all.  But worse, I couldn't even get from KC's performance that she was either conflicted, freaked out or had something to tell me under the surface that she's remotely thinking this might not be the best idea.

It's just a bad plan and Laurel should feel bad.

• Love 13

If you don't think her trying to kill her brother is a clue that she's nutbars I think we'll have to agree to disagree.  

I don't think Laurel and Diggle would have thought that was what she was trying to do.  And we can totally agree to disagree, but I think they would have just thought she was wailing on him for pushing her buttons.

And let me say again - Oliver DID more when he thought Roy needed help.  He didn't bench Thea, he didn't say, "you can't go out in the field anymore" - he has done nothing.  So yea, I cannot blame Laurel here.

And let me say again - Oliver DID more when he thought Roy needed help.  He didn't bench Thea, he didn't say, "you can't go out in the field anymore" - he has done nothing.  So yea, I cannot blame Laurel here.

In which episode did Oliver beat the crap out of Thea again?

• Love 3

The whole Laurel and Thea situation is unsettling.

I'm not rage-y about it all. I'm genuinely disturbed.

I didn't feel any concern for Thea after Laurel found out about the pit. From that moment on, it felt like manipulation. If Laurel cared so much about Thea she could have gone to Oliver and brought up taking her back to Nanda for help. She could have mentioned Nyssa. She didn't because she knew they would stop her from bringing Sara. Which means it's not about Thea, it's about Sara or really herself.

• Love 20

Ok what????

You said Oliver did more when he thought Roy needed help.  I have no idea what you are talking about, but there has never been an episode in which Oliver beat up Thea, therefore Thea beating up Oliver is a good bit of a clue that anyone other than Laurel would have caught.

Do you mean Oliver was in the wrong because he didn't bench Thea, like he did Roy when Roy was on Mirakuru?  That probably has to do with the new kinder and gentler Oliver, not to mention the team's unhappy reaction to Oliver trying to boss them around just last week.  I rather doubt if Thea didn't take his expression of concern well last week she would take him benching her well this week.

Edited by AyChihuahua

I think @nksarmi is talking about when Roy was Mirakuru'd. But neither Laurel or Thea were around for that, so it's not like they would have had that to compare it to and say, "Oh, well, it can't be THAT bad." I mean, Laurel didn't even give it time. Not even a day, to talk to Oliver or ANYONE about this. To consider it, for more than a second. Just go ahead, use Thea as an excuse to get you into NP. Sounds great.

ETA: Speaking of time, there hadn't really been enough time for Oliver to bench Thea anyway, but even if he wanted to, guess what, he's not in charge! Thea even said it this episode. So what is he supposed to do? Sorry, but this feels like twisting in knots to excuse Laurel for not noticing her roommate/teammate has been slowly going nutso for the last five months, and then denying what she saw and what Thea's own brother was saying, and then immediately using it to her advantage once she was convinced. How convenient for her.

Edited by Carrie Ann
  • Love 11

Firstly, am I the only one whose ears are still ringing for the massive anvil drops that were foreshadowing events in the same episode? I am of course talking about LL thinking to dig up SL and Oliver running for Mayor.

Good stuff:

• CEO-Felicity is great and I like to see her fumbling and have a make it work moment. Enough to set up her and Mr Terrific's alliance without overtaking the episode and it fit into their theme of "we need someone standing for the people in the light..." What is it with their boners for heavy handed themes?
  • Liked Curtis and his vibe. I kind of already want him to be my bff.
  • LOVED the Oliver and Thea stuff. Their fight was both great and painful to watch. I love big brother Oliver even though he's an idiot.

Meh stuff:

• The Diggle-Laurel scene was OK, and I couldn't -at first- buy that they're close enough to tell her about HIVE. I find it hard to believe Lyla is not the person he has that conversation with first. It also keeps reminding me that I miss John-Felicity scenes soooo much.
  • The villiain, DD and Lance were a drag and such clear plot points that I couldn't bring myself to care. NM is great as DD, they need to use him thoughtfully.

Bad stuff:

• Captain Lance went from being one of my favourite characters to being the one I hope is in that damn tombstone. And the way they made so he can continue to pile on and not dial back his anti-Oliver feelings really pissed me the hell off. I am just tired of him.

All in all, not the worst but all the set-uppy stuff was bogging down the flow and the villain was trying really hard to be the gleeful evil type. Their lack of subtlety in story-telling and their love of shortcuts in emotional as well as character development continue to be a problem.

PS: How easy and non-obtrusive Olicity is really makes me want to punch the writers in the balls, or boobs (I don't discriminate in my dissatisfaction), for the misery crap storm that was last season when it comes to the couple. I hope they stay away from the temptation of complicating it through disingenuous internal drama. Oh well, hopefully water under the bridge. Cross the fingers.

Edited by fantique
  • Love 20

The whole Laurel and Thea situation is unsettling.

I'm not rage-y about it all. I'm genuinely disturbed.

I didn't feel any concern for Thea after Laurel found out about the pit. From that moment on, it felt like manipulation. If Laurel cared so much about Thea she could have gone to Oliver and brought up taking her back to Nanda for help. She could have mentioned Nyssa. She didn't because she knew they would stop her from bringing Sara. Which means it's not about Thea, it's about Sara or really herself.

Which to me is the way Laurel has always been.

This is just an extension of her making everything about her. I could actually have some sympathy for her if she was offering to exchange her life for Sara's. It would still be a shitty thing to do, because then Sara would feel guilty, but at least she'd be making a sacrifice of some kind. 

But right now, I don't think that is what she is planning at all.

• Love 2

No one in Nanda Parbat knows how to fix Sara or Thea, that's why they have to bring Constantine in. How would Laurel even know that the LOA ever brought someone back from being dead for a year? Thea was near death which is completely different.

I'm happy Sara's back but they really went about this dumbest way possible and makes Laurel look like a selfish idiot for playing around with something she knows nothing about. And on top of that adding even more trauma to Sara's million other traumas. 

• Love 9

Okay, my final thoughts for the episode and then I'm off, you beautiful people:

I think the writers have done Laurel and Thea a serious disservice here. They should have stretched this reveal out over two episodes and moved from there, BUT:

One of Laurel's defining flaws is that no matter how smart she may be, she does not think things through. Like, ever. So right now, she's heard about something that can bring her sister back and she may be able to find a way to negate the crazy that's inside Thea and she's thinking, this is great, let's go for it, we'll fix Thea and get my sister back in one fell swoop, awesome.

This whole thing can still be salvaged in the next episode if they: A) For the love of god, have someone sit Laurel down and ask her to walk them through her mindset right now. Talk to her about what she's feeling, get her to explain. B) Ditto for Thea and C) Have someone point out this particular flaw of Laurel's because the point of flaws is learning to grow out of them. Oh, and D) Someone please talk about what Sara would want. Is Sara at peace? Would Sara want to be alive more than anything else? 

• Love 7

You said Oliver did more when he thought Roy needed help.  I have no idea what you are talking about, but there has never been an episode in which Oliver beat up Thea, therefore Thea beating up Oliver is a good bit of a clue that anyone other than Laurel would have caught.

Ok I don't know what you are talking about, but I will try to clarify my position...

In the order of this episode, Oliver says Thea went too far with an opponent and does actual start beating up Thea...

Oliver brings up that Thea used a skill set that was too severe as he attacks her- let's take a moment to point out who she was trained by and the fact that Oliver never really trained her in how to honor his new code and he's broken plenty of bones himself, but yea moving on....

Thea loses her shit and starts fighting back really hard.  Oliver had recently bounced off a car window without a scratch so I am pretty convinced he could have stopped her if he wanted to.  Laurel and Diggle stopped it not because they feared for Oliver's life but they probably thought Thea would get hurt if they let it go on.

So what does Oliver DO after this huge moment when Thea "tries to kill him"?  He takes her back into the field and when he sends two people away to get the woman help, he keeps Thea with him.  And she sets a guy on fire - which I don't think Laurel knows about.

So what does Oliver DO after that? Nothing.  Not a damn thing.  No, Thea you shouldn't be in the field until you get this under control.  No meditation.  No training.  Nothing.

As I recall, when Oliver thought Roy was losing himself to the Marcuru - he tried to help him manage it.  He didn't offer any such help to Thea.  Just "I'm sorry I didn't tell you earlier."

So why I am supposed to believe that Laurel is TOTAL IDIOT for wanting to do to Sara what was done to Thea, when Oliver isn't DOING anything but lecturing and talking to Thea about it?

I want her to get to NP and Nyssa be like 'honey, no.' Tell her, Nyssa, she's not thinking straight!

Well Nyssa is never thinking straight, if you catch my meaning. But she'll still think it's an awful idea.

• Love 9

I think @nksarmi is talking about when Roy was Mirakuru'd. But neither Laurel or Thea were around for that, so it's not like they would have had that to compare it to and say, "Oh, well, it can't be THAT bad." I mean, Laurel didn't even give it time. Not even a day, to talk to Oliver or ANYONE about this. To consider it, for more than a second. Just go ahead, use Thea as an excuse to get you into NP. Sounds great.

ETA: Speaking of time, there hadn't really been enough time for Oliver to bench Thea anyway, but even if he wanted to, guess what, he's not in charge! Thea even said it this episode. So what is he supposed to do? Sorry, but this feels like twisting in knots to excuse Laurel for not noticing her roommate/teammate has been slowly going nutso for the last five months, and then denying what she saw and what Thea's own brother was saying, and then immediately using it to her advantage once she was convinced. How convenient for her.

Yeah, Roy being brought into the discussion came out of the blue for me.  Laurel in particular had absolutely nothing to do with that storyline.  Thea was involved but knew nothing about Roy being benched, and plus this discussion wasn't about Thea's actions, but about Laurel's.  Laurel literally had no involvement in Roy's Mirakuru storyline, and knows nothing about Oliver's reaction to Roy being Mirakuru'd.  So yeah, seems like a weird argument to me.

• Love 3

No one in Nanda Parbat knows how to fix Sara or Thea, that's why they have to bring Constantine in. How would Laurel even know that the LOA ever brought someone back from being dead for a year? Thea was near death which is completely different.

I'm happy Sara's back but they really went about this dumbest way possible and makes Laurel look like a selfish idiot for playing around with something she knows nothing about. And on top of that adding even more trauma to Sara's million other traumas.

All of my hope...ALL OF IT... Lies in John Constantine looking at Laurel and asking what the hell she was thinking. And then telling her she's a selfish asshole.

• Love 15

And Laurel of course does not know any of that. She thinks since they have the lazarus pit that they know how to use it and how to cure it, that's how it came across to me.

• Love 2

What I hate most about Dig's relationship development is that somehow they forgot that FS & Dig were friends in s1&2. I hate that last season Dig was all Team Oliver and forgot about FS. And this year, he's turning to LL and barely acknowledging FS. I just hate that they had a really good relationship that they could utilize on the show and then they threw it away to prop Ray last year, and now it seems like this year it will be sacrificed to prop LL.

Honestly, Dig just disappointed me this episode. I get his anger at OQ. But he is not the same guy he was for 3 seasons. I feel like he has checked out from being the caring guy who looked out for others. The old Dig would have noticed something wrong with TQ. He would have done more than what he did. I also don't like his hypocritical stance on secret keeping.

I hope the Year of Diggle is not like the Year of Felicity last year, where it was primarily Prop Patrol.

• Love 14

I believe DD will probably bring him into the fold. But they weren't lying when they said that Thea/Oliver played a role in birthing Anarky.

Yeah, but didn't they say it would be Oliver's fault with a little bit of Thea? This seems more like 95% Thea and 5%Oliver IMO. Then again, Oliver decided to put Thea in the Pit, and Oliver gets blamed for everything on this show and the spinoff anyway. 

After the attitude the team gave him last week when he temporarily forgot he wasn't in charge after they asked him to come back and help them, does Oliver even have the power to bench a teammate anymore? They'd probably send her out more often just to spite him. 

• Love 11

And Laurel of course does not know any of that. She thinks since they have the lazarus pit that they know how to use it and how to cure it, that's how it came across to me.

I honestly can't wait to see what happens when Nyssa sees what she's done. 

Speaking of which, does she not wonder why Nyssa didn't choose this option when she found out Sara died? 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 11

Okay, my final thoughts for the episode and then I'm off, you beautiful people:

I think the writers have done Laurel and Thea a serious disservice here. They should have stretched this reveal out over two episodes and moved from there, BUT:

One of Laurel's defining flaws is that no matter how smart she may be, she does not think things through. Like, ever. So right now, she's heard about something that can bring her sister back and she may be able to find a way to negate the crazy that's inside Thea and she's thinking, this is great, let's go for it, we'll fix Thea and get my sister back in one fell swoop, awesome.

This whole thing can still be salvaged in the next episode if they: A) For the love of god, have someone sit Laurel down and ask her to walk them through her mindset right now. Talk to her about what she's feeling, get her to explain. B) Ditto for Thea and C) Have someone point out this particular flaw of Laurel's because the point of flaws is learning to grow out of them. Oh, and D) Someone please talk about what Sara would want. Is Sara at peace? Would Sara want to be alive more than anything else? 

You know that would make sense....which means it will totally be skipped over in the episode. 

• Love 2

I'm starting a movement, let's blast twitter... will you join me?

This:

23i86x1.jpg

Or This:

adp2zk.jpg

they could use a bit more work, but Preview only has so much editing options. I thought using the same color Sara was will work, it looks better than white and Black just gets lost in the background.

A little bit too harsh? *insert coy innocent face*

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Love 8

What I hate most about Dig's relationship development is that somehow they forgot that FS & Dig were friends in s1&2. I hate that last season Dig was all Team Oliver and forgot about FS. And this year, he's turning to LL and barely acknowledging FS. I just hate that they had a really good relationship that they could utilize on the show and then they threw it away to prop Ray last year, and now it seems like this year it will be sacrificed to prop LL.

Honestly, Dig just disappointed me this episode. I get his anger at OQ. But he is not the same guy he was for 3 seasons. I feel like he has checked out from being the caring guy who looked out for others. The old Dig would have noticed something wrong with TQ. He would have done more than what he did. I also don't like his hypocritical stance on secret keeping.

I hope the Year of Diggle is not like the Year of Felicity last year, where it was primarily Prop Patrol.

Laurel is to Diggle what Ray was to Felicity.

• Love 4

I'm starting a movement, let's blast twitter... will you join me?

This:

23i86x1.jpg

Or This:

adp2zk.jpg

they could use a bit more work, but Preview only has so much editing options. I thought using the same color Sara was will work, it looks better than white and Black just gets lost in the background.

I vote for the first one
  • Love 3

I still contend that Laurel is a manipulative, selfish lair!

1. She told Thea that she wanted to take her to Nanda Poorbutt because the LoA would know how to help her. LL, you're a liar! Thea's father is in control of the LP and knew enough about it to warn Oliver not to use it on Thea. MM/New RaG would have already tried to help Thea if he could, right? They have a complicated relationship, but the writers have tried to convince us of his love for Thea. He knew months ago that it would affect her, and I'm sure he would try to use any LoA knowledge he's privy to, as you know, the leader.

2. She told Thea they were going to a spa, and listened to Thea's anxiety about going near a hot tub, because you know, the LP is what screwed her up in the first place. She didn't come clean until Thea's brother was no longer around to protect her. Thea even asked her why they weren't telling Ollie, who had just left! LL is a manipulative, sneaky, lying bitch! She isolated a clearly vulnerable girl so that she wouldn't have the support to refuse her.

I have never liked LL. Selfishness has been her defining characteristic. She is not capable of being a partner or teammate. I hope the writers are putting us through this so we can witness Laurel being an agent in the LP being off limits in the future so that she is the reason her death in 6 months will remain permanent. Karma, bitch!

• Love 14

Speaking of which, does she not wonder why Nyssa didn't choose this option when she found out Sara died? 

Honestly, I thought MM was going to do it to get Nyssa under control - I mean, that's what would have made sense to me and I believe he would do it even though he cautioned against it for Thea.  But whatever, I still don't think Laurel is the worst ever for this (not yet anyway- they can easily sink my good will next episode).

I need to rewatch, but there was a moment when Oliver was worrying about Thea in this episode that I for sure thought he was thinking about calling Malcolm for help. But then obviously it didn't go anywhere, because they needed Oliver to do nothing so that Laurel could be the one to "help" Thea.

• Love 1

I'm thinking it's going to be a wig to keep up the ruse that he was marooned the whole time. 

And now I'm laughing at the idea of Amanda Waller keeping a Wig and Beard salon in the ARGUS hideout for all your secret identity needs.

Re why would anyone vote for Oliver as mayor:

Remember, no one else is willing to run for the position, Jessica said there would need to be an election for form's sake but she' was running unopposed. So it would be either Oliver or no mayor at all.

Roy was on mirakuru and dangerous and out of his mind all the time.  Thea is different, most of the time she's normal and then suddenly she's fighting and loses control.  Oliver could try to bench her but like Laurel, she would just go out and do it on her own.  She's safer doing ti under Oliver's supervision and that's what he tried to show her in their fight, how to achieve the same results without breaking the other guy's arm..

As InsertWordHere said, could Oliver even bench Thea at this point?

I disagree that Oliver ever tried to beat up Thea. He tried to show her a technique and then Thea lost it and started wailing on him. He tried to defend himself without hurting her and Laurel and Diggle had to pull her off him.

Laurel didn't see it unless she was watching TV or at Verdant when Roy showed up and tried to kill Thea.  But Thea certainly got up close with Roy's mirakuru madness, both when he was on it and later when he was telling her how bad he felt for killing the cop. And Diggle certainly knows what it was like with Roy.

The only explanation I have is that Thea was okay through the five months Oliver was gone but lately things have got much, maybe because of the adrenalin of fighting the Ghosts.  Otherwise I can't understand why Diggle and Laurel didn't catch it.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 5

That's the problem, right? Laurel doesn't think.

Like, if she stopped to think about it for a second, she should've wondered why, if Oliver knew about the Lazarus Pits, he didn't dig up Sara, Moira, Tommy, and his Dad and bring them back like he did with Thea. Did she think Oliver didn't love them enough to resurrect them? 

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 9

Diggle had noticed something was up with Thea though. Not as much as Oliver did but he did acknowledge in 401 that she had more aggression. It's nothing to shout about but at least he did notice something. Anything, even.

• Love 3

But it isn't like he is going out of his way to open up to Laurel. He didn't want to keep up the conversation until Laurel kept pushing and trying to get him to open up. It isn't a constant thing and he should be able to open up to more then just Felicity and Oliver. Yes they need to give F/D some scenes together, some genuine catching up scenes but the writers are very narrow minded. Hopefully it will improve in the future but right now the writers seem to only have Felcity be in scenes with the whole team, with Oliver and with Mr.T. But hey, they get a whole episode it seems to themselves so who knows?

Honestly, I thought MM was going to do it to get Nyssa under control - I mean, that's what would have made sense to me and I believe he would do it even though he cautioned against it for Thea.  But whatever, I still don't think Laurel is the worst ever for this (not yet anyway- they can easily sink my good will next episode).

I don't think she's the worst ever, I just think she's acting like a selfish moron, but I'm sure it'll work out all right for her in the end. It always seems to. 

• Love 3

It isn't as if Quentin forgave Laurel in 1 minute, he has been pissed at her for months and their relationship isn't 100%, just as Laurel had to face consequences for her being a drunk and having everyone quit on her and her having to deal with Tommys death because she wanted to get her clients papers from CNRY.

I don't think she's the worst ever, I just think she's acting like a selfish moron, but I'm sure it'll work out all right for her in the end. It always seems to. 

Yep. No consequences for Laurel! Or maybe they'll surprise me. Who knows? Doubtful though.

• Love 4

It isn't as if Quentin forgave Laurel in 1 minute, he has been pissed at her for months and their relationship isn't 100%, just as Laurel had to face consequences for her being a drunk and having everyone quit on her and her having to deal with Tommys death because she wanted to get her clients papers from CNRY.

Where exactly did I say that she never faced any consequences? I wrote that things seem to work out okay for her, and they do. She got her job back, she's handling her alcoholism, her father is back on speaking terms with her, and got into bed with a psycho to keep her from harm. Whatever happens with this, I'm sure it'll work out as well. 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 3

I wish they could have spread out the Laurel arc out as well. I think the major, major problem is that it was rushed, due to everything packed in the episode already, so the writing was incredibly shoddy.

Here's what I wish could have happened, but we all know it won't: Laurel hears about the LP and thinks about her sister and what if she could bring her back. For me, this wasn't the problem because, as we've seen with Barry, family (especially on TV) will do anything for their family. This is especially true if they have the power to fix things. You give someone the power, or at least the possibility, to do something and it won't be that difficult of a choice. 

Then, we should have had Laurel asking more questions about the Pit to Diggle or Oliver. Ask about Thea, but ask about the Pit and get the whole story. Have her ponder, maybe do a small time jump a couple of days forward. Have that ending scene be a few days later (basically have that first part, but cut off Laurel coming in for another scene). Then have her be packing a bag and telling Thea they're going to go away to Nanda Parbat to figure the LP out and to save Sara. End of this episode. (But I KNOW they would have had no time for all of this....so at least cut that stupid coffin scene).

Then, next episode, have Thea thinking Laurel's crazy and trying to lay out the reasons why it is a bad idea. Then have Laurel explain herself and her reasoning. Maybe bring up the fact that she knows it's a huge risk and she's been thinking about the consequences, but also let her tell Thea that she has to at least try to see if it's a possibility, and she also wants to help Thea because she feels guilty about not noticing her growing aggression. Cut to Thea struggling with going through with it but ultimately agreeing because Laurel's going to go anyway and both Thea and Laurel want answers to her resurrection. Cut to a plane scene, more talking about Sara's death and how it's affected them both (because hey, if we have to have female moments, I'm ok with it being with Laurel/Thea... AS LONG AS IT'S WRITTEN WELL, which this isn't The Flash so it's possible). Then, in Nanda Parbat, have Laurel reluctant to believe Malcolm, because why should any of them believe this guy? Nyssa comes in, verifies whatever she needs to verify but have them both tell Laurel it's a stupid idea to resurrect Sara. But, of course, we know Malcolm will have a Plan B

with Constantine coming in to help with Sara's resurrection

and then have another scene of Laurel/Thea/Nyssa discussing Sara's resurrection, as well as Thea's side effects. But then at the end of the third episode, have Laurel finally decide to do it due to the risk being far less than what we expect. Then boom, episode four can have the preparation of Sara coming back and Thea getting more answers about her LP, instead of having it all rushed. And maybe, JUST MAYBE, Laurel will give a heads up to her dad so he doesn't have a heart attack when Sara comes back to either reunite with her family, or slaughter Star City.

Personally I would rather Laurel choose to resurrect Sara only if they can get Thea on the mend.

But we all know none of that's going to happen, because first of all, too many female moments without men. And second of all, Laurel's very reckless so she wouldn't think any of this out.

• Love 5

I would forgive Laurel everything if when she shows up in NP with Sara's desiccated body, all of the LOA back away slowly, and some random LOA points to MM and says, you deal with this crazy lady. 

Maybe if she knew anything about the Lazarus Pit, I could understand. But she just heard about Thea coming back, knows she's crazypants, and still decides on this course of action, in, what, 5 hours? Nope. Do not pass go or collect $200. Even Moira Fucking Queen did her research.

• Love 11

I agree these things I had issue with needed time to breathe and build. Laurel should have talked with Thea about it, how she really felt after being in the pit. So many things could have improved this. But they rush everything on this show. It's Arrow.

• Love 2

Yea the character who really has NO consequences for his actions (or blame) is MM. Laurel is just whiny about it so she is less likable. 

And yet even MM knows better than to dig up his long dead loved ones and put them in the Lazarus Pit.

• Love 17

Which fight?  He got his ass kicked all over the place.  It makes NO SENSE.

I may be approaching dtissagirl levels of "this show is so dumb I will just point and laugh and not be mad" chill.

ehh I think it is far more likely that he was holding back.

Also. Sorry. Even with embalming fluid. Sara would be in way worse shape. I know it's the CW but I study forensics and that's bothering me.

Fanwank it honey, just... let it be, or you end up yelling at the screen because he left the damn Souffles on top of the counter!! with whipped cream on top!!! just.. NO!

I have since fanwanked that it had to have been a molten chocolate cake.. just.. yea.

But hey, I love that behind the "do something in the light" aww shucks motivation for Oliver to want to run for Mayor, there's also the fact that it's a high risk to be assassinated position, and that's like, Wednesday for Oliver. Well done on layering narrative hooks, show.

I agree. It was a good set up for why he decides to run for mayor. Also the city is so desperate they will vote for just about anyone.

Customs: But Ma'am, you're departing from America

Laurel: *Sweats nervously*

But Felicity is CEO... It's hers to take over?

No question mark required, I do believe Oliver also mentioned she "inherited" the company. I think it is safe to assume she's not only CEO she's also the owner, or part owner.

...plus...Laurel now reminds me of Barry. Oh god, risking lives and consequences be damned to save a family member who's been dead for far too long. My god. 

Please do not compare Barry to Laurel.. Barry is not always right but he does not deserves to be compared to Laurel.

• Love 5

Last season, I probably would have been fuming about the Laurel ridiculousness.  Now, I just laugh and laugh...and laugh!  I'm not sure if the writers hate her, or if they think we'll be all yay, thank you Laurel, for bringing Sara back or what.  I really have no idea why they write her like this, but I've reached the point where it just entertains me.

Just loved Oliver getting the blame for setting that dude on fire.  Obviously he's not going to say that his sister did it, but I'm so very sick of him accepting responsibility for everyone else's fuck-ups.

• Love 17