Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: It's a Show About Nothing

This is one of my favorite shows, and one of the few long-running series I enjoyed the entire way through.  I have the complete series on DVD, yet still often watch episodes in syndication. 

I understand that it just became too much work to write them on top of everything else, but I miss seeing little snippets of Jerry's stand-up at the beginning, middle and end of the show. It was a nice way to work in bits that didn't lend themselves to plots.

• Love 1

The DVD box set has some good background on why his standup routine was included in the shows.  They (Larry and Jerry) thought the show would be about a comedian getting material for his act.  I recall that the original pilot was called "Stand-Up," not "The Seinfeld Chronicles."

I loved it when it was new, and I have continued to enjoy it in syndication throughout the years. I keep waiting for it to get old for me, and it just doesn't.

• Love 1

This show never ever gets old, it is amazing how many times I can watch Elaine grab George's toupee off his head and scream in her maniacal way " I hate this thing, and this is what I'm doing with it!" Out the window. And so many others come to mind. Fishing for the marble rye.... 

• Love 1

I've been doing a very slow rewatch, alternating a season of seinfeld with a couple seasons of other shows (NewsRadio!) but with Seinfeld I'm currently on Season 3 and really enjoying it. I watch almost an episode a day and don't get tired of it. My favourite so far this season is the one about the library book. The whole ep just flows great, Bookman is hysterical, the weaving with the high school story works well.

• Love 2

Philip Baker Hall as the Library Cop . . . it doesn't get any better than that. I count his big speech--where he calls Jerry "joy boy" and rants about people drawing pee-pees and wee-wees on the Cat in the Hat--as one of the great moments in television history. 

• Love 4

Out the window. And so many others come to mind. Fishing for the marble rye....

Love Jerry's comment about the hook being more appropriate for a muffin. This show never gets old for me either.

In "The Glasses" both times Jerry accuses his girlfriend of going out with his cousin Jeffrey and she denies it, the way he says "want to go get some pizza?" Always makes me laugh.

In "The Bizarro Jerry" when Elaine is leaving to go with her new anti-friends and George wants to come along, the way Elaine says "sorry, we already have a George" is pretty funny.

• Love 1

The show is also nationally syndicated on TBS, 3 shows a night.  My only complaint about their run is that they go by production code, rather than airdates.  So some shows appear a little bass-ackwards because one show may have gone through final editing before another.  It also shortens the show run by a lot--airing 15 episodes a week means you can burn through a season in less than 10 days.

Omg I love this show in an unhealthy fashion.

"The Comeback" was just on which is the one we, here at the house, affectionately call, "Jerk Store."

"The zoo called, you're due back at 6."

"Your cranium called, there's space for rent."

There is a fun subplot of Elaine and the young, jealous, "Vincent" at the video store. Ah, nostalgia. Remember those?

• Love 2

At work I'm hosting a conference called "Thriving Together." The design department just came back with graphics for a brochure saying "Thriving Together!"

I immediately hear Elaine's voice in my head saying "It's not 'Top of the Muffin...TO YOU!"

Those damn exclamation points!!!

• Love 2

I read an interview of Jason in which he mentioned sitting around the table, reading the next show's script.  He found something totally unbelievable and said, "This doesn't happen in real life" and Larry David looked at him and said "It happened to me".  I believe it!  When I'm watching some of the shows, I wonder if one of the outrageous, incredible events in the episode truly happened to LD. 

• Love 1

To commemorate the 25th anniversary of "The Seinfeld Chronicles," the Brooklyn Comets baseball team (NY Mets class A farm team) will have a "Seinfeld Night" at their stadium July 5th, 2014.  Attractions to include:

--Stadium renamed Vandelay Industries Park

--first 2,500 through the gate receive a free Keith Hernandez "Magic Loogie" bobblehead

--thow out the ceremonial first pitch for anyone dressed as a mailman

--live Risk game and "airing of grievances" table in the stands

Tickets on sale May 10th... http://www.brooklyncyclones.com/news/?article_id=1758

Portia - that link is not going to the correct place, it's redirecting to this page. I can edit it for you if you have any trouble.

I've browsed through Modern Seinfeld in the past. I've also been mentally rewriting episodes to use current technology. For example the episode where George and Jerry pitch the show to NBC. Later in the coffee shop Jerry wants to call Kramer to warn him about Joe Davola and George wants to call Susan. They race to get to the payphone. Today there would have to be some kind of impediment like one of them doesn't have a signal or the battery is dead and steals the other's phone. 

It's a fun game!

• Love 1

An astute observation, yeswedo.  I even remember the clunky cell phone Elaine had in the final season (is it OK to cancel over the phone) and the laptop she had--with no power cord or hint of a wifi connection.

In the "reunion" show that aired on Curb, there were many more modern references:  George had invented an app called the iToilet--where to find a clean bathroom anywhere.  George has a skinny wallet, Jerry's apartment had a stainless steel refrigerator, Newman has a bit of a "flavor-saver" goatee, and Jerry also had a little bit about people who talk and read their phones at the same time.

• Love 1

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

Just bought the Complete Series DVD box set, already binge-watched the first two seasons.

I've always caught re-runs on tv (and I think I may have seen all the episodes), but it's always nice to watch them in order.  Only 7 more seasons to go! :D

And I absolutely love JLD.  I think she's an amazing actress.  It's been really nice to watch her grow from Seinfeld, to Old Adventures of New Christine, and now to Veep.

I resigned from my job today, and while making this decision, I've heard a lot of classic Seinfeld quotes in my head. I love the running joke of Jerry calling George "Biff" from Death of a Salesman. It's a pretty sophisticated joke for a "Must See TV" sitcom.

Elaine (and me, this afternoon): I can't take it anymore. I'm marchin' in!

Jerry: Hey George, Elaine's quitting her job.

George: Oh, yeah?

Elaine: Yep! I'm marchin' in.

George: I've done the march-in! Best feeling in the world.

Jerry: And the marching out?

George: Not so great. That's when you realize how much money you're about to lose.

Elaine: All right, I'm off.

Jerry: Get marching! Get your march going!

Hee. 

I also love George getting more and more desperate as he speculates about what jobs he could have, and Jerry gently coaching him through.

George: I could be a baseball commentator! You know I'm always making those good comments during the games.

Jerry: True. You do make good comments, but I think they usually give those jobs to ex-ballplayers or people who are, y'know, in broadcasting.

George: Oh. Well, that's really not fair.

Oh, George, I feel ya.

Elaine (and hopefully not me at some point in the near future): Can't you see, I've become George! I'm George!!!

• Love 2

It's awfully hot for a giant block of cheese, but hey, that's the dream! :)

Maybe I'll even read a book, from beginning to end, in that order!

I always loved the "Time of Your Life" clip montage (I'll even admit to getting a bit misty every time I see it.  I'm just that pathetic.).  But one thing that always bugged me: couldn't they have included at least a couple more behind-the-scenes shots of Larry David?  He was half the brains (at least) behind the success of Seinfeld, and therefore I thank him for some great times of my life.  So - one single half-second shot?  Really?  Maybe, to make room, cut out the shot of Newman pulling a fork out of his butt (one of the low-points in my opinion - "it's funny because he's FAT and loves to EAT!!!"  Please, just stop.)?

• Love 1

I love this show and have watched every episode many times. The only one I can't stand is the one where Elaine is being difficult because she wouldn't wear a hospital gown. So a doctor would be able to contact every doctor and vet in the state of NY and tell them to refuse medical care to Elaine? It was just beyond stupid. But that's the only one I actually hate.

• Love 2

There are a few episodes I won't watch because I don't find them funny.  One is the Parking Garage.  Another is the one where George gets handcuffed to a hotel bed by a hooker (or whatever that woman is..the one he picked up on the subway).  And the street parking spot dispute...altho' I like that character actor who's fighting with George over the spot.

• Love 1

Watching the Hamptons episode, never understood where the first "baby" who would have been a toddler disappeared to since Elaine mentioned that the first baby was 2 years ago. Guess he didn't go on the vacation.  "Do women know about shrinkage?"

I noticed that all the guest roles on the show who are writers were portrayed as very unpleasant/borderline-psychotic.  Consider:

Yuri Testikov

Elaine's dad

Rava

O'Brien

Jake Jarmel (sp?) - he was OK at first but then he got really paranoid about having unique eyeglass frames

I wonder if this was just a coincidence, or whether the Seinfeld writers who were "just" working on a sitcom had some underlying professional jealousy of "real" writers?

• Love 2

I don't know why, but out of the blue I started thinking about this again last night and George was totally right about the Big Salad. Where does Julie get off claiming responsibility and accepting the thank you under false pretenses? She had nothing to do with the Big Salad!

• Love 2

fishcakes, IMO there were plenty of times that I thought the "core four" were right. To name a few:

The Drake.  Yes, it was supposed to make them appear to be their asshole selves when they called the Drake's fiancée selfish for donating the engagement gifts to charity, but honestly I'd be pissed too; the engagement was off, she should have returned the gifts.

The woman in the wheelchair.  Kramer bought her the best wheelchair he was able to afford in good faith; there didn't appear to be anything wrong with it and he certainly didn't purposely purchase a defective one.

Mr. Pitt.  Elaine did NOT try to smother him with a pillow, and Jerry did NOT try to drug him!

Miss Rhode Island.  George and Jerry did NOT sabotage her Miss America aspirations!

• Love 3

And it wasn't Jerry's fault that Babu Batt lost his restaurant. He didn't have any customers before Jerry suggested he changed it to Pakistani. It also wasn't Jerry's fault Babu's immigration papers were sent to him by mistake.

And it wasn't Jerry's fault that Babu Batt lost his restaurant. He didn't have any customers before Jerry suggested he changed it to Pakistani. It also wasn't Jerry's fault Babu's immigration papers were sent to him by mistake.

True. But it was Jerry and George's fault that Babu got deported. If they hadn't played that silliness with the lawyer trying to make her think that Jerry was dark and disturbed so she would think George is funny. She would've continued to help Babu's immigration situations and he likely wouldn't have got deported. But then they did and we all know what happened after that. SMH. LOL.

I watched the "The Seinfeld Chronicles" yesterday on TBS and it's remarkable that this show ever made it past the pilot episode. This is my favorite sitcom of all time, but I try to avoid the first episode because it's so awkward and not especially funny. Even Jerry's stand-up stuff doesn't warrant a giggle. I think some of the funniest episodes aired toward the end of the show's run -- "The Fatigues," "The Merv Griffin Show," "The Strike," and "The Comeback" are among my personal favorites.

I watched the "The Seinfeld Chronicles" yesterday on TBS and it's remarkable that this show ever made it past the pilot episode.

Maybe Larry David negotiated the price down and the exec just wanted to get rid of him so he and his date could have dinner?

I love the running joke of Jerry calling George "Biff" from Death of a Salesman. It's a pretty sophisticated joke for a "Must See TV" sitcom.

I'm doing the Official Seinfeld Hulu Rewatch, and can I tell you--I never noticed this joke before (or possibly as a teenager I didn't know what it was referencing) but it really is hilarious. And he must call him that five times in five different episodes, it really was a thing for awhile. Also, the jacket Kramer takes from that guy--they set that up and then pay it off about ten times. I always admired how Seinfeld could knit three or four plotlines together (they did this better than almost any other show) and these continuing jokes just reinforce how narratively advanced it was.

• Love 1

I read an interview of Jason in which he mentioned sitting around the table, reading the next show's script.  He found something totally unbelievable and said, "This doesn't happen in real life" and Larry David looked at him and said "It happened to me".  I believe it!  When I'm watching some of the shows, I wonder if one of the outrageous, incredible events in the episode truly happened to LD. 

Alexander tells this story in  "Seinfeld: How It Began," which you can find on youtube.   This revelation caused him to realize that George essentially was Larry, so at that point, Alexander stopped playing George as a tepid version of Woody Allen.

• Love 1

Alexander tells this story in  "Seinfeld: How It Began," which you can find on youtube.   This revelation caused him to realize that George essentially was Larry, so at that point, Alexander stopped playing George as a tepid version of Woody Allen.

Thanks for this info'.  I knew George was supposed to be LD but didn't realize JA's knowledge (of Larry's bizarro life experiences) was what brought about the change in his portrayal of George.  When I saw LD on David Steinberg's show and heard him talk about his stand up days (& how the audience treated him) and what life was like for him living in Manhattan, I had to laugh because some of it sounded like me and my reactions/attitudes a few decades ago.  But I don't think Jason ever played George as huffy as Larry David says he was back in the day.  Thanks too for the link!

Just found a clip in the George Costanza thread about this as well.  In that, he says that he can't remember which episode caused this revelation, but he's pretty sure it was in the first 8. I'm wondering if it was The Busboy, which was the 3rd episode of S2, and 7th episode overall. 

George tries to apologize to a busboy after one of his comments got him fired, but he only makes things worse. Elaine tries to get one of her male friends out of her house.

Guess I'll have to watch and see it I can pick up on a change in how Jason portrayed George around that time.  (FWIW, The Busboy is not one of my favorites.)

I've been re-watching the series on DVD, this time with the "Notes About Nothing" enabled, and it wasn't all that long ago that I refreshed my memory on when Jason Alexander realized George was a stand-in for Larry David, yet I've already forgotten.

I do recall it was with Elaine's description of George to Cynthia (when Jerry and Elaine fixed the two of them up) that Alexander realized his physical traits had become as fair game as David's mentality/experiences when writing George.

Seasons 4 and 7 have episodes I'd recommend, each of these seasons have an on-off story arc that conclude at the end of the season - 4 with the Pilot and 7 with George's engagement to Susan. Other favorites are season 5's The Opposite, The Pie, Season 6's The Switch and Season 8's The Bizarro Jerry.

Dislikes include The Statue (Season 2), The Bris and The Barber (Season 5)

• Love 1

I agree with Jason Alexander that it's almost two different series, with the first several seasons revolving around things that could happen to just about anyone (or at least Larry David) and then later seasons going bigger and less realistic.  I like both, but you may find yourself drawn more to one or the other.

• Love 2