Type keyword(s) to search

Maddie Brown: Seeking a One-Woman Man

Aethera
  • Start Topic

My guess is that this will play out on the show as Maddie will likely need extra money to pay medical bills which are going to add up no matter how good the insurance, especially since they are looking at years of specialized medical care to help Evie. I wouldn’t blame her if she did the show for the money. I doubt Caleb is making so much money that they won’t have to worry about paying medical bills. People who are making much more than Caleb can end up in debt even with the best insurance. It’s a great idea to say keep this off the show but this money may help Maddie be able to go to every doctor’s appointment, stay with Evie everyday she is in the hospital, take care of her as she recuperates at home instead of trying to get time off and hoping not to get fired for doing so.

Maddie may be a SAHM right now, but that may not be possible once the medical bills start adding up. A few years ago, I went to the ER for what turned out to be bad acid reflux. I was there less than four hours and my bill was almost eleven thousand. With insurance I only owed about two thousand. I cannot imagine what the out of pocket expenses are going to be for testing and multiple surgeries. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
16 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

I also wonder about that...

I can't recall... Is Caleb related to Kody?

Only by marriage as I recall.  I think Kody's deceased brother was married to Caleb's sister, so no blood link there.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Juliegirlj said:

If one of my adult kids had a health crisis with a new baby I would walk on water,  if necessary, to be there for them. Janelle did help Maddie fly back home after their visit but hightailed it back to Arizona right away...

I wondered about that, even before we heard this news. What earthly reason did she have to rush back for? Filming couch sessions? Savanah is her only child at home and would probably be happy to stay with Christine.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

I always wonder about genetic abnormalities when we talk about the family "wreath" of polygamists and their history of inbreeding.

I'm all for exposing the ills of polygamy but I kind of doubt Evie is at a much higher risk than the general population. Caleb's ancestors, as far as we know, were not plygs. On Maddie's side, both Kody and Janelle and their parents were converts, so they don't have generations of plyg inbreeding either.

Now if, say, Paedon married an Allred or Jessup girl and had a baby, it'd be a different story.

(I am not a scientist. If I'm way off base somebody spray me with Mariah's hose.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
49 minutes ago, MakingBacon said:

I wouldn’t blame her if she did the show for the money.

One wonders how the baby will feel about having her life spread all over tabloids and the internet when she gets older.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

One wonders how the baby will feel about having her life spread all over tabloids and the internet when she gets older.

That was my thought as well.  

Since she has what appears to be a rare syndrome, and as I said in close proximity to two excellent medical schools, the bills might not be as high as one might assume. 

I'm biased because my father and most of his brothers, as well as one of my nephews, are/were UNC alumni (my dad was premed before he switched science majors) but UNC has one of the very best children's hospitals in the US, if not the world.  This was a very good move for them.

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Useful 4
  • Love 6
27 minutes ago, suomi said:

It sounds like one of those fortunate situations that is of mutual benefit to the patient and to the healers.

I sure hope so. That sweet little girl is in for a lifetime of surgeries/treatments that have the potential to bankrupt even the wealthiest of people. Hopefully much of her care will be comped in the name of research.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
On 10/21/2019 at 2:06 PM, Joan of Argh said:

He's such a sourpuss and always has a dopey look on his face... and the binkie doesn't help.

I think he has inherited his grandmother Janelle's temperament.

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Teafortwo said:

I wondered about that, even before we heard this news. What earthly reason did she have to rush back for? Filming couch sessions? Savanah is her only child at home and would probably be happy to stay with Christine.

I think Gabe is still at home too and sometimes teens need more supervision than Savanah would.  One thing for sure, Janelle couldn't count on daddy dearest to step in and lend a hand and just maybe spend some quality time with his kids from Janelle.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Sandy W said:

I think Gabe is still at home too and sometimes teens need more supervision than Savanah would.  One thing for sure, Janelle couldn't count on daddy dearest to step in and lend a hand and just maybe spend some quality time with his kids from Janelle.

Isn't Savannah like 15 years old now?

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Teafortwo said:

9 hours ago, Sandy W said:

But according to our wives, this type of scenario EXACTLY what is supposed to make polygamy so great.  In Janelle's own words: "I think what we have is awesome."  So if Janelle needs to travel to NC, she supposedly has lots of help raising Gabe and Savannah.  SUPPOSEDLY.

Let's see...Robyn would sob and wipe copious eye boogers as she explained to Janelle that while she'd love to help, she's just way too busy with her own kids and, of course, that jool'ry for MSWC isn't going to design itself.  Meri would get in her car as fast as her LLN leggings and lace-up booties would carry her and hightail it to the nearest available cruise ship.  Kody would perfect his dead-eyed caveman stare and conveniently "forget" that he even fathered a Savannah or a Gabe.

Christine would certainly help out and, in fact, Savannah and Gabe might actually be better off in her house anyway.  But this puts a lot of pressure on Janelle to go to Maddie and actually be active, engaged and helpful - and that doesn't mean feeding canned cabbage to Axel with one hand while composing the latest rockstar Strive post with the other.

It's too bad that Maddie, in fact, does not have parents that she can really count on.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Higgins said:

In perspective, pacifier used by a 2 year old is not such a big deal. 

And it would make some sense that with what they are dealing with they don't want to go through the cold turkey process right now.  He is still really a baby too and his life has changed.  I say this as a mother whose first child used the pacifier for 8 months and threw it out of the crib.  Second child sucked his thumb.  We eventually told him he could only suck his thumb and carry his blankie in his room.  Daughter in law let the three grands have the "sucker" as she called it well into over 3 years old.  No one needed braces for using it.  They are well adjusted people now.

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, laurakaye said:

It's too bad that Maddie, in fact, does not have parents that she can really count on.

She has five parents and all of them, either collectively or individually, are as valuable as a boot full of warm spit.

• Love 7
16 hours ago, LilWharveyGal said:

Kody and Janelle and their parents were converts, so they don't have generations of plyg inbreeding either.

Kody's grandparents (and back) were plygs. His parents didn't practice and didn't raise their kids that way, but Ol' Kodouche got the calling. And if Janelle comes from a long line of Mormons, then she has plyg way back. 

There have been studies done on the FLDS that show one type of genetic disease that occurs at a higher rate than in the monogamous population (fumarase deficiency). I would love to see what studies would turn up with the Kingston Clan, who marry their immediate family members.

I rilly, rilly hope Maddie doesn't allow this to be a story line. But knowing Kody, he will sell the soul of his poor granddaughter just to keep the gravy train going.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Galloway Cave said:

Kody's grandparents (and back) were plygs. His parents didn't practice and didn't raise their kids that way, but Ol' Kodouche got the calling. And if Janelle comes from a long line of Mormons, then she has plyg way back. 

I will always believe that it was less that Kodork got "the calling," and more to prove to his classmates that he wasn't gay.  He has ALWAYS been less about the religious aspect of having four wives and more about the shock factor and bragging rights.  How many times have we seen him corner an unsuspecting person and introduce himself and his "Four!  Wives!  Count 'em!  Four!  All mine, yo!  Hahahaha woooo how you like me now?"

But then again, polygamy has always been more about bragging for the man and subservience for the woman.  I'm just tired of Kody pretending that he's this pious, religious man when in fact he's just a moron.

• Love 20

Poor Evie! Her condition looks painful. And an article I read says amputation is one of treatments they consider. 

And hey I had a pacifier until I was four. I remember people making comments about it and my mom just shrugged. She DNGAF! She said I used to give people the evil eye if they dared to try to shame me! 😂

• Love 8
On 10/24/2019 at 11:58 AM, laurakaye said:

I will always believe that it was less that Kodork got "the calling," and more to prove to his classmates that he wasn't gay.  He has ALWAYS been less about the religious aspect of having four wives and more about the shock factor and bragging rights.  How many times have we seen him corner an unsuspecting person and introduce himself and his "Four!  Wives!  Count 'em!  Four!  All mine, yo!  Hahahaha woooo how you like me now?"

But then again, polygamy has always been more about bragging for the man and subservience for the woman.  I'm just tired of Kody pretending that he's this pious, religious man when in fact he's just a moron.

I haven't watched the show in awhile - does he still do the "four wives" trope?

On 10/24/2019 at 10:12 AM, Galloway Cave said:

I rilly, rilly hope Maddie doesn't allow this to be a story line. But knowing Kody, he will sell the soul of his poor granddaughter just to keep the gravy train going.

As a person with a rare genetic cancer disease, if it was me I'd exploit TLC to get word out about my rare condition. I have to explain my disease to many doctors. There is an organisation that is solely dedicated to supporting my disease and funding research. Many scientists are studying my disease because what they learn is valuable to cancer research at large. 

Then again, I'd never be on a reality show, so.....

Edited by LoneWolf
  • Love 24
On 10/24/2019 at 7:35 AM, laurakaye said:

But according to our wives, this type of scenario EXACTLY what is supposed to make polygamy so great.  In Janelle's own words: "I think what we have is awesome."  So if Janelle needs to travel to NC, she supposedly has lots of help raising Gabe and Savannah.  SUPPOSEDLY.

BUT I think that was said when they actually all lived together. So yes, if they lived as a true polygamy family should and does, then yes she would have the support. They would all be under the same roof. However we know they all essentially live as separate families now and when you're spread out around a small city then the support isn't going to be there. 

• Love 3

I'm a sucker for Flo so I liked how Maddie looked. I didn't realize that Axel was Mayhem - heh, heh, great job with that one. He made me laugh even tho I didn't know who he was. Evie is darling, she can be whoever she wants but I'm with you, who is Caleb? 

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, suomi said:

I'm a sucker for Flo so I liked how Maddie looked. I didn't realize that Axel was Mayhem - heh, heh, great job with that one. He made me laugh even tho I didn't know who he was. Evie is darling, she can be whoever she wants but I'm with you, who is Caleb? 

Evie is the Geico gekko!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Caleb is the State Farm guy, Jake I think. It is from a commercial where the wife finds her husband talking to someone on the phone late at night. The wife suspects he is talking to another woman and asks who he is talking to. The husband replies something like: " Jake from State Farm". The wife disbelieves him and grabs the phone, saying something like,  "So Jake from State Farm, what are you wearing?" Then Jake from State Farm looks down and answers, " Uh.......khakis". ( He is also wearing a red Polo shirt). It has been a while but I think the point was that State Farm was available at all hours or something similar. 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5
9 minutes ago, Liddy52 said:

Caleb is the State Farm guy, Jake I think. It is from a commercial where the wife finds her husband talking to someone on the phone late at night. The wife suspects he is talking to another woman and asks who he is talking to. The husband replies something like: " Jake from State Farm". The wife disbelieves him and grabs the phone, saying something like,  "So Jake from State Farm, what are you wearing?" Then Jake from State Farm looks down and answers, " Uh.......khakis". ( He is also wearing a red Polo shirt). It has been a while but I think the point was that State Farm was available at all hours or something similar. 

Thank you, I guess I didn't see that commercial, or tuned it out!  I tend to do that, especially when I'm typing on my laptop, like now.  Now I remember, he and Kootie and others? wore khakis to C & M's weddingk.  It's been awhile.

• Love 1
On 10/27/2019 at 10:26 AM, DakotaJustice said:

I haven't watched the show in awhile - does he still do the "four wives" trope?

Yup he still does it as recently as the move to Flagstaff

He managed to shout out for all HIS children to gather around and that he was the father of ALL these kids and these were his wives!... Blah blah... 😲

Meanwhile Christine was chiming in explaining that they're all one family to anyone who would listen.... Most the neighbour's looked like they couldn't care less and were more interested in the 17 vehicles that suddenly took over their quiet street.

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
On 10/23/2019 at 10:24 AM, MissT said:

But to be snarky:  this will definitely provide another season or two.

I agree.... I think they'll definitely be putting this on the show and I can't say I blame them.

I kind of suspect that the reason they went public now was to get it out there so when the show starts they can make a smooth transition into the show and why they're there.

TLC might have been there for Evie's birth and already have it ready to go.

If it was me I think I'd try to secure a spot on the show for as long as possible so hubby could stay at home and help... There will be lots of doctor visits and traveling back and forth etc and Caleb could be a huge comfort and help to Maddie.

On a side note it was nice to see an actual smile on Axel's face and he looked cute! 😁

• Love 8
On 11/5/2019 at 8:30 AM, xwordfanatik said:

I wish she'd stop with the dark hair dye.  Maddie will have grey roots soon enough.  Go back to blonde!

Agree, it just prematurely ages her. She looks 33 or older, not 23. All the M initialled Brown girls with that unnatural and harsh mahogany box dye hair, look a decade older than they actually are. It’s especially unattractive when they can’t even keep up with the regrowth.

Best easy care hair tip for a soon to be new mum - go back to your natural colour for the first few years as you probably are not going to have time to maintain your dye job. Don’t know what Mariah’s excuse is.

• Love 6
On 11/7/2019 at 2:06 AM, Sofa Sloth said:

Agree, it just prematurely ages her. She looks 33 or older, not 23. All the M initialled Brown girls with that unnatural and harsh mahogany box dye hair, look a decade older than they actually are. It’s especially unattractive when they can’t even keep up with the regrowth.

Best easy care hair tip for a soon to be new mum - go back to your natural colour for the first few years as you probably are not going to have time to maintain your dye job. Don’t know what Mariah’s excuse is.

She’s 23????

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Shocking, it's it?  All of the M girls look like they were rode hard and put away wet.

I think it's the hair dye, it gives them an unnatural harshness.  It seems to me that the M's are seeking individuality in a sea of blondes, an expected consequence when they are vying for paternal attention with 17 siblings.  It doesn't seem to matter so much to the boys in the family but Maddie in particular, lasers her eyes around a room for reaction with every on-camera statement she makes.

• Love 8

I will be the unpopular one and say that I like Maddie with a more brown tone hair color to her blond. Not the overly dark hair color that she has done. That does look harsh, but when it is more of an actual brown color I like it. I died my light brown hair black when I was in college. I loved it then, but looking back on it is was quite harsh. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Shocking, it's it?  All of the M girls look like they were rode hard and put away wet.

She also has a habit of gritting her teeth together as she talks which makes her seem bitchy.

She keeps posting about how badly Axel is handling everything and how he acts up and destroys stuff..... I mean really wtf?

What has he got to deal with that's so fucking horrible... A baby sister?.... why is he allowed to run the show and throw fits until he gets his way?

They let him keep his binkie..... and almost every single day since then Maddie has posted IG stories whining about Axel and how upset he is.... How he wrecks shit... Blah blah... The other day he tried to trash the TV by lashing out pushing, shoving and trying to knock it on the floor.

What a great life... 23 and stuck at home with a newborn that has serious medical issues and a demonic toddler that throws a fit and destroys everything in his path.  🙄

• Love 14