Type keyword(s) to search

Maddie Brown: Seeking a One-Woman Man

Aethera
  • Start Topic

What’s the uhm…”decoration” in that tree? Was she gift-wrapping and did she think the tree could use some as well?

Yeah I know, little puppies and kids, so better not use baubles and other expensive glass stuff but there is plenty of nice looking, not too expensive kid-proof Christmas decoration around! (Expert mom here, our youngest just turned 5) Just take the paper, or ugly ribbon (whatever it is) out please. It hurts my eyes!

• Love 6
38 minutes ago, LilyD said:

What’s the uhm…”decoration” in that tree? Was she gift-wrapping and did she think the tree could use some as well?

Yeah I know, little puppies and kids, so better not use baubles and other expensive glass stuff but there is plenty of nice looking, not too expensive kid-proof Christmas decoration around! (Expert mom here, our youngest just turned 5) Just take the paper, or ugly ribbon (whatever it is) out please. It hurts my eyes!

I have seen ribbons used to decorate trees but it is more effective if they are luxuriantly swaged over the branches.  This looks like she took short ends and tacked them here and there.  If she wanted the color of the ribbons, she would have been better to make bows of the ribbons, maybe even use them to suspend the balls.  Where's Blair when we need him.

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, LilyD said:

There are beautiful shatterproof ornaments available.   I just bought some on Amazon, and they are really pretty.  I put them at the bottom of the tree in case my cats decide they want to play with a "ball".  No excuse for ugly decorating just because you have pets or kids.

• Love 8

Last year, for the first time in 19 years, I had young, energetic cats at Christmas. I ordered holiday cards from Minted that were shaped like ornaments, into which you upload a family picture. Instead, I uploaded picture of my cats. My tree is officially crazy cat lady, but no broken ornaments, and I think it’s adorable (just like my cats). 

• Love 20
1 hour ago, CalicoKitty said:

No excuse for ugly decorating just because you have pets or kids.

Unless you have the kids making the decorations and cats climbing the tree. Though at least they had fun with the paper, glue and glitter.

We made some decorations with cookie cutters and papier mâché as kids that my mother pulled out every year. At ~40 we said you don't need to still put them on the tree, but she wanted to.

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 5
  • Love 9
14 hours ago, deirdra said:

Unless you have the kids making the decorations and cats climbing the tree. Though at least they had fun with the paper, glue and glitter.

We made some decorations with cookie cutters and papier mâché as kids that my mother pulled out every year. At ~40 we said you don't need to still put them on the tree, but she wanted to.

That’s so sweet! 

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Tuxcat said:

quiet house - I assumed

unless she quit the house and is on to a new life

I assumed that also, but couldn't resist. I guess it's too much trouble for Maddie to proofread her posts or use a grammar check.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Sandy W said:

It's the Robert Munsch verse:  I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, as long as I'm living, my baby you'll be.

I think the last line reads, "It's OK to wear a baseball cap for a dinner date"

Bwwwaaahhh. Love Robert Munsch, do an author study on him. Love You Forever is great,  but too sad. Mud Puddle, 50 Below Zero, Stephanie's Ponytail and  David's Father are better IMO.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

Love You Forever is great,  but too sad. 

My former mother-in-law gave me Love You Forever when my son was born. She was a narcissist with absolutely no boundaries and my husband was her only boy and her youngest to boot. So I was always creeped out by the mother's lack of boundaries in the book because I could totally see my mother-in-law setting up a ladder and creeping through our window to cradle her adult son while we slept. My son is grown and I'm no longer with his dad, but I was gratified to see someone did an alternate ending for Love You Forever because it had always bugged me. (They also did an alternate ending for Shel Silverstein's The Giving Tree which I also found much more satisfying). 

Edited by NoWhammies
  • Useful 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, NoWhammies said:

My former mother-in-law gave me Love You Forever when my son was born. She was a narcissist with absolutely no boundaries and my husband was her only boy and her youngest to boot. So I was always creeped out by the mother's lack of boundaries in the book because I could totally see my mother-in-law setting up a ladder and creeping through our window to cradle her adult son while we slept. My son is grown and I'm no longer with his dad, but I was gratified to see someone did an alternate ending for Love You Forever because it had always bugged me. (They also did an alternate ending for Shel Silverstein's The Giving Tree which I also found much more satisfying). 

Nowhammies, We must be related. Always hated the selfish boy in The Giving Tree. I did love the tree though. I no longer use Love You Forever in my author study. Replaced it with More Pies.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

1EAC601A-E580-4BB0-B6B7-33CB4B43BAE0.jpeg

FF4608DC-80C0-4B56-A780-A16641724449.jpeg

Maddie should take note—it was *this* guy I saw most of at strip clubs (I pole danced my way through college—working 2 days a week was much easier than 5!). The guy who does everything they want to do, the guy who is feeling a little trapped (and doesn’t want them to know because it would upset them), the guy who doesn’t want to watch “Frozen”. 

Yeah. Lots of $$ from those guys. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 5

I think Caleb is, all in all, a pretty decent guy. I still want to snark on his constant hat wearing though. Cause that's what we're here for. 😉 

Some guys really have a drive to be a father, a really good one. They can't wait to get home and spend time with their kids. I had a dad like that and it is an awesome way to grow up.

That said, I also agree with @TurtlePower, it wouldn't be a bad thing for Caleb to get to do what he wants sometimes. (maybe he does) It was a little strange to me that she mentioned how much he hates this movie.

I was often on my dad's lap to watch tv, but we were probably watching Gunsmoke. 😆 If we were watching cartoons, he might stay in the room but he probably read a book about something that interested him.

Who knows, maybe on most days, they have a good balance like that. 

What gets me is that Maddie is so effusive about it. It's nice that she's grateful and appreciates what she has, but these kind of guys do exist, they're not miracles. Perhaps she is blown away by this because her own dad was such a shit father.

A man who decides to create children SHOULD come home from work and spend time with them. Sadly, Maddie's own dad thought his job was done once he impregnated someone.

• Love 20
12 minutes ago, Sasha888 said:

I think Caleb is, all in all, a pretty decent guy. I still want to snark on his constant hat wearing though. Cause that's what we're here for. 😉 

Some guys really have a drive to be a father, a really good one. They can't wait to get home and spend time with their kids. I had a dad like that and it is an awesome way to grow up.

That said, I also agree with @TurtlePower, it wouldn't be a bad thing for Caleb to get to do what he wants sometimes. (maybe he does) It was a little strange to me that she mentioned how much he hates this movie.

I was often on my dad's lap to watch tv, but we were probably watching Gunsmoke. 😆 If we were watching cartoons, he might stay in the room but he probably read a book about something that interested him.

What gets me is that Maddie is so effusive about it. It's nice that she's grateful and appreciates what she has, but these kind of guys do exist, they're not miracles. Perhaps she is blown away by this because her own dad was such a shit father.

A man who decides to create children SHOULD come home from work and spend time with them. Sadly, Maddie's own dad thought his job was done once he impregnated someone.

It's good to see Maddie posting something positive, for a change, and not plugging for Plexus.

That said, I totally agree with the above, especially the last two paragraphs.  Maddie seems to have daddy issues, and who could blame her?  The shit father (sperm donor) that she had seems to have had her seek a man who appreciates her and their children.

Hopefully Caleb does get to do his own thing, as well.  Balance is good.

• Love 14
21 hours ago, Sasha888 said:

Effusive is a good way to describe it. I hope Maddie doesn’t think it’s going to be all puppies and kittens.  “Oh look at Caleb he hates this movie how sweet”—and it is—but guys need to feel like they’re appreciated and that includes a little leeway to do stuff THEY enjoy. And maybe Caleb does—but Maddie’s post made me think back to those years and the gripes that guys had about their families (not that they didn’t love them, just that they needed a break from cartoons, toys, expectations and feeling stifled). They work all day and then get home and still can’t relax or be themselves, that sort of thing. 

Edited by TurtlePower
Additional
  • Love 10

Screenshot from a video, first she said she took 1 class this semester, then she said she took 2. The one she remembered had 4 finals. I hope it wasn’t an English or writing class. 🤷🏼‍♀️

9FE8ED64-8C79-4AB5-8328-42831480BC87.jpeg

0B00A750-3BD6-48E2-806E-0999E0F790C9.jpeg

They’re getting ready to travel for Christmas. She didn’t say where they are going.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3

I think seeing a man who likes to spend time with his wife and children is completely new to Maddie and it’s giving her all the warm and fuzzy holiday feels.  She has always struck me as a daddy’s girl and I always thought she worshipped Kootie, but maybe she has had an epiphany and realized that Kootie wasn’t the super dad she thought he was.  I don’t dare to hope that she realizes just what a piece of shit he really is.  He’s her daddy so of course she loves him, and her mom is still towing the plyg line.  She may never get there, but at least she can see how the other half (she) lives and why it makes more sense.

• Love 17
On 12/16/2021 at 11:00 PM, ginger90 said:

Screenshot from a video, first she said she took 1 class this semester, then she said she took 2. The one she remembered had 4 finals. I hope it wasn’t an English or writing class. 🤷🏼‍♀️

If it was, she obviously failed….
I have recently wondered about Maddie’s college attempts. We’ve discussed several reasons for her pulling out of college and interesting career switches (from judge to nurse for example) But I am now starting to wonder whether she actually pulls out because she can’t keep up? That she lacks the ability? Her spelling is very poor, as is her use of language in general, so it wouldn’t surprise me.  

• Love 9
2 hours ago, LilyD said:

If it was, she obviously failed….
I have recently wondered about Maddie’s college attempts. We’ve discussed several reasons for her pulling out of college and interesting career switches (from judge to nurse for example) But I am now starting to wonder whether she actually pulls out because she can’t keep up? That she lacks the ability? Her spelling is very poor, as is her use of language in general, so it wouldn’t surprise me.  

I think Maddie has an inflated sense of her own abilities.  She may see herself as a combination of Meri (dogged determination) and Robyn (She-Ra bravery).  She overloads her plate with two special needs kids, running what seems to be a large home, finishing school and side hustles like Plexus as well as her constant social media posts on every single aspect of her life.  And now two puppies.

I don't blame her for dropping LLR, but whatever became of her business selling clothing that may have been manufacturer's overruns or returns, that seemed to only last a few months. 

She craves admiration and respect, as do most people, but Maddie goes beyond.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, LilWharveyGal said:

My tired eyes didn't pick up on the comma and I thought you were breaking the news that Maddie is running a large finishing school from her home.  🤦‍♀️ 

I'm sure when we all think of etiquette and deportment, we picture Maddie Brown Brush.

Maddie's Finishing School is where you learn to announce to large groups of people that you feel the need to have very loud sex. 🤮

• LOL 11