Type keyword(s) to search

The Current Season Of America's Next Top Model Will Be Its Last

After around...oh who am I kidding, I don't keep track of "cycles." The one after the short-girl cycle, where the really tall, really awkward girl won..Anna or something like that. From that season forwards (including that one) Tyra's hand-picked winners and overall favorites were so blatantly obvious as to be sickening.

I just couldn't any longer. I know "all reality tv is scripted" but damn Tyra. Did you have to be THAT obvious? It just wasn't any good or worth any kind of watching but "htate" watching after the short girl season.

• Love 2

I actually let out a "Nooooooooooo" in the office when I saw the Instagram post. As much as this show went of the rails into bootytoochboomboomledom, this is probably my favorite guilty pleasure reality show. I've watched since Jump Street (though I somehow totally missed the McKey season). I'm hoping this is one of those cries for love and attention, and hopefully the international versions still keep on keeping on. But if it's really goodbye, I'm gonna miss not having ol' Tyra to kick around anymore

• Love 4

Echoing Philyra's "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" (only with caps and an exclamation point). I will miss this show more than any rational human being should.

It's okay. Your "Dawson Ugly Cry" avi says it all. ;)

I will also miss the show, not as much as if it had been cancelled 7 cycles ago but, I will miss it.

• Love 2

I loved this show, but I stopped watching during the US vs UK cycle. I was just too embarrassed. Tyra's like the crazy aunt you lock in the attic when company comes over.

Edited by Merneith
  • Love 2

Top Model is usually some combination of hilarious and fun for the first 3 or 4 episodes, then you get tired of it.  Then it ends and by the next time one is set to come along you're excited about it again, then grow tired of it 3 or 4 shows in again.

Really it's shit wrapped in glitter paper and needs to go away for a while. Maybe if it's gone for 5 or 6 years then people may miss it enough to sit through a whole season without being pissed off at how gross and fake and annoying it gets.

On the other hand, will a Tyra Banks who'd be in her late 40s really be able to act so much like hot shit by the time it came back from a 5 or 6 year hiatus?  Who knows?

I wonder what she does next to try and keep herself somehow in the TV business?  (Bad) Acting roles? Becoming a Project Runway judge? A candid reality show maybe?  She's done the Talk Show thing already and nobody really cared.

• Love 3

So of course Tyra sends out a tweet contemplating whether or not C22 should be it's last today.  She's crazy like a fox, that one.

She did graduate from Harvard Business School after all.

I really thought it had become low budget enough that it would go on forever; especially since this season's travel destination is Las Vegas and Tyra's boyfriend has photographed 90% of the shoots. I've fast-forwarded through a good amount of recent seasons but I actually thought this one has been a little better than the last few. Oh well.

Aww, I wanted one more glorious all-girl season, understanding of course how irrational it is to believe it'd be "glorious."  Such a shame, and such a waste they never tried it without Tyra as the host/lead judge.  I'll miss this.

And I was just thinking last night- is this show the last remnant of UPN?  Kind of amazing it held on this long.

At least Tyra got one more plug in (for her empowering makeup salesperson company...offset, of course, by the Vine videos about how girls should study Science/Engineering/Tech/Math).

• Love 1

At least Tyra got one more plug in (for her empowering makeup salesperson company...offset, of course, by the Vine videos about how girls should study Science/Engineering/Tech/Math).

No more Tyra pyramid schemes.

No more "Pot Ledom."

• Love 4

I'll actually miss it, too. I wish they would show reruns more often.

If you have Hulu you can watch cycless 1-14 and season 22.

I'm not surprised this show is being cancelled. It became too weird and maybe it will hopefully tone down Tyra's narcississm. 

• Love 1

I actually let out a "Nooooooooooo" in the office when I saw the Instagram post. As much as this show went of the rails into bootytoochboomboomledom, this is probably my favorite guilty pleasure reality show. I've watched since Jump Street (though I somehow totally missed the McKey season). I'm hoping this is one of those cries for love and attention, and hopefully the international versions still keep on keeping on. But if it's really goodbye, I'm gonna miss not having ol' Tyra to kick around anymore

Well - maybe you can get a beautytainer to sell you some tyra cosmetics so they can make bank$igns or whatever.

Naomi Campbell has The Face, she could step in if she got rid of the team format on her show and had the three models be the judges....could work.

Personally, I like NC more than Tyra.

No more Tyra pyramid schemes.

No more "Pot Ledom."

No more beautytainers.....I feel like there should be some Tyra flag flying at half mast.

She did graduate from Harvard Business School after all.

I'm a little confused by this, did she somehow go through their Extension School?  Someone said she did a 9 week course and that doesn't sound like HBS at all.

• Love 1

Damn!  I love this trainwreck!!

Although, I'm not surprised by this news.  This season has been rough, even for this show.  Not one real model in the group, and many people who aren't even close.  Awful photographer.  Overseas trip to Vegas.  Go sees in LA.  Tyra's own pyramid-scheme make-up.  The winner might (i.e. won't) get a modelling contract.

R.I.P. show!

I actually let out a "Nooooooooooo" in the office when I saw the Instagram post. As much as this show went of the rails into bootytoochboomboomledom, this is probably my favorite guilty pleasure reality show.  

And this is probably my new favorite word.  Not sure how, when or where, but I'm going to try to find a way to work this into something....no one else, of course, will know what the hell I'm talking about, which makes it even better.

Edited by MMLEsq
  • Love 3

But I was counting on appearing on the cycle where Canadian men in their late-forties were finally made eligible to compete.

I know there was another show for this, because I watch all crappy tv shows available, but I'm shocked they never did an Old cycle.  Although for modeling most of their contestants fell into that category.

I wonder what she does next to try and keep herself somehow in the TV business?  (Bad) Acting roles? Becoming a Project Runway judge? A candid reality show maybe?  She's done the Talk Show thing already and nobody really cared.

Well she does have the FABLife daytime thing going on but it sounds like people are barely watching that.

Naomi Campbell has The Face, she could step in if she got rid of the team format on her show and had the three models be the judges....could work.

Actually, all versions of The Face were cancelled (the US version got two seasons).

I'm a little confused by this, did she somehow go through their Extension School?  Someone said she did a 9 week course and that doesn't sound like HBS at all.

That's because it's not.  She took a course that was open to anyone as along as they had the money to take it.  But truth never got in Tyra's way before.

From one article:

Yes, Banks did attend classes on the Harvard Business campus, but they were part of an Owner/President Management extension program and not part of the school's top-ranked Masters in Business Administration (M.B.A.).  Taught in three, three-week units over a period of three years, the non-degree-granting program sets its exclusive "clients" back $33,000 per unit. Upon completion of the program, the clients are presented with a "Certificate of Completion" according to O.P.M.'s Porfolio Director, Jacqueline Baugher. Clients can call themselves "alumni of O.P.M."
  • Love 1

No, y'all, seriously, I bet it WAS Tyra's idea to end the show. You know how introspective and thoughtful she is and I'm sure she was thinking, hey!! Let's end this while we're "on top."

In addition, hasn't she been calling herself an alum of Harvard Business School? According to the quote up above, she's an alumni of OPM, not Harvard. Poor Tyra!! Paid almost 100K only to find out she can't really - or shouldn't really - call herself a graduate of Harvard.

At any rate, I will miss this mess. We all knew it would end someday, but I figured Tyra had another decade of sillyosity planned. Guess I'll be snarking double hard on Project Runway next year, if it goes to a fifteenth season.

Edited by PepperMonkey

There are always international versions of NTM to watch.  Australia is casting for their 10th cycle and Britain's is coming back after being cancelled and is currently filming (no more Elle or Tyson).  And of course all of the Asian and European versions not to mention Africa.  And really, those girls and guys actually seem to work more as legit models than the ANTM ones do.  Several of them did very well this past fashion week.

Tyra's not going to go away anytime soon.  I don't see FABLife lasting long but she's supposedly doing a remake of "Lifesize" and was working on other TV projects.  Her crazy will last awhile.

Sigh. Oh well, time to go through the TYve Stages of Grief.

Denial: "Uh, Fierce! Bootytooch! Aswirl! I am Tookie! POT LEDOM!"

Anger: "HOW DARE YOU! WE WERE ALL ROOTING FOR YOU! KISS MY FAT ASS!"

Bargaining: "As a graduate of Harvard Business School, clearly we can come up with a flow chart or Venn diagram to address this situation."

Depression: "This is so sad. It is like that one time I pretended to be homeless for a few hours."

Acceptance: "Oh well, it was a good run. At least I'm not Becky."

<SMIZE>

Edited by rustyspigot
  • Love 19

You just reminded me of something else. We won't get to hear Tyra throw any more shade at Naomi. Usually she makes, at least, one subtle dig per cycle.

A friend of mine (who's African American) posted about this show on FB. She discussed how long it's lasted and while she only watched for a couple of seasons, she was proud of Tyra for expanding the idea of what beauty is and opening the doors up for diverse models. Something to that effect. While I understood what my friend was getting at, I wasn't sure if she had watched the same show the rest of us did. I didn't have the heart to correct her assessment.

Tyra hasn't opened up too many doors for anyone. Herself? Yes. Others? No.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 5

There should be one more cycle where superfans compete against one another.

I would watch the shit out of that. 

You just reminded me of something else. We won't get to hear Tyra throw anymore shade at Naomi. Usually she makes, at least, one subtle dig per cycle.

A friend of mine (who's African American) posted about this show on FB. She discussed how long it's lasted and while she only watched for a couple of seasons, she was proud of Tyra for expanding the idea of what beauty is and opening the doors up for diverse models. Something to that effect. While I understood what my friend was getting at, I wasn't sure if she had watched the same show the rest of us did. I didn't have the heart to correct her assessment.

I guess she has in a way, because usually reality shows about crazy non-White women are only on cable.  This was on network tv, sort of.  

I think Tyra's next venture will be online because, y'know, she's a trendsetter.  She could do an Iyanla Fix My Life kind of thing, only with more Tyra in the ty-tle.

• Love 1

I'm a little confused by this, did she somehow go through their Extension School?  Someone said she did a 9 week course and that doesn't sound like HBS at all.

Yeah, like other people said she basically paid 100 grand to take some classes and was delusional enough to either think that counted as attending Harvard Business School or that people would believe she attended Harvard Business School if she said she did.

• Love 2

I know there was another show for this, because I watch all crappy tv shows available, but I'm shocked they never did an Old cycle.  Although for modeling most of their contestants fell into that category.

Well, why shouldn't old men model?  Because society tells them not to?  That is such BS.  In fact, why can't old, fat men with backhair be models?  Because society tells them not to?  That is such BS.

You just reminded me of something else. We won't get to hear Tyra throw any more shade at Naomi. Usually she makes, at least, one subtle dig per cycle.

Its so funny, I vaguely remember someone addressing the subject with Naomi Campbell and she honestly never remembered being mean to Tyra.  Its funny that the experience meant so much to Tyra, and almost nothing to Naomi -- who is more than likely a bitch to just about everyone.

Here is the thing with the diverse models.  I think the industry will always accept and embrace who it accepts and embraces.  How much work has any of Tyra's "special cases" gotten because of the show?  Black models have been getting good work for a while now.  The people who opened that door are more likely Naomi and Beverly Johnson....not Tyra Banks and her ridiculous show.  And even more to the point, the people who opened the door for diversity in modeling were civil rights activists that ensured that people from different races were able to get access to education and to jobs where they made enough money to be important enough for companies to want to market to.  I just don't see people like Anna Wintour being like "wait....I could hire an asian model?  really?  can she tooch?"

Well she does have the FABLife daytime thing going on but it sounds like people are barely watching that.

Actually, all versions of The Face were cancelled (the US version got two seasons).

Well thats perfect then, an ANTM with three model judges headed by Naomi Campbell.  I'll say that she never tried to pimp anything on her show and she is so awful that she amuses me.  But she is honest in a way that Tyra isn't.  There really isn't any sort of sugar coating in Naomi's message....ever....but you will know exactly what she is telling you.

I feel like the team format of The Face had to be part of its undoing.  It was so clearly staged and it just didn't work.

• Love 2

Yeah, like other people said she basically paid 100 grand to take some classes and was delusional enough to either think that counted as attending Harvard Business School or that people would believe she attended Harvard Business School if she said she did.

Thats so funny, my brother didn't get into HBS, and as a running joke he would always blame Tyra Banks.....but I guess he can't do that anymore!  

Its interesting though that money has become such a great equalizer....

• Love 2

Its so funny, I vaguely remember someone addressing the subject with Naomi Campbell and she honestly never remembered being mean to Tyra.  Its funny that the experience meant so much to Tyra, and almost nothing to Naomi -- who is more than likely a bitch to just about everyone.

Here is the thing with the diverse models.  I think the industry will always accept and embrace who it accepts and embraces.  How much work has any of Tyra's "special cases" gotten because of the show?  Black models have been getting good work for a while now.  The people who opened that door are more likely Naomi and Beverly Johnson....not Tyra Banks and her ridiculous show.  And even more to the point, the people who opened the door for diversity in modeling were civil rights activists that ensured that people from different races were able to get access to education and to jobs where they made enough money to be important enough for companies to want to market to.  I just don't see people like Anna Wintour being like "wait....I could hire an asian model?  really?  can she tooch?"

Well thats perfect then, an ANTM with three model judges headed by Naomi Campbell.  I'll say that she never tried to pimp anything on her show and she is so awful that she amuses me.  But she is honest in a way that Tyra isn't.  There really isn't any sort of sugar coating in Naomi's message....ever....but you will know exactly what she is telling you.

I feel like the team format of The Face had to be part of its undoing.  It was so clearly staged and it just didn't work.

I thought Tyra had Naomi on her show and asked about it. Naomi genuinely couldn't remember being nasty to Tyra. Tyra's had this one-sided feud with Naomi for what feels like years. And Naomi continues to go about her business.

Don't forget Naomi Sims and Iman.  :)

Civil rights activists have been active for longer than Tyra's been alive. She likes to take credit for things or jump onto a trend and act as if she's made the trend.

Naomi's got her own issues, but what you see is what you get with her. I've always loved her as a model. The fact that she doesn't sugarcoat is something I like about her. I thought The Face was the most realistic modeling reality show competition. The challenges made more sense. All of the models veered more toward high fashion and beauty modeling. Tyra's always talked down commercial modeling, but for the most part, she was a commercial model. I always found that amusing about her.

• Love 3

I thought Tyra had Naomi on her show and asked about it. Naomi genuinely couldn't remember being nasty to Tyra. Tyra's had this one-sided feud with Naomi for what feels like years. And Naomi continues to go about her business.

Don't forget Naomi Sims and Iman.  :)

Civil rights activists have been active for longer than Tyra's been alive. She likes to take credit for things or jump onto a trend and act as if she's made the trend.

Naomi's got her own issues, but what you see is what you get with her. I've always loved her as a model. The fact that she doesn't sugarcoat is something I like about her. I thought The Face was the most realistic modeling reality show competition. The challenges made more sense. All of the models veered more toward high fashion and beauty modeling. Tyra's always talked down commercial modeling, but for the most part, she was a commercial model. I always found that amusing about her.

I think that was it, because I thought it was hilarious.  Tyra's one sided feud is the perfect way to put it.  

Yeah, I enjoyed The Face.  The only part that wasn't great was the team dynamic -- it was always clearly a set up for each team to have the same number of girls.  And ultimately The Face didn't seem to have to rely on any gimmicks.  If they had taken a trip, it would be great, but if they didn't their challenges were still interesting.  I think Naomi could really have a chance to revamp the show and pick up those viewers that want to watch a reality modelling competition.  

I know its taboo, but I really prefer Naomi to Tyra.  Tyra just comes off a bit fake to me.  For a while it seemed like she was always trying to convince people that she was "normal...just like them"  And I always find that a little condescending.  And then there were the seasons where she seemed to have doll hair weaves, which I think she did just to convince people that she was just a normal gal....struggling with bills and having to wear doll hair.  But she isn't.  She is a millionaire at least a few times over.  Just get a good weave and let people think what they want.  You don't catch Naomi on national TV without her hair and makeup flawless and normally wearing something by a designer I could never afford.  

• Love 3

I liked The Face as well.  It did have it's drawbacks in that if you didn't have the right model mentors, it was going to be bad.  I think the British version and the Australian version were better at that than the US version because that second season with Lydia Hearst as a mentor...ugh.

Anyway, at least we got Margaux Brooke out of it.  She was a working model in L.A. before but afterwards she got signed to her mentor's (Coco Rocha) agency Wilhelmina in NYC and has pretty much worked consistently ever since and has been cited as one of the top models when it comes to using social media these days for career purposes.

I actually liked Make Me A Supermodel as well.  There was a show with male and female models (and a case where Tyson Beckford made sense) with real challenges and prizes pertaining to working models, a decent judging panel and a runway requirement before every panel.

Edited by milkyaqua
  • Love 5

I actually liked Make Me A Supermodel as well.  There was a show with male and female models (and a case where Tyson Beckford made sense) with real challenges and prizes pertaining to working models, a decent judging panel and a runway requirement before every panel.

Yes, yes, YES. I miss Make Me A Supermodel. To me, that felt more like a high fashion modeling competition. The photoshoots were editorial and creative. I loved the runway-each-episode requirement too.

My most favorite thing about the older cycles of ANTM were the runway challenges. Mostly because I like watching people fall, but also because having a decent walk is supposed to be a requirement for becoming an editorial/runway model.

• Love 5

Hi....I will miss this mess...but if you look on youtube etc you can find other countries versions of Top Model....the shows are mostly more like the early shows...

all women.....in some countries (Australia) the selection is much more "model like" .....young, young,tall and thin,

I think Yu Tsi and Tyra's boyfriend were the a real good indication that this was the "end"

• Love 1

I liked The Face as well.  It did have it's drawbacks in that if you didn't have the right model mentors, it was going to be bad.  I think the British version and the Australian version were better at that than the US version because that second season with Lydia Hearst as a mentor...ugh.

Anyway, at least we got Margaux Brooke out of it.  She was a working model in L.A. before but afterwards she got signed to her mentor's (Coco Rocha) agency Wilhelmina in NYC and has pretty much worked consistently ever since and has been cited as one of the top models when it comes to using social media these days for career purposes.

Yeah, Lydia Hearst wasn't a great fit.  But ultimately I think there are shows like The Face, and even this one I never saw with Tyson that can fill the void, and probably not require the use of made up words and pyramid schemes.

Well, why shouldn't old men model?  Because society tells them not to?  That is such BS.  In fact, why can't old, fat men with backhair be models?  Because society tells them not to?  That is such BS.

Exactly.  When is it my time?  Except for the old part...I'm only old on the inside, 'cept for the gray hairs that have started.  Bastards. 

It's fun to joke about Tyra and Harvard (my bf and I joke that she went to Harvard...Business College in Reseda, CA or some such place), but I think the nice thing about Tyra's degree is that she at least had to pay for it.  I mean, she could have been given an honorary doctorate from somewhere.  This she earned-bought which feels better to me.

I'm glad the international NTM's are still going.  I have to catch up with Australia.  Loved how the girls actually seemed like models, and that they were never afraid to just cut 2-4 of them at once if it wasn't working out.

• Love 1

Exactly.  When is it my time?  Except for the old part...I'm only old on the inside, 'cept for the gray hairs that have started.  Bastards. 

It's fun to joke about Tyra and Harvard (my bf and I joke that she went to Harvard...Business College in Reseda, CA or some such place), but I think the nice thing about Tyra's degree is that she at least had to pay for it.  I mean, she could have been given an honorary doctorate from somewhere.  This she earned-bought which feels better to me.

I'm glad the international NTM's are still going.  I have to catch up with Australia.  Loved how the girls actually seemed like models, and that they were never afraid to just cut 2-4 of them at once if it wasn't working out.

I know, why can't short, stocky girls with glasses be models?  Because society tells us not to?  That is such BS.

Where is my ad campaign for Tyra deodorant.  LOL @ Harvard Business College in Reseda!

My guess is that Tyra wouldn't have wanted an honorary degree from the college that would want to give one to her.  I mean, who wants an honorary business degree from Hollywood Upstairs Business School when you can just spend a few bucks and have people thinking you really went to Harvard!  And you know she managed to write that off on her taxes too!

• Love 3

As far as I can tell, Tyra's only contribution to increasing diversity in modelling has been to increase the number of non-modelly looking people not getting work in modelling.  Hell, I could do that.  Heck, I could be one of those models, all without Tyra's help.

• Love 6

There should be one more cycle where superfans compete against one another.

Hey, I can smize, booty-tooch and give fierce and love with the best of 'em.  Plus, I look fabulous hanging upside down like a bat in my designer gowns and have the perfect duck-footed runway walk.  Bring it on!

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 3

I jumped ship way back in 2008, but I still heaved a small sigh of sadness when I heard that this show was canceled.  ANTM hit the skids long before men were included.  It eventually become clear that these supposed "top models" were going nowhere fast.  Unfortunately, a successful modeling career requires more than the ability to smize and make the best of a dubious makeover.  So long, Tyra.

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 2

I feel like you are all missing something really important here. With ANTM gone, who is going to shamelessly plug OPPO phones fourteen times an hour?

Real talk though, while obviously it is time for this train wreck to end, I am kind of sad. I've been watching this shit since I was in high school.

I liked The Face as well. It did have it's drawbacks in that if you didn't have the right model mentors, it was going to be bad. I think the British version and the Australian version were better at that than the US version because that second season with Lydia Hearst as a mentor...ugh.

Anyway, at least we got Margaux Brooke out of it. She was a working model in L.A. before but afterwards she got signed to her mentor's (Coco Rocha) agency Wilhelmina in NYC and has pretty much worked consistently ever since and has been cited as one of the top models when it comes to using social media these days for career purposes.

Huh. I had completely forgotten about "The Face" and Margaux. I just looked her up and she is just as beautiful as ever. And I have to say she is more high fashion and fabulous than anyone Tyra ever picked.

I do remember being a bit annoyed at the girl who actually won the first season of "The Face," but we all know winning doesn't mean anything.

Edited by Oranaiche
  • Love 1

As far as I can tell, Tyra's only contribution to increasing diversity in modelling has been to increase the number of non-modelly looking people not getting work in modelling.  Hell, I could do that.  Heck, I could be one of those models, all without Tyra's help.

Exactly. Lol.