Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: It's a Show About Nothing

...Other random opinions as I desperately procrastinate dealing with non-TV life :) : 

Back when I first saw the show, I remember thinking Elaine wasn't all that distinctive a character and just sort of the group's token female, but now I absolutely LOVE her---she's the most relatable and normal in some ways yet also amusingly flawed and odd. She's the smartest and most insightful and aware member of the group (granted, that's a relatively low bar!), and I love how in later seasons we see a sort of "what if..." wistfulness from her even as she falls back into the craziness that she's all too used to by now. And I'm very Elaine-ish in how I get way too reactive and passionate about things to the point where I'm pretty sure I, too, have accidentally pushed someone too hard while exclaiming something similar to "Get OUT!" Plus, she's the only member of the group who loves books, which is always an automatic plus for me :)   

I'm so surprised by how much I loved the later seasons. I'm pretty sure S7, S8 and S6 (in that order) are my three favorite seasons of the entire show. 

I didn't like Susan per se, but I realized that I did like how the character affected George and the overall show. It was a nice change to see one of the characters dealing with an ongoing (and typically dysfunctional, of course!)  relationship as opposed to everyone doing the different-significant-other-every-week thing. 

Who would you guys say were your favorite characters (major and minor!)?! I adored Elaine, George, George's parents, Lloyd Braun, Jack Klompus and Jackie Chiles. Oh, and the 'bizarro' versions of Jerry, George and Kramer :) 

Edited by amensisterfriend
  • Love 6

Plus, she's the only member of the group who loves books, which is always an automatic plus for me :)

In the beginning, when the characterization of George was quite different, he did, too. 

• Love 3

Who would you guys say were your favorite characters (major and minor!)?! I adored Elaine, George, George's parents, Lloyd Braun, Jack Klompus and Jackie Chiles. Oh, and the 'bizarro' versions of Jerry, George and Kramer :) 

Oh my gosh, there are so many. Hubby and I have often discussed how much we love the minor characters. The first that come to mind for me are Puddy, J. Peterman and Frank Costanza.

• Love 3

Loved the bizarro versions of Jerry, George and Kramer. Jack Klompus and Uncle Leo were always a plus to an episode. I'm not sure how to classify Newman (is he somewhere in between major and minor?) but the exchanges between him and Jerry were always funny. The time Jerry's mother said hello to Newman just the way Jerry does really makes you wonder what their problem was - I'm glad we never really found out.

I also enjoyed how George was portrayed as the series went on (a stocky, slow witted bald man) as opposed to a Woody Allen type like in the first few episodes. Long term there were probably fewer or less funny episode potential.

Edited by Cobb Salad
  • Love 4

Some of my favorites are from Season 9 as well - The Serenity Now, The Junk Mail, The Slicer and The Burning. While I wasn't a fan of the final episode at first I now see what happened as the what made the most sense to end a series about people who behaved the way they did.

• Love 3

I think season 7 is great. I like J Peterman alot, much more than Elaine's last boss.

Soup nazi. George's worlds colliding. Spongeworthy. And Kramer on the AIDS walk with everyone going after him for not wearing the ribbon.

Good string of eps. I'm doing a rewatch.

• Love 4
(edited)
On 10/2/2015 at 11:24 AM, amensisterfriend said:

Back when I first saw the show, I remember thinking Elaine wasn't all that distinctive a character and just sort of the group's token female, but now I absolutely LOVE her---she's the most relatable and normal in some ways yet also amusingly flawed and odd. She's the smartest and most insightful and aware member of the group (granted, that's a relatively low bar!), and I love how in later seasons we see a sort of "what if..." wistfulness from her even as she falls back into the craziness that she's all too used to by now. And I'm very Elaine-ish in how I get way too reactive and passionate about things to the point where I'm pretty sure I, too, have accidentally pushed someone too hard while exclaiming something similar to "Get OUT!" Plus, she's the only member of the group who loves books, which is always an automatic plus for me :)

The reason she was so generic was that comedy writers did not write well for females (by their own admissions).  If a female was not the main love interest they had no idea what to do with her.  It like it never occurred to them that women were just human beings with our own unique strengths and flaws.

I give the show credit for bringing this up in the meta episodes where Jerry and George are doing a sitcom for NBC.

How the tables have turned.  Julia Louis is now a big star with at least two hit shows under her belt and Michael Richards is that guy who used to play Kramer.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 2
(edited)

I wonder if I'm the only person who loved the finale.  If you've only seen it in reruns, you're missing out on all the minor characters, sitting on their couches watching the trial on TV, & absolutely loving the drubbing Jerry, George, Elaine & Kramer were getting.   I thought it was a clever way of reminding everyone of all the weird characters the foursome dealt with over the years. 

As far as writing for a female character, didn't they have Elaine Boosler on their writing staff at one time?  Wasn't she the person Elaine Benes was based on?

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

As far as writing for a female character, didn't they have Elaine Boosler on their writing staff at one time?  Wasn't she the person Elaine Benes was based on?

I don't see any writing credits for Elayne Boosler for Seinfeld, but that doesn't mean the character wasn't based on her to some degree. Carol Leifer was the show's female writer. 

• Love 2

I know the finale was a very polarizing episode. What kind of sucks for me is I actually liked it when I first saw it but then I read people's reasons for not liking it and, incidentally, they swayed me that now I skip the finale if I see it's on. But my viewing experience was also different because I didn't get into the show till after it ended so, when I first saw the finale, I hadn't seen a lot of the episodes they showed clips from, so I became a lot more interested in seeing those episodes. But I wonder if that was the only reason I ever liked the finale to begin with because now that I have seen the show, I skip the other clip show episodes too - I'd rather just rewatch the episodes themselves.

Has anyone noticed in the final ep of season 3 "The keys" when Kramer is in California and they show the roller skating clip. He has skinned knees! Do you think Michael Richards fell down a few times during takes of the skating? I cannot figure it our or find an answer but what are the odds of him having 2 skinned almost bloody knees in this scene.

• Love 1

My husband participated in a baseball fantasy camp this past week (I tagged along for part), and Joe Pepitone was one of the former MLB players in attendance.  I remember Kramer mentioning Pepitone during his spiel about Central Park when he was giving the carriage rides, but I'd forgotten that Pepitone is mentioned in several other episodes as summarized here.   I love this one:

He was mentioned in the 1993 Seinfeld episode titled "The Visa". In the episode, Cosmo Kramer reluctantly describes his experience at a recent baseball fantasy camp, wherein Pepitone was crowding home plate while Kramer was pitching, leading to Kramer's beanball that resulted in a subsequent camp-ending brawl, in which Kramer punched Mickey Mantle.

• Love 2
On 1/28/2018 at 12:49 PM, annzeepark914 said:

I loved that episode.  When Jerry tells George that Kramer's at a baseball fantasy camp, George responds, "His whole life is a fantasy".  I always love that line.

I love it so much, I had to look up the whole quote! "Kramer goes to a fantasy camp. His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down two-thousand dollars to live like him for a week. Do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors, and have sex without dating. That's a fantasy camp!"

• Love 7

They hardly show re-runs around here any more.  It's all Big Bang Theory, Family Man...shows I never really thought much of.  It's funny, though, whenever something about Seinfeld is in the news (e.g., Julia will receive the Mark Twain award this year), if you go to the comments section, a lot of people are posting those famous Seinfeldian lines.