Type keyword(s) to search

Hawaii 5-0 In the Media

• Start Topic

On 7/24/2017 at 3:34 PM, ally said:

Hmm, that's interesting.  Years ago we were watching an old James Bond movie when I made a comment that I didn't know Jack Lord was on a Bond movie.  My dad commented, "Yeah, once h got that job on Hawaii 5-0 he thought he was too good to be in any other James Bond movies and they had to recast the role.  I mentioned that I didn't know he was that arrogant and my dad smirked at me.  Who knew? 

Lord demanded more money, more screen time and I believe equal billing with Connery to return to the role of Felix Leiter.   Needless to say, the producers declined.  

• Love 2

Alex has nothing on Jack Lord. Heard he is a team player and friendly. Even if I may not like Alex's character that much, heard the actor himself is a team player and a nice guy. Jack Lord would not at all let people into the set and shake their hands and take pictures. He had indeed an ego.

• Love 1
On 7/24/2017 at 8:40 PM, BW Manilowe said:

From E! Online: How Grace Park Prepared for Battlestar Galactica Comic Con Reunion After Hawaii Five-0 Exit

This is in both print & embedded video versions on the same page. I read the print version & watched the video version. Having watched the video, & having heard her actually be asked about it, I got the feeling that H50 may now be firmly in Grace's past--a feeling I didn't necessarily get from just reading the same interview in print.

And, honestly, if I got the correct vibe she was giving off about her current feelings about H50 that makes me kinda sad (& yeah I get that some actors aren't as emotionally invested in their characters & the works those characters come from as [at least some of] the fans are/can be). Where DDK, in the letter to the fans he posted on his Facebook after his leaving was announced, seemed perhaps sad to not be playing Chin anymore, Grace seemed, to me, to be more like "That's finally over! Let's move on to the next thing!" here.

I sensed a vibe, too, but not so much "thank God H5-O is behind me," but more of avoiding controversy.  The topic of her dismissal is so controversial right now that I think she doesn't want to touch it.  Or she's pissed off or bitter about being let go and/or how it was handled, so she only wanted to talk about Battlestar, a tv show show that was good to her.  

• Love 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

And this is from Variety on the same subject:

CBS Chiefs: 'Hawaii Five-0' Actors Were Offered 'a Lot of Money to Stick Around'

And from Deadline: New CBS Toppers Face Tough Questions About Diversity, 'Hawaii Five-0' Asian Actors Exits

Edited by BW Manilowe
To fix placement of linked article and spacing, and to add another article.
12 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Also E! Online. My impression is that CBS continues to be completely tone deaf on the issues. "We gave them an unprecedented opportunity" = 'You know, for Asians. And they should have been happy with that.'

And TV GuideFrom TV Guide: CBS Execs Address Diversity Issues, Hawaii Five-0, and "New Palette"

I agree with you; CBS does seem to be rather tone deaf about their lack of diversity in casting, for the most part. In 1 of the articles I read &/or linked about, 1 of the bosses mentioned something about the casting department at the network (which is different than that run by Rachel Sutton in Hawaii for local actors to work on the show) consisting of all white men. And they don't get that may be part of the problem they're having with diversity at CBS--that they're only/primarily scheduling shows with white men in the leads because white men are the only ones currently doing the casting on CBS' behalf?

(edited)

DDK's been doing some world traveling since S7 wrapped. I'm about 99% sure at least some of this was to promote The Good Doctor, the new ABC show he's an Executive Producer of through his production company, in overseas markets which have either already picked up the show or which they're trying to get to pick it up.

So, he either just was, or still is, in Vancouver. And he met up, & got a photo, with a now former cast mate. Here's the pic link from DDK's Instagram

And Entertainment Weekly (& People magazine, which isn't linked because their article is Entertainment Weekly's) somehow covered the reunion

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a link. Then to add a source.
On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 4:52 PM, Passepartout said:

Really what is weird is I watch almost anything and everything CBS. But they do need to pick up on diversity.

Yeah when I stopped to think about what I watched during the television season and what channels the shows were on I was shocked to realize CBS has the majority of shows.  I would have thought the majority of shows I watched would have been on a more diverse channel since I'm a female minority.  It was kind of troubling, but then again it just might be my age and the type of shows they have.  I do like procedurals a lot.

• Love 1
On 4/8/2017 at 0:52 AM, Passepartout said:

Really what is weird is I watch almost anything and everything CBS. But they do need to pick up on diversity.

Thinking about it, Hawaii Five-0, Elementary and Criminal Minds are the only CBS shows I watch (but I am on the younger side. No NCIS for me just yet, heh). I do want to check out SWAT and the new Jeremy Piven show (which, by the way, co-stars Richard T. Jones, who is awesome and briefly played the Governor on H50), but that's it. I surprisingly watch a lot of Fox shows, which I never realized (and Fox does pretty well with "diversity", for which I applaud them).

• Love 1

Yeah as really good luck to CBS in explaining how they mistreated Daniel and Grace. As really will give the show one more chance. But the Steve and Danny thing has gotten old and tired. Going from good nature to being mean spirited bickering. Only reason that I watched Five 0 was Daniel.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Passepartout said:

Yeah as really good luck to CBS in explaining how they mistreated Daniel and Grace. As really will give the show one more chance. But the Steve and Danny thing has gotten old and tired. Going from good nature to being mean spirited bickering. Only reason that I watched Five 0 was Daniel.

Better yet - glimpses of Daniel in an itsy bitsy towel!

• Love 3

From VarietyDaniel Dae Kim to Replace Ed Skrein in Hellboy Movie Reboot

In case some choose not to read the linked story, Daniel has taken over a role from another actor in the upcoming Hellboy movie reboot. When this role was cast with the original actor, there was something of a stink over it because the character is Asian & the original actor in the role is Caucasian--so some people felt the producers were trying to "whitewash" the character by casting the original actor (& people have also accused producers of other recent projects of "whitewashing" certain other characters of color--mostly Asians--by casting white actors in those roles). Once objections were made over the ethnicity of the original actor vs. the character, the original actor graciously vacated the role, because he completely understood the objections to his being cast, so that the role could be recast with an actor of the character's already established Asian heritage.

I figure since DDK isn't in H50 anymore, I probably should've put this in the Small Talk thread. I put it in this thread because the article does mention that DDK & GP left the show during the summer hiatus over issues of salary parity with AO'L & SC. So I figure this still squeaks by as belonging in the thread for media mentions of the show.

• Love 1
On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 2:32 PM, ally said:

I think Julie Chen is the only minority at CBS whose jobs are safe since she married the boss.

I'm sorry I stand corrected from this original  post.  I was wrong.  I just read and article the other day that since Big Brother was going to have a shorter season Julie Chen was informed by her husband, Les Moonves, that she was taking a pay cut and to tell her lawyer there would be no negotiation.  Her lawyer is his brother.  I'm kind of understanding why a lot of the people on this board don't watch a lot of CBS shows.

9 hours ago, ally said:

I'm sorry I stand corrected from this original  post.  I was wrong.  I just read and article the other day that since Big Brother was going to have a shorter season Julie Chen was informed by her husband, Les Moonves, that she was taking a pay cut and to tell her lawyer there would be no negotiation.  Her lawyer is his brother.  I'm kind of understanding why a lot of the people on this board don't watch a lot of CBS shows.

To offer some small clarification, the season of Big Brother where Julie Chen will have to take a pay cut is an all-celebrity edition they're hoping to do sooner rather than later. The pay cut is based on the fact that an all-celebrity season would probably have to be shorter than the original show's seasons normally are--they're something like at least 90 days--because it's likely doubtful the celebrities would want to clear enough time off of their schedules to participate in a full-length season. Personally, at least in some ways, I think it's fair the pay would be less for a shorter season of the show.

Financially, she's taking in regular salaries from The Talk & the regular versions of Big Brother. Plus she gets paid for any other specials, etc., the network wants her to host. And her husband takes in a multimillion dollar salary each year for running CBS. With all that money coming into their household, she isn't gonna be hurting if she makes less money than usual on 1 edition of Big Brother.

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

Financially, she's taking in regular salaries from The Talk & the regular versions of Big Brother. Plus she gets paid for any other specials, etc., the network wants her to host. And her husband takes in a multimillion dollar salary each year for running CBS. With all that money coming into their household, she isn't gonna be hurting if she makes less money than usual on 1 edition of Big Brother.

Yeah, I have to agree with you and honestly she is being paid a decent salary, but the man is seriously all business.  Can you imagine coming home and having your husband tell you point blank you're taking a pay cut, that's final no negotiation.  And of course the household won't be hurting as I assume they pool all their finances together, but I would be annoyed coming home after work to the all business and no nonsense part.  I've never been married and I'm a middle-aged single woman.  I'm not used to the politics of matrimony so I have to admit that I wouldn't like the way he conducted business after hours.  I believe in separating work from home, but in their case I suppose that's difficult.  Of course I also agree with you that she won't be suffering from lack of funds.  What those in the entertainment industry are paid alongside  my income as a state employee don't even compare.  If I retired after 25-30 years I don't think I will have made what they make in half a year or a year of working.

On 9/15/2017 at 8:16 PM, ally said:

Her lawyer will have to quit or face conflict of interest charges.  I hope Chen tells her hubby that he gets to tell his brother why he's being kicked to the curb.

Edited by jhlipton

Yeah as really think that Hawaii Five 0 is trying to kiss and make up with the audience over on the what they did to Grace and Daniel in hiring Ian Anthony Dale

But with Chen she seems to have gotten her job or to really her critics since she is married to the boss, on a silver platter.

For someone who doesn't wanna spend a few months a year actually working in Hawaii anymore, Grace Park sure seems to be spending enough time there doing other stuff right now. This is a pic, presumably with a fan, that was taken at some recent (presumably charity) polo-related event in Honolulu & posted within the last 24 hours--whether or not the event was also in that time frame, or before it, I don't know.

Grace was also at the recent Toronto International Film Festival, in Canada, promoting Public Schooled, a film she made before she left H50--either in S6 or last season (S7). And before that, there was another photo of her, on Instagram, presumably with a fan & taken in Honolulu.

It just seems weird, to me, that she doesn't seem to wanna do the show anymore, but she still seems to be spending time in Honolulu while they're filming. I suppose Grace could've committed to attend this polo thing before she decided last season would be her last on the show. (shrugs)

11 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

It just seems weird, to me, that she doesn't seem to wanna do the show anymore, but she still seems to be spending time in Honolulu while they're filming.

Or she figured as long as she had to be there for the shooting, do stuff she likes.

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, jhlipton said:

Or she figured as long as she had to be there for the shooting, do stuff she likes.

But that's the thing: Unless they managed to get Grace to do some stuff to explain Kono leaving the team that they can put in different eps, she doesn't have to be in Honolulu anymore while they're filming (& they started at the beginning of July--so if they were gonna get her to film stuff explaining Kono having gone rogue on the team, over the teenage human trafficking ring Five-0 was following in S7, they probably would've done that in July; not now in mid-September, when they're working on something like Ep 808 & a little over 1/3rd of the way through filming the season... already). They're filming S8 now; Kono's been written out & replaced by the new girl, Tani (Meaghan Rath), already.

And I don't think Grace is in very high demand right now for other projects. She's appeared at 1 or 2, maybe more, ComicCon/Sci-Fi & Fantasy Con type events in connection with her Battlestar Galactica reboot character(s) & her time on that show (including the world famous ComicCon in San Diego), & she was at the Toronto International Film Festival promoting that movie she filmed simultaneously with H50 in either S6 or last season (S7). And then she was in Honolulu at that polo event, apparently in the last few days, where she was photographed with either a fan or someone she knows in Honolulu & then also in Honolulu at some other point between when they started filming, shortly after the 4th of July weekend, & this week when that polo match picture was taken. And I haven't seen or heard of anything in any of the industry-related publications saying Grace has been cast in anything else (whereas the industry publications noted that DDK has been cast in the Hellboy movie remake--replacing an "ethnically unsuitable" actor who was originally cast in the role--which started filming almost a week ago).

• Love 1

TVLine.com interviews Ian Anthony Dale (H50's Adam Noshimuri)

The interview is mostly about the finale episode of Salvation, the CBS summer show, also created by Peter Lenkov, in which Ian stars as a US government official trying to stop an apocalyptic asteroid from hitting & destroying Earth.

But the interview also touches on Ian's role on H50, Kono's husband Adam Noshimuri, how it's being expanded into a fulltime character--especially since Kono's been written out of the show following Grace Park's unresolved pay dispute--& how Grace feels about Ian & his character sticking around though she & her character, Kono, are no longer on the show.

Some fairly recent press from the hiatus mentioned something about an ep including a McDanno cargument done in animation, as opposed to the usual live-action format, which would apparently make it a "cartoongument"... or some people say so.

This Tweet includes the "cartoongument" for anyone who might be interested in seeing it in advance. It's in the season premiere this Friday night.

1 hour ago, Mittengirl said:

Why a cartoon segment?  The arguing is bad enough in "real life", but to go to the trouble of animating one?   Why?

I suppose because they felt like it & it was a different way of telling at least some of the story, like when the viewers got to vote on the ending of an episode & when the viewers got to choose different pertinent aspects of the case, like the murder weapon among other things.

Besides, it's only 2 minutes & 9 seconds long; it's not like it's the entire episode.

Speaking for myself, I thought it was cute. The animators did a good job in translating Steve & Danno from live action to animation.

By the way, Lenkov said on social media the animation segment is also something of a "Where's Waldo?" type thing. There are a number of other characters in the animation, to be found whenever they change the shot to something other than McDanno having the cargument. I'm not sure how many other characters are actually in the animation sequence, but it's more than 6 & at least 8, maybe 10, that I think I can come up with. You kinda have to look really fast to see most of the others who are in the animation sequence. They're kind of in there in similar ways to how some of the characters were used in Steve's drug-addled brain in the 100th episode.

I spotted (not necessarily in this order) Steve and Danny, of course; Jerry, Grover, Kamekona, Flippa, Grace & Will (with shave ice), Rachel & Charlie, the Marquis (car), Sang Min, the Camaro, and one of Danny's Season One ties.  And as Danny's hair proceeded from mullet to wispy bits of gray his hairline also receded. 

Thanks for posting the tweet, because the clip is now not easily findable on cbs.com (or I may need a lot more coffee).

2 hours ago, roamyn said:

It's more well done than that ill-advised cartoon-ish CGI of Jack Lord last year.

That particular re-animate a dead person (or re-create an older actor as a young one) is to me never not nuh-uh (triple negative == single negative) Creepy AF.  The Jack Lord one wasn't awful (just CAF), but then I followed up with Rogue One's Peter Cushing & Carrie Fisher, and I saw it after Fisher's death, and just <shudder>.  I get it's a cool CGI but that just means that it is going to be Done To Death.

All that said, I liked the animation.  It was short (2:09), it was full of Easter Eggs, and it was a proper cargument.

Edited by kassygreene
grammar
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, kassygreene said:

I spotted (not necessarily in this order) Steve and Danny, of course; Jerry, Grover, Kamekona, Flippa, Grace & Will (with shave ice), Rachel & Charlie, the Marquis (car), Sang Min, the Camaro, and one of Danny's Season One ties.  And as Danny's hair proceeded from mullet to wispy bits of gray his hairline also receded. 

Thanks for posting the tweet, because the clip is now not easily findable on cbs.com (or I may need a lot more coffee).

You found at least most of the same people as I did, & as everybody has, based on comments on social media &/or to Lenkov's specific social media accounts. I didn't include the cars in my count, for whatever reason. At least not initially. 

Catherine's also in the animation. She's wearing a red swimsuit (I think a 2-piece) & she's surfing, or doing something else on the beach... I think. Lenkov confirmed she's in it. And Wo Fat's in it too (hint: look around the shrimp truck). And Duke (look for a kite).

I wonder if Chin, Kono, Tani or Junior are in it? I didn't see them. Or Adam.

If we're supposed to find all these other characters, besides Steve & Danny (& the cars), in it they should either give us a list of them or tell us how many (in a number) we should look for, so we know if we've found all of them or not.

And...

From TVLine: Lenkov Previews Season 8

Ask & ye shall receive.

In the above post I said I wished someone would post a list of all the characters, besides Steve & Danny, that are in the animated scene CBS released yesterday which, as I remember, is included in this week's 8th season premiere episode.

Earlier today, CBS.com posted more about the animated segment (how it came about, how long it took to complete, etc.). They also included a list, as I'd hoped for, of the other characters included in the animated scene, & where to find them. So if you've been looking for the characters & wanna check your "work", have at it.

15 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Ask & ye shall receive.

In the above post I said I wished someone would post a list of all the characters, besides Steve & Danny, that are in the animated scene CBS released yesterday which, as I remember, is included in this week's 8th season premiere episode.

Earlier today, CBS.com posted more about the animated segment (how it came about, how long it took to complete, etc.). They also included a list, as I'd hoped for, of the other characters included in the animated scene, & where to find them. So if you've been looking for the characters & wanna check your "work", have at it.

CBS missed 1 (well 2) character on their list. According to many people, Rachel & Charlie are holding hands & walking on the beach near where you see Duke Lukela.