Type keyword(s) to search

The Current Season Of America's Next Top Model Will Be Its Last

Let it die, lol.  There are too many foreign NTM versions around to not be able to find something to entertain you.

But the foreign versions aren't on the same crap level as the American version.

Oh well. There's always Project Runway until that gets canceled.  Lol.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 1

I feel like you are all missing something really important here. With ANTM gone, who is going to shamelessly plug OPPO phones fourteen times an hour?

Oppo stock probably crashed.  Is that even a real company?  Or is this another Tyzri Scheme (Tyra + Ponzi Scheme)?  I've never seen an OPPO phone in my life, is this a thing you can only get from certain carriers?  Since all they do is take selfies with that damn thing it should come with a built in selfie stick.

One of the reasons that Tyra frankly lies and adheres to the " I am a Harvard business school graduate" is the hope that The Lie eventually will wend its way into her OFFICIAL biography.

She hopes that, over time, the constant lying and erroneous information becomes so entangled with The Truth that laziness will prohibit discerning accurate information . And, voila! Tyra IS a Harvard business school graduate.

~

Edited by BookElitist
  • Love 3

I couldn't even be bothered to comment on this last episode (where Dustin got brought back only to leave again) so to hear that this is the final season...yeah, I'm ready for the goodbye toast/twerk/runway walk/whatever.

I wasn't a huge fan of the team-competition format of The Face, but it felt more real than most of these last ANTM cycles. Also, I liked the foreign versions of NTM (specifically Britain's). If someone were to take over ANTM from Tyra and Co. and maybe turn the clock back so that it resembled the first few cycles, I might consider watching.

Only thing about long-running reality shows (I'm thinking of The Real World, which I haven't watched since Chicago, and only then because it was filmed in what used to be one of my favorite neighborhoods before gentrification took over) is that a lot of the "reality" wears off once you get contestants who know (or should know) what they're in for, having watched all the seasons/cycles prior. After a while, watching manufactured drama (contestants getting freaky in bed, the two enemies paired together in a competition, etc.) gets really old.

• Love 4

I know there was another show for this, because I watch all crappy tv shows available, but I'm shocked they never did an Old cycle.  Although for modeling most of their contestants fell into that category.

TVLand did it several years ago. The show was called She's Got The Look. I don't remember much about it other than Beverly Johnson was a judge.

• Love 3

I'd like to see what Elyse Sewell could do to fill the niche!  How to keep your sanity while getting paid poorly and erratically as a working model in Hong Kong, Seoul, Santiago de Chile, Turin, etc., while entertaining yourself by embracing and/or observing the cultures and bizarre foods and mangled English language signage you encounter, and how to get along with your very young model roommates from Slovenia or wherever, in your tiny little apartment, or as Elyse would say, hovel. How to poke fun at the ludicrous work you did today but be asked back again anyway. Call it, Modeling: The Real World. (but don't cast people for their propensity to hook up for camera time - more like the original Real World seasons, where people who actually had a reason for being in NY, LA, SF, London or whatnot tried their hand at actually making a go of it, sometimes failed and sometimes flailed). Elyse could be their mentor and advisor a la Tim Gunn (well, Tim Gunn at his ideal typical best, that is), while periodically reminding them that modeling isn't exactly coal mining, no matter what Tyra Banks might say, but instead just requires genetic luck and maybe a certain amount of entrepreneurial pluck when your agency isn't getting you anything more than the occasional gig for the South Korean equivalent of the Home Shopping Network, rather than any particularly rare set of skills beyond ability to put up with fashion people and follow directions. 

Edited by akr
  • Love 3

I couldn't even be bothered to comment on this last episode (where Dustin got brought back only to leave again) so to hear that this is the final season...yeah, I'm ready for the goodbye toast/twerk/runway walk/whatever.

I wasn't a huge fan of the team-competition format of The Face, but it felt more real than most of these last ANTM cycles. Also, I liked the foreign versions of NTM (specifically Britain's). If someone were to take over ANTM from Tyra and Co. and maybe turn the clock back so that it resembled the first few cycles, I might consider watching.

Only thing about long-running reality shows (I'm thinking of The Real World, which I haven't watched since Chicago, and only then because it was filmed in what used to be one of my favorite neighborhoods before gentrification took over) is that a lot of the "reality" wears off once you get contestants who know (or should know) what they're in for, having watched all the seasons/cycles prior. After a while, watching manufactured drama (contestants getting freaky in bed, the two enemies paired together in a competition, etc.) gets really old.

I think thats what struck me about this season.  There were at least 4-5 contestants that I could tell just came into the show trying to work some "reality show formula"  And none of them are good enough actors to really make me believe it.  Bello was one of them.  His drama would come out of nowhere and he was so over the top about it, and would be flipping his hair and carrying on.  The entire feud with Hadassah seemed confused, and it didn't help that she seemed as confused as the audience.  

Mickey/Ashley seemed more like some calculated move on Mickey's part to get more camera time.  And frankly, so did Mame and Justin.  I don't know if someone saw that Mickey and Ashley were getting more camera time for their showmance and so it influenced Mame and Justin.  At some point it seemed like even Lacey was trying to make something happen with Nyle (and I can't blame her, because he is beautiful, but still)

Devin seemed like he was acting out for a TV camera, and it was rewarded because he got to stay even when he had the weakest pictures.  And that entire bitch crew that got together seemed to be mostly for TV.  

And that makes Mickey the biggest asshat to me, because I feel like he was probably nice to Courtney for camera time and was mean to her for camera time too

• Love 2

Since this is the last cycle, I hope Tyra will complete her collection of winners by crowning the first deaf hamster: Nyle. That will make me very happy because Nyle is beautiful, and will be one of the best winners in this train wreck of a show.

Edited by Mattipoo
  • Love 3

I love how the current season is being talked about like it's already over. Too bad they couldn't hold off on the announcement until it WAS actually over. Just goes to show how much this season sucks.

I think Tyra wanted to be first to press so she could put the story out there that it was all her idea to cancel the show....

• Love 1

I think Tyra wanted to be first to press so she could put the story out there that it was all her idea to cancel the show....

Well yeah, but she announced it when she did because the network was going to announce it. I'm just saying it's unfortunate that the announcement couldn't be held off on altogether, because people are already talking about it as if it's ended, but there are still a few weeks left. I realize that can't be helped though since this is the time of year when canceled shows get announced. It was just an observation.

Edited by Oranaiche
  • Love 1

Well yeah but she announced it when she did because the network was going to announce it. I'm just saying it's unfortunate that the announcement couldn't be held off on altogether, because people are already talking about it as if it's ended, but there are still a few weeks left. I realize that can't be helped though since this is the time of year when canceled shows get announced. It was just an observation.

Agree -- it would have been better to hold off until the show was done.

• Love 1

What I'm trying to figure out is how they stretch this season all the way to December 4th. They skipped last week, they're doing a clip show this week . . .and they've still got six weeks after that to stretch out the end somehow. Talk about going out with a whimper. When it's done it'll be like finally saying goodbye to a party guest who just wouldn't go home long after it was clear that it was time.

Edited by akr
  • Love 2

I feel like you are all missing something really important here. With ANTM gone, who is going to shamelessly plug OPPO phones fourteen times an hour?

Hah! Try again. That's only in the past few Cycles. I'm sure Oppo can find some other suckers on some other bargain basement reality show to do this (maybe Ink Master?  I'm trying to think of another show that makes my skin crawl as much as Top Model at it's worst could).

Since this is the last cycle, I hope Tyra will complete her collection of winners by crowning the first deaf hamster: Nyle. That will make me very happy because Nyle is beautiful, and will be one of the best winners in this train wreck of a show.

With the irony that he'd wind up that way being the winner to get the least out of it. No print ads with a "from America's Top Model" flag pasted on, because they wouldn't use that angle for a canceled show. No return visit in a future season to inspire future bootchers and toochers.  Winning this last one probably means some cash and a "contract" with a modeling agency that likely won't promise anything more than Devon's nineteen contracts (or however many he claims to have).

Hah! Try again. That's only in the past few Cycles. I'm sure Oppo can find some other suckers on some other bargain basement reality show to do this (maybe Ink Master?  I'm trying to think of another show that makes my skin crawl as much as Top Model at it's worst could).

With the irony that he'd wind up that way being the winner to get the least out of it. No print ads with a "from America's Top Model" flag pasted on, because they wouldn't use that angle for a canceled show. No return visit in a future season to inspire future bootchers and toochers.  Winning this last one probably means some cash and a "contract" with a modeling agency that likely won't promise anything more than Devon's nineteen contracts (or however many he claims to have).

The only difference between Devin's 6 modelling contracts (6 y'all......6 modelling contracts......more than 5, less than 7.....6 contracts!) and Nyle is that I think Nyle is marketable in a way Devin isn't.  It sounds like Nyle has some acting experience, and he is a traditionally very good looking guy.  I just saw an ad for Aqua Di Gio and while it was on a small screen, I actually thought it was Nyle for a minute.  He just has that look.  And it doesn't seem like he feels he is too good for anything, so I imagine he would be happy to do catalog work, high end work, runway work....whatever.  And he seems to have a positive attitude, which I think people would like.  Devin has to be that guy that someone is particularly looking for, so I understand why agencies represent him.  You don't want a client that is coming in looking for a Devin and you have a book full of Nyles.  But I think more people are looking for the Nyles of the world...which ultimately might make it hard for Nyle's to book work, because I'm sure modelling agencies represent a lot of guys that look as good as Nyle...but I can't imagine there are that many to where he wouldn't be able to make money.

• Love 3

One of the reasons that Tyra frankly lies and adheres to the " I am a Harvard business school graduate" is the hope that The Lie eventually will wend its way into her OFFICIAL biography.

She hopes that, over time, the constant lying and erroneous information becomes so entangled with The Truth that laziness will prohibit discerning accurate information . And, voila! Tamra IS a Harvard business school graduate.

~

Oh, it already had.  I mean consider her fans/audience.  How many of them are really gonna ask the tough questions?  Like -- Gee Tyra, was that really HBS you graduated from or Harvard Extension?  How did it only take you nine weeks to graduate when a typical MBA program takes 2 years?

Tyra should have gone further, she should have just visited Harvard for a week, audited a few classes and told everyone she took classes at Harvard.  I mean, its not a lie per se.  She would have been on campus and taken some classes.  Eventually it would have turned into "Tyra graduated from Harvard!"

• Love 1

I thought it HILARIOUS while discussing her 'Harvardathon' she exclaimed rather doltishly with surprise and great pride, "...and we had to read a book a week!"

DUH!

No shit, Einstein.

* Buuut, Tyra IS a multi-millionaire. So, there IS that.

• Love 1

I thought it HILARIOUS while discussing her 'Harvardathon' she exclaimed rather doltishly with surprise and great pride, "...and we had to read a book a week!"

DUH!

No shit, Einstein.

So are the Kardashians...

• Love 2

DUH!

No shit, Einstein.

Dr. Tyra Banks: PhD in Tyraology, MS in Fierceness (Concentration: Fiercely Realness), BS in Booty Toochness

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 5

The problem is that breaking into the world of cell phones is pretty difficult these days since Apple and Samsung kind of have that shit on lock down. I'm not exactly sure what would make the people at OPPO think that ANTM would sell their phones. If anything I never want to hear the word OPPO again.

• Love 3

I have no access to those versions.  Plus, I hear they aren't craptastic glory that ANTM is.

well, how do you really translate made up words like "tooch" and "booch" to a foreign audience?  Or do they just make up their own words?

• Love 1

I have no access to those versions.  Plus, I hear they aren't craptastic glory that ANTM is.

I don't either, unless I look for them online. Sorry, but I'm one of those people who prefers to watch her TV programs on a flatscreen TV. Call me old-fashioned.  ;-)

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 2

Well about time. It was starting to become underwhelming, the price package was shrinking... so by cycle 30 they would go to Idaho for their destination or something like that and the price would be "you will get to take your own selfies with the OPPO phone and upload them on tumblr and you will get to make your own VINE!".

Everything has been done and I think the show burried itself with bringing the boys. Boys can't do exciting hair, make up and dresses, which was why I was watching the show. The "house drama" time is taken by girls falling for boys and vice versa, instead of random ridiculous but yet enteraiming shit and background stories. It seems they cut that back, so there is space for smooshing. The drama of mixing up the couples on challenges and photoshoots seems contrieved. But maybe it's cause I am gay girl who can appreciate men for their aesthetic value, as I would appreciate painting or statue in a museum.... and the men on the show are not that... interesting in this regard.

• Love 2

I don't either, unless I look for them online. Sorry, but I'm one of those people who prefers to watch her TV programs on a flatscreen TV. Call me old-fashioned. ;-)

Same. Apple TV AirPlay is my best friend.

• Love 1

I bet they announced this show's death before the finale hoping for a nostalgia-fueled ratings boost as they wrap up, like Idol might have if they don't milk it too much and pull out one or two really talented people.  

Edited by phoenix780
  • Love 1

well, how do you really translate made up words like "tooch" and "booch" to a foreign audience?  Or do they just make up their own words?

The Korean subtitles were quite creative: they'd take the first syllables of the literal translation of "stick out your butt" and make up a new word, for example.  

Btw, as KNTM spurns out actual models (many contestants are teens) I'd stopped watching ANTM for that aspect but just watched for pure trainwreck entertainment, so I'm sad to see it go..

• Love 1

I'm not sure whether I'm supposed to groan or be excited.

If you put a different host in charge and the American version became more like the international versions, then that would be a good thing.

Then again, who would we be able to make fun of if Tyra's no longer hosting?

You know, honestly, once a show has run its course (eyeballing you Project Runway) I think its just best to die gracefully so a better show can take its place.

This show has had an amazing run in America, but lets see if someone can come up with a better version of this show.  Or maybe no one can and we'll forever be stuck without Ty-ism's

• Love 1

This show has had an amazing run in America, but let's see if someone can come up with a better version of this show.

I'd be onboard with that. I think revisiting a modeling competition show along the lines of Make Me A Supermodel would be a better idea.

• Love 2

Oh I can imagine they might come back in some form or other....I have watched some other versions in English on Youtube....AU, NZ, UK (getting very Tyra like IMHO..much drama)....Asiaa (english) and Africa

all were women only....younger models...Australia seems very much like "old" ANTP = young girls, tall, thin who could actually be models

I was thinking maybe Tyra will do a cable version - her, Eric and her Mom - he as photog, she as stylist, 3 of them on panel LOL

and I see the "preview" of this week show - it is the Mom's including Tyra's Mom haha

Maybe she will have the hamsters rough it at the campground? 

I can imagine them airing new cycles on a lower-tier cable channel like VH1, Oxygen or Lifetime, with a new host and judges. Although to be honest, ANTM is just not the same without Tytybaby's cray-cray dreckiture so I don't know if I will watch.

Curiosity question:

If ANTM came back on Hulu, Amazon, or through some other site, would any of you watch it?

Even if, say, Tyra acted as not only the host, but also the makeup artist, hair stylist, art director, photographer, and judge?

I'm thinking in terms of what I'd assume would be the budget.  ;-)

Curiosity question:

If ANTM came back on Hulu, Amazon, or through some other site, would any of you watch it?

Even if, say, Tyra acted as not only the host, but also the makeup artist, hair stylist, art director, photographer, and judge?

I'm thinking in terms of what I'd assume would be the budget.  ;-)

I'm not sure how I would feel about paying to watch ANTM.  So maybe on Hulu.....this show is best for its snark 

• Love 1